closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-20 Lug Question

Journeyman

PRS-20 Lug Question

I am seriously considering the purchase of a non-LE PRS-20 "Italian." However, I am concerned that the removable lugs will be fragile and start to loosen-up after a couple of strap changes. Can anyone advise me as to how robust is this arrangement? If the consensus is that this is a potential problem area, I'll have to consider similar Panerai homages that use solid lugs (which I prefer not to do, since I like Eddie's products). Thanks, in advance, for your help.

A quick search of the forum will turn up a number of posts about how 22mm Panerai-style tubes might make the lug arrangement more satisfactory for you.

Yes, use tubes. While I don't wear mine all that frequently, I checked the screws recently and they are tight. No loosening. Before the tubes the lugs would turn down and the strap area between the lugs would bend or distort a bit. It doesn't do that anymore. They stay straight.

Grayman: The system is kind of complex--to me at least. I have no idea how sturdy it all is--others that know about watchmaking/Eddie himself could probably speak on this. However, I might do this myself, you might be able to just take out the strap and put in a Panny tube and use bands that are made for fixed lugs and not remove the screws anymore. Maybe that wouldn't work because the tubes are too thick?

Journeyman
    Thanks, gents -

I think that both suggestions: Tubes and the use of open-end straps--are great ideas. The feedback is reassuring. Eddie's PRS-20 stands out for me because it has greater water resistance than most similar homages, has a scratch-resistant crystal, and is slightly smaller and thinner than the others.

Thanks for the help in moving me toward a decision.

The tubes help, I recently got a set and it improves the sturdiness of the whole arrangement. I'd cheerfully worn it without the tubes and had no problems, but I have greater peace of mind with them in. Mind you, the task of strap changing is fiddly enough that it's a watch to pick your strap and then leave it!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

My PRS-20 LE has gotten a lot of wrist time since I got it, and I've had no problems with it. I do change the straps infrequently as it is a bit of a PITA to do so, but they've held just fine. So far I haven't used any tubes.

However, it would seem to be a bit more secure with the tubes. The ones for the Panerai straps do fit on the wire lugs and I will be using them with some straps that I'm making. There's enough room to have tubes with leather around 1 mm thick around the tube.

Hi

I have a thick strap, no tubes and no problems at all.

I do check the lug screws as preventative maintenance, but you should do that anyway...

Thanks
    deano

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    The tubes help, I recently got a set and it improves the sturdiness of the whole arrangement. I'd cheerfully worn it without the tubes and had no problems, but I have greater peace of mind with them in. Mind you, the task of strap changing is fiddly enough that it's a watch to pick your strap and then leave it!
    Ditto all that. My lugs have been fine from day one, and the watch never needed tubes. But once I settled on the one strap I was most happy with, I fitted them and have since left well alone.