closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Blancpain Bathyscaphe

Blancpain Bathyscaphe

Hi all,

I'm pondering purchasing a BP Bathyscaphe.

On paper I liked everything about this watch when it first came out - the case size (and thickness), the simple dial, the narrow bezel. I recently tried on a steel version and it confirmed all my first impressions, on top of which I really liked the grey dial. But before taking the plunge I was hoping for a bit of advice from any owners:

- How hard wearing is it? I'm particularly wondering if the brushed steel marks easily.
    - Titanium watches have never really been on my radar - but should I be taking a look at the titanium version in this case?
    - Which strap/case combination do you think works best?

Any other thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

James

Try both on. I preferred the Ti version. The strap was the best option for me and looks fantastic.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The strap was the best option for me and looks fantastic.
    Thanks. Was that the Black sailcloth or the olive?

Quote Originally Posted by diranija View Post
    Thanks. Was that the Black sailcloth or the olive?
    Black for me - just looks right :)

I can see how the black face of the titanium would work well with that strap. I will look out for one to try on.

Just a thought - did you get the brushed titanium or were you one of the few ceramised Ti?

Take the plunge with the SS version. This has one of the most mesmerizing dials I have seen on a watch and I have owned a couple of watches in my time. I prefer the olive strap. I have the Chrono on a green nato and the three hander on the bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    This has one of the most mesmerizing dials I have seen on a watch
    That's exactly what I thought about the grey dial when I tried it on. Thanks for the photo on the bracelet - the first I've seen that's not a stock photo.

I've dismissed it as not my cuppa as there too much of 'empty' dial (probably just me) but Raj's one, chrono version on nato is lovely!

I can see how the black face of the titanium would work well with that strap. I will look out for one to try on.

Just a thought - did you get the brushed titanium or were you one of the few ceramised Ti?
    I didn't buy, yet. I was just a Basel in 2013 and was provided with some champagne and a look at the Bathyscape range.

The Bathyscape 3-hander is the only watch I lust after.

Now I don't have my FF Calendar, the urge to get one of the chronos is getting stronger. Fantastic update of the old FPiguet movement and a very different look.

Yet to see one on a bracelet, may check the boutique next week.

Master
    I have the stainless steel, non-chrono model, and I absolutely love it. The stainless steel seems to be fairly hard-wearing.

I wear mine on the black Blancpain Nato with the leather detailing and the chunky metal fixtures, and I think it suits the look and character of the watch perfectly.

The dial, as you say, is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen on a watch.

My feeling is the stainless would suit the character of the watch better but I could be swayed either way...

Master
    Take the plunge with the SS version. This has one of the most mesmerizing dials I have seen on a watch and I have owned a couple of watches in my time. I prefer the olive strap. I have the Chrono on a green nato and the three hander on the bracelet.

Love the Chrono

Master
    If only they made a 40mm model. That would be perfection. 43mm with a thin bezel is far too big for me

I love everything about the three-hander apart from the date at half four

I think I am coming down on the side of the steel version (3 hand). Good to hear that it stands up to a bit of abuse.

Not sure about the bracelet though - I'm going to make some calls and see if someone has one I can see.

Journeyman

Bathy in steel, a few comments

- Wears very comfortably (on my 18,5 -19 cm wrist) on a two-piece strap; sits a little bit high on the nato, though. Case thickness 13,6 mm, lug-to-lug 49,4 mm. Weight 99 g on the sailcloth strap, 106 g with OEM NATO.
    - I myself opted for steel, firstly I consider it a more "solid" material, for a tool watch, secondly, there is a titanium watch in my collection already. Also, I like the dial colour of the steel version much better.
    - Excellent legibility, under any light conditions.
    - My piece came with excellently adjusted and regulated movement. I still absolutely love the look of the spartan decoration of the movement.
    - The five-day winding autonomy is no marketing trick: in fact, my bathy stops after 6 days, 6 hours. Excellently adjusted to isochronism, the first 4 days show very stable rate, in both horizontal and vertical positions, and a very good amplitude.
    - The movement is perhaps the principle value you receive in the Bathy!
    - No comments re attraction of scratches. No problems.
    - I wear it most time on an OEM leather strap, dark brown barennia leather with rubber lining (EUR 100,- in Blancpain Boutique, 2014). Despite the strange dimensions, Bathy shares a good selection of straps offered for L-volution models.
    - The OEM pin buckle has a very sharp edge which I suspected would be unfriendly with the soft barennia, I've ground off the edge a bit. Will do the same on the NATO buckle; although it has not been worn too much, the leather strip is already scratched a lot.
    - Also, the Nato is almost impossible to put on, without removing the spring bar, due to the too narrow space between the bar and case edge, vs the thick Nato strap (with its leather strip covering the holes).

Hope this helps. Pls let us know of your final decision, and good luck in the selection!

petr

Apprentice
    There is a new black ceramic Bathyscaphe(3 hander not the ceramic chrono) and a Sedna RG. It it has the same black dial as the Ti version.

http://diveintowatches.com/2015/03/2...omment-page-1/

Craftsman

Huge fan here...

My personal preference is for the NATO, which is quite possibly the most badass NATO strap yet devised by the hand of man, but for all the badassery, it does block the view of the movement.

Which version to get? Barring the unobtainium cermamised titanium model, my vote would be for steel with the mesmerizing Meteor Grey dial. Pictures simply don't do it justice.

Regards,
    Adam

Journeyman
    Thank-you, Adam, for the superb pics, especially that with the new bracelet. Whose only negative is its price...
    petr

Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post
    Which version to get? Barring the unobtainium cermamised titanium model, my vote would be for steel with the mesmerizing Meteor Grey dial. Pictures simply don't do it justice.

Regards,
    Adam
    Thanks for the advice Adam - I was thinking of going with the steel.

Do you know the size of wrist that the bracelet would fit as standard? I have an 8" wrist and had to buy an extra link for a BP fifty fathoms sport I used to have.

Master
    Like craniotes, I am a huge fan of the BP Nato that comes with the watch.

I'm not a big fan of steel bracelets, personally, but the bracelet in the photos above looks absolutely superb, and really works well with the watch.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the advice Adam - I was thinking of going with the steel.

Do you know the size of wrist that the bracelet would fit as standard? I have an 8" wrist and had to buy an extra link for a BP fifty fathoms sport I used to have.
    To be honest, I don't know what the max sized wrist is that it'll fit out of the box. Ordinarily I'd say that you're fine with an 8" wrist, but if the X-71 bracelet doesn't fit you without an extra link, then it stands to reason that this one won't, either.

That notwithstanding, the Bathyscaphe bracelet -- pricey, though it may be -- definitely lives up to the standard set by the X-71.

Regards,
    Adam

Thanks Adam - your reply makes good sense.

I remember wincing at the price of the X-71 bracelet but completely agree that it was a very well engineered thing (complete with fitting kit!).

I think the bracelet is long enough for an 8!inch wrists I remember taking quite a few links off.

Quote Originally Posted by craniotes;3514310
    [URL=http://s114.photobucket.com/user/craniotes/media/Blancpain/332EED06-801A-46C5-BB8B-013403BBB664_zpscsbdvim8.jpg.html
    [/URL]
    Oh dear, great-looking watch but the date window makes me sea-sick!

Truely a watch to aspire towards.

Is it possible to get the black dial on a stainless steel model?

It doesn't appear so but I thought that perhaps someone here could confirm the bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyWheels View Post
    Is it possible to get the black dial on a stainless steel model?
    Aftraid not. It's just the "meteor grey" dial with the stainless.

Craftsman
    how many meters is depth rate?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennycaribbean View Post
    how many meters is depth rate?
    I am shocked it doesn't say on the dial. Can't be any good, that one.

Although I like the FF series very much with their iconic design and history, the bathyscape looks like a cheap Casio diver, IMHO.

I am resurrecting this thread as I have a potential trade for the 3-hander steel Bathyscape on Black NATO.

Love the look of this watch, just seeing if there are any reservations?

Wow this is one of those rare watches that truly look even better as chrono.

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    I am resurrecting this thread as I have a potential trade for the 3-hander steel Bathyscape on Black NATO.

None except usual drop in prices on secondary market.

Master

But.....Oh what a terrible place to stick the date...IMVHO that is.

Master
    Sorry have to say looked at one in Marylebone High Street. Didn't give me a thrill. Maybe I'm secretly a bit blingy but feel that standard Seamasters, Subs and Aquatimers have more wow factor.

Master
    I had a steel three-hander for a year or so. I still think the grey dial is one of the most beautiful I have seen; it changes character every time you move your wrist, and is the perfect complement to the simplicity of the dial. Mine was on the Nato, which was the highest quality I have ever come across.

Damn, I want another one...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post

I have absolutely no reservations about mine.

I think the all brushed finish gives it a more subtle and understated tool like appearance than a Sub or SD.
    Some might not like that, but I love it.

A recent picture of the watch that encompasses recent discussions about brownies/darkies, shoes, suits etc:-)

Master
    I tried these on the wrist last week in Zurich and was blown away, especially by the ceramic iteration. Utterly gorgeous.

Craftsman
    Does not do a lot for me to be honest.

I still have a WTB for a steel / nato version in good nick... If anybody knows something, pls PM...

A recent picture of the watch that encompasses recent discussions about brownies/darkies, shoes, suits etc:-)

The watch is gorgeous, but has it wronged you somehow and you're punishing it with that strap? :-)

Craftsman
    I love this watch, tried it on in Bond Street and I think on the right strap it is quite an elegant diver. Definitely on my possible purchase list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Has anyone seen the blue faced ceramic one up close? If so, what do you think?

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk