closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Upgrading from Hi-Fi to Dolby Atmos

Upgrading from Hi-Fi to Dolby Atmos

Hi guys

Has anyone upgraded from stereo to Dolby Atmos?

I currently have a lush stereo hi-fi setup with a Cyrus Amp and Dali speakers.

The sound quality is so amazing for music but I have recently wanted to give Atmos a go.

Has anyone got an Atmos setup at home?

Thinking of going 5.1.4, any tips?

Thanks!

Do it!!!

A properly set up Atmos system with the right source material (suitably encoded Blu Rays) is a joy to behold. And it's not just on blockbuster material as it can be very subtle in lesser productions too.

The only real issue I see at the moment is the availability of decent Atmos speakers - especially those that sit on top of bookshelf/floor standing speakers. There are still not a lot of options out for Atmos specific speakers of a real quality - KEF R50 aside.

I have a full Bowers and Wilkins set up (and M&K subs) and am "making do" with the little Onkyo Atmos speakers but would like to upgrade to a new set of Atmos speakers like the R50's. However if you have the option to ceiling mount speakers there are some good options available right now - for our house we didn't want to cut into the ceilings hence the Atmos speakers going on the front floor standers.

Master
    I just bought Atmos, I've barely warmed the speakers up yet but it has been brilliant!

Your setup will depend a bit on the budget - most of the mid-range amps will still only support 5.1.2/ 5.2.2. I went for the Denon AVR-X2300x, which has fab reviews, and has been a breeze to setup and operate. Paired it with a Q Acoustics 3000 5.1 and Onkyo SKH-410 Atmos speakers, which are about the cheapest on the market but still very capable.

Blu-Rays obviously sound best but I've been amazed at how good the decoding is from my XBox with PCM 7.1 as the output, the amp does a fantastic job at height adjusting the sound.

I recently upgraded from a 8yr old 'one box' Sony 5.1 system to a Denon AVR-X2300 coupled with Q Acoustics 7000i 5.1 speakers. I have been very impressed, especially when playing Battlefield 4. I have also had incidents where I have been watching a film, a door has closed off screen and I have honestly thought it was the door to my living room being shut. I found that amazing.

In hindsight it might have been a better idea to get some square/rectangular speakers, such as the Q3000i. Because if in future I choose to go Atmos, the only available Atmos speakers are square. They wouldn't match the egg shape of the 7000i. Not a problem for me really as they can be wall mounted but the other half may disagree ;)

My question is simple. Will it improve the listening experience for a CD?
    I ask as the OP is asking about upgrading HiFi.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    No, as Atmos is an encoding format that wouldn't make much sense for CDs...

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    No, as Atmos is an encoding format that wouldn't make much sense for CDs...

Agreed.

It's all about Home cinema but if it's all about audio then 2 channel is still where it's at. Mind you I've got a Roger Waters Blu Ray encoded in Atmos and it's amazing.

Master
    If you don't want to compromise on HiFi you might want to look into Arcam AV and pair it with an Oppo Source. I changed my setup last year, I've not gone down the Atmos route, my set up is Oppo Darbee 103 Blu Ray/CD Player, Arcam AVR450 Amp and ProAc Studio Front and Centre, with ProAc Hexalite Rear Speakers. The sound in both 2 Chanel and 5 is amazing. Easily comparible to my previous setup and with half the kit.

I hope this curveball helps.

Aaron

Master
    Blog Entries
    I can second the above - if you want multichannel and keep really good stereo reproduction without 2 systems an Arcam setup is the way to go. The amp however will cost a lot more than going the Denon/Onkyo etc route. Do check up on AV Forums for threads on the Arcam models - they did have teething issues a few years ago (mine has luckily - touch wood - been reliable so far) but I've not kept up to see if they've ironed out problems

If ultimate high end stereo performance is more important stick with a dedicated stereo system.

What is the collective opinion on Atmos add-on speakers that are available? A quick Google only reveals the Onkyo and the Kef models at opposite ends of the price spectrum, with the Kefs being a challenge to obtain...
    Apart from having the bass response rolled off a little, are Atmos speakers any different to normal speakers? I would be mounting them at the front bouncing the sound off the ceiling.

Master
    I've added a couple of 'ordinary' speakers for Atmos. A couple of Focal domes - the same as I use for rear fx. I've ended up mounting them high up on bookshelves so not ideal. I'd have preferred them on top to bounce the sound off the ceiling. Still sounds great though and a significant improvement over standard 5.1.

I do not like the look of those place on top speakers! It doesn't look nice at all!

My new amp is on the way :D

Managed to get a Pioneer SC-LX88! Can't wait.

Missus is going to kill me, should really have sold the HiFi kit first :D

Also ordered a sub, so now have everything I need for 5.1, will keep my eyes on the price of the ceiling speakers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    What is the collective opinion on Atmos add-on speakers that are available? A quick Google only reveals the Onkyo and the Kef models at opposite ends of the price spectrum, with the Kefs being a challenge to obtain...
    Apart from having the bass response rolled off a little, are Atmos speakers any different to normal speakers? I would be mounting them at the front bouncing the sound off the ceiling.

That's the issue at the moment - add on speakers to your current set up.

I have the Onkyo's and they are, for the money, fine........but I'd like something better/more rounded for sure. Kef R50's are lovely but not £600 lovely in my book....so there is a large gap for Atmos speakers to add on to front (and rear) speakers without ceiling mounting.

Might have a look/listen at these two;

https://elac.com/product/debut-a4/

http://www.klipsch.com/products/elevation-speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Kef R50's are lovely but not £600 lovely in my book
    I've sold a lot of these in high end A/V systems and in sound quality, very close to a KEFLS50, but, as with all quality speakers need quality electronics. They also need to be on good rigid stands. You'll not get a £600 speaker performing well with a £300 surround amplifier. (Not saying yours is at all... just generalising)

The Uni-Q arrangement in their speakers is excellent for A/V as there is no particular 'sweet spot' so ideal for less than perfect speaker positioning.