Page 37 of 83 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,850 of 4141

Thread: Whiskey

Journeyman
    Emperador Deluxe check it out...
    http://www.emperadorbrandy.com/emperador-deluxe.html
    Ok so it says brandy but don't be fooled...😊

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    For those in the want and those who already do ,

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/...productReviews

getting very difficult to find at this price , I've got one left from 2, I bought last year ,be quick .

Grand Master
    Monkey Shoulder down to £23 in waitrose, with free cocktail jug. Also Glenlivet !5yo French Oak down to £30 but my local had no stock left!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Monkey Shoulder down to £23 in waitrose, with free cocktail jug. Also Glenlivet !5yo French Oak down to £30 but my local had no stock left!
    I bought the monkey shoulder before and personally it was the only bottle I was glad to see the bottom of, id never buy it again.

Glenlivet 15yo french oak is lovely however and we'll worth picking up, especially at that money

Free glass at the Co-Op.....................

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    I bought the monkey shoulder before and personally it was the only bottle I was glad to see the bottom of, id never buy it again.

Glenlivet 15yo french oak is lovely however and we'll worth picking up, especially at that money
    I've always found Monkey Shoulder a nice mellow drop, nothing spectacular but smooth and soothing....
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I've always found Monkey Shoulder a nice mellow drop, nothing spectacular but smooth and soothing....
    it is amazing that everyone has a different palette for whisky, luckily for all of us there's plenty of choices!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    few offers at Waitrose at the moment, Jura among them at the usual £25 offer price, might get two and put them away for xmas, before the offers disappear

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    few offers at Waitrose at the moment, Jura among them at the usual £25 offer price, might get two and put them away for xmas, before the offers disappear
    It's a long way till Crimbo, they will be well flattened by then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Yamazaki Distillers Reserve back in stock at My local Waitrose. £45.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post

I just can't abide Jura. It's like the Jim Beam of single malts. Has a horrible tang to it that I can't not taste.

Nice selection on Waitrose Cellar that you can click and collect.

Master
    I agree with henpecked Jura is horrid just bought a bottle of glenfiddich 15 from waitrose for £32 will leave that for xmas

Master
    Just been to my cupboard and selected a fine 12yr Ballantine.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Just been to my cupboard and selected a fine 12yr Ballantine.
    I bought a bottle of their blended whisky on Saturday from Sainsbury's. £15 down from £20.
    I've never tasted this brand before, must say it's a really drink, very smooth tasted and quite mellow, the bottle is quite a nice shape also!

Just had this delivered by Amazon. I plan to get stuck into it tomorrow after a long week!

It's got good reviews so looking forward to cracking it open 👍

Heads up Jackie D.

Morrison's from the 21st November a 3 liter bottle and a free pouring cradle. Handy if you are at sea! only £50.00 get some................................

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    Morrison's from the 21st November a 3 liter bottle and a free pouring cradle. Handy if you are at sea! only £50.00 get some................................

You just need 20 litres of coke to take the taste away and you're good
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    You just need 20 litres of coke to take the taste away and you're good
    Coke? ah yes nearly forgot old man. Must get something for the ladies...................................

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    Coke? ah yes nearly forgot old man. Must get something for the ladies...................................
    I know it is but I cant call JD a whiskey it tastes shit neat
    RIAC

I know it is but I cant call JD a whiskey it tastes shit neat
    I have always found when travelling in the USA that it tastes better if left for 10 minutes before drinking, assuming you've stopped the bar person shovelling ice into the glass before they pour the JD. Once polluted with ice it makes no difference.

Grand Master
    This is tasting very good for lunch.

RIAC

Master

Lunch? :-0

Know what you mean about the JD, I've yet to find an American Whiskey I like!

Is that 59.6%?

You bloody animal!

Grand Master
    Only 200 bottles. So good

RIAC

Anyone trying the 28 year old Speyside from Aldi? 40 quid for 28 year old sherried single malt seems to be a bargain (hope so, I've bought one for my dad ;) ). Branded as Glen Marnoch, but most reviews seem to suggest it is really a Glenfarclas or a Mortlach, which would make it incredible value.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychomech View Post
    Anyone trying the 28 year old Speyside from Aldi? 40 quid for 28 year old sherried single malt seems to be a bargain (hope so, I've bought one for my dad ;) ). Branded as Glen Marnoch, but most reviews seem to suggest it is really a Glenfarclas or a Mortlach, which would make it incredible value.
    No but thanks for the heads up!

Grand Master
    Little restock for winter

RIAC

Master

The Dalmore and Highland Park are two of my favorite Drams, a bit to early for me to stock up for Crimbo yet as they would only get flattened by then!

Craftsman

Every single one of those is great! Dalmore and Glenfarclas are top

I have an Aberlour A'Bunadh cask strength batch 50 just waiting for the festive season.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    I have an Aberlour A'Bunadh cask strength batch 50 just waiting for the festive season.
    Tried batch 55 last night - even better IMO! Excellent releases these cask strengths from Aberlour.

My winter stock up

Did all you whisky lovers see the 3 part series "Scotch! The story of whisky" by David Harman on BBC2? It was a fantastic show that always compelled me to be sipping a nice Scotch while viewing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07zk5cx

Bought my first bottle of whiskey this year, as it is near Christmas and I have a cold, picked up a bottle of bushmills blackbush. Love the stuff just not the headache in the mornings.

Master
    Blog Entries

https://thewhiskyphiles.com/2016/11/...old-43-3-aldi/

Seems very positive, if it's that good my dads can wait until Christmas for his bottle :)

This turned up in the afternoon and its very pleasant, light but you can taste the Oak. Its triple distilled. Cant remember that in a Scotch. Irish like Powers yes but not in a Scotch.

Craftsman
    I work for Diageo, owners of Mortlach distillery and I'm certain that this whisky won't be Mortlach. We could sell Mortlach that old for a good few hundred pounds per bottle, there'd be absolutely no point to bulk selling it cheap. It'd be like Rolex making watches to be sold as Timex. Can't imagine Glenfarclas would do that deal either, their single malt has a great reputation and would sell very well at 28 year old. It's going to be from a lesser known distillery.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    I work for Diageo, owners of Mortlach distillery and I'm certain that this whisky won't be Mortlach. We could sell Mortlach that old for a good few hundred pounds per bottle, there'd be absolutely no point to bulk selling it cheap. It'd be like Rolex making watches to be sold as Timex. Can't imagine Glenfarclas would do that deal either, their single malt has a great reputation and would sell very well at 28 year old. It's going to be from a lesser known distillery.
    Diageo eh? oooh any whisky bargains or top tips for us tz-uk whisky fiends?
    i suspect the rumours might come because Mortlach has an expression called Rare Old which is exactly the same abv (43.4%) and only slightly more expensive - £54 for 50cl here
    https://thewhiskyphiles.com/2015/07/...lach-rare-old/
    Last edited by ktmog6uk; 21st November 2016 at 21:17.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    Diageo eh? oooh any whisky bargains or top tips for us tz-uk whisky fiends?
    i suspect the rumours might come because Mortlach has an expression called Rare Old which is exactly the same abv (43.4%) and only slightly more expensive - £54 for 50cl here
    https://thewhiskyphiles.com/2015/07/...lach-rare-old/
    Rare and Old must be the two most abused terms in whisky marketing. Rare Old Mortlach is the youngest and cheapest variant that Diageo now sells. I've never tasted it, I'm currently drinking a Gordon & Macphails bottling of Mortlach 21 year old. Lovely dram, but not as good as the Mortlach 16yo "Flora and Fauna" series bottling. If you see one of them buy it.

Odd strengths are quite popular with some marketing folk now too. 43.4% just means that slightly less water was added to the whisky before it was bottled. Makes the liquid in the bottle more expensive (less bottles per barrel and more duty to pay) so if you can find a good price on a higher strength bottling then go for it.

Other tips - at the moment I'm drinking Lagavulin 8 YO. It's much younger than the regular 16yo bottling, higher strength (marketing again) and very pale. I thought it'd be overwhelmingly phenolic but it's surprisingly drinkable and really quite refreshing. Another whisky that has surprised me is the new Haig Clubman. It's a single grain whisky from Cameronbridge distillery in Fife. It's marketed as a whisky for cocktails and it's quite like an american bourbon in style. Very easy to drink and now my wife's favourite whisky. Don't buy the Haig Club - it tastes the same as the Clubman to me and is twice the price!

Grand Master
    interesting re the Mortlach. I've had that 16yo bottling many moons ago and it was superb. The Lagavulin 8 intrigues me, i'm into my Islay whiskies but i've found some of the lighter peated expressions have something different - Bowmore Tempest and Ardbeg Blasda spring to mind. Laphroaig cask strength is still pretty much my favourite but it seems to have vanished out of all the shops in my area!

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Rare and Old must be the two most abused terms in whisky marketing. Rare Old Mortlach is the youngest and cheapest variant that Diageo now sells. I've never tasted it, I'm currently drinking a Gordon & Macphails bottling of Mortlach 21 year old. Lovely dram, but not as good as the Mortlach 16yo "Flora and Fauna" series bottling. If you see one of them buy it.

Odd strengths are quite popular with some marketing folk now too. 43.4% just means that slightly less water was added to the whisky before it was bottled. Makes the liquid in the bottle more expensive (less bottles per barrel and more duty to pay) so if you can find a good price on a higher strength bottling then go for it.

Other tips - at the moment I'm drinking Lagavulin 8 YO. It's much younger than the regular 16yo bottling, higher strength (marketing again) and very pale. I thought it'd be overwhelmingly phenolic but it's surprisingly drinkable and really quite refreshing. Another whisky that has surprised me is the new Haig Clubman. It's a single grain whisky from Cameronbridge distillery in Fife. It's marketed as a whisky for cocktails and it's quite like an american bourbon in style. Very easy to drink and now my wife's favourite whisky. Don't buy the Haig Club - it tastes the same as the Clubman to me and is twice the price!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I've bought one of these on the strength of a few on-line reviews. I'll be trying it later on.

I tend to agree that it's More likely to be from the Glenfarclas stable. Grants would seem to provide a connection.

A taste later should confirm it.

As to any distillery not selling in bulk - I think there are always deals to be done.
    This 28 year old expression might not meet the very exacting standards that for example Glenfarclas would set for their own brand stuff but they might be happy enough to sell it to a bottler or a supermarket.
    I'd be truly interested to know of a small truly independent distillery on Speyside that could actually afford to flog a 28 year old expression off cheaply.
    Last edited by aldfort; 22nd November 2016 at 16:57.

Macallan Rare Cask Black Label went on sale today - I managed to bag a couple for the collection.....I don't drink any of it!

Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    Macallan Rare Cask Black Label went on sale today - I managed to bag a couple for the collection.....I don't drink any of it!
    I had the e-mail as well but I have fallen out of love with most of the modern expressions of this once much loved favourite. I have two thirds of a bottle of 18 y.o. original (from before the multiplicity of expressions). Which is still a dram to savour.

As promised a taste of the Aldi offering.

Great colour, interesting nose, sherry cask with a hint of peat and old wood.
    The taste is fruit cake and background of wood and citrus.
    The finish is long and decidedly Smokey.
    Open it up with a drop of water to kill the burn of the alcohol on this slightly stronger bottling.
    As to source, can't actually decide but an interesting drop none the less.

Craftsman

Open it up with a drop of water to kill the burn of the alcohol on this slightly stronger bottling.
    I picked up a bottle of the Glen Marnoch today. The first Aldi store had sold out, luckily for me the second store I visited had 4 bottles, I came out with just the one!
    I will more than likely have a taste at the weekend. It has a nice dark colour to it, the wooden box is not too bad!
    Their Islay single malt looks promising, anyone tried it?

Master
    Blog Entries

Thanks bought a cpl one for me one for my old man at £40 its a no brainer

If anyone else is a fan, Amazon are flogging Aberfeldy 12 at the moment for £23.99.

I don't remember ever seeing it cheaper.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aberfeldy-Y...ords=aberfeldy

Just bought a bottle of the Aberfedly 12 for the same price at Tecos this morning. Its a new one to me so looking forward to cracking it later on