closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RUDELLS ROLEX AD HOLDING ON TO GTEE CARDS FOR 12 MTHS

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    No, they can't.
    There are a limited number of people who can seize your property in this country and shop workers are not one of them.
    How it would play out practically is a different question. You're unlikely to get the local police interested so it would come down to how much you are up for an unsightly squabble in the shop and how much they want to have one.
    The issue here is that - like 'hangtag-gate' - buying what is a luxury watch for most people should be a pleasure and ADs acting like this are making it feel all a bit grubby.
    If one of the conditions of the sale that they hang onto it, surely they can.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    So you had the warranty card, you just forgot to take it with you?, brings us back to stopping new owners not being able to flip, because the card is needed.
    No, I had the warranty card with me and even though the AD supplied the watch and could check their records I had to produce it for the warranty work to go ahead.

An AD holding on to the card is unacceptable for all the reasons mentioned in this thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    So you really side with a manufacturer that is actively trying to prevent you selling your own property?

Can I ask why you think thats ok?
    Exactly, this guy is living in the past, 2016 has been the year the guy down the pub has had enough and stuck it to those in power.

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    Exactly, this guy is living in the past, 2016 has been the year the guy down the pub has had enough and stuck it to those in power.
    Speechless!!

IF.. the warranty cards et al are part of the package, which we all assume they are, then if the dealer hangs on to them after payment then it is, by definition, theft. It's not a HP agreement so they have zero rights. I wouldn't let a car dealership hang on to the logbook.

I'd walk round the counter and take them off them. Then see how keen they are to look after them for customers.

Blog Entries
    Just return it to the AD you purchased
    i refer you to my previous answer:

To add to this, my latest Rolex bought this July was from an AD more than 200 miles from me. I would take it to St James directly not via AD if it need warranty work, so require the warranty card

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    i refer you to my previous answer:
    But as Rolex have a copy of the sales invoice on record (from what has been said on TZ before), then if you went into St. James, surely they'd be able to check the system. The card would no doubt make things easier, but I bet they still check their files anyway when you present the card - to my way of thinking, having the card is not a legal requirement to access warranty. What if you lost it, had a house fire, flood, whatever.

Edit: Perhaps someone will simply write to, or email, Rolex and get a policy statement. It's as easy as that if you're worried......personally I'm not.
    Last edited by Mouse; 9th December 2016 at 17:18. Reason: The answer!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    So you really side with a manufacturer that is actively trying to prevent you selling your own property?

Can I ask why you think thats ok?

Because it halts the profiteering route that's been evident in recent months, for me they could hold the box and gubbins as well as it's only the watch I want.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    "Fine. I'll pay half now and the other half in a year's time when you hand over the guarantee".
    Great answer LOL :))))

Because it halts the profiteering route that's been evident in recent months, for me they could hold the box and gubbins as well as it's only the watch I want.
    Recent months?

It's been going on for years - and will continue to do so.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Sod the watch business, you need to be in politics. Penalise the majority for the actions of a few.

Journeyman
    In the case of Rolex, the guarantee is represented by the card (this is why it is called a guarantee card). By not supplying the card, the shop are not supplying a guarantee. Is Rolex happy that their watches are being sold without guarantees?
    I can't believe that there is no official word on this, you would think that a brand who wants to protect its reputation would clarify it unless they are just heaping it on the ADs, which is a pretty cowardly way of doing it.

If someone wants to sell their own property, that's nobody's business but theirs. Whether they make a profit or a loss is entirely irrelevant.
    Profiteering is nonsense. They are buying something and selling it with a mark up, which is exactly what the retailers are doing. They are just annoyed that there is profit flying around which isn't going into their pockets.
    Last edited by dobbsie; 9th December 2016 at 19:23.

Blog Entries
    Just a (hopefully) final point. Rolex does stipulate the guarantee card must be presented for any work under warranty (either by original owner or otherwise). So if the AD withholds the guarantee card for 12 months even the original owner cannot get warranty work completed (during that time).

Give these a ring and get the answer.

ROLEX UK HEAD OFFICE (NOT SALES)
    19 St James's Square
    London
    London
    SW1Y 4JE
    United Kingdom
    Tel: +44 20 7024 7300
    Mon-Fri: 9:00am - 5:00pm
    Excluding National Holidays and Christmas/New Year Closure
    Fantastic to see this thread teeming with so many ideas and speculation - has anyone actually attempted to contact Rolex on the contact details provided here?

May put everyone out of their misery? (Unless we are enjoying this thread for bants)

Journeyman
    From the other, other thread;
    Thank you for your email.
    We kindly advise that the process for selling Rolex watches is left at the discretion of our Official Retailers.
    Assuring you of our best intentions

Customer Relations Co-Ordinator, ROLEX UK
    So it's just retailers being dicks.

I'm with you Fords mate. They should hold the watch for 12 months, that'll teach 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by dobbsie View Post

If ROLEX wants to sell their own property, that's nobody's business but theirs. .
    A little bit of substitution for sake of balance, and reality............

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Lovewatches108 View Post
    Fantastic to see this thread teeming with so many ideas and speculation - has anyone actually attempted to contact Rolex on the contact details provided here?

May put everyone out of their misery? (Unless we are enjoying this thread for bants)
    Don't be daft that would be far too easy (and sensible).

Not to mention the many customers in shops up and down the country who have purchased their watch problem free with all the paperwork intact. Or the fact there is no mention of this policy on the Rolex website.

Journeyman
    If ROLEX wants to sell their own property, that's nobody's business but theirs. .
    Not true though is it? As shown, Rolex do not have a policy. The AD's want to sell part of their property and keep part of it. It's indicative of a trader who had little or no regard for their customers, just sore that they aren't making even more money.

Seems to me that 'some' Rolex AD's are enjoying some kind of weird power trip over customers of sports model Rolex watches. I bet they wouldn't be being so obtuse and trying to withhold parts of the purchase if you're buying a brand new Cellini......

Blog Entries
    I rang RUDELLS today I asked the nice lady on the phone
    Are you keeping the gtee cards on rolex sports she said only
    Black and blue due to them being sold on the grey market
    I also asked well do rolex know you are doing this
    She said yes they do
    My friend the other day was told all sports models would have the cards held back

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Recent months?

It's been going on for years - and will continue to do so.

Yes recent months, with the onset of £ devaluation against other currencies the VAT free shopping + the price rise encouraged sales from O/S the UK/EU, sports models disappeared very quickly, while on the grey market sports models are selling way above RRP and the Daytona doubling overnight Rolex find themselves in a bit of a quandary as profiteering is damaging the brand name.

The only way Rolex can stop the rot is to flood the UK market with the popular models and bring a halt to the demand/hype, doing so damages the brand even further as they obviously wanted to encourage a feeling of exclusivity for certain 2015/16 models.

Result very limited sports in AD's, greys abundant supply way above RRP, it may have been going on for years but never like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I'm with you Fords mate. They should hold the watch for 12 months, that'll teach 'em.

At the next GTG we'll just bring the warranty cards then as they hold far greater value than I thought.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by golfg60 View Post
    She said yes they do
    My friend the other day was told all sports models would have the cards held back

My question would have been why? As a retailer you have had your 20+% margin and Rolex as an organisation have had their profit too, should this watch be sold on the grey market it will be for more than the RRP which as a result will make you as a retailer a more attractive point of purchase and increase enquiries and ultimately sales.

Infact please do hold back the cards it will push more customers to the professionals that are in the grey market, just another example of people getting busy for the sake of it and holding back the cards will isolate the dealers so good luck to them.

Buyers of luxury watches are international as is the warranty and as been said might be needed in foreign countries or even not want to feel like a child who has to ask their parents for permission .
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Well said Kerry

Blog Entries
    Yes recent months, with the onset of £ devaluation against other currencies the VAT free shopping + the price rise encouraged sales from O/S the UK/EU, sports models disappeared very quickly, while on the grey market sports models are selling way above RRP and the Daytona doubling overnight Rolex find themselves in a bit of a quandary as profiteering is damaging the brand name.

The only way Rolex can stop the rot is to flood the UK market with the popular models and bring a halt to the demand/hype, doing so damages the brand even further as they obviously wanted to encourage a feeling of exclusivity for certain 2015/16 models.

Result very limited sports in AD's, greys abundant supply way above RRP, it may have been going on for years but never like this.

At the next GTG we'll just bring the warranty cards then as they hold far greater value than I thought.

Why is profiteering damaging the brand name?

I don't think Porsche seemed to mind when they released the GT4 and 911R and the prices went crazy.

Let it go guys, on this subject Fords is trolling so don't feed him
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    No worries

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

Did you say Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by newsboy View Post
    Why is profiteering damaging the brand name?

I don't think Porsche seemed to mind when they released the GT4 and 911R and the prices went crazy.

What has this thread got to do with a car manufacturer who releases only a few cars compared to thousands of Rolex.

No worries

Bye Guys.

Blog Entries
    Did you say Guys.

What has this thread got to do with a car manufacturer who releases only a few cars compared to thousands of Rolex.

Bye Guys.

Why not answer my question?

Blog Entries
    Did you say Guys.

Bye Guys.

Why not answer my Question?

Banned
    Why not answer my Question?

I did.

Blog Entries
    The all-encompassing rule of thumb with any AD or in fact any retailer is this:-

If you, the customer, are not fully happy with the way you are being treated, simply take your business elsewhere. Sellers need to sell far more than customers need to buy and sellers who do not understand or prefer not to deliver 'quality customer experience' can go to the wall and good riddance and be damned to them!
    Last edited by KavKav; 11th December 2016 at 09:29.

I wonder what the situation would be if you brought the watch with the AD stating that they were going to hold the warranty card. However, you will not of signed any document stating that you agree to this so could you not then report them to the police for theft of your property which you now legally own

Grand Master
    Yawn.........all this fuss about certain Rolex models that I personally think are fairly mediocre at best.

The folks at Rolex probably read all this guff and piss themselves laughing.

A message to those poor souls who lust after these unattainable models: life is sooooo much nicer when you don`t actually want them!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Yawn.........all this fuss about certain Rolex models that I personally think are fairly mediocre at best.

The folks at Rolex probably read all this guff and piss themselves laughing.

A message to those poor souls who lust after these unattainable models: life is sooooo much nicer when you don`t actually want them!

Paul
    Ha ha I agree Paul! I don't think I like any of the current Rolex models.

In fact, I think I don't like any modern watches at all!

Master
    If you are in the process of buying a Rolex from an AD and they try pulling this stunt, why not call the police and tell them that you are in XXX jewellery store and there's a robbery taking place, but you've got the culprit made?

Quote Originally Posted by golfg60 View Post
    She said yes they do
    Doubt that they will do this towards tourists/international customers buying tax free, surely directed only towards domestic customers?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    If you are in the process of buying a Rolex from an AD and they try pulling this stunt, why not call the police and tell them that you are in XXX jewellery store and there's a robbery taking place, but you've got the culprit made?
    The police would say it wasn't a police matter. They'd be right, unfortunately. It's definitely not theft (in that there is no intention to permanently deprive the legitimate owner of his or her goods and, perhaps debatably, there is no element of dishonesty).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    The all-encompassing rule of thumb with any AD or in fact any retailer is this:-

If you, the customer, are not fully happy with the way you are being treated, simply take your business elsewhere. Sellers need to sell far more than customers need to buy and sellers who do not understand or prefer not to deliver 'quality customer experience' can go to the wall and good riddance and be damned to them!
    This.

But it is nevertheless helpful to let other people know of poor customer service such as this and I think it is quite reasonable to get angry about it.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 12th December 2016 at 09:11.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post

If you, the customer, are not fully happy with the way you are being treated, simply take your business elsewhere. Sellers need to sell far more than customers need to buy
    In general this rule applies. However, by restricting supply of certain models, Rolex has created a situation whereby dealers have queues of people waiting for these watches. This effectively creates the reverse situation unless the buyer is prepared to walk away.

It's not right and, long term, you'd hope that the retailer would pay for this behaviour.

Craftsman
    I don't think I have ever wanted anything so badly that I would accept such a business manner. There are other nice watches than Rolex out there. But then, of course, I bought my one and only Rolex in 1978, so I can hardly claim to be a devout Rolex fan.
    Last edited by Leif; 12th December 2016 at 20:18.