closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Electrical advice please. LED lights.

Electrical advice please. LED lights.

I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

For a bit of fun, I've got a couple of these for the kitchen to replace a couple of stand-alone halogens. (I've actually had a couple of 1.5W LEDs in temporarily that have worked intermittently, I believe due to the lack of a proper LED driver.)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2623985805...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've wired the new coloured 3W LEDs into the existing 230V to 12V transformer but they're not working.

Anyone know what the missing piece of the jigsaw is please?

If you have a two wire supply and a two wire LED and it doesn't light, it would suggest one of the devices is faulty, I assume the supply to the transfirmer is correctly wired. As a long shot the LED is a diode so you could swap the wires round, however I would not expect it to make any difference

If I paid £3.27 for a lamp, power supply, remote and carriage I might think it had already exceeded its life expectancy
    Last edited by adrianw; 22nd October 2016 at 11:00.

Thanks for the reply.

The output of the transformer is 12V.
    The input of the bulb is 85V-265V.

Could this be the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

No, that is the supply voltage to the power supply, if you have wired it backwards it is probably toast, by backward I mean the supply to the output

Does the power supply come already wired to the lamp as the picture suggests?

The white box? Yes.

I'm wiring the two output wires into the 230>12V transformer, as the previous halogens were.

Your supplying it with 12volts, take the old transformer away, and don't forget to turn your lighting circuit off at the consumer board

So the supply voltage to the lights should be straight from the mains?

Could you show me what I would need to wire the two LEDs to the mains lead (which is fed from a fused socket, so easy to isolate)?

Looks like I'll need a little terminal block?

Cheers.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the reply.

Output of transformer 12 volts input to led 85v to 265v

I suspect the bulb is capable of running off mains. Does it states ac on the bulb?

Quote Originally Posted by omega steve View Post
    Output of transformer 12 volts input to led 85v to 265v

I suspect the bulb is capable of running off mains. Does it states ac on the bulb?
    If you connect an led directly to mains it will catch fire

I have the mains supply and the lights.

If the 12V transformer isn't suitable, what do I need?

I have the mains supply and the lights.

If the 12V transformer isn't suitable, what do I need?
    The little white box is the power supply, this is all you need, I don't mean to be rude, but do you really think that you should be doing this?

What could possibly go wrong?

Like I said, two lights and one mains supply. Do you know how I can connect the two lights to the supply?

Like I said, two lights and one mains supply. Do you know how I can connect the two lights to the supply?

You could hurt yourself!

Yes, there's probably one on the other side of the old transformer,

Yes, you'll need a terminal block to connect the existing mains (minus the 12V transformer) to the white box - which looks, from the ebay page, like it connects direct across the mains. Don't forget to turn off the breaker to those lights when you do it.

Could you link to something that would be suitable from screwfix or similar please?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    If you connect an led directly to mains it will catch fire

I have mains powered led lights ! They have internal rectifiers

Master

You simply remove the existing 12v transformer and the wire in the new. Does the existing transformer not already have a terminal block.

I'm with the poster above, it can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, make sure to turn of the power at the main fuse box and test with a tester just to be double sure if you decide to venture into the unknown.

Journeyman
    I don't want to be a killjoy, but the latest stats i could find are from 2010 which state 22 fatal electrocutions from home & leisure - i.e low voltage - 240v, in the UK

Please be careful - it will be like a smack to your back from a high speed train that will instantly put you on your back - with your life in the balance.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    You simply remove the existing 12v transformer and the wire in the new. Does the existing transformer not already have a terminal block.

I'm with the poster above, it can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, make sure to turn of the power at the main fuse box and test with a tester just to be double sure if you decide to venture into the unknown.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ******DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THIS****

before any electrical work, safe isolation must be completed, ie: switch of the power to the lighting then test that it is off using a voltage tester.

ok, firstly i am an electrician and do this kind of stuff daily,

the way I see and read things here is as follows, this is a mains powered unit, that little box will be the wireless controller for the remote.

what I suspect is happening is that you have not pulled out enough of the old wiring, what you have hanging out is the old LED driver module running at 9-24v, pull more out until you see mains cable attached to a connection block, more than likely there will be two separate grey cables joined on the block.

this is the 'mains' cable that is running at 230v nominal, you want to connect the wires on your new LED unit red (live) to brown (live) and black to either blue or black (neutral)

step back, and turn the light switch to off, go to the fusebox and return power to the lighting, go to the switch and switch it on, if all is good, then use your remote.

working then success,

not working? what do you expect from a part priced at £3.27 from China?

personally I would never fit these parts, or have them in my house, there is a reason Philips Hue are £50 a bulb and £50 a controller, and the reason is that they have to pass strict EU guidelines, and manufacturing process.

good luck

Safety-wise, the best thing anyone could do for me is to recommend a terminal block, given that I have intention of dissecting my transformer.

This?

One mains in, two lights out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wago-222-E...-/381715214518

Craftsman
    There are quite a few discussions about the lack of testing certifications on many low cost lighting fixtures, and the impact of these on safety and insurance requirements.

I know that in the US, you can be denied an electrical inspection for installing devices that have not been approved by a "nationally recognized testing lab". I do not know the ramifications of doing so in the UK however.

http://www.productapprovals.co.uk/LE...%20article.pdf

http://www.ies.org/lda/HotTopics/LRE/7.cfm

WAGO connectors are very safe, but all connections of this type should still be performed in a box.

Safety-wise, the best thing anyone could do for me is to recommend a terminal block, given that I have intention of dissecting my transformer.

This?

You shouldn't have to dissect anything, the current transformer must be connected to the mains, you just need to trace that back, then hopefully the same connector could be used to connect the new.

Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    There are quite a few discussions about the lack of testing certifications on many low cost lighting fixtures, and the impact of these on safety and insurance requirements.

I know that in the US, you can be denied an electrical inspection for installing devices that have not been approved by a "nationally recognized testing lab". I do not know the ramifications of doing so in the UK however.

http://www.productapprovals.co.uk/LE...%20article.pdf

http://www.ies.org/lda/HotTopics/LRE/7.cfm

WAGO connectors are very safe, but all connections of this type should still be performed in a box.
    We have all of the site approvals to manufacture this stuff UL, VDE, ISO, BSI but commercially it's not worth it when some anonymous bloke in China can self cert CE, no one enforces the regulations, goes through a formal testing and approval process or does any thing when the product burns someone's house down, it's another example of the U.K. Doing it properly and no regulation in China

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    We have all of the site approvals to manufacture this stuff UL, VDE, ISO, BSI but commercially it's not worth it when some anonymous bloke in China can self cert CE, no one enforces the regulations, goes through a formal testing and approval process or does any thing when the product burns someone's house down, it's another example of the U.K. Doing it properly and no regulation in China
    In my house I'd never ever consider cheap Chinese knockoffs and yes I know that most of the stuff I buy here will probably have been manufactured in China but it's the peace of mind of the cert and testing that I'm hopefully getting and buying. These lights do get extremely hot so for me there's no way I'd take the risk.

Master

This?

I'd say this is more the thing, "What could go wrong?"

Now installed and twinkling away in their remote-controlled cut-price Chinese magnificence.

Thanks for everyone's understandably reluctant help.