closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Imminent arrival of a grail NOW WITH PICS

Imminent arrival of a grail NOW WITH PICS

I've done this before, maybe. I posted this about six years ago, but here I am...

Before that, in October 2008 I posted a WTB for a Panerai PAM4 - the PVD'd Luminor Marina.

When I first got interested in watches, back in about 2001, I fancied a Speedmaster. I went to and AD and they talked me through the Moonwatch, and the Reduced. Why would I want to spend double on a watch and wind it myself? I bought the Reduced.

Happily wore that for a year, then in the summer of 2002, I think it was (maybe 2003?) I bought my first Panerai. The PVD models were out of production - they were only produced for A and B series. I bought a C-series titanium 116, and loved it. Wore if for about 5 years.

But I'd always wanted a PVD Panerai. In about 2005, I got to the point of being on the telephone to a New York dealer who had one, but the combination of me being a Brit, the watch being in the USA and me being in Qatar queered the whole thing.

So, 2008 WTB, and I've been bumping it on and off for years.

Then last month, one popped up at a London dealer. No B&P, but lovely condition. Not cheap, but then it was never going to be. And here I am with a little bit of disposable... So I bought it.

On Friday, it arrives in Qatar with my visiting in-laws. Inshallah.

So, this has been a long search, and a long wait. And the term 'grail' is overused. But....

I can't help thinking that this will be the last watch I buy. We'll see - I was wrong before. This place feels like Hotel California, of course, but we'll see.

Pics to follow, of course - I'm starting this thread because I'm nervous, and excited, and, well. We've all been there.

Pics to follow.
    Last edited by Qatar-wol; 11th November 2016 at 14:55.

Master
    Lol, last watch, yeah right! Looking forward to the pics, I'm a massive panerai fan.

Fantastic news! I've seen you bumping this up a fair few times over the years and I genuinely thought you had missed the boat with the way Panerai prices have soared. But prices have also softened a little bit and I reckon we'll see a few more interesting Panerais coming up over the coming months/years.

I look forward to the pics. It really is one of the original PVDs. What year is it from?

Craftsman
    Congratulations, look forward to seeing the pictures.

As my user name suggests I've got a Ceramic Pam so I'm a big fan also.

Master
    Great news, will be well worth the wait. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Craftsman
    Excellent, don't forget the pictures!

We'll done Walter, it will be satisfying to update that WTB!

Congratulations, I'm a big fan of the early PVD Panerai's so looking forward to the pictures

Thanks for the comments - I'll update with pictures when I can tomorrow or the day after. I made this thread to lance the boil of excitement, but it's not really worked!

Visitors arrived this morning, and I was very good, very restrained. I waited a full 30 minutes before opening their cases and retrieving my watch. And here it is. More soon, but first impressions are
    - heavier than I was expecting. I'm used to titanium Panerai, and this one is steel. Steel case back, too.
    - far better condition than it has any right to be, for a 17-year-old watch.
    - happy with the dealer. Will update about that soon, too.

But a few early pictures.

Classic watch, lovely and agree it looks in good nick.

Congratulations Walter

I've still got your 116
    Enjoy the 4
    Regards
    Tim

A grail watch is not only determined by its objective quality, it is also determined by the journey you make to obtain it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not usually a fan of PVD but that looks lovely, more grey than black. Hope you enjoy it, that was a heck of a long wait!

Master
    I like that a lot, is it just the picture or is it more of a gunmetal finish? I always thought PVD was only jet black.

Sorry just seen the post below asking the same question.

A few years ago I was offered a Pam that was pvd,now I can't remember what model it was or wether it was a new one that had been done,but I do remember not liking it,but I like that ,surprising how tastes change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    A few years ago I was offered a Pam that was pvd,now I can't remember what model it was or wether it was a new one that had been done,but I do remember not liking it,but I like that ,surprising how tastes change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Was it the destro 26? The 004 is a more grey than the 26 which i find is quite black. Condition really is excellent, most of the older panerais were purchased and used, not kept as a collectors item so you'd expect more chips etc. Well done!

Master
    Very very nice, congrats mate.

Looks super

Congratulations

Banned
    Superlative, quintessential, many thanks for sharing the nice pictures and your story. This is what it is all about. Enjoy.

Lovely watch, the long wait was worth it. These came with Tritium dials as well, correct?

Congratulations. Looks very robust.

Craftsman
    A really great looking watch, that PVD finish looks a perfect colour. Congratulations on a fabulous find.