closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 Door sensible, yet not too sensible "super saloon" purchase advice

Good thing to think about. Have to say as we have a 330 for crap journeys, life is too short for a diesel. I reckon sub 5k miles a year so all diesels are out.

I really want a V8/V10 as I have never owned a car with that engine format so will have a look.

I hadn't really thought about the Mercs, I'll have a closer look!

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Current shape BMW 640D grand coupe, I bought a nearly new two door recently, the four door is a very underrated car, often overlooked, get a test drive, you will be surprised, 0-60 in 5 seconds and 50+ to the gallon
    Unlikely to pick one up for £20k though!

Any of the big AMGs would be my choice, possibly even the S class but probably the E class estate or CLS.

Master
    Don't underestimate how much stuff you have to cart around with a young baby! At the end of the day with a young family you need something that is safe, practical, reliable and comfortable - that pretty much defines a German estate car. Personally I would steer clear of the really sporty ones - are you ever going to be able to use that performance with the little one in the back and living in London, but you will still have to live with the rock hard ride and poor MPG - the worst of both worlds. We had a 330d touring from just before my daughter's birth until just recently (she is now 3) and it was a great family car for us in London. We are expecting our 2nd child in November though so have gone supersize with an X5 now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    BPR, where are you based?
    If you're in the North West ish, I'll gladly take you out in the E55 estate.
    Might even let you have a go if you're a good un'.

I'd go with the Jaguar XFR - fantastic performance, a beautiful interior and a bit special.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master

First things first!

Cant really comment on what you should buy but when you've decided make sure the first thing you do is fit one of these:

http://www.kiddicare.com/p/Diono_Ult..._Protector.htm

It will be the best £17 you've ever spent!

Craftsman
    Think one of these was previously mentioned: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-S8-5-...QAAOSwnNBXbuPo

Plenty of room in one of them, I had a 2008 A6 Le mans a few years a go and even that was massive, lovely car and absolutely faultless even at 120k when I sold it.

I have an F10 M5 and a son approaching 18 months old. It feels really safe when I'm carting him and the dragon about. Then when I'm out on my own or with my mates, it's like driving a firework (on private roads, of course).

Although they're north of 20k at the moment, with the new shape out next year I expect prices will fall like a stone in the near future.

I love the E60 M5 - but the economy on it is hideous. One of my suppliers used to use it to the office and back, the worst return he got for a tank was 110 miles. I know they had notoriously small tanks, but that's pretty ridiculous.

Another thing to bear in mind is maintenance costs of an M5. Ideally you want it with a BMW/Mondial warranty (which is getting a little more challenging on the E60s.)

The E90 M3 is nice and sounds delicious, but with a baby seat in the back it was a bit too cramped for me, hence why I opted for the M5.
    Last edited by haberdashery; 6th September 2016 at 20:13.

There's a reason people with kids drive 4x4's and people carriers - try lifting a small child in and out of a low slung car a few times and your back will start to complain!
    I'm no petrolhead (and used to live in SW London) so don't really get the performance car thing - and as you're likely at the beginning if the child thing (1 baby is often followed by another a couple of years later after all!) You need loads of room for all the clutter kids involve, seats you can wipe down, no fancy gadgets the kids can reach/rip off (so no caramel or white leather interiors for a while) - and having had a small child projectile vomit all over the back of my old Volvo Estate while parked in Wimbledon - no, you cant remove the smell of sick. I'd advise buying a car you dont care about, make sure the boot is big enough for a buggy and return to decent cars when the youngest is about 5!
    A sobering thought to leave you with - one of my friends found his son 'drawing pictures' on the sides of Daddy's car (M3) with a stone. He'd managed to deeply scratch every panel with a picture of mummy or daddy 😮

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePurpleRed View Post
    Good thing to think about. Have to say as we have a 330 for crap journeys, life is too short for a diesel. I reckon sub 5k miles a year so all diesels are out.

I really want a V8/V10 as I have never owned a car with that engine format so will have a look.

I hadn't really thought about the Mercs, I'll have a closer look!
    here you go :-)

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/gener...rive-tips.html

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I know two people who have bought them and and then sold them quickly, both said the same thing, great car but can't live with 13 mpg, what does yours do?
    Hers averages 22mpg, which isn't bad for a 6.2 v8

To get 13mpg they must use the throttle like a switch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    I'd still stick to 4 doors though, lifting a child seat out of the back seat in a 2 door is a good way to do your back in.
    Don't really agree. I had a 1 series coupe when ours was tiny, far easier to step into the car and stick him straight into the seat than post him through the gap from the side in her indoors' CRV. As he got older and could walk he could step into the car and get in by himself, with the CRV as the seat was too high for that he needed lifting in.

That said, given that popping to the shops with a nipper these days entails taking more stuff with you than an adult would need for a month away from home, a big car like the CRV was essential.

Anyway, my point: if you have space for two cars one fun and one sensible can work.

BPR, where are you based?
    I live in SW London
    So sub-15mpg is definitely possible :)

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    There's a reason people with kids drive 4x4's and people carriers - try lifting a small child in and out of a low slung car a few times and your back will start to complain!
    I'm no petrolhead (and used to live in SW London) so don't really get the performance car thing - and as you're likely at the beginning if the child thing (1 baby is often followed by another a couple of years later after all!) You need loads of room for all the clutter kids involve, seats you can wipe down, no fancy gadgets the kids can reach/rip off (so no caramel or white leather interiors for a while) - and having had a small child projectile vomit all over the back of my old Volvo Estate while parked in Wimbledon - no, you cant remove the smell of sick. I'd advise buying a car you dont care about, make sure the boot is big enough for a buggy and return to decent cars when the youngest is about 5!
    A sobering thought to leave you with - one of my friends found his son 'drawing pictures' on the sides of Daddy's car (M3) with a stone. He'd managed to deeply scratch every panel with a picture of mummy or daddy 

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Although abit off thread, being a relatively new dad of 2 (3y/o and 1 y/o) I would second this comment. I drive a Porsche Cayenne S I bought 3 years ago. Pretty sure you can nab a Turbo version for your budget if you decide to look at SUVs. The v8 sounds really good as well.

P.s. I would also suggest black leather seats, to better clean vomit off!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Hers averages 22mpg, which isn't bad for a 6.2 v8

To get 13mpg they must use the throttle like a switch
    Well done sir http://www.fuelly.com/car/mercedes-benz/c63_amg it only copies in US, so change to UK
    Last edited by adrianw; 7th September 2016 at 09:13.

Of the suggestions so far I'm preferring the leftfield options. Vauxhall VXR8 6.2, Lexus IS-F and Maserati Quattro Porte. However if you think a SUV may do, a Range Rover Sport Supercharger could be worth a punt. I saw one being given the beans last week at a local supercar meet and it went like a stabbed rat!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Don't really agree. I had a 1 series coupe when ours was tiny, far easier to step into the car and stick him straight into the seat than post him through the gap from the side in her indoors' CRV. As he got older and could walk he could step into the car and get in by himself, with the CRV as the seat was too high for that he needed lifting in.

That said, given that popping to the shops with a nipper these days entails taking more stuff with you than an adult would need for a month away from home, a big car like the CRV was essential.

Anyway, my point: if you have space for two cars one fun and one sensible can work.
    Must be a lot more room in the back than when mine were babies you definitely couldnt step into the back and we tended to take them out
    in the seat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    S4 also worthy of thought
    Beat me to it. I had a B8 V6 and it's quick. Quick remap and you have 420 horses!!

Master
    A word to those (incl the OP) considering an e60 M5.

Make sure you can live with the gearbox in traffic and with the fuel economy (or lack thereof) combined with the tiny tank. With the M button pressed the V10 makes a great noise and is supercar fast. But as that was only about 10% of my driving time I sold it and bought an e93.

A really good e39 however may look a very clever buy in a few years time, and plenty fast enough for the real world.

My wife has one of the big-engined Subarus. Cons - it's a little bit thirsty and....err that's about it.really

It was high mileage when we got it and is much much higher now. A couple of idle pulleys on the fanbelt went (20 minute easy job to replace) and that's it as far as faults are concerned.

I was annoyed when the exhaust went the other day and got a quote for many hundreds from slowfit ...£79 for pattern parts, from a well known auction site, 2 hours of WD40, angle grinder and rust flakes in my teeth later and Robert's your auntie .. much quietness for another 100,000 miles...

Advice well appreciated.

I am torn between the BMW E39 and the Maser QP. The E60 (V10) M5 was in the lead but is fading fast. I think a well selected and then cherished E39 will stay flat in value and maybe even rise up a little over 3 or 4 years but perhaps a 20k E60 has 15k written on it by then?

I am slowly succumbing to the fact that with her little neck unable to support her head in the seat (baby not wife!) as it is I need something quiet and smooth, so Mitsubishi Evo V -> IX may be now at the bottom. Something that is "an event" even on the A3 mooching along. So I am now totally fine with a proper Auto too.

I think I have to sit in and drive a great example of each and see. I won't feel guilty about that as I have £20k waiting and anything I see will be well within that so if I do fall in love with it I should be able to buy there and then and not be a timewaster.

I will let everyone know what I get and if I run into any comedic bills or issue I will share. However if the QP drives and sounds like I remember from it and the 3200 I had 5 days in round the Evo triangle I may fall for it.

THe M5 I think has to be in Interlagos Blue for me to want it, so thats quite limiting.

If you're in the North West ish, I'll gladly take you out in the E55 estate.
    Might even let you have a go if you're a good un'.
    That was a super kind offer! I am in SW London and I have lost whether you are NW England or NW London.

Us Londoners thinking we are centre of the universe hey! lol.

Chosen!

So despite the lovely and thoughtful advice, I have ignored you all and gone with the Maserati Quattroporte in the end anyway.

I just had to try something Italian and V8. It may prove a costly mistake but it will at least be a fun one. I need to do a few bits to it but if anyone is interested I will post up on here a few links to the PH / Detailing World posts I will do.

Nothing serious, just some engine bay detailing and minor paint correction. Also the stick buttons will need doing and I think I have a cure for that too.

The engine is a beauty and I will be all over an AMG or M5 Touring in a few years as longer car journeys are made with bikes etc.

I now need a bigger garage!

very nice car

Craftsman
    I was going to recommend jaguar XJR, but you have made a good choice enjoy.

Is it the ZF auto or duoselect?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Is say an E39 M5. Enjoy one of the best sports saloons ever mad for a couple of years then sell it and make a profit!
    Exactly. I just bought one for stock and paid well in excess of £30.000. Fabulous car

Late news. Sorry. Didn't realise the OP was already served.

Master
    So despite the lovely and thoughtful advice, I have ignored you all and gone with the Maserati Quattroporte in the end anyway.

I just had to try something Italian and V8. It may prove a costly mistake but it will at least be a fun one. I need to do a few bits to it but if anyone is interested I will post up on here a few links to the PH / Detailing World posts I will do.

Nothing serious, just some engine bay detailing and minor paint correction. Also the stick buttons will need doing and I think I have a cure for that too.

The engine is a beauty and I will be all over an AMG or M5 Touring in a few years as longer car journeys are made with bikes etc.

Great choice - look forward to seeing pics.

Journeyman

well, I'm plenty biased, but..

..have a look at the new Giulia..

http://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/promotions/Giulia

Craftsman
    I bought last years 6cyl Volvo V60 Polestar as you could get it new with 25% off - sub £40k - as it was a perfect motorway Q car. Not sure the new 4cyl is as good:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volvo/v...ar-2016-review
    I thought £ for £ it was a practical performance car with all options included in base price and the practicality of 4wd and plenty of space. It doesn't have the quodos of many of the marques mentioned but it is a good left field under the radar daily drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

Have you joined sportsmaserati.com yet? If not I'd suggest you do, lots of useful info and people over there.