closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Claiming off Travel Insurance

Craftsman

Claiming off Travel Insurance

Has anyone claimed for a damaged watch on travel insurance?

My old Tag 1000 has managed to get water inside, I don't think I screwed the crown in properly :( then fell in the Mekong River... oops. Poor thing it was one of my fave watches :(

Will it be covered? Also how will they value it? I bought it on eBay about 8 years ago and frankly have NO idea what it cost lol

Banned
    There is no that way anyone apart from your insurance company can answer that question. For best results ascertain the value of the watch and provide any relevant documentation. It would be very helpful if you have a document that shows how much you payed for it.

Craftsman
    Search completed listings on eBay for a rough idea of current value

Hopefully you'll be as honest with your insurers as you are with us, in which case they'll probably say that you failed to take reasonable care of the watch, however if your policy is ''all risks new for old'' then you need to ascertain its value, and how much it will cost to repair, of course this may also affect your premiums for next year.

Stick it in a bag of rice now! It needs drying out and it needs a service as soon as possible. It's happened to me a few times due to faulty crowns or rotten gaskets.

It'll be fine for a £100 or so.

Claiming off Travel Insurance

Unless. You took out extra insurance would the watch as a high value item even be covered? My son lost his expensive Apple headphones a few years ago when we went to Thailand and Colombus Insurance told us no claim as we hadn't taken out the extra cover required for high value items.

Banned
    just tell the story as it is however improbable and you will at least get an answer, don't think this sounds ridiculous and make it simpler.

though the watch may not be worth the excess

direct line are very good I declare everything and they tell me if its covered, I Only have 2 items that have to be named specifically.

I had to make a claim this year it went from them not going to cover it [delayed train, missed ferry] to helping me.
    then on my return sending me an extra £75 as they say they didn't get it correct first time, you cant say fairer than that.

the circumstance leading to me damaging my Shoei in Montpellier last year was like a farce it involved Gendarmes, building fires, road blocks a girl driving using the mobile phone, people driving the wrong way down one way streets etc.

I just told it as it was they didn't bat an eyelid and paid up, but at the time I thought this just doesn't sound believable.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Hopefully you'll be as honest with your insurers as you are with us, in which case they'll probably say that you failed to take reasonable care of the watch, however if your policy is ''all risks new for old'' then you need to ascertain its value, and how much it will cost to repair, of course this may also affect your premiums for next year.
    Haha yeah I work in insurance so have no intention of fabricating stuff! To be honest it's just a bundled policy with my bank, will have to see what happens.

Also on inspection I have not forgot to screw in the crown, the tube appears to have pushed into the case so I have screwed the crown to nothing and not realised! Pleased about that, as I felt like a right fool before lol

Will let you guys know when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Stick it in a bag of rice now! It needs drying out and it needs a service as soon as possible. It's happened to me a few times due to faulty crowns or rotten gaskets.

It'll be fine for a £100 or so.
    I'd get the back off and leave it in the sun.

Grand Master
    Watch has developed a fault that compromises water resistance, owner finds out the hard way. It's a mistake to assume an ageing watch will still be water resistant.

I fail to see why the insurance company should be obliged to pay out. Frankly I`d be embarrassed to even suggest it's the right way forward.

Sounds like a straightforward case of an old watch with a screwdown crown that's got worn threads on the crown, pendant tube or both. Not nice to repair, getting the old pendant tube out can be a real pain unless it's screw-fitted (TAGs aren`t).

TAG parts are expensive and I doubt whether the watch is worth fixing. It'll need a new crown, tube, probably a new movement and possibly the dial and handset replacing......enough said.

Paul

Craftsman
    Completely depends on the insurance (and the insurers).

I've got a Direct Line Plus hone insurance policy (I think that's what they call it) and it includes a large single undeclared item limit for losses inside the house (doesn't have to be declared), and a sizeable amount for anything outside of the house. Nothing I have got is in excess of the limits, so I don't have to declare anything.

Upon claiming I do have to dig out the bank / CC statements to show how much I paid for stuff (or have photos) to prove I had it.

If you've paid for the insurance, and the insurance covers this item and risk, of course you should be able to claim for it. It'd be ludicrous to have taken out the insurance and then take some perceived "moral high ground" and not claim!

Grand Master
    The watch leaked because it has a fault........nothing to do with accidental damage or mishap so why should the insurance company entertain the claim?

Let's suppose they consider it. When they inspect the watch it'll be obvious where the problem lies and I'd be amazed if they stand the claim. If the watch had been in good condition it would've stood up to immersion, but it wasn't and it didn't.

I've no great love for the insurance companies but I understand their dilemma. If they paid out on stuff like this we'd all end up paying a whole lot more.

God loves a trier, by all means try making a claim.......I doubt it'll succeed.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 31st October 2016 at 14:36.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I fail to see why the insurance company should be obliged to pay out.
    Paul
    Not sure why - even if the watch was not waterproof due to defect, if he accidentally fell in water that damaged the watch, he has a claim. Just the amount of the claim is to return to previous state or replacement value (given defect), unless new for old cover.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The watch leaked because it has a fault........nothing to do with accidental damage or mishap so why should the insurance company entertain the claim?
    Quote Originally Posted by OP
    I don't think I screwed the crown in properly...
    Our insurance covered the repair of SWMBO's watch when she'd failed to screw the crown in.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Thought i would report back!

This has taken some time, mainly because I was still in Asia for a week and a bit after posting, then had to take the watch into an AD who obviously would not quote to repair, it had to go back to TAG in Switzerland as its a vintage piece! Got a quote back at the beginning of December then had to send to insurance etc.

Anyway quote to repair was £422 insurance has paid me £372, repair cost - excess.

To be honest I thought they might tell me to do one, due to the age of the watch, no receipt or proof of purchase etc, but they paid with very little quibble, it was genuine accident damage and I did not try it on, they asked for proof I owned it so sent some photos of me wearing it in 2009 & 2010

For info it was Barclays Travel+ i think (the more expensive of the 2 travel related current account upgrades they offer) really good service and they handled their end really quickly and without any attempts to avoid the claim.

Only thing is i don't think i will get it repaired, tbh the case is really starting to show its age and the bracelet is beyond stretched, so might just put the cash towards another 1000 thats in better shape, so if anyone has a one for sale... (if that breaks any sales corner type rules please let me know and i will remove)