closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Damasko Price has gone up

Apprentice

Damasko Price has gone up

Just noticed Damasko has put the price up by %10. glad i ordered mine before this.

Is it just the price in £ that has gone up, or across the board on their website?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Is it just the price in £ that has gone up, or across the board on their website?
    across the board too.

Master
    Looks like Nomos has done the same

Master
    Add Sinn to the list, at least on Jura prices have went up a wee bit

Pah! These German brands are making like the Swiss ones with their pricing.

No way I can see myself spending £1.5k on a U1 or EZM3. I accept profit margins exist, but this strikes me as silly.

It is just to rebalance the weak pound isn't it?

Master
    Has everyone seen their new diver? Higher prices plus an incredibly shitty design is going to be a sure winner for them.

Quote Originally Posted by ej86 View Post
    Pah! These German brands are making like the Swiss ones with their pricing.

No way I can see myself spending £1.5k on a U1 or EZM3. I accept profit margins exist, but this strikes me as silly.
    Really? You could apply the same argument to Rolex.

I reckon Damasko is a bit of a bargain - and an absolutely quality watch........

Al

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Really? You could apply the same argument to Rolex.

I reckon Damasko is a bit of a bargain - and an absolutely quality watch........

Al
    yes, and I do apply the same to Rolex - I accept that they are luxury items, but I just can't see how they are that valuable.

Maybe I'm just stingy, but I think think the amount people (at times including myself) are game to pay for watches has got a bit silly.

With the advent of the smart watch and wages practically stagnant since the crash in 2008 for a lot of people, I think that a number of watch companies, in particular the German ones are pricing themselves slowly but surely into oblivion. I don't get the current trend for price increases and am slowly but surely selling most of my mechanical watches. Not to put too fine a point on how I feel.......f*ck 'em!

Sinn prices went up on 1st September - I believe this is an annual rise with them? I'm not sure how it's applied across the range but a couple of the models I was looking at had risen in price by almost 20%?! That seems pretty excessive and can only assume a jump like that is a double whammy of annual price increase and exchange rate 'leveller' thrown together.

Journeyman
    I'm sure Damaskos are as well-built as everyone says but to spend that kind of coin on essentially a very nice beater doesn't make sense to me. To each their own though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nyonya View Post
    I'm sure Damaskos are as well-built as everyone says but to spend that kind of coin on essentially a very nice beater doesn't make sense to me. To each their own though.
    In all fairness they are very reasonably priced for the technology and design and blow a lot of their competitors away for the same money. The styling may not be to your taste but in this world of watches, they are cheap!

Just to add, £950 for the DA36 is still very reasonable in my opinion. Find me a watch of equal quality, design with similar tech for the same money?
    Last edited by stix; 25th September 2016 at 16:13.

you should see how Rolex charge for theirs

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    In all fairness they are very reasonably priced for the technology and design and blow a lot of their competitors away for the same money. The styling may not be to your taste but in this world of watches, they are cheap!

Just to add, £950 for the DA36 is still very reasonable in my opinion. Find me a watch of equal quality, design with similar tech for the same money?
    I'm not saying that it's unreasonable for the quality, but it's a lot of scratch for a watch that can't realistically be worn in a business casual or formal setting (I know some people wear G-Shocks to the office but I don't think I could do that).

Given an unlimited watch budget though, most likely would be my beater watch!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    you should see how Rolex charge for theirs
    Can't really disagree, but a Submariner, even though it's a dive watch, is perfectly acceptable with a suit, so at least it's more versatile. That said, trying to justify a Rolex's price with anything besides prestige (and maybe resale down the road) is lunacy :)

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post

The Archimedes outdoor also has a hardened case, reportedly has better lume, and costs a third less. Not sure about the design though.

Craftsman
    I recently got a damasko, and for the price point think the quality is far higher than many more expensive competitors. IMO significant step up in quality from Oris, Tag etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I certainly wouldn't fancy paying near enough £1500 for a Sinn U1. But why buy brand new when good as new examples pop up on SC quite often? I paid £875 for an April 2015 model just a couple of months ago. Over that time it has become my daily wearer and has lost around 35 seconds.

Damaskos have a distinct identity just as they have an identifiable and talented engineer creator.
    To my mind Damaskos carry a certain attitude which not everyone will get.

Master
    I'm not saying that it's unreasonable for the quality, but it's a lot of scratch for a watch that can't realistically be worn in a business casual or formal setting (I know some people wear G-Shocks to the office but I don't think I could do that).

Can't really disagree, but a Submariner, even though it's a dive watch, is perfectly acceptable with a suit, so at least it's more versatile. That said, trying to justify a Rolex's price with anything besides prestige (and maybe resale down the road) is lunacy :)
    What the hell kind of business are you in that means you can't wear a DA36 to work, but think watch built for scuba diving is perfectly acceptable? i think this says more about your perceptions of brand rather than the actual watch design.
    Last edited by Padders; 25th September 2016 at 21:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ej86 View Post
    The Archimedes outdoor also has a hardened case, reportedly has better lume, and costs a third less. Not sure about the design though.
    Yes it does but it doesn't come close in my opinion.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    What the hell kind of business are you in that means you can't wear a DA36 to work, but think watch built for scuba diving is perfectly acceptable? i think this says more about your perceptions of brand rather than the actual watch design.
    It's not about my perceptions - it's about what other people do. I work at a major bank, and seeing a Sub (or a Daytona) is not uncommon. Don't see a whole lot of people wearing Damasko-style pieces.

It's not about my perceptions - it's about what other people do. I work at a major bank, and seeing a Sub (or a Daytona) is not uncommon. Don't see a whole lot of people wearing Damasko-style pieces.
    This is probably because the number of Damaskos in use is miniscule in comparison to the millions of watches made by the more common makes such as Rolex. Also Damasko isn't a watch for the hoi polloi, it's an archetypal WIS brand.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    This is probably because the number of Damaskos in use is miniscule in comparison to the millions of watches made by the more common makes such as Rolex. Also Damasko isn't a watch for the hoi polloi, it's an archetypal WIS brand.
    I agree, that's a lot of it. I do think that the stark style of the DA36 would be harder to pull off than other microbrands. To each their own though. I do appreciate the Damasko pieces' construction.

Give it a try - shock the establishment! Jeez - if ever there was the wrong reason to wear a Rolex, AP, Hublot, etc - it is to conform to the "vanilla" look of ones' peers........

Al

Journeyman
    Give it a try - shock the establishment! Jeez - if ever there was the wrong reason to wear a Rolex, AP, Hublot, etc - it is to conform to the "vanilla" look of ones' peers........

Al
    I agree - I've gotten some second looks on my Cocktail Time ;)

I agree, that's a lot of it. I do think that the stark style of the DA36 would be harder to pull off than other microbrands. To each their own though. I do appreciate the Damasko pieces' construction.

"Pulling it off" is for the poser, watches should be worn only for the enjoyment of the owner and not to impress others.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    "Pulling it off" is for the poser, watches should be worn only for the enjoyment of the owner and not to impress others.
    I agree - but if it makes the owner self-conscious about the watch in certain settings, that certainly takes away from the enjoyment...

I agree - but if it makes the owner self-conscious about the watch in certain settings, that certainly takes away from the enjoyment...
    Then that is a person with "issues" - who bolsters those, by the addition of jewellery, clothing to overcome those issues..............

That person needs to seek counselling, or "man the fcuk up" and deal with it..........

Jeez! I wear what the fcuk - I want!

Al

Master
    If it really makes you self conscious to have the 'wrong' watch and image is all consuming, go buy the Deepsea you really want and join Rolexforums where like minded types can stroke your ego and reassure you that you 'fit in'.

Journeyman
    Then that is a person with "issues" - who bolsters those, by the addition of jewellery, clothing to overcome those issues..............

That person needs to seek counselling, or "man the fcuk up" and deal with it..........

Jeez! I wear what the fcuk - I want!

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    If it really makes you self conscious to have the 'wrong' watch and image is all consuming, go buy the Deepsea you really want and join Rolexforums where like minded types can stroke your ego and reassure you that you 'fit in'.
    I'm not sure why this conversation turned into an attack on me but this will be my last message here. Carry on.

I'm not sure why this conversation turned into an attack on me but this will be my last message here. Carry on.
    It hasn't

You wrote in the third person - about your colleagues, and the world you work in.........

It is those people I commented on.

If it transpires that it was you - you were talking about .............then my comments apply squarely - with you.

Keep buying watches - to bolster your feelings of inadequacy.

Al

Fair point.

I'm not saying that it's unreasonable for the quality, but it's a lot of scratch for a watch that can't realistically be worn in a business casual or formal setting (I know some people wear G-Shocks to the office but I don't think I could do that).....

Can't really disagree, but a Submariner, even though it's a dive watch, is perfectly acceptable with a suit, so at least it's more versatile.
    I can appreciate how that might be the case at your place of work.

Quite right. Some say it doesn't matter what others think. Grown ups might take a different view.

It takes honesty and self assurance to admit that.

You have been shabbily treated here.