closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster Racing - verdict?

Journeyman

Speedmaster Racing - verdict?

Looking to add a white dialed Chrono to my collection and came across a few good looking speedy references.

What's the verdict on the 'racing' line, is it considered a 'real' speedmaster? Or is it better to go for a more classical reference? Pondering the white or panda dials with rubber strap.

The movement looks impressive. Co-axial escapement, silicon hairspring etc.
    Last edited by aph123; 5th October 2016 at 10:28.

I had one in trade last year, thought it very handsome.

I sold it as it resembled very closely (imho) my Speedsonic; also I am going vintager and vintager as time passes.

As are my watches.

Master
    The movement spec does look good but bear in mind it is 7750 based at heart so not as exotic as you may think. Some of these look the part but are rather smaller than the full size Speedmaster Pro's so aren't for everyone and yes there is an element of people thinking that they aren't quite the real thing, which is reflected in the second hand values which are rather less firm than the full size variants. This does mean that they can be picked up for a more reasonable outlay than the full fat models.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had this from new, they are not that small and the dial is lovely.

That schumacher is lovely

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Had this from new, they are not that small and the dial is lovely.

I'm getting a bit confused with my Speedies . The image you are showing (beautiful) , is this a Schumacher ? It looks similar to those rare Japanese Racing dial Speedie pros. What size is it 39mm ? Is it a modular movement?

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    The movement spec does look good but bear in mind it is 7750 based at heart so not as exotic as you may think. Some of these look the part but are rather smaller than the full size Speedmaster Pro's so aren't for everyone and yes there is an element of people thinking that they aren't quite the real thing, which is reflected in the second hand values which are rather less firm than the full size variants. This does mean that they can be picked up for a more reasonable outlay than the full fat models.
    I think those are DD-ETA module movements but true; not exotic.

JP

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yup its Schumacher based on the speedmaster reduced, its a nice size in real life. It is the modular movement, omega ref 3220 and the watch ref is 3518.5000. Some people look down on the reduced, however other markets like the far east love them, plus that dial is a stunner on the racing variant. Its my oldest watch now that I was lucky enough to find in sydney airport years ago. Best drunken purchase ever I think.

OP, they did some in a white chequered dial too, they are even rarer though. Pretty sure Jocke has one.
    Last edited by Middo; 5th October 2016 at 16:38.

Journeyman
    Thanks for your feedback guys. I decided to go a bit more vintage in my chrono quest.

Currently very intrigued by the Seamaster Chronograph 321.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aph123 View Post
    Thanks for your feedback guys. I decided to go a bit more vintage in my chrono quest.

Currently very intrigued by the Seamaster Chronograph 321.

These are lovely and strangely probably the cheapest route to a 321 movement. All down to fads and trends. At the moment I think they are very good value

Journeyman
    Looks excellent! How vintage is vintage and when did they stop making them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk