closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex service... post service update with Pics

Rolex service... post service update with Pics

So my GMTc is about 8 years old and the quick set it a bit woolly and I think it's time for a service

Will want Rolex Service centre to do it but not in London for a few weeks so can't drop off at St James. Anyone post direct to the service centre ? Do you have to get a box and package from them like TAG do ??

Will they post it back to me ?

Do not want to send via AD's as fed up with them !
    Last edited by dandanthewatchman; 21st October 2016 at 09:54.

Blog Entries
    May be easiest to give them a call in the morning to get those answered? Phone number is via the rolex official webpage.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Do not want to send via AD's as fed up with them !
    Wise man.

Master
    If you're near any of my bases I'll happily send it to West Malling for you under my cover, at exactly my cost including sending + whatever you fancy into the fundraiser.

H

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    If you're near any of my bases I'll happily send it to West Malling for you under my cover, at exactly my cost including sending + whatever you fancy into the fundraiser.

H
    Thanks Haywood - although I studied in Liverpool and Chester decades ago I don't get over there these days. But great offer .... And the chance to pop in and see some of your collection may just motivate me down the M62 !! Would also have to visit Lark Lane for old times sakes ...

Master
    Thanks Haywood - although I studied in Liverpool and Chester decades ago I don't get over there these days. But great offer .... And the chance to pop in and see some of your collection may just motivate me down the M62 !! Would also have to visit Lark Lane for old times sakes ...
    Ha! Was there with my boys on Sunday while Mrs. M. was rocking to Olly Murs. Cracking Chinese called "Chy"....plenty of other restaurants there and I'm sure the bohemian feel will be familiar to you.

Master
    Oh, and no, you don't need any special packaging.

FWIW, the Special Delivery 1pm service is the one everyone should use. This is the service RM have statutorily to provide and it offers greater protection than another versions of SD. The 1pm is statistically so good that in recent years jewellers' insurers have provided full cover even where the jeweller ticks the cheapest and lowest (?£500) level of cover. Losses aren't unknown, but very, very rare indeed.

H

so the watch performance has deteriorated all of a sudden and the hour hand now not moving very much !

rang RSC who said slight risk with RMSD because of insurance but they happy to receive it directly, charge will be £430 and they will post back. Was then mulling over taking it to the Post Office with a label saying "Rolex Service Centre" on it !!

by coincidence I was chatting to a fellow TZ-er last night who is going to London today.

Upshot of this (and proves how mad we are):-

1. he has kindly taken the GMT on the train to London with him to drop off at St James's &
    2. I managed to buy SDc off him !!!

Exchange of watches at 7.30am on his doorstep .... great service so far, but no breakfast was offered !

Master
    Well done, happy ending. As for the label on an SD parcel, one would typically abbreviate it to something as simple but opaque as "R. Service Department." Common trick in the jewellery trade, works perfectly well in my experience.

Hope it goes well and there are no add-on costs the assessors discover when your watch arrives. Always nice to get the crisp watch and parcel back from them!

Haywood

Well done, happy ending. As for the label on an SD parcel, one would typically abbreviate it to something as simple but opaque as "R. Service Department." Common trick in the jewellery trade, works perfectly well in my experience.

Hope it goes well and there are no add-on costs the assessors discover when your watch arrives. Always nice to get the crisp watch and parcel back from them!

Haywood
    thanks H - will update this thread when the watch returns with report on speed of turnaround & whether they find any "extras".

Journeyman
    The AD makes money off the postage by posting to the service centre so you can send it yourself for less the skim the AD takes. Yes they will send your watch back to you, not sure what you mean by asking that?

My service is due soon and I'll do the direct to service centre method for sure. Good advice about not writing Rolex on the package, my concern is the guy in the post office....."what watch?"

Think I'll go to another branch of post office where the old ladies work, I trust them more. It's declaring what's in the package that concerns me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    As for the label on an SD parcel, one would typically abbreviate it to something as simple but opaque as "R. Service Department." Common trick in the jewellery trade, works perfectly well in my experience.
    (Quite so. Parcels from Breitling for example come as from 'BUK' plus a PO box number and postcode.)

Master
    Just tell them it's a pressure gauge. Do they x-ray?

My wife had a strange experience at our local post office when posting an Omega by RMSD. The employee on the counter wanted to know the type of watch (Omega), which model (didn't know, was my husbands...), could he have a look (No, it's packaged up), is it valuable? (£2,000) to the extent that my wife became suspicious of his motives and decided to go to another post office, where "watch" sufficed and "Value £2,000" wasn't queried.

^^^^
    Chris, your wife acting very sensibly.
    I have sent several pieces via RMSD and only since the PO changed their policy have I had to tell them what was inside. And have never had to provide to any detail apart from "Its a watch"

In my experience when sending back a watch direct to their service centre, the address has always been a PO Box number. Which I assumed was for the reason of security.

OP congratulations on your surprising new addition �� as well as the update.

Master
    I just put RSC for Rolex or OSC for Omega prior to the address.

Unless there's sentimental value attached, so long as the insurance covers the full value of the watch is this really a big concern?

An ex-RM employee in another thread explained how everyone in RM who comes into possession of a tracked package has to sign for it, so if it 'goes missing' RM should have an idea at what point it happened. But whether they do or don't, if it goes missing, you get recompensed.

Also, wouldn't a villain working in RM know the addresses to look out for, even if partially disguised?

Then again, maybe I'm being too trusting.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Unless there's sentimental value attached, so long as the insurance covers the full value of the watch is this really a big concern?
    I think the relevant point is that more often than not the insured amount won't cover the cost of the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Just tell them it's a pressure gauge.
    I tell them it's a measuring device.

Grand Master
    I send a fair number of watches with RMSD; my local post office ask what the item is and whether it has batteries in. I had a small problem explaining to one staff member that the watch didn`t contain batteries because it was mechanical. I always state the insured value.

Paul

I had my Sub sent to the RSC via my AD which I think added £20 to the previously quoted standard service charge. That seems a small price to pay for zero hassle or worry about shipping an expensive item.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I had my Sub sent to the RSC via my AD which I think added £20 to the previously quoted standard service charge. That seems a small price to pay for zero hassle or worry about shipping an expensive item.
    The £20 is certainly worth the peace of mind that if anything goes wrong then it's all down to the AD to sort out with the courier.

Post-Service update ….
    My TZ pal dropped the watch off at St James’s ….about a week later I got an email stating watch had been inspected and just the standard fee of £430 (pre-service price increase) would apply. Emailed back to authorise. About 4 weeks later got an email and phone call to say watch is ready, please pay and then next day the watch turned up ….
    All most efficient and the watch looks brand new. Some pics:-

Looks very fresh, did you take any pictures just before sending it, how bad were the PCLs after 8 years ?
    My BLNR has quite a few scratches after only 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Looks very fresh, did you take any pictures just before sending it, how bad were the PCLs after 8 years ?
    My BLNR has quite a few scratches after only 2 years.
    forgot to take some pre-service pics. For much of that 8 years the GMT was my weekday daily wearer (my other watches would tend to be worn less), and I reckon it got worn 60% of the total time - I have a desk job but hands frequently get shoved in filing cabinets etc. It really was in what I consider pretty good condition for the wear it had - testament to the quality of the modern SS Rolex. The PCL's had plenty of scratches and the odd pin prick, but no gouges or deep scratches

Craftsman
    forgot to take some pre-service pics. For much of that 8 years the GMT was my weekday daily wearer (my other watches would tend to be worn less), and I reckon it got worn 60% of the total time - I have a desk job but hands frequently get shoved in filing cabinets etc. It really was in what I consider pretty good condition for the wear it had - testament to the quality of the modern SS Rolex. The PCL's had plenty of scratches and the odd pin prick, but no gouges or deep scratches
    May I ask what they charged for the service?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wild84 View Post
    May I ask what they charged for the service?
    Its in the thread....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Its in the thread....
    ooops, pardon me. must have missed it while looking at the beautiful pictures ;)

mine says hi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdobson45 View Post
    My wife had a strange experience at our local post office when posting an Omega by RMSD. The employee on the counter wanted to know the type of watch (Omega), which model (didn't know, was my husbands...), could he have a look (No, it's packaged up), is it valuable? (£2,000) to the extent that my wife became suspicious of his motives and decided to go to another post office, where "watch" sufficed and "Value £2,000" wasn't queried.
    Yes good point good on your wife mate!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk