closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sonos vs Bose

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Out of interest - why do you turn off your router?
    Because I don't like leaving electrical equipment on when I'm out of the house, or not using it e.g. Overnight. I mostly worry about it over-heating etc, but also I try to save electricity wherever I can. Never had an issue with internet speed after switching it on...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Because I don't like leaving electrical equipment on when I'm out of the house, or not using it e.g. Overnight. I mostly worry about it over-heating etc, but also I try to save electricity wherever I can. Never had an issue with internet speed after switching it on...
    It shouldn't matter much then, you'll be turning the speaker on when you want to use it so just turn on the router at the same time.

Personally, the big win for me was the Sonus software user interface app things, and their tech support.
    10/10

Master
    Sonos for me, I've got one of each so here's my take

Play 1 - Sound great in a bedroom or office or paired with another play 1 and a sub.
    Play 3 - Not much benefit over play 1 - wouldn't buy one again
    Play 5 - Super sound the new model in particular sounds amazing ( I've got old)
    Playbar - Great addition to the TV but music isn't its strongest feature

Sub - For me this is the best of the lot and in my opinion whilst expensive it is a must to boost your system, use to have this with the playbar but now it's paired with the play 5 and it simply rocks the room. It's in my kitchen /Lounge which is a reasonable size and fills it with immense depth even on low volumes.... it can be a subltle as it is aggressive. You can pair it to anything but it's not the most portable ....it weighs a ton.

Also for stability I would advise the bridge.

Master
    Thanks for all the replies!

So, is the Sonos 1 significantly louder / deeper / better sounding than my little Bose Soundlink Mini? Or will it be largely comparable?

I can't figure out just how much difference there will be.

It seems Sonos is the way to go, by the way, from all your replies so far!

Master
    IMHO the bridge is not needed if you can hard wire one or more devices to your home network, the wireless mesh that the sonos device will them create between themselves is quite stable.

As for sound quality op, why not just order from Amazon and try, it's risk free then.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    IMHO the bridge is not needed if you can hard wire one or more devices to your home network, the wireless mesh that the sonos device will them create between themselves is quite stable.
    This is the sort of thing that slightly concerns me - no part of this sentence makes any sense to me! What on earth is a bridge? Does that come with the speaker or do I need to buy it separately?? And you need to hard wire them into my home wifi?? does that mean at least one speaker has to be cabled to my router??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

As for sound quality op, why not just order from Amazon and try, it's risk free then.
    Don't like to mess sellers around, even big ones like Amazon - if I sent it back they wouldn't be able to sell it as new, which doesn't seem fair just so I can test it. If I decide to buy, it'll be for keeps.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies!

So, is the Sonos 1 significantly louder / deeper / better sounding than my little Bose Soundlink Mini? Or will it be largely comparable?

I can't figure out just how much difference there will be.

It seems Sonos is the way to go, by the way, from all your replies so far!
    The play 1 is better than the soundlink imo but not massively if it's a large room a play 5 or 3 alternitvely 2 play 1s paired up, if I was starting from scratch my main room would be a 5 kitchen/bedrooms etc would be 1s and like spogehead I doubt I'd bother with any 3s I'd rather buy another 5, the 3 though has been perfect for my garage.