closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: NOMOS or Junghans

Master

NOMOS or Junghans

I was wondering what your views are on the brands. I know neither have a long history but is one more respected than the other.

I'm interested in the NOMOS Tangente and Metro or the Junghans Max Bill.

Junghans history is lot lot longer than Nomos, though they took a break from mechanical watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Junghans history is lot lot longer than Nomos, though they took a break from mechanical watches.
    True, and I believe they were pioneers when it came to quartz movements.

I guess the biggest difference is movement. I think I'm right in assuming NOMOS is almost entirely in house now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I guess the biggest difference is movement. I think I'm right in assuming NOMOS is almost entirely in house now.
    I think what Nomos has achieved over the past few years is astonishing - to be almost completely in-house now at this price level is really admirable and you have to tip your hat to the company. Junghans produce some really nice watches - the Max Bill Chronoscope being the pick of the bunch in my view - but if you have the budget to each for a Nomos I think it's a worthwhile and very cool choice.

SGR

The second hand price for a basic manual Nomos is about £600 atm. The Max Bill auto is new from a GM for about the same, but only a bit less used. I've the Max Bill (and thanks to good exchange sale at the time paid a lot less), because thats the watch I wanted, but I do think the Nomos would be much better value for money.

Master
    The second hand price for a basic manual Nomos is about £600 atm. The Max Bill auto is new from a GM for about the same, but only a bit less used. I've the Max Bill (and thanks to good exchange sale at the time paid a lot less), because thats the watch I wanted, but I do think the Nomos would be much better value for money.
    That's interesting. My only issue with some of the cheaper NOMOS is the size, 35/36mm is just a bit small. 38mm is fine with me but I think the Junghans Chronoscope at 40mm may be ideal.

My reference for the Max Bill is a Nivrel I got for almost exactly the same price. Both no date 2824. Nivrel have removed the date mechanism to some degree, whereas on the Junghans it still clicks round. There's nothing wrong with the Junghans case, but the Nivrel is requires a lot more craftsmanship. Neither of them have perfect dials. The Nivrel has a truly wonderful strap. The junghans strap I think very nasty (though some like it) Hence my occasional feeling that the Junghans is overpriced to a degree. But I wanted that design, and so I had no choice, and I've never regretted that choice. If I could have a Nomos movement in a Max Bill design, built by Nivrel..... ;)

Craftsman
    That's interesting. My only issue with some of the cheaper NOMOS is the size, 35/36mm is just a bit small. 38mm is fine with me but I think the Junghans Chronoscope at 40mm may be ideal.
    .. as per previously noted elsewhere and here - you really have to try the Nomos on @ 35mm for size. They wear big for the strict dimensions as the bezel is practically non-existant.

My Orion is a good case in point:

.. slight annoyance is that some of the traditional alpha based models haven't yet switched over to the in-house swing
    system; which may or may not bother you..

cheers,
    al

Regarding the 35mm vs 38mm question, all dial designs such as the majority of the Nomos range wear huge so 35mm is actually the size to go for if you have average wrists.

And the lugs. Don't forget the extraordinarily long lugs on most Nomos, certainly the Club range anyway.

I currently own a 36mm Nomos Club and haven't ever felt it was too small. In fact, I sold the 39mm Datum because the lugs were too long for my preference. And I'm currently wearing a Seiko Turtle at 44mm so size isn't an issue for me.

I guess it could come down to whether you don't mind being limited to Nomos servicing, or would prefer a choice of independents for the Max Bill.

Both are classics though

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I guess it could come down to whether you don't mind being limited to Nomos servicing, or would prefer a choice of independents for the Max Bill:
    On his blog Christian Dannemann wrote: Nomos supplies independent repairers like me with parts at very affordable prices

http://watchguy.co.uk/repair-service...calibre-alpha/

Craftsman
    In my view both wear on the large side and both are gorgeous. It was the long lugs, that seemed to float above my wrist on most of the Nomos models that put me off buying. That said the Metro lugs did not seem as bad to me. I ended up buying a Junghans (which was my third from the brand) and I love it. Ultimately, it would be hard to go wrong on this one.

I find the Max Bill a rung or two lower in quality from the Nomos I have handled, as befits the price differential. However, the MB is an iconic design whereas Nomos's efforts are just.....nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Well, I purchased a Max Bill Chronoscope in the Jura's sale in the end. I'm not sure about the mesh though.

What are opinions on this as alternative?

http://www.watch-band-center.com/wat...-original.html

I'm even considering a NATO. I'll get pictures up tomorrow

Craftsman
    Congratulations. I have mine on an Eulit and it is superbly comfortable but not very long.
    To be honest though I would go for the two part version if I ordered again as you can then see the clear case back.
    Personally I am not sure about the strap you suggested but if you like it go for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a link for the one I bought.
    https://www.watchgecko.com/eulit-palma-pazific-perlon-watch-strap.php

Master
    I love rally straps but I'm not sure either it would suit it.

I guess it's a chronograph at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    NOMOS of course.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    NOMOS of course.
    A little late.

But you knew that!!! :)

Banned
    A little late.

But you knew that!!! :)
    Oh dear...

Nomos its much nicer

Apprentice
    I have a 7.25 inch wrist and the Nomos 35mm is spot on for me, below...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ateague View Post
    I have a 7.25 inch wrist and the Nomos 35mm is spot on for me, below...
    That looks great! Saw that one in real life and it is incredible thin and elegant. I went for the Minimatik instead after a lot of thought and the realization that Orion lugs are borderline too long for me. But I still admire that design...

Cheers
    Mabuse

Apprentice
    The Minimatik is my current favourite. The new blue variant is unreal! Wish I could have that bad boy. Here's the Minimatik try on...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ateague View Post
    The Minimatik is my current favourite. The new blue variant is unreal! Wish I could have that bad boy. Here's the Minimatik try on...
    I bought that exact version just before they released the blue one. I love it and I am actually glad I didn't know about the blue dial, choosing between the Metro, the Orion and the Minimatik was hard enough on its own :-)

I'll ask my wife - she has both

Quote Originally Posted by Ey-Up View Post
    Congratulations. I have mine on an Eulit and it is superbly comfortable but not very long.
    To be honest though I would go for the two part version if I ordered again as you can then see the clear case back.
    Personally I am not sure about the strap you suggested but if you like it go for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a link for the one I bought.
    https://www.watchgecko.com/eulit-pal...atch-strap.php
    Thanks for the link. I noticed that your strap has a lot more texture then the ones I found which look very flat.

As for Nomos or Jughans I am facing a similar dilemma as the movement and quality of finish on the Nomos is better but I prefer the design of the Jughans. For me its between the Nomos Metro or a Max Bill, both with that domed crystal and 60s look which I love. The Nomos being a bit more modern compared to Jughans' classic look, now if only I could see the metro gangreserve in the metal.

The Max Bill is a design classic that has significance and appeal beyond the watch fraternity. It also shares the same basic movement as at least one IWC. I have the black dialed chrono with day/date on a mesh and it is the only watch I have ever had that gets regular compliments. I actually wear it more than anything else and have quite a big collection that includes Rolex, AP , Panerai etc.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's also pretty legible for those of the old-git-with-crap-eyesight persuasion.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Junghans for the price. NOMOS is overhyped.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    Junghans for the price. NOMOS is overhyped.
    Did you sell your Nomos pretty quickly, and hang onto your Junghans?

Master
    I have a Junghans mega Solar ( no don't laugh) and it looks like a cheap watch at first glance (which is why I wear it when I go to dodgy areas).

It amazes me though that quite a few people who look at it say "oh that's a cheap digital - but then after a second say something like "oh it's not is it - was it expensive". It just looks so different from the photie in the flesh. I also love the Max Bill chrono - which I haven't got ;-(

Junghans for me too, much more interesting designs. I really like the Max Bill Auto and Chronoscope on the Milanese mesh.

Journeyman
    I would always go for a Nomos, but mainly because I prefer their aesthetics to Junghans.

The only problem with Nomos is that if you're looking for one of their models quickly and its not one that any retailers have in stock, you are looking at a HUGE wait time...

But I guess that's what you get when so much attention to detail is put into each watch.

Journeyman
    Did you sell your Nomos pretty quickly, and hang onto your Junghans?
    Haven't bought a NOMOS :)

Apprentice

Both!

This is a photo of my 35mm. Nomos Tangente. Next week I should be receiving my Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope, with numbers, in black, with milanese band. I plan to buy a black Nomos cordovan for it, to be able to swap with the milanese when I wish.

Both watches are very attractive, each in their own particular style. If I had to decide between one of the two, I'd have to say I prefer the Nomos, but only because of subjectivities. They are both great brands.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/403/31...0c7d04cd_o.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/1/403/31...0c7d04cd_o.jpg

- - - Updated - - -
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fabbroni; 22nd December 2016 at 21:17.

Craftsman
    I was wondering what your views are on the brands. I know neither have a long history but is one more respected than the other.

I'm interested in the NOMOS Tangente and Metro or the Junghans Max Bill.
    Nomos, any day of the week :)

Amazing quality and movements. Truly in-house too.

My Metro:

Craftsman
    The Nomos wears a lot bigger than it looks. Because the face is almost all dial.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    However, the MB is an iconic design whereas Nomos's efforts are just.....nice.

I beg to differ

benwoodroffe
    Having owned an MB chronoscope black and a Nomos Orion and Club Dunkel I'd say that Nomos are a step above in terms of overall quality.

The chronoscope was a bit of a weird thing to wear, fairly noisy and almost like a bumper automatic in that you can constantly hear / feel the rotor swishing about inside the watch - still a cool watch for the money if you like that kind of style though.

Master
    I have owned a Max Bill Auto and Chronoscope and am currently in possession of a Nomos Orion date 38mm. The Nomos is a step up for me in terms of finesse and quality but it comes at a price point. I still like the Max Bill range and would buy another one.

Apprentice
    I just received my Chronoscope in black dial and milanese bracelet. I must say it's a beautiful watch but the difference in quality with my Nomos Tangente is immediately clear. Nomos is way ahead in quality to this watch. I will order a Nomos cordovan or a Di_Modell ostrich strap in the next hour to make a switch every now and then.

I really like the max bill, but I would go for the nomos, I like the brand much better nowadays.