closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommended mixers for gin.

Master
    Orange juice or ginger beer.

They do say, the better the gin, the cheaper the tonic.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I went on the Bombay Sapphire distillery tour recently.You are invited to "nose" the various botanicals and list your favourites. Following this, you present your favourites to the cocktail waiter who mixes you a cocktail that he thinks you will like.

For me, (surprisingly...) it was a large measure of Gin, ginger ale, elderflower cordial and served over ice with a mint leaf.

I'd never have put these things together normally, but I do now! The distillery call this a "Laverstoke"
    slurp.
    Funnily enough I did exactly the same tour and chose exactly the same cocktail - which I then had two of.
    Great place though I'm now wondering why they put things into Gin which smell like an empty old wardrobe !

Craftsman
    Fentimans for me, amazed no one has mentioned it (and if they have, and i've missed it, son!!!)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    I can't agree with that. There is a lot of quackery that claims it's harmful. Let's just explore why? The claim that distilled water is acidic is true. Left in the open distilled water will quickly absorb CO2 from the atmosphere making a very weak carbonic acid. - Yet we happily drink much more acidic things? The big problem is that it contains no minerals like tap water does. The lack of minerals from drinking distilled or demineralised water all the time will not be good for you. That is why the claim that RO water is OK but distilled is not is hogwash. If you filter and de-ionise and RO water you end up at the same place as if you distilled it.

So - on balance putting a little distilled water into your whiskey now an again is unlikely to be harmful IMHO.

However - I totally agree that the very best way to dilute a cask strength whiskey is to use the water that the distillery used when making the whisky originally. Failing that a nice spring water from close to the distillery would be my second choice.

Oh - to avoid being total OT - Fevertree
    i actually meant bottled water but my brain said different
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    i actually meant bottled water but my brain said different
    Now that's a difficult kettle of fish...or can of worms. Let's see...

Stay away from tonic unless you're in a malaria-infested area; it's far too sugar-laden to mask its bitter quinine otherwise, and it obliterates the aromatics of a quality gin.

Gin, soda and bitters is much preferable to the default G&T. Cucumber, any citrus rind, preserved lemon (especially in a gin martini), quality cold-pressed apple juice, ginger, and pineapple in any form all go well with gin, too — though they might be a bit much all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    It does not contribute to the loss of minerals it simply does not add the minerals we need like tap water does. The original statement you made in context of the tiny amounts of water you would splash into a glass of whisky creates a false impression.
    There is too much mumbo jumbo written on this topic on the internet already. Let us agree to stop adding to it.
    Either way, I'd suggest that the booze tends to do far more damage than whatever it's mixed with — save perhaps poisonous sugary sludge such as Red Bull.

Apropos of which: Imagine if the media covered alcohol like other drugs

Master
    Chaps

I discovered Tree Fever about 6 months ago and I rate it as the best tasting tonic water ever.

Regards

Mick

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    Sloes left in the bottle for about a year or so ,were just starting on the lot we bottled up last year .

Ours will be ready just before Xmas. Sloes were invented for Gin wasn't they

Craftsman
    I am completely new to gin. My local pub has a new landlady as she's taken it upon herself to "educate" me on gin.
    My current favourite is Hendricks, Fever Tree Mediterranean and a few slithers of cucumber.
    In fact that's what I'm drinking as I type this :)

Grapefruit peel and rosemary slightly crushed to that it's bruised then bathed in tonic water, Plymouth Gin then poured into a glass of rocks.....sublime!! Try it, you won't be disappointed.

Alternatively, Sanpellegrino lemonade and gin is a thing of beauty for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Grapefruit peel and rosemary slightly crushed to that it's bruised then bathed in tonic water, Plymouth Gin then poured into a glass of rocks.....sublime!! Try it, you won't be disappointed.

Alternatively, Sanpellegrino lemonade and gin is a thing of beauty for sure.
    The latter is also particularly good with Mahon.

Master
    Rhubarb Gin and Ginger beer :)

https://www.warneredwards.com/

I'm also really liking Brockmans gin with a good tonic
    http://brockmansgin.com/home

and it really is incredibly smooth.

Oh and if I can get it easily - 1724 tonic (http://www.1724tonic.com/) if not Fever tree.
    Last edited by Tomw2000; 25th November 2016 at 09:56.

Bitter lemon is the way to go, preferably with export strength Bombay Sapphire

Master
    Tried gin and Rosso the other day - ugh. Ventured into gin with Fevertree Mediterranean tonic as advised on this thread - deeeelightful!

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    I tried this last night (though with Tanqueray and, ahem, Bombay Sapphire) - a very pleasant twist. Thank you.

Craftsman
    This is a classic :

Frosted glass ( left in the freezer wet ) Fill half with crushed ice .
    Squeeze juice of 1 Lime into glass followed by a small spoon of Sugar syrup.
    Pour in Gin , be generous . A dry Gin with Juniper tones helps this, Sipsmith is good.
    Top up with cold Still water to taste depending on the amount of Gin used and a few slices of Lime
    Mix
    Drink.

Craftsman
    Gin and prosecco was suggested to me recently. I haven't tried it yet, something for Christmas morning perhaps?

Journeyman
    Gin, elderflower, a splash of apple juice and some tonic

Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    Gin and prosecco was suggested to me recently. I haven't tried it yet, something for Christmas morning perhaps?
    Well, a French 75 starts with a sugar cube and a few drops of Angostura's, with a measure of gin, lemon juice and champagne. It *might* work with prosecco...

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Tried gin and Rosso the other day ...
    A very sweet Martini? Or a Martinez that's missing a couple of ingredients? Add some Campari in equal measures and you'll have a Negroni.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Well, a French 75 starts with a sugar cube and a few drops of Angostura's, with a measure of gin, lemon juice and champagne. It *might* work with prosecco...
    To my eternal shame I had to google that, but must say, sounds wonderful. That's my weekend tipple sorted! Will report back...

My current favourite is (monkey 47) gin, elderflower fever tree and a twist of grapefruit peel over plenty of ice.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Ours will be ready just before Xmas. Sloes were invented for Gin wasn't they
    We have a Sloe bush (tree?) not 100ft from our back garden gate which leads to a small copse.
    I have to beat the neighbours to it every year and quite often risk picking them too early.
    We also have a Damson bush, both are great with Gin and Vodka.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Comfortably my favourite cocktail and a real classic. It does the job very efficiently, too... ;-)

I have experimented a bit but keep coming back to good ol' Shweppes tonic.

Just plain old tonic, with a squeeze of lime and a slither of lime rind, or tonic and cucumber - keeping it simple here.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    open the gin, pour it down the sink or give it to the other half, buy a nice single malt whisky, drink neat or with a small amount of distilled water, job done.
    +1.......... I'll drink gin when there's no other spirits left! Maybe I'm missing a trick, but I much prefer whisky if I'm drinking the strong stuff. Never heard of using distilled water though........one for the purists?

I've had the odd gin and tonic, but it's not a drink I choose.

Paul

Master
    tonic or bitter lemon.