closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wines for Christmas - what is everyone drinking..?

Craftsman

Wines for Christmas - what is everyone drinking..?

Being a massive passion of mine i was interested to know what everyone is planning on having for their christmas wines?

Is it a case of buy what's on offer that week or is there planning involved?

For me, a lover of bordeaux, that will be the focus of the day. The wine i have sent ahead to my in-laws is a case of Angludet, Margaux from the amazing 2009 vintage.

Happy drinking everyone!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm a wine dullard I'm afraid. I was told a few years ago to buy a case of Chateaux Margaux Premier Cru First growth.

Didn't listen obviously. Kind of regret that now!

For me, it'll be my new favourite thing, Tusker lager from Kenya (Via Costco).

Master
    I will be in France with my wife's family so we'll be drinking some wines from here:

http://www.chateaudemonbazan.fr

and here:

http://www.domainedebrunet.com

and champagne from here:

http://www.champagne-fp.com

Each producer being a cousin of my wife :)

Some Pinot and brut reserve fizz from Gusbourne vineyard in Kent, i find most champagne overpriced and too acidic but this is lovely.
    La Rioja Alta vina ardanza, sp68 Occhipinti from Sicily, some blaufrankish from Austria (not bought it yet).
    A Guitian Godello from Galicia and a Grillo from Sicily.
    Some Bentomiz from Malaga for dessert. And a half of DonPX Pedro Ximinez.

I don't see/taste the value from the well known traditional French/Italian reds having been underwhelmed in the past.

I never need an excuse to crack open a bottle of this local fizz. In my opinion, it's top drawer and a lot of bang for buck and would stand toe-to-toe with many highly regarded Champagnes!!

https://www.camelvalley.com/2013-cam...al-winner.html
    Last edited by Ticker; 18th December 2016 at 22:43.

I bought a case of Domaine de Chevalier (2009) a few years back decided to drink a bottle with Christmas dinner six years on the trot. Two down and four to go - superb stuff and last time I looked about £90 a bottle, but I got it on offer from Tesco of all places a few years back at £50 a bottle.

I usually open something like a Penfolds 389 or a Wolf Blass Grey Lable so there is some choice and of course some Port.

A heavy day indeed, as is everyday.

De Chansac is my usual but have a few bottles of 1992 Chateau Batailley to drink.

More importantly I have a Tunworth, Isle of Wight blue, Black Bomber, Colston Bassett and Mont d'Or (so far).
    "A man of little significance"

The star will be a bottle from Didier Barral

http://www.domaineleonbarral.com/

Otherwise there'll be some Riesling from a couple of winemakers we discovered earlier in the year and some port; probably something from Quinta do Javali and we might even manage a half bottle of white "port" from one of our favourite German winemakers, Thorsten Melsheimer.

Oh, and some cheese.

Some expensive wines being talked about on here. liebfraumilch, blue nun and some 20/20 for my house. Maybe some buckfast to change things up a bit

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Some expensive wines being talked about on here. liebfraumilch, blue nun and some 20/20 for my house. Maybe some buckfast to change things up a bit
    Lidl are doing some great wines for the same price as blue nun etc. Not all cheap wines are grim you just have to search for them. The newspapers tend to do a supermarket wine guide at Christmas for all price points.

Master
    Its a quiet christmas with just me and the Mrs and we are out for Christmas dinner.

But I've got in some "The Dead Arm" shiraz, some Ravens Wood Zinfandel and my flyer of the year was Oeil de Perdrix Rosé NV Champagne.

A tip from Harry Metcalfe of EVO fame, reported to be a very good champagne for the price.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a client who used to have a top restaurant in Bristol with a very good wine cellar recommend McGuigan Merlot from Sainsbury's. Around £5 a bottle. I bought 12 even though I don't drink myself. It smelled nice though.

Mine will be from Aldi's. I had a nice Chablis from there last week, I also like their Argentinian Malbec and New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. They do some surprisingly good wines in the £5-10 category; and to be honest even their cheap stuff isn't half bad.

Craftsman
    Chateau Musar, some port and a gin for later!

Craftsman
    I'm a fan of sutter home but it's very hard to come by these days, again it's a cheaper bottle, circa £10, but after scouring the shelves of my local wine shops I just like it! If that isn't available I like stowa rose. Another £5 bottle that punches above its weight and suits my pallet. It's also on sale 3 for £11 right now, bargain!
    I've yet to taste a bottle of wine over £20 that I'd drink for free truth be told.

Sainsbury's are bringing all the goodies this year. Sauternes is a must mid Christmas morning, they look to do a half bottle from the taste the difference range. Chateau La Tulipe de la Garde is on offer and looks like it will go well with Pheasant but will make the final adjustments to the basket tonight . Bring it on.....................

Craftsman
    There are some nice wines being talked about here.

I like the Chateau Musar, Dead Arm Shiraz (actually anything from d'Arenberg is very interesting!), Ravenswood Lodi Zinfandel.

However, what is the connoisseurs choice to drink with a roast turkey dinner? I was thinking of going down the usual Pinot Noir route or a lighter Rhone.

Cheers,

We'll have a Chablis (or two maybe).

Probably from Tesco or Waitrose, if my wife gets it, or M&S, if my Mum does!

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 19th December 2016 at 18:08.

Tesco wine have just reduced their Wirra Wirra Church Block by 40% down to £45 a case of 6 - but you are only allowed two cases. A quality Aussie Shiraz.

It is good stuff, especially at that price. It won't be there for long.

https://www.tesco.com/wine/product/d...0&id=273982761

Just put my order in - go for next day delivery (free) which is Wednesday. If you pick a timed slot you won't see it until the New Year.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 19th December 2016 at 17:50.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Mine will be from Aldi's. I had a nice Chablis from there last week, I also like their Argentinian Malbec and New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. They do some surprisingly good wines in the £5-10 category; and to be honest even their cheap stuff isn't half bad.
    Their Pinot Noir is great too.

Craftsman
    Barefoot shiraz.
    Absolutely bloody lovely and only £6 a bottle. Also Barefoot cabinet very smooth

Master
    Can't recall what it is, but I've a bottle of red aging inthecellar which I was gifted by a sommelier friend who picked it up at one of the royal functions he was working last Christmas. Pays d'oc or medoc or something.

Master
    Dry Christmas for me I'm afraid but I will pass on these excellent tips to a friend of mine who enjoys the stuff with a passion

I have to admit to a tinge of envy as I read this thread being as 2016 will be first non alcohol Christmas for just over 40 years. The good news is that I have been able to siphon off some of the money saved and divert this into my watch fund so every cloud and all that.

Have a good time folks!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Tesco wine have just reduced their Wirra Wirra Church Block by 40% down to £45 a case of 6 - but you are only allowed two cases. A quality Aussie Shiraz.

Just put my order in - go for next day delivery (free) which is Wednesday. If you pick a timed slot you won't see it until the New Year.
    Just ordered 12 bottles.👍

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I have to admit to a tinge of envy as I read this thread being as 2016 will be first non alcohol Christmas for just over 40 years. The good news is that I have been able to siphon off some of the money saved and divert this into my watch fund so every cloud and all that.

Have a good time folks!
    👍

I am a Sauvignon Blanc fan so I have a bottle of Cloudy Bay Te Koko lined up as a treat for Christmas Day.

Decent bottle of burgundy.
    I've not been able to source The Dead Arm or Laughing Magpie for ages. Both firm favourites.

A drop of claret for our main course (beef wellington) should do the trick.

2003 was a cracking year so looking to this:

Still need to select some port from the cellar... oh and some fizz... I'll update Shen the decision is made

I say, looks very palatable.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

Have a good time folks!
    Fair play to you. Did that last year (and New Years Eve). To be honest, you'll feel all the better for it.

Hoping to find a bottle of laughing magpie to go with a Gruner Veltliner from Waitrose
    also have som vin santo for a pudding wine
    slurp

Christmas will be no different.Yellow tail merlot

Craftsman

Cool Change from 32 years of DeBoeuf

Christophe Pacalet Beaujolais Nouveau

In no particular order:

Jack Daniels
    Dom Perignon
    Pelorus
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    We have a firkin of Harvey's Best.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    In no particular order:

Jack Daniels
    Dom Perignon
    Pelorus
    Now we are talking!!! Again in no particular order -

Jack Daniels
    Bollinger
    Waimea Gerwurtztramina and Sauv Blanc
    Dark Matter (spiced rum)
    Port

And probably not at one sitting!!!!

This Ch. Larteau 2010, Bordeaux Superieur looks tempting. £53.94 for half a case and free delivery.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ch-larteau-20...rmingWines2016

Red - McGuigan ,Black Label, Shiraz/Merlot
    White - Paul Cluver, Close Encounter, Riesling.
    Last edited by chrisb; 26th December 2016 at 12:44. Reason: autocorrect does not like Cluver

Mainly Argentine Malbec.

Master
    Just Champagne darling! Veuve for the Buck's Fizz, Laurent Perrier Rose for a wee afternoon snifter, and a Moët 2002 if I'm still standing.

And when that lots gone whatever Chardonnay I can find for around £10 a bottle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    ...Oeil de Perdrix Rosé NV Champagne.

A tip from Harry Metcalfe of EVO fame, reported to be a very good champagne for the price.
    It is indeed - Mrs Cain and I stumbled on it back in 2004 when we were tasting wines for our wedding, and we've had some in the house ever since. Very palatable indeed.

This year we will mostly be pouring Vilmart, Charles Frey Riesling (Alsace), a nice Gigondas - and we have the obligatory case of "Good Ordinary Claret" coming from Berry Bros.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

Ok... brought 6... better be good! But, a bold Shiraz as a change up from French red never did anybody any harm!

Other than that I've some wonderful bio Macon villages from a couple of estates in the Saint Veran region which I picked up in the summer - wonderful stuff

Other than that some beautiful Rhone red - simply my favourite red region in France

Craftsman
    I got a few wirra wirra's and first impression is good!

I'll be following the recommendations of http://www.bumwine.com/

Happy Easter!
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I'll be following the recommendations of http://www.bumwine.com/

Happy Easter!
    **tempted to open that URL but worried the NSA might judge**

Another wine ponce here.

White will be a 2006 Corton Charlemagne and the red will be a 1999 Charmes Chambertin. Both from Pierre Bouree.

Malc

Never touch the stuff, I will however be doing my best to finish a case of Birra Morretti.

We had lots of the 2014 Cabalie at a family wedding yesterday - very good indeed.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Just having some Maury with a nice Roquefort

Master
    It's becoming a tradition in our house to have a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape with our Christmas dinner and this year it will be the same.