closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Weekend in Berlin

Journeyman

Weekend in Berlin

Chaps,

May I draw on the worldly expertise of this forum to ask for advice on where to stay in Berlin over the weekend of 24/25 September? Apparently this coincides with the marathon so prices and availability seem to be at a premium, but perhaps some among you might have a tip or two. Sub-100 euro/night would be smashing.

Please bear in mind that I'm not particularly trendy nor hip, so suggestions of places that involve sleeping in a hammock inside a modified freight train parked in a scrapyard are appreciated if not pursued.

Danke!

the two Holiday inn express are @ £165-£185

the Novotel are about the same but in €165 - 180 (Though come september the exchange rate will not be any better if not worse)

they're pretty well located in the city

if not try the likes of airbnb www.airbnb.com/c/davidr1066 average price of £51 for one night in berlin for one person - ( if you've never used airbnb you'll get £15 credit if you sign up with that link bringing your price down even more = more money to spend on beer and currywurst!)

Master
    I went in February and can recommend;

http://www.ellington-hotel.com/en/

Stylish but good value too, pre brexit, but no doubt all hotel prices will go up if a major event is happening.

As a sometime native I'm not always best placed to advise on hotel-type stuff as I haven't had to book a hotel here for over 15 years. My two tips would be

1. See if you can book the flight and hotel together with British Airways. Goat of this parish did this a while ago and I don't believe you could get better value (he was in a hotel near Zoo and just off the Ku'damm).

2. The local Swedish church offers basic but cheap Pension-type accommodation (circa €50 a night) - we've put a few people in there in the past but I'd say there's a significant risk that some bloody marathan runner has already gazzumped you. Ring them up - they probably speak better English than I do.

https://www.svenskakyrkan.se/berlin

If I have any better ideas I'll update the thread.

On an unrelated note how are you getting on with that West End Sowan with the arabic numbers? If you don't like it I might want it back .

Master
    I was in Berlin last summer (August) and the only thing missing was either a roof top pool or beach.
    Stay in the area of Alexanderplatz/Mitte (Radisson Blu hotel), plenty of shops, bars & restaurants, great transport links, most of the attractions are no more than 30 mins walk away (DDR Museum, Check Point Charlie, Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag Building, Tiergarden, Seigessaule).

Alexander Plaza, Holiday Inn Alexanderplatz, Ibis Styles, Mercure, NH Mitte, Park Inn Radisson, Ramada Alexanderplatz should all be sub €100 per night.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    As a sometime native I'm not always best placed to advise on hotel-type stuff as I haven't had to book a hotel here for over 15 years. My two tips would be

1. See if you can book the flight and hotel together with British Airways. Goat of this parish did this a while ago and I don't believe you could get better value (he was in a hotel near Zoo and just off the Ku'damm).

2. The local Swedish church offers basic but cheap Pension-type accommodation (circa €50 a night) - we've put a few people in there in the past but I'd say there's a significant risk that some bloody marathan runner has already gazzumped you. Ring them up - they probably speak better English than I do.

On an unrelated note how are you getting on with that West End Sowan with the arabic numbers? If you don't like it I might want it back .
    And a very nice time we had! we did indeed stay in the Ku'damm area in a hotel called the H10- it was as Alan says ,booked as a deal with a scheduled BA flight, it was VERY good value and is really very nice if a bit "corporate"- very clean and a good location. Breakfast best taken elsewhere in somewhere like the Literatur haus close by- superb.
    try lunch on floor 6 of the big department store called KDW for an amazing choice from a dozen or so themed eateries.
    Buses cross the city very regularly and are hop-offable
    Have a great time, great city.
    Goat

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post

And a very nice time we had! we did indeed stay in the Ku'damm area in a hotel called the H10- it was as Alan says ,booked as a deal with a scheduled BA flight, it was VERY good value and is really very nice if a bit "corporate"- very clean and a good location. Breakfast best taken elsewhere in somewhere like the Literatur haus close by- superb.
    try lunch on floor 6 of the big department store called KDW for an amazing choice from a dozen or so themed eateries.
    Buses cross the city very regularly and are hop-offable
    Have a great time, great city.
    Goat

Master
    If you want to be a little more central try Clipper City Aparments. The room should come in around budget and the place is great. Barring two stays in the Westin Grand we have stayed in Clipper every other time in Berlin. We are here at the moment and will be back for New Year too. The apartments are spacious and well appointed and punch well above their price point for the location. In one direction you have the Brandenburg Gate 400m, in the other you have Alexanderplatz 1km but with Babelplatz, Lustgarten, the Berliner Dome and Gendarmenmarkt to break up the stroll. The area has all sorts and is safe as some large embassies line the Unter den Linden. If you need anything and if I can help just shout.