closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Comfortable work shoes

Craftsman

Comfortable work shoes

I'm a teacher and I'm my feet 9 hours (yes we don't just finish at 3pm!). I've had knee surgery in the past to trim cartilage and to remove a plica. My knee is playing up again and I don't think my work shoes help. I currently wear loakes derby style with a leather sole, very little cushioning at all. I've been looking online at more comfortable alternatives- clarks, Ecco. Are they any good? They certainly don't look as smart but to be honest I'm looking for comfort at the moment, any recommendations?

Master
    You are looking at shoes but have you considered bio-mechanical issues? I'd suggest seeing a podiatrist as you may have foot/leg issues that need correction

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    You are looking at shoes but have you considered bio-mechanical issues? I'd suggest seeing a podiatrist as you may have foot/leg issues that need correction
    I have seen one in the past (before I had knee surgery)and I did have some inserts made but they were v painful to wear. I start physio again next week and I might see if I can also get a ref. to the podiatrist.

Grand Master
    Having had a few knee surgeries myself and having to do a fair bit of walking i tend to go for clarks shoes, current ones are active air vents, which took a couple of weeks to get used too, but are fantastic for all day wear

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Having had a few knee surgeries myself and having to do a fair bit of walking i tend to go for clarks shoes, current ones are active air vents, which took a couple of weeks to get used too, but are fantastic for all day wear
    I'm going to have a look around town after work tomorrow and will stop by the clarks shop, thanks.
    Last edited by Cinch; 23rd November 2016 at 22:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    I have seen one in the past (before I had knee surgery)and I did have some inserts made but they were v painful to wear. I start physio again next week and I might see if I can also get a ref. to the podiatrist.
    If your inserts hurt beyond the normal bedding-in period maybe they need adjusting or replacing. If they were recommended by a decent medic you probably need them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    If your inserts hurt beyond the normal bedding-in period maybe they need adjusting or replacing. If they were recommended by a decent medic you probably need them.
    It was before they'd actually diagnosed my knee injury and the inserts were solely designed on an assessment of my gait, which Would have been off due to my knee injury. I will ask the opinion of my physio at my appointment next week.

Mainstream comfy brands : Ecco, skechers, geox
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    If I know I'm going to be doing a lot of walking, I wear Dr Martens shoes. Plenty of styles that are smart enough to wear with a suit, and the Airwair soles are great to walk on.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if you'd be able to wear walking shoes at school but I've got a pair of Merrell's and they are brilliant. Definately fine for being on your feet all day.

Master
    Funny as I was thinking about starting a similar thread. Issues with the tendons in my feet, coupled with being stood up most of the day, has lead to me wearing a pair of sketchers trainers all day.
    Now I need to wear something a bit smarter due to a promotion of sorts and I'm scratching my head for suggestions, ideally in a boot of some sort.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny as I was thinking about starting a similar thread. Issues with the tendons in my feet, coupled with being stood up most of the day, has lead to me wearing a pair of sketchers trainers all day.
    Now I need to wear something a bit smarter due to a promotion of sorts and I'm scratching my head for suggestions, ideally in a boot of some sort.

Take a look at Rockport too

Try the Steptronic range from jones bootmakers, they have extra cushioning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Banned
    Blog Entries
    There can be only one,

Master
    Check out Mephisto shoes. Expensive but comfortable.

Clarks active air range are a lot more comfortable than my Loake 1880 brogues or my Alden brogues.

And my ex boss swears that he goes running in his Ecco oxfords, at least for the bus that is..

H
    If you give people nothingness, they can ponder what can be achieved from that nothingness.
    Sent from my iPhone

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I don't know if you'd be able to wear walking shoes at school but I've got a pair of Merrell's and they are brilliant. Definately fine for being on your feet all day.
    I could probably get away with trainers but I'm also responsible for discipline and uniform/ appearance so probably doesn't go down too well if I'm wearing something too casual. I will definitely have a look toda, I'm currently looking at Clarks Chilverwalk.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Check out Mephisto shoes. Expensive but comfortable.
    I was actually going to get a pair of rainbows for weekend wear.

Master
    Look at Anatomicshoes.com. Very soft underfoot and excellent quality and comfort. I have five pairs now and don't buy anything else. Lots of styles. Wait for their online sales.

Master
    Try Hotter.... okay, I agree, the shops are a bit overcrowded with the 'older' customers but that's for good reason i.e. the pensioners like their comfortable shows.

I've been wearing a pair of their brown brogues for work now for a few months and they're a lot more comfortable than my Loakes and look better than some trainers. Also hard wearing and cheap as chips - wait for one of there offers.

I generally wear Clarks for work as for me they strike the best blend of price, comfort and style, my current pair are brogue style and I have had a lot of positive comments from people on the style. I have had Ecco's in the past and they were superbly comfortable, but perhaps a bit fuddy duddy style wise, but I'd definitely consider them if you can find a pair you like. I also manage to get away with a pair of all leather all black Nike Air trainers at work too, these are also as comfy as it gets and just about passable in my office where luckily no-one in my organisation ever seems super smart. Good luck.

Craftsman
    +1 for Steptronic

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Look at Anatomicshoes.com. Very soft underfoot and excellent quality and comfort. I have five pairs now and don't buy anything else. Lots of styles. Wait for their online sales.
    Thanks, i like the look of the Leme black.

Crocs 👍🏻

Hotter, rieker, siebel, think! are also comfy (by that I mean they have good arch support which is what I need). Havn't tried anatomic but have heard good things about them

May I also suggest trying twin strike sorbothane insoles
    Last edited by seikopath; 24th November 2016 at 18:33.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Crocs 
    Kids can be cruel, I don't think I'd hear the end of it.

crocs are comfy but i think extensive use can be damaging as they don't give much support

Can personally recommend Clarks active air, Josef Seibel, Anatomic Gel and Steptronic. Debenhams also seem to stock a comfort brand (wide fit too) called Henley, which have a heavily cushioned in-sole.
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 24th November 2016 at 20:21.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    Kids can be cruel, I don't think I'd hear the end of it.
    Well, that probably rules these out, but I can get away with anything at work when I need to do a lot of standing, so I wear these at the moment:

http://www.birkenstock.com/de/gilfor....html#start=18

They look fairly normal from that angle but from above they have that typical Birkenstock shape. Foot-shaped shoes, whatever next. They have the same insole / footbed as their sandals which I think is good for the feet and knees. I think overly cushioned shoes are not good for long periods of standing, even if they feel very comfortable when first put on.

Fear not, I wear proper shoes in public.