closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel cars - would you or wouldn't you?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I settled on a 1.8 Type S iVtec petrol in the end and getting about 40 mpg local driving
    Really? I couldn't get that out of my accord diesel.

I'm a recent convert to diesel

I run two cars, a modified 440hp V8 5.5l SLK and a diesel polo bluemotion.

The merc gets 15-18mpg round town and the polo 75mpg + . I've just done London - Norwich - Worcester - London..grand total of 490 miles and its not even used a full tank of 40 litres. What i particularly like is the mid range torque which is way better than the recent small engined petrol cars i've driven

Master
    Last couple i have had have been 3.0l diesels - great mix of power and economy averaging close to 40mpg. My 3.0l petrol before that was not getting much more than 27mpg and I spent a lot of time on the motorway. Unless I go for a sporty 2 seater or 2+2, I will stick with diesel

Master
    Blog Entries
    Always had diesels and have just bought one of the last Discovery 4s I will keep it 3 years and then it will be a sensible Petrol car for retirement. Wife's car is petrol as is my Z4 weekend ride. As a keen cyclist I find it's the diesels that smell and are more offensive.

Journeyman
    I drive an E350d and cover approx 35k miles a year, a good mix of town and open road. For me the power and comfort provided is only matched by 4.5l+ petrol cars.

The idea of banning diesels in town centres is crazy, the only way I can see it working is for them to exempt trade and commercial vehicles, which is the opposite of what's required.

Master
    I have a BMW 125d twin turbo for mile munching. 220hp with 50mpg on a long run loads of mid range torque (same peak as the M135i). Red line is 5500rpm. Only real downside is the noise which is a little uninspiring but much better than the death rattle many VW diesels seem to make. I have tried a 320i petrol on loan and found it gutless and thirsty so for a day to day vehicle diesel still makes sense to me, though the talk of tax hikes and city centre access restrictions is worrying.
    Last edited by Padders; 24th December 2016 at 09:12.

Blog Entries
    I opt out of the company car scheme as I'm not bothered about cars and I'd sooner have the cash... only do around 2k work mileage a year

I brought a VW Touran bluemotion TDI - one my main aims was to get an car that wasn't harsh on the environment- whoops (the VW fiasco stated two months after I brought it)

So, I reckon I do about 10k a year...

So, a question, at what annual mileage point does it make more sense to switch from diesel to petrol

Also, if i keep the diesel out of town does it make more sense environmentaly still?

Small fish in car terms here but must admit there nothing like starting up my M135i the sound and smell is awesome, so can't imagine what's it's like every time you fire up a proper car!

Unfortunately options are limited currently with vans so new van is another diesel for the next 3 years hopefully by then there will be a decent petrol/hybrid/electric alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

So, a question, at what annual mileage point does it make more sense to switch from diesel to petrol
    I read an article which suggested you need to do more than 16,000-18,000 a year to make a diesel a sensible option when buying new. This takes into account the normally higher rrp of the diesel car and higher servicing costs offset by the better mpg.

Second hand you still pay more for diesel than the equivalent petrol variant and then there is the costly replacement of diesel particulate filters so I would think the same kind of mileage applies.

I have a 5 litre supercharged petrol v8 doing about 20 mpg but only 6,000 miles a year. The wife has a diesel grand cherokee and only does about 8,000 at 28 mpg so fuel bills aren't that bad.

Something that improved my diesel: stage one tune. Worth every penny, more even power though the range, smoother, better mpg.

Never had one.

I worry about the complexity and cost of services - In reality its probably no bigger a deal than a modern computerised petrol car.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Something that improved my diesel: stage one tune. Worth every penny, more even power though the range, smoother, better mpg.
    Agreed, but can be a nightmare from an insurance perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubdweller View Post
    I'm a recent convert to diesel

I run two cars, a modified 440hp V8 5.5l SLK and a diesel polo bluemotion.

The merc gets 15-18mpg round town and the polo 75mpg + . I've just done London - Norwich - Worcester - London..grand total of 490 miles and its not even used a full tank of 40 litres. What i particularly like is the mid range torque which is way better than the recent small engined petrol cars i've driven
    We were in a similar (but lower budget) situation a few years back.

Gorgeous BMW E30 316i Lux which would return about 30mpg and a tatty Citroen AX 1.4D what would return close to 3 times that.

The result was that the BMW sat like an ornament on the drive and the AX was used for virtually everything, especially the long journeys.

At the moment it's a Yeti diesel (55mpg) for journeys, BMW R1200R motorcycle (50mpg) for fun and BMW Cruise bicycle (electric) for commuting and about town.

Regards your Polo, you need to try harder; I recently managed to get over 580 miles on one tank in my lad's petrol Citigo (35 litre tank)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I read an article which suggested you need to do more than 16,000-18,000 a year to make a diesel a sensible option when buying new. This takes into account the normally higher rrp of the diesel car and higher servicing costs offset by the better mpg.

Second hand you still pay more for diesel than the equivalent petrol variant and then there is the costly replacement of diesel particulate filters so I would think the same kind of mileage applies.

I have a 5 litre supercharged petrol v8 doing about 20 mpg but only 6,000 miles a year. The wife has a diesel grand cherokee and only does about 8,000 at 28 mpg so fuel bills aren't that bad.
    Thanks... might have a 61 plate blue motion touran up for sale then!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Agreed, but can be a nightmare from an insurance perspective.

Most insurance companies don't bother unless its more then a 20% with a diesel even then its not a lot of money. The big bucks or refuse insurance is when its a Sports car with petrol ie when you take a std TT in the day running 225 bhp then remap to circa 300 bhp

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Most insurance companies don't bother unless its more then a 20% with a diesel even then its not a lot of money. The big bucks or refuse insurance is when its a Sports car with petrol ie when you take a std TT in the day running 225 bhp then remap to circa 300 bhp
    Some don't bother, some charge a little, some charge a lot and some say that they won't insure with modifications.

Unfortunately I have a 25% discount voucher for a Revo remap, but my insurer falls into the "won't insure with modifications" category :-(

Mercedes did not detect the remap and it doesn't impact the guarantee.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Here, taxis are turning to hybrids, and city centre buses are electric.
    Very few solely diesel buses in London now, mostly hybrid. Black cabs still diesel but most Addy Lee cars and uber taxis are Prius's. Addy Lee still run a lot of diesel people carriers. London will be diesel free in a matter of years I'm sure!

Blog Entries
    I run a 3.0 TDI Q7 (2016) and 300bhp petrol Golf R (2015) and both are 35 -42ish mpg across all our driving.

40+ from a 300 horse 4WD hatch is pretty impressive for me, who would opt for petrol??

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

I do this calculation on a daily basis with customers (I sell cars for a living) and there's a rule of thumb that 12k+ a year is the number due to reduced road fund license and diesel now being the same price as petrol virtually, however it depends on type of driving, as some petrols will do strong motorway mpg if you use the cruise control.

You alluded in your comment about higher second hand prices. Strong residual values are what makes a diesel cheaper in the long term, especially on a PCP basis.

I just went from a Lexus hybrid to a BMW diesel, better mpg and the same car tax bracket, from what have read it's only old diesels that might be penalised euro 6 compliant will be fine.

Craftsman
    I hate Diesel engines. Noisy and rough, horrible peaky power delivery, every time you fuel you need gloves or your hands STINK of diesel. Mainly tho, the noise!!!!!!! You can even feel the vibrations and I hate them. Despite the claims they aren't even that economical. I'd rather pay a little bit more each week and have a petrol engines car.

Diesel engines should be reserved to fork lift trucks and ice cream vans.

I have 2 cars at the moment - a 2.4 litre 220bhp diesel Volvo xc60 and a 99bhp 1.0 litre petrol Fiesta. It's pretty obvious the writing is on the wall for Diesel, and the little ecoboost in the fiesta shows how far petrol engines have advanced. I won't be buying another diesel now I know how much pollution they cause.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbarry View Post
    I hate Diesel engines. Noisy and rough, horrible peaky power delivery, every time you fuel you need gloves or your hands STINK of diesel. Mainly tho, the noise!!!!!!! You can even feel the vibrations and I hate them. Despite the claims they aren't even that economical. I'd rather pay a little bit more each week and have a petrol engines car.

I've driven a fair few modern diesels and you'd never know they weren't petrol. I felt the same as you until I drove a few.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Despite the claims they aren't even that economical.
    Utter nonsense. I have a 2.0L 170 BHP Skoda Superb that returns about 44 MPG easily, and returns 60+ on a run. Best I have seen out of it is 74 MPG on a run back from Heathrow. No petrol engined car of that size will come near that.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    My last 5 vehicles have been 3 pointed star and 5L+ types, I see no reason to change that now.

Ou household does 3k and 6k miles respectively however, it would therefore seem rude not to run such vehicles.

Diesels are truly horrid things, for tractors and taxis only.
    How did your new car get delivered? Did they drive it all the way from the factory or would it have been on the back of a diesel powered car transporter.........

Journeyman

If all you are worried about is the smell of diesel on your hands then you've not read the labels on petrol properly. Petrol isn't exactly nice for your skin but, you're right, it doesn't smell as bad.

You make pretty wild claims about the lack of economy, I've ran diesels for years and I simply couldn't afford not to run a diesel with the mileages I do as it would increase my fuel bill by about thousand each year.

I'd be prepared to bet that despite the fact that you "hate" diesels that you'd be a bit hacked off if all your delivery charges were raised massively to remove diesels, pay for their replacement and the increased costs of running petrol delivery vehicles to your house, the supermarket, favorite watch shop.........

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Some don't bother, some charge a little, some charge a lot and some say that they won't insure with modifications.

Unfortunately I have a 25% discount voucher for a Revo remap, but my insurer falls into the "won't insure with modifications" category :-(
    I sit corrected.

Checked with the insurance co (Admiral) and they said extra £24.

Let's crack on...

Banned

Agreed, but to get sort of mpg you need to drive like a nun, and who wants to do that.

Can't abide them.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    Agreed, but to get sort of mpg you need to drive like a nun, and who wants to do that.
    Nuns !
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    If all you are worried about is the smell of diesel on your hands then you've not read the labels on petrol properly. Petrol isn't exactly nice for your skin but, you're right, it doesn't smell as bad.

You make pretty wild claims about the lack of economy, I've ran diesels for years and I simply couldn't afford not to run a diesel with the mileages I do as it would increase my fuel bill by about thousand each year.

I'd be prepared to bet that despite the fact that you "hate" diesels that you'd be a bit hacked off if all your delivery charges were raised massively to remove diesels, pay for their replacement and the increased costs of running petrol delivery vehicles to your house, the supermarket, favorite watch shop.........
    I'm more than happy for others to drive diesels. If it makes my shopping cheaper they can drive unicorn and baby seal powered vans. But me, I like petrol :)

Grand Master
    If they do ban diesels it should hit the used car market hard and be nice to pick up a cheap chugger
    RIAC

Journeyman
    I'm more than happy for others to drive diesels. If it makes my shopping cheaper they can drive unicorn and baby seal powered vans. But me, I like petrol :)
    So your only concern is for yourself, nice to know at this time of year........

Craftsman
    So your only concern is for yourself, nice to know at this time of year........
    You know it baby lmaooooo.
    Seriously tho, joking apart I like the fact we have options. I drive what I like, others drive what they like. Doesn't matter to me if other people like Diesel engines, doing me no harm is it.

I've never been a fan of diesels, never got on with the power delivery and lack of puff at the top end.

Master
    Horses for courses. I have a diesel powered auto BMW and a petrol engined manual box Porsche, I don't use the Porsche for relaxed long distance slogs and I don't use the BMW for B road blasts (well I do but not just this). Both are excellent at what they do, there is still a place for both types of fuel in road cars IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Horses for courses. I have a diesel powered auto BMW and a petrol engined manual box Porsche, I don't use the Porsche for relaxed long distance slogs and I don't use the BMW for B road blasts (well I do but not just this). Both are excellent at what they do, there is still a place for both types of fuel in road cars IMO.
    Likewise.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

doing me no harm is it.
    Well if you're spending a lot of time in built up areas with heavy traffic then yes it is!

Craftsman
    I don't buy into all of this emissions eco trash. It's getting warmer anyway. Happy days.

I don't buy into all of this emissions eco trash. It's getting warmer anyway. Happy days.
    Ah.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    It's Boxing Day. Any one expecting a sensible answer from me will have to wait 24 hours 😂

Journeyman
    You know it baby lmaooooo.
    Seriously tho, joking apart I like the fact we have options. I drive what I like, others drive what they like. Doesn't matter to me if other people like Diesel engines, doing me no harm is it.
    All joking apart, what we need is a mix of technologies. Diesel has its place for lorries and the like and if batteries / hybrids were better and more cost effective I'd have one. Right now for me diesel is the best technology as I cannot afford to run multiple vehicles other than a diesel car and a petrol bike but, the bike isn't suitable for works travelling.

Look on the bright side at least your lungs are helping to filter out my nasty diesel particulates. Thanks for that lol

Craftsman
    All joking apart, what we need is a mix of technologies. Diesel has its place for lorries and the like and if batteries / hybrids were better and more cost effective I'd have one. Right now for me diesel is the best technology as I cannot afford to run multiple vehicles other than a diesel car and a petrol bike but, the bike isn't suitable for works travelling.

Look on the bright side at least your lungs are helping to filter out my nasty diesel particulates. Thanks for that lol
    Lol my pleasure. And yes it has its place in the world. I just don't think it's place it in my engine bay. And imagine a diesel motorcycle. Yawn. I know they exist, but seriously!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    If they do ban diesels it should hit the used car market hard and be nice to pick up a cheap chugger
    If they don't it could affect the desirability of city centre houses and flats.

I'd put my diesel up against any 5lit wind up toy.

Another thumbs up for diesel !

Wifey and I both drive >12,000 miles per year, and I have been on diesel since I left the company car / fuel card scheme in 2001.

Current fleet includes a Merc ML 250, Volvo V70 D5, VW Golf GT TDi and a Mini Cooper D.
    Bought each one at 18-24 months old, and we will keep them until they expire.

Simple maintenance routines - Oil services every 9,000 miles, low road tax and each one offers 40 mpg plus.

No plans here to switch from heavy oil.

Craftsman
    40mpg from a diesel? I get an average of 41.8 in my 3.0 supercharged v6 petrol jag. I've done 96,000 miles in it in 5 years (had it from new and won't be swapping it this year) I do do LOTS of motorway driving at 70mph on cruise tho admittedly, that does help economy I'm sure.

40mpg from a diesel? I get an average of 41.8 in my 3.0 supercharged v6 petrol jag. I've done 96,000 miles in it in 5 years (had it from new and won't be swapping it this year) I do do LOTS of motorway driving at 70mph on cruise tho admittedly, that does help economy I'm sure.
    41.8mpg from a 3.0 v6 petrol? Ok, I can understand on the motorway on cruise control but around town that must drop dramatically...

Craftsman
    I don't drive around town I cycle. If I just pop to the shops and am getting more than I can get in a bag it does mid 20s. That's not bad I'm happy with that.

Master
    My last few cars have been diesel and all pretty good. I would have been happy to stay with them, but given what is coming out as regards pollution/environment I will switch away next time (and I will be pushing out car fleet to do the same, which is a HUGE amount of cars....)