closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New vs old SMPs

New vs old SMPs

I have owned a 2531.80 and 2254.50 in the past and keep thinking about buying another - specifically the full size auto blue bond.

However the price of a mint ten year old watch from a dealer is only a couple of hundred shy of the discounted price of a brand new smpc.

With the dealer prices being so close, are there any compelling reasons - beyond aesthetic preferences - to go with the ten year old wavy-dial non-ceramic model, or am I being stupid thinking about a ten year old watch for a minimal saving?

I own a few older versions, and a couple of more current ones. I like the wavy dials, but I also love the new glossy. I'm not sure what will happen with this line, as all Omega are going full in house 8500 derived movements in auto's and these are still 2500D's. In my opinion there really is nothing to choose between the two movements, as the 8500 has the same updates as the 2500D, but had not quickset date feature.

But looking at old vs current ETA 1120 vs 2500D - I'd take the Co-Axial, some would prefer the more Indy friendly eta.

Id buy based on which dial I preferred - but as I liked them all...
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 26th December 2016 at 23:08. Reason: 1120 typo
    It's just a matter of time...

The new ceramic SMP are really nice and look a lot more 'dressier' than the older versions, I really liked the plain dial and wonderful applied markers and the bracelet is a bit more substantial and the screws much better than the old pins to adjust.

When I got mine I had an old battered 2531 and whilst I kept them both for a couple of months one of them had to go. The 2531 I was just so comfortable but the new model just looked so good so I made my decision and kept the new Ceramic SMP.

However, that's not quite the end of the story...

After a while I actually found I didn't wear the Ceramic SMP as much as my old bond, it just wasn't as comfortable. The bracelet whilst chunkier seemed to have sharper edges and the extra height (only talking a mm or so) just stopped it being one of the most comfortable watches I'd ever owned so I let it go with the idea being to put the money towards a Sub (hulk or ND). However those plans changed in a few mad days earlier this year with a few watches coming and going again very quickly and me eventually ending up with a GS diver. However I found myself still missing the SMP and wanting to add some colour to my couple of black faced watches I set out to get a blue SMP and ended up with a wonderful 2255 which I still have and intend to alway keep.

So to answer your question, the new Ceramic SMP is a lovely watch, still available at a reasonable prices but best to try one as the old models IMO still offer something it doesn't.

2 things concern me with older SMPS, one is the bracelet wear as the pins seem to suffer and become loose, the other thing is bezel damage which is easily done and costly to replace

The SMPC seems to have addressed these issues which is great but I much prefer the old dial and I believe the case is thicker too

I would keep an eye out for a good used example which would probably be around £1k, much further north of this I would be looking at a ceramic

Cracking watches though, tick so many boxes

Last edited by Montybaber; 26th December 2016 at 20:21.

Master
    Unless you like the "vintage" thing, this is an example of a watch where the new version is 100% better than the predecessor in every way.

The new glass like dial is sublime, the applied markers and logo just beautiful - even the writing on the dial is slightly raised and beautifully applied. The date window/wheel is back-coloured (not white) and is framed beautifully.

I hate the seamaster style bracelet, and the pointy long crown (which is why I have flipped two of these and nearly bought a 3rd off SC a few days ago) but that's a personal preference.

The new / latest seamaster is sublimely well made and for the money is just the best in its league - far outstripping the Rolex Sub in all regards except "it's not a Rolex" which sadly counts for so much.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Unless you like the "vintage" thing, this is an example of a watch where the new version is 100% better than the predecessor in every way.

The new glass like dial is sublime, the applied markers and logo just beautiful - even the writing on the dial is slightly raised and beautifully applied. The date window/wheel is back-coloured (not white) and is framed beautifully.

I hate the seamaster style bracelet, and the pointy long crown (which is why I have flipped two of these and nearly bought a 3rd off SC a few days ago) but that's a personal preference.

The new / latest seamaster is sublimely well made and for the money is just the best in its league - far outstripping the Rolex Sub in all regards except "it's not a Rolex" which sadly counts for so much.
    And to offer an alternative view, no it's not. I find the gloss dial is boring vs the wave dial, though that is clearly a matter of taste, and unforgivably the date wheel is black even on the blue model which just looks cheap. In fact I find the the Blake (sword hands) SMPs nicer still but when they killed those and blinged the hell out of the Bond SMP (are ceramic bezels necessary-discuss) they threw the baby out with the bath water IMO. The fact that a good Bond or 2254.50 is £1400-£1600 at a dealers shows that many feel that Omega took a wrong turn and are prepared to back it with cash. Oh and while I don't share the hysteria over the earlier 2500 variants, most gloss dial SMPs will be the C variant which as noted is a thicker movement than the 1120 requiring a thicker case thus compromising the 11mm thickness of the 1120 versions.
    Last edited by Padders; 26th December 2016 at 20:51.

Master
    Thicker = better.

Might as well buy a ladies watch otherwise ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Thicker = better.

Might as well buy a ladies watch otherwise ;-)
    On that note, if you want a thicker watch than the SMP using the 2500 movement with an excellent applied (though matt) dial then I would suggest the 42mm PO 2201.50. Why not leave the SMP be instead of merging it with the PO line? Oh yes, to justify charging more.

Bought this from Scott a few years ago. It's still one of the most versatile watches I own.

I recently had the same dilemma. After having a look at the 2531 I went for the Smpc. The price difference isn't that great and I preferred the more robust bracelet, ceramic bezel and gloss dial - I went for the black face and I'm really happy with it.

Craftsman
    An absolute no brainer from me having owned both I can't even look at the old model in the same light as the quality and finish are simply worlds apart, not to mention it looks so much better.

Just to add I'm not one that jumps on the new models having sold my ceramic Sub in favour of a 14060m...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    And to offer an alternative view, no it's not. I find the gloss dial is boring vs the wave dial, though that is clearly a matter of taste, and unforgivably the date wheel is black even on the blue model which just looks cheap. In fact I find the the Blake (sword hands) SMPs nicer still but when they killed those and blinged the hell out of the Bond SMP (are ceramic bezels necessary-discuss) they threw the baby out with the bath water IMO. The fact that a good Bond or 2254.50 is £1400-£1600 at a dealers shows that many feel that Omega took a wrong turn and are prepared to back it with cash. Oh and while I don't share the hysteria over the earlier 2500 variants, most gloss dial SMPs will be the C variant which as noted is a thicker movement than the 1120 requiring a thicker case thus compromising the 11mm thickness of the 1120 versions.
    Have to agree. I find the new ones dull as ditch water (especially due to ceramic bezel and that awful date wheel). As you say though, it's a matter of taste.

Master
    Must say that I prefer the old wavy dial and aluminium bezel version as I'm not keen on ceramic on watches and the newer Seamaster just looks too blinged up to my conservative eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Must say that I prefer the old wavy dial and aluminium bezel version as I'm not keen on ceramic on watches and the newer Seamaster just looks too blinged up to my conservative eyes.
    That entirely sums up my view...last time I flew wearing my old SMP I stood at the Omega display at the airport and very quickly decided there was nothing there that appealed to me as much as the one on my wrist. I have similar feelings whenever I see a display of new Rolexes.

Are there any genuine omega rubber straps available to fit the new smpc?

Smpc for me, it has a touch more shine about it, both are good. No doubt it will soon be fat & overweight with a new movement in it, like the rest of their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JAM35F View Post
    Are there any genuine omega rubber straps available to fit the new smpc?
    All the previous ones fit perfectly well.

There is no reason to prefer older versions other than the hands. Prefer the sword hands to the stupid skeleton hands.
    Otherwise new ones better in all respects.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    There is no reason to prefer older versions other than the hands. Prefer the sword hands to the stupid skeleton hands.

+1
    Hard to beat a nice 2234/2254/2264...

Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy View Post
    I recently had the same dilemma. After having a look at the 2531 I went for the Smpc. The price difference isn't that great and I preferred the more robust bracelet, ceramic bezel and gloss dial - I went for the black face and I'm really happy with it.
    As I've whinged on here before the worst mistake I made was selling my from new 2531...should have found another way to fund house move and I still regret it all the time. 1st world probs!

Alex recently gave me first dibs on a lovely 2531 here I was in love with for a superb price but not yet filled piggy bank enough.... drat!

I'm looking all the time for when I can buy again but my replacement has to be blue....and I agree the black face ceramic is gorgeous... but I'm not so keen on the plain blue face version.

I agree the date wheel has been made for the black and looks cheap on blue(if not matched it could have been white) and its the wavy dial all the way... Yes bezel easy to ding but the blue anodized reminds me of goodridge hose fittings and prefer that tone too.... (also have 2 black faced watches too and always love blue dials...

So, despite its faults I'm down to as late as possible around 06/07 as I'm not as keen on the more exaggerated bezel of the later ones....
    Last edited by lordloz; 27th December 2016 at 12:54.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I'd add the wavy dials on the older models too - as a fellow GMT owner I hope you'll agree.

Wavy dial 1120 cal SMP best variant yet

Ive the electric dial SMP 2257.80 for me the best model fantastic 1120 cal movement sword hands quite dressy with polished bezel also low height when on wrist superb comfort and now discontinued mines going nowhere!!!

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    That entirely sums up my view...last time I flew wearing my old SMP I stood at the Omega display at the airport and very quickly decided there was nothing there that appealed to me as much as the one on my wrist. I have similar feelings whenever I see a display of new Rolexes.

In reality the old Ti versions are the best - everyone should try one.

Do not forget there is also a halfway house with the 2220.80, bond style SMP and wavy dial, with applied markers, and 2500 coaxial movement.

It is a very fine watch if you like the old SMP style. I suspect it also sits somewhere between the two in terms of pricing

Master
    I rather like the older versions...

Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    Do not forget there is also a halfway house with the 2220.80, bond style SMP and wavy dial, with applied markers, and 2500 coaxial movement.

It is a very fine watch if you like the old SMP style. I suspect it also sits somewhere between the two in terms of pricing
    Maybe at present, but I suspect the 2531's will overtake the newer watches quite easily over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I rather like the older versions...

Two biggest watch flip regrets I have are selling my original Bond smp and the 2254 I replaced it with. 2254 cost me £900 which ten years ago seemed a crazy amount for a watch in my eyes. I was too scared to wear both and they were kept for best. What a waste, my attitude to scratches has changed now and today they'd be daily wearers and enjoyed rather than locked away.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Maybe at present, but I suspect the 2531's will overtake the newer watches quite easily over the next few years.
    Yes I quite agree, I can see the 2531 becoming the classic smp

Have been tempted by a couple of the newer SMPcs on here lately, but I just can't go past the wavy dial..one of the big drawcards for me. I do regret letting my 2531.80 go, but was tempted by something else which I've now moved on. Guess that's the game here :)

Old school style for me.

I've got the Bond and the Black'un

Wavy dial and printed rather than applied indices look so much better IMO.

I liken the differences between old and new as similar to the older Rolex 5513's etc compared to the newer blingy versions.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Black Bond is my favourite, the model prior to the SMPc

Paul