closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 38 of 83 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,900 of 4134

Thread: Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Just bought a bottle of the Aberfedly 12 for the same price at Tecos this morning. Its a new one to me so looking forward to cracking it later on
    Nice one. It's generally been a solid £35 whisky for a while, unless I'm looking in the wrong places. I'm tempted to stock up.

I hope you enjoy it.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask up for £24.99 at Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laphroaig-W...4C8NJW0P3JABXV

Craftsman
    Thanks for that - the QC will do me for over Christmas :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Nice one. It's generally been a solid £35 whisky for a while, unless I'm looking in the wrong places. I'm tempted to stock up.

I hope you enjoy it.
    Having a go at it now Tony. It is nice enough but not a new experience, seems very typical of Speyside whiskys. Pleasant enough, rich but lacking any defining character, a good sipper

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulligrub View Post
    I picked up a bottle of the Glen Marnoch today. The first Aldi store had sold out, luckily for me the second store I visited had 4 bottles, I came out with just the one!
    I will more than likely have a taste at the weekend. It has a nice dark colour to it, the wooden box is not too bad!
    Their Islay single malt looks promising, anyone tried it?
    the Islay Glen Marnoch i have is labelled blended malt. nice though, i suspect a lot of caol ila content.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Having a go at it now Tony. It is nice enough but not a new experience, seems very typical of Speyside whiskys. Pleasant enough, rich but lacking any defining character, a good sipper
    It's very subtle. Keep at it and it'll eventually reveal itself properly. If I haven't had it for a while I'm sometimes well down the bottle before I 'get it' again (doesn't have to be half a bottle in the same night though).

I will do Tony, we will be well down the bottle soon Let's see if we get it; for reference we both agree on our two favourites Old Pultney and Glenrothes. Not much we both agree on so odd that it would be something as individual as whisky!

Just bought a bottle of the Aberfedly 12 for the same price at Tecos this morning. Its a new one to me so looking forward to cracking it later on
    I went to the Aberfeldy distillery a few years ago and did the tour. The video at the beginning had a bit explaining how the highland air helps to mature the whisky and give it its distinctive flavour.

Then the guide said later on they mature it in a warehouse on the outskirts of Glasgow.

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post

Now THAT is a good dram. Oh yes.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    I went to the Aberfeldy distillery a few years ago and did the tour. The video at the beginning had a bit explaining how the highland air helps to mature the whisky and give it its distinctive flavour.

Then the guide said later on they mature it in a warehouse on the outskirts of Glasgow.
    Ha ha, what a load of marketing BS. I would like to know the scientific explanation of 'Highland air'; we live near the Cairngorms and I dont detect any difference between here and Aberdeen. The Aberfeldy has failed me, the Mrs likes it so I will continue on with my bottle of Laphroig and leave her to it

Ha ha, what a load of marketing BS. I would like to know the scientific explanation of 'Highland air'; we live near the Cairngorms and I dont detect any difference between here and Aberdeen. The Aberfeldy has failed me, the Mrs likes it so I will continue on with my bottle of Laphroig and leave her to it
    I can certainly tell the difference between the air in Aberfeldy and Glasgow. Perhaps Aberdeen is so windy you don't get a chance? :D

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    the Islay Glen Marnoch i have is labelled blended malt. nice though, i suspect a lot of caol ila content.
    Thanks for the information. Just thought it might make a nice addition to the Christmas drinks stock.

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post

Well that's just cost me £50! Pretty much at the bottom of my current bottle.

Cheers for the heads-up, love the QC.

Costco have this for £25 on offer (it looks like now is the time to stock up on whiskey for they year with great offers)

Master
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...ds=glenfarclas

Glenfarclas 15 currently £33.49 at Amazon, which is the cheapest it's been in at least 2 years there and seems to be much cheaper than anywhere else. Looking forwards to comparing it against the Aberlour 12 I currently have open

Master
    Just bought the glenfarclas 15 wonder what it's like compared with the 2003 glenfarclas I've got

Master
    I visited the Dalwhinnie distillery earlier this year and was disappointed to find it owned by Diageo who have significantly reduced the workforce. The grain is now shipped in and bottling occurs elsewhere. Economies of scale are good for profits at the expense of the local workforce.
    I was surprised at the number of whiskies under this umbrella so now am exploring the Springbank offerings as they still employ a good number of workers and do the job from start to finish. Good on them!

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    I visited the Dalwhinnie distillery earlier this year and was disappointed to find it owned by Diageo who have significantly reduced the workforce. The grain is now shipped in and bottling occurs elsewhere. Economies of scale are good for profits at the expense of the local workforce.
    I was surprised at the number of whiskies under this umbrella so now am exploring the Springbank offerings as they still employ a good number of workers and do the job from start to finish. Good on them!
    A good point, a bit of googling will reveal that the vast majority of malts are owned by a tiny number of big companies. Diageo are by far the largest.

It's fascinating to see, for example, Caol Ila vs Springbank. The former produces over six million OBA from memory and employs under a dozen staff. Half of which are in the gift shop / showing people around / conducting tastings. Springbank pays a living wage, employs seventy staff and has opened a second distillery (Kilkerran). See also some of the smaller distilleries on Islay (the Laddie, Kilchoman, etc). Massive fan of SB. Probably have a *little* too much of their stock...

Here is a glimpse of who owns what:

http://www.whisky-emporium.com/UK/Fe...hoOwnsWhat.htm

https://whisky1.wordpress.com/distil...longs-to-whom/

It's an ever changing picture as you can see.
    Last edited by aldfort; 25th November 2016 at 11:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    It's fascinating to see, for example, Caol Ila vs Springbank. The former produces over six million OBA from memory and employs under a dozen staff. Half of which are in the gift shop / showing people around / conducting tastings. Springbank pays a living wage, employs seventy staff and has opened a second distillery (Kilkerran). See also some of the smaller distilleries on Islay (the Laddie, Kilchoman, etc). Massive fan of SB. Probably have a *little* too much of their stock...
    Springbank is one of my faves too. Always wanted to do a tour there.

As a heads up some pretty easy drinking cheap quaffing Whisky, good old Aldi have got their Christmas range of drinks in and I picked up a very palatable bottle of Irish Single Malt for £20 last weekend. You just can't go wrong with that kind of deal. It is as smooth as you like, in fact it's too easy drinking, I'll need another bottle this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Springbank is one of my faves too. Always wanted to do a tour there.
    Well worth doing the tour - and popping in to see Kilkerran. Also stop by Cadenheads and join the "Society". You can then get access to some interesting bottlings...

Springbank, Longrow and Kilkerran
    Last edited by Broussard; 25th November 2016 at 13:21.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    As a heads up some pretty easy drinking cheap quaffing Whisky, good old Aldi have got their Christmas range of drinks in and I picked up a very palatable bottle of Irish Single Malt for £20 last weekend. You just can't go wrong with that kind of deal. It is as smooth as you like, in fact it's too easy drinking, I'll need another bottle this weekend!
    I bought a bottle last night Dyflin or something? Very nice indeed, the Scottish single malt in Aldi is now back up to 7.99 it was £13 last week!!
    Last edited by wildheart; 28th November 2016 at 10:31.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I bought a bottle last night Dyfan or something? Very nice indeed, the Scottish single malt in Aldi is now back up to 7.99 it was £13 last week!!
    It's good stuff mate. I very nearly treated myself to a bottle of their 28 year old Glen Marnoch from Speyside tonight. £39 for a 28yo; bargain. Has anyone given this a try yet?

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    It's good stuff mate. I very nearly treated myself to a bottle of their 28 year old Glen Marnoch from Speyside tonight. £39 for a 28yo; bargain. Has anyone given this a try yet?
    Yes I posted my tasting notes a while back.

Grand Master
    Tucking into Penderyn Portwood this evening, fine rather random Welsh offering!
    RIAC

Picked up a bottle of Fireball on special the other day...Not a "real" Whiskey, but a Cinnamon and Whiskey flavoured liqueur.

It is what it is, tasty :)

Craftsman
    I was planning to try Dalmore for a while, eventually Amazon gave me a push..

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    I was planning to try Dalmore for a while, eventually Amazon gave me a push..

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    How much that one going now?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    How much that one going now?
    Lightning deal was £33.59, on other sites it's £36.95 (https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/...re-12-year-old).

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Yes I posted my tasting notes a while back.
    Thanks Aldfort, I found your review. May give this a try.

Never had it before, but I've just bought some of Tullibardine Sovereign from Sainsbury's for £25.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/...n-bourbon-cask

OK time for a whisky, I don't want yesterday's 'flu symptoms to come back...

what's your take on the Craigellachie, and the Caol Ila?

They are not bottlings I have seen before...........

Al

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    what's your take on the Craigellachie, and the Caol Ila?

They are not bottlings I have seen before...........

Al
    The Craigellachie is nice, but I've not had the 'standard' one to compare it with.

The Caol Ila was my favourite whisky at the Manchester whisky festival. I couldn't believe it when the chap on the stall said he had a bottle available, for £40! Absolute bargain....until I realised I'd just bought 20cl....

That bottle shall be saved for special occasions!

As a note, Waitrose had a good deal of Whisky on offer, including the Bunnahabhain 12 for £28! I could not resist!

My 'SOTC' of Whisky:

Islay - Bunnahabhain 12 and 18, Caol Ila 12 and 14 'Unpeated', Lagavulin 16 and Distillers Edition, Ardbeg Uigeadail, Port Charlotte 'Heavily Peated' and finally the Kilchoman Loch Gorm.

Non Islay - Suntory 12 Hibiki, Glenfiddich 15 Solera Cask, Glenfiddich 'IPA', Auchentoshan 'Three Wood', The Balvenie 'Doublewood' 12, Talisker Distillers Edition and Johnny Walker Double Black (Half Islay).

Enjoying the Ardbeg tonight

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    As a note, Waitrose had a good deal of Whisky on offer, including the Bunnahabhain 12 for £28! I could not resist!

My 'SOTC' of Whisky:

Islay - Bunnahabhain 12 and 18, Caol Ila 12 and 14 'Unpeated', Lagavulin 16 and Distillers Edition, Ardbeg Uigeadail, Port Charlotte 'Heavily Peated' and finally the Kilchoman Loch Gorm.

Non Islay - Suntory 12 Hibiki, Glenfiddich 15 Solera Cask, Glenfiddich 'IPA', Auchentoshan 'Three Wood', The Balvenie 'Doublewood' 12, Talisker Distillers Edition and Johnny Walker Double Black (Half Islay).

Enjoying the Ardbeg tonight

That is an excellent peaty collection! I'm flying back home next Saturday to spend a couple of weeks with my family in the UK, my old man tells me he has 30 different single malts waiting. I've told him he's
    cutting this rather fine!

In some misguided attempt at being all moral and whatnot, I have decided to only buy whisky from independent distilleries from now on - mainly due to the fact that I was rather annoyed at the likes of Diageo with their deer culling and tax dodging shenanigans. First up, a bottle of Wolfburn. Not cracking it open until Christmas day so you'll have to wait for the verdict!

Craftsman
    It's great that a few independents like Springbank are doing well but it's the big companies that made Scotch the dominant whisky globally. Scotch is inherently expensive to make compared to lots of other spirits and without economies of scale it just wouldn't compete. Dalwhinnie has a small workforce on site (unchanged for the last twenty years) but gets malt from Burghead, casks from Alloa, matures in Clackmannanshire and is bottled in Fife. Overall a pretty significant impact on the Scottish economy.

I've just be very lucky in purchasing a Macallan 1700 series Chairmans release for a fantastic price.

Now, do I drink it or hold on to as an investment???

Blurb...

This is the flagship of the 1700 series of Macallan: the “Chairman’s Release,” was bottled in 2001. 700ml. 43%vol.
    Manufactured in stunning premium flint gicel glass, this heavy weight modern style flask has a beautifully slender silhouette. This is complimented by the containers’ gently curving shoulders and thick base which give the flask its distinctive character, perfectly reflecting the exceptional whisky inside.
    A must have for any Macallan enthusiasts.

Nose: Bitter dark orange chocolate. In fact, Chocolate Orange (Dark) in a glass!
    Palate: Smooth, lots of dark chocolate, a little smoke and a little earthy flintiness. Very much a dessert whisky.
    Finish: Long and slightly smokey, still continuing with notes of chocolate oranges.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    My winter stock up

Opened that bowmore 18 yet? If so, how is it?
    I have the 12 and the Springtide but contemplating adding the 18 to the cabinet.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    In some misguided attempt at being all moral and whatnot, I have decided to only buy whisky from independent distilleries from now on - mainly due to the fact that I was rather annoyed at the likes of Diageo with their deer culling and tax dodging shenanigans. First up, a bottle of Wolfburn. Not cracking it open until Christmas day so you'll have to wait for the verdict!

I have tried Wolfburn. It is a very young whisky and imho needs a good few more years to mature and find its flavour.

cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Springbank's worth adding to your list.

And if you can widen the net to include independent bottlings, then Cadenheads offers a fine range.

Quote Originally Posted by AMS87 View Post
    Opened that bowmore 18 yet? If so, how is it?
    I have the 12 and the Springtide but contemplating adding the 18 to the cabinet.
    the Bowmore 18 is fantastic. I am really not a peaty fan, and this is more smoky than peaty. Its winter in a bottle, with lots of chocolate and toffee flavour...perfect for this time of year

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I've just be very lucky in purchasing a Macallan 1700 series Chairmans release for a fantastic price.

Now, do I drink it or hold on to as an investment???

Blurb...

This is the flagship of the 1700 series of Macallan: the “Chairman’s Release,” was bottled in 2001. 700ml. 43%vol.
    Manufactured in stunning premium flint gicel glass, this heavy weight modern style flask has a beautifully slender silhouette. This is complimented by the containers’ gently curving shoulders and thick base which give the flask its distinctive character, perfectly reflecting the exceptional whisky inside.
    A must have for any Macallan enthusiasts.

Nose: Bitter dark orange chocolate. In fact, Chocolate Orange (Dark) in a glass!
    Palate: Smooth, lots of dark chocolate, a little smoke and a little earthy flintiness. Very much a dessert whisky.
    Finish: Long and slightly smokey, still continuing with notes of chocolate oranges.

You only live once.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike7 View Post
    I have tried Wolfburn. It is a very young whisky and imho needs a good few more years to mature and find its flavour.

cheers,
    That might be hard now it's in the bottle.

Chuck one of these in it?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    the Bowmore 18 is fantastic. I am really not a peaty fan, and this is more smoky than peaty. Its winter in a bottle, with lots of chocolate and toffee flavour...perfect for this time of year
    Excellent thanks. Whisky exchange have it for £72 a bottle right now. Tempted.

Some of the "unopened" stock.............

I do like the classic Islay malts, but also the lowlands as well. Love Glenkinchie and Auchentoshan as aperitifs.

Al

Apprentice
    sorry if I misled you. I mean that as they started producing whisky in 2013 or so, the stuff they have now bottled is minimum age.

taste is up to the taster, but it is not to my palate.

cheers, ( or should it be sláinte)