closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Second Opinion On a Speedmaster

Journeyman

Second Opinion On a Speedmaster

Hi all,

I popped into a small local jeweller this morning after spotting what seemed to be an old Speedmaster in the window. From a distance, it looked to have lovely patina on the dial and looked overall, quite well used but worth a look none the less.

Anyway, I walk in and ask to see the watch, the lady serving me was very polite and fetched it for me straight away. However, upon closer inspection of the watch, I simply can't make any sense of it. A few key problems:

- The watch has no papers and no service history, although it runs seemingly well. It does have a box albeit a very aged box, which has definitely seen better days.
    - It's badly over-polished, although the sides of the lugs and case have retained their brushed finish.
    - Bracelet doesn't really match. The clasp doesn't even look genuine; although I suspect that this is due to over polishing.
    - Lady over the counter was told it was from 1975 or '76, but neither the bezel or the dial don't really match up to the claimed age. Although the patina on the hour markers look convincing, plus I assume the markers are Titrium.
    - Caseback just looks plain weird, but again, I suspect this is down to being over polished.

I thanked her for showing me the watch and left, albeit slightly bewildered to what I saw. I'm actually still interested in the watch regardless, but require some help on identifying the age of watch before I go any further. The dial patina still draws me in and looks great, but the rest of the watch (especially the bracelet) is telling me to stay well clear.

I've asked her to send me some photos of the watch, to which I've attached bellow:

It's up for sale at £2200 and is most probably negotiable.

I already own a new 311.30.42.30.01.005 reference Speedy and I'm absolutely smitten with it, but I've always had a thing for older Speedmasters. I just need some second opinions on the watch really, and is it worth a punt at around the £2000 mark?

Thanks in advance! :)

Journeyman
    My thoughts are exactly the same as yours.

Shame you can't open the back, I'd be tempted to see what a mess it was from the inside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'm not an expert but I would avoid

Too much things with that that would annoy me

Would rather pay an extra couple of 100 quid and buy from a reputable dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Definitely need to get the back off. At half that price might be worth a punt, at least the parts would sell separately to recover your money.

Journeyman
    I would stay away from this one!

Yes, plenty of better ones out there.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

My fears seemed to be echoed and I think I may go with the advice given and stay clear of this one. Something is definitely amiss with it.

Master
    I'd re-read your post as if you were being asked to give opinion. You point out many issues which should put you off.

Post 1972 is nearest you'll get to age, short of getting the back off. Bezel prob service replacement. Trit dial & hands look original, case back worn from use. Ask her to take back off, if all good offer £1500 & damn her impudence.
    Prices for these getting silly so could be an opportunity.

1975-76 can be true more or less. After 1972 is sure. Bezel is service replacement. Bracelet seems to be ref. 1498. All over polished so 2200 is way too much. Personally I think even 1500 is too much if the watch case is polished badly (can´t really say form pics). If not and if the cal. 861 inside is good then maybe 1400 or so could be my offer.

JP

Grand Master
    Over-priced and over-polished. However, the case may be OK to refinish, can`t be certain from the pics. Lots of refinishing work for some lucky lad.....and who knows what the movement's like? Someone's seriously having a laugh at this price, the watch will cost a few £100s to get right.

Better ones out there!

Paul

Master
    Fully agree with the views expressed. I wouldn't buy any older Speedmaster without seeing the movement, on account of the low water resistance. The case on this one has been heavily over polished - I have seldom seen the inner face of the lugs, which should be brushed, polished in this way. This is the one part of a worn Speedy which can normally remain in great, original condition.
    Even at £1500 I wouldn't be rushing to buy it. Don't get carried away by the dizzy prices that the really good original examples are making. This one will never be a desirable watch, regardless of how much you spend. The reality is that it must have been scruffy before someone polished it and now it's worth significantly less than before he started. Also, seriously consider that this is a 'Franken', unless proved otherwise.

Banned
    Avoid at all costs.

Craftsman
    With all due respect to everyone here, there would be no harm posting on Omega Forums for a second opinion.
    I don't like the way the case is polished but I do like the dial patina -- and you could get valuable input from a hive of collectors whose single focus is vintage speedmasters.

Doesn't matter if it's got no papers or service history. Most valuable vintage watches are sold that way. You will need a decent movement shot though.
    Best regards,
    S

If there are 'better' ones out there nowadays for c£1500, could we see them? As I said, ask her to whip the back off, its no big deal in a jewellers surely? If all good, she gets the £1500.
    I like the worn case back, takes the annoying sharp edges off.
    For what I see of late, you won't get near a pre moon for under £3.5k & ordinary 70s ones nearer 3.

Craftsman
    I would have guessed the watch is from the '90s rather than 70's, though hard to tell with the condition.
    More worryingly, shouldn't the serial no. and end link no. be visible from the photo?

Speedmaster

From what I see in the picture:

- the obvious: bracelet and case a over polished. Could be fixed by service.
    - the bezel: not original to watch but original Omega, probably replaced during a service in the 90's when the 1498 braceletwas added, not an issue IMHO
    - the dial: not 90's, I would guess late 70's or 80's.--> best part of the watch
    - bracelet: not original, later 1498 model with quite some stretch

conclusion: compete service surely needed. value without box and papers: max £1300

There are better ones on the market. Put a WTB on the forum and I am sure you'll find yor luck, like I did a few months ago.

Cheers,
    Serge

Well, the WTB did a lot if good, deluged.....NOT!
    Does the OP have an update btw?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    Well, the WTB did a lot if good, deluged.....NOT!
    I didn't think that the £1500 budget would attract a lot of interest. There's not much chance of picking one up at that level anymore. Pity.