closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice wanted !

Journeyman

Advice wanted !

Hello
    I am looking to buy my dad a watch,the last one he had was about 10years ago! not sure the make, it had a black plain dial with silver hands and silver hour markers and was a manual wind (similar to an old omega)with an expandable bracelet.

He used the watch everyday and being in the building trade it took some stick! then he lost it and has never bothered with a watch since. He wouldnt like anything to flash or bulky,a mans come builders type watch that he could just throw on for the pub as well !!

Your probable as confused as me now!!

Could do with some ideas guys ?

Regards.....gary

Apprentice
    I'm the furthest from an expert, but a Yachtmaster might be excessive :wink: How would the PR-18Q, sold through this website, do? It appears sturdy, reliable and very fairly priced.

I envy you still having a father to buy a watch for. Good luck.

Journeyman
    Thanks mate I will check it out

Best Regards........

gary

Master
    I bought my dad a watch for Christmas - he's got a quartz Seamaster but is getting on a bit and couldn't read it too well without his glasses.

He didn't really want a mechanical watch, or a very expensive one, so I went for a Mondaine Swiss Railway watch, which went down pretty well. Very easy to read, plus he wanted a date and second hand.

Have you got any specific requirements? Or a rough budget?

I got mine a little something for his birthday Tue. A Luminox Navy Seals diver. Suppose to glow like a "nuclear reactor meltdown" as someone once said. Gotta love them Tritium tubes. You should check them out, Gary. jd, which Mondaine did you get? Are they really just 3bar wr? Another family occassion coming up and looking for ideas too.

Master
    I got the Night Vision date version, and yes, it's just 3 bar WR. Not really bothered about that, he's not one for swimming...

It's not what I would have picked, but I showed him various options and that's what he liked. Seems fairly good quality, although the date change is a bit odd.

Journeyman

Watch advice

I have just seen a VINTAGE OMEGA SEAMASTER AUTOMATIC on ebay but I think he would prefer a manual wind, I will have a lookb at the Mondaine Swiss Railway watch, never seen one of those before..not looking for anything really expensive as it will probably get thrown around a bit.

Thanks mate

Journeyman
    Yeah I checked them luminox out a while ago because of my eyesight but ended up with a doxa,it wouldnt match the luminox for lume tho!

I Think he would like the older watches like the vintage omega similar to what he had.

Cheers mate

gary

Re: Watch advice

Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    I have just seen a VINTAGE OMEGA SEAMASTER AUTOMATIC on ebay but I think he would prefer a manual wind
    Perhaps something with a 6497/8 movement? Eddie's PRS-20 is a wonderful watch, although I'd never wear mine as a beater - way too nice for that. Glycine and Zeno are two other brands that come to mind that have a large number of reasonably priced manual wind watches, although there are certainly many other manufacturers that use those movements.

Journeyman

Re: Watch advice

The Zeno Classic looks the part ,that would of been pretty close to what he had but its discontinued,just my luck!

gary

Ewan should have something you would like on his site. the Sandoz is very impressive.

Of Eddie's watches i think the PRS -53would be a great choice

Gary,

it may be a bit offbeat, but on Ewan's old website there's a Citizen Oxy like this

It's about 40mm, so quite visible, automatic, comes on a bracelet if that helps, and has the advantage over Seikos of being a bit bigger and sturdier than the standard 5s, and compared to the 5 superiors it's a bit more conservatively styled, and also can be handwound. Also the crown is non-screwdown, which in my experience is a plus when selecting watches for people of a certain generation who don't want to think too much about their watch.

Or you could go with the SB3?

If it's quartz and smaller that you're looking for, there's a very nice military style Seiko on Ewan's website.

Edit - I see a handwinder is called for. Sorry for not reading properly. PRS53 is a good bet, I reckon, on one of Eddie's leather aviators if your old man hates Natos.

Kamraj

PRS-53 is a very good watch. But if he's going to wear it on the job, you should also give him a box of Polywatch. Its crystal is acrylic and it's easily scratched or even broken. I quite like Glycine's Incursore and I think they would fit the ticket nicely.

Journeyman

Re: Advice wanted !

Thanks guys will check all watches

warm regards........gary

Craftsman
    Agree with jd about Mondaine. It looks like the clocks at swiss railway stations.

Tissot Le Locle?

Auto, dressy and quite affordable. They do a black dial version too.

Or a black-faced Seiko 5 if you want to keep the budget down. You just missed one the sales corner but they come up quite regualrly:

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41149

Master
    Blog Entries
    G-Shock for kicking abour in. Rolex Sea-Dweller for the rest of the time