closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help me pick a watch :)

Craftsman

Help me pick a watch :)

OK guys. I'll need to pick some brains for this.. I need to find a watch with the following attributes:

Diameter - 36-39mm
    Height - not more than 11,5mm
    WR - suitable for swimming
    Complications - date is a must
    Automatic or manual wind (no quartz)
    Rotating bezel with minute scale is a must

The watch is intended for daily wear so probably nothing too vintage..

Price - up to 2000 gbp

And I have to like the watch :) any ideas?

Seamaster Pro Mid-Size?

Master
    If it wasn't for the rotating bezel I'd have recommended the 36mm Blackbay Tudor. Cracking watch and new rrp is £1940. However if rotating bezel is a must then 2nd hand Seamaster midsize

Craftsman
    Yeah, I got only one issue with them. The bezel is very hard to operate.. that seems to be the issue with the bigger version too.
    But I'm glad for every suggestion :)

Looking at the maximum thickness you gave I immediately thought of the Concord Mariner which is only 10mm thick. However, I see that its slightly broader than what you want. Pretty sure the price is under £2k

Try this thread. Still trying to locate a eterna 1856 kontiki

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=Thin

Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    Try this thread. Still trying to locate a eterna 1856 kontiki

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=Thin
    Another +1 for an 1856 Kontiki. 39mm and 9mm thick. Good luck finding one though... mine isn't for sale ;)

I'll also add a Longines Hydroconquest to the mix. 39mm wide and 10mm thick.

Last edited by Lampoc; 19th August 2016 at 22:23.

Just measured up these for you- bezel comes in at 36.5mm, diameter plus crown-39.5mm, 10.5mm deep.

Solid dependable auto movement, 200m WR so definitely swim safe, graduated bezel, not quite into the overly precious vintage realm yet- sounds like a full house.

I regularly wear both, not at the same time of course ;), for all activities, including work.

Great watches....

And both look just as sharp on their bracelet or a plain old nylon strap (bonus).

http://www.watchrecon.com/

there could be one you like in here somewhere! or i could pull 100 random pictures out for your approval.
    best bet would be for you to possibly find a few that you like then folks could give you their opinions on the pros/cons of each as they saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    http://www.watchrecon.com/

there could be one you like in here somewhere! or i could pull 100 random pictures out for your approval.
    best bet would be for you to possibly find a few that you like then folks could give you their opinions on the pros/cons of each as they saw it.
    Yes. I would like to see 100 pictures of different automatic dive watches measuring 36-39mm and less than 11.5mm thick. Ta!

Banned
    You could get a Sinn

http://www.sinn.de/de/Modell/U200.htm

or a Seiko SKX017

Ah a watch related question on a watch forum, excellent, can we help in any other ways?

Master
    Glycine combat subs are known for their slim profile and loads of bezel colour variations. Not sure of overall diameter may be a bit big.
    Without sounding funny. A very nice lady at Selfridges told me its hand length as well. Basically shorter hands you need a smaller watch to keep things in proportion. You can though have longer hands but thin wrists and still wear large. I genuinely think this works visually, might be worth going to WOS or an equivalent and comparing sizes

Banned
    Buy something much cheaper than 2000 quid, Seiko or Casio diver perhaps, and put the remaining cash into a fund to buy a significant watch later. The 2000 pound region is a no mans land of mediocrity, I would avoid watches near that price.

You will spend your 2000 pounds and then you will witness a magic trick. The watch you paid 2000 pounds for is now suddenly worth 1000 pounds. You made 1000 pounds disappear.

Agreed £2k is a very odd pricepoint nowadays. It doesn't fit your requirement for a date dive bezel but I'd be adding another grand and getting a mint 36mm Explorer. In any event, things get more interesting at £3/£3.5k. You're into latest Datejust and the start of Sub money there.
    Last edited by beechcustom; 20th August 2016 at 11:24.

Master
    2k new watch is yes that no mans land though the Tudor 36mm under 2k is excellent. 2k second hand offers tons of options

Another option that meets all your goals, is a Tag Heuer 2000 (other ranges available). It may not be as exotic as other brands, and a lot under budget but they are very duarable for everyday wearing.

Its 38mm, 200m WR, dive bezel, date complication, Automatic available and around 11mm thick.

I've been very impressed with mine, although its a quartz version of the Blue one above.

Craftsman
    Might be a bit of an odd suggestion, but how about a Breitling Colt in 36mm size. It's marketed as a Womans watch, but is clearly just a smaller version of the 44:

https://www.breitling.com/en/models/colt/colt-36/

Edit: Ooops' didn't reaise it's a quartz only option.
    Last edited by Finners; 20th August 2016 at 12:43.

Journeyman
    Oris Aquis 40mm (or 36mm if you like), maybe Citizen NY2300 at the low end?

Quote Originally Posted by Finners View Post
    Might be a bit of an odd suggestion, but how about a Breitling Colt in 36mm size. It's marketed as a Womans watch, but is clearly just a smaller version of the 44:

https://www.breitling.com/en/models/colt/colt-36/

Edit: Ooops' didn't reaise it's a quartz only option.
    Used, there does seem to be some Auto Colts (in 38mm)
    http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Breitli...538/item/68013

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys :) To elaborate more, I am in the watch madness for 9 years now and have flipped dozens of watches in the 100-2500 GBP region.. I could afford a watch at about 4000 GBP but I kinda never fancied wearing such an expensive watch. I still struggle to justify more than 2500 for one watch...
    I started this thread to see if there will be some pieces that I missed or simply don't know about.

The Zenith Elite, Eterna are quite nice. Those I will put on the watchlist now :) The other ones listed might be nice but each of them has something that would put me off pretty soon.

A Rolex SUB is such a dull watch that I really couldn't get one. But a nice older version of the Explorer II (white) would be quite nice and I probably wouldn't even miss the rotating bezel. And of course a vintage Pepsi from 1983. That would be a perfect birthyear watch.

Im looking forward to see some more suggestions :)

Master
    Well here is a '83

I think they only did this gloss dial for one year
    I've got a new Jankoxxx strap on the way
    Last edited by Dr.f; 20th August 2016 at 19:43.

Craftsman
    John, ho many straps do you want fo that one