closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stilton Cheese

Stilton Cheese

I just don't get it.

How can anyone say it's a nice cheese, it's bloody vile.

Just finished off the CHRISTMAS cropwell bishop.

Bleedin' fantastic stuff.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I love the crust on the outside just when it starts to pong all with a glass of fine Port. One of the great cheeses of the world.

Craftsman
    I have discovered that not all Stiltons are equal! I actually really love it, however, this year my MIL decided she'd buy me one and I'm not sure where she got it (perhaps from a toxic waste disposal site) but it was vile! Tasted like a cross between melted plastic and detergent so went straight into the waste food bin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Just finished off the CHRISTMAS cropwell bishop.

Bleedin' fantastic stuff.

Agreed. It's arguably one of the best cheeses in the world, even some French gastronomes will acknowledge so.

I buy Stilton and leave it in the fridge until it is about 2-3 weeks past its use-by date. When it's about ready to crawl out of the fridge under its own steam it'll be good to eat.

Journeyman
    Agreed. Stilton vary immensely from salt sour dry muck to creamy intensity. For years I couldn't work out why I had a love hate relationship with it. That's before I discovered the importance of finding a good one. Go for quality not quantity. Cropwell Bishop Organic is consistently good. Age plays a part too. Think if it as being a bit like Brie. It's pointless eating it before it starts to soften a bit.

They're not ready to eat until they're proper tangy and crumbly imo. Anyone caught filling one with port should be shot.

Master
    I could eat it like cake. It's delicious.

Master
    If it's called stilton then you're not eating real "stilton" :)

Colton Basset Stilton from Neals Yard dairy. It's the only Stilton I like.

My son is 10 years old and loves his cheeses. He devoured our Christmas wedge of Stilton.

I recently had a beautiful blue with pear tart tatin and a glass of local cider, stunning that was.

Took me a while to get it,but when you do,and as others have said,get a good one and it has such depth of flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I buy Stilton and leave it in the fridge until it is about 2-3 weeks past its use-by date. When it's about ready to crawl out of the fridge under its own steam it'll be good to eat.
    ^^This^^

You can then basically pour it on crackers with a glass of your favourite wine.Simply delicious.

Craftsman
    We had some nice sweet apples and some Stilton from Paxton and Whitfield for Christmas. Delicious.

It's got to be Colston Bassett, not too strong with a creamy texture.

Just started my last piece..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benwoodroffe
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    leave it in the fridge until it is about 2-3 weeks past its use-by date.
    What happens? Does the flavour intensify or do you just like your cheese funky ?

Craftsman
    I do like cheese. All cheese. It's my guilty pleasure because I try to eat low fat and healthy food. And Stilton is the best of them all.

A jar of Cropwell spread generously on crackers with a handful of grapes.....you cannot lose!!
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 1st January 2017 at 22:57.

At its best, fan-blasted-tastic.
    At its worst, horrid.

If it's creamy with just enough bite I love it on a sandwich with thinly sliced apple. People who like pears (aka deviants) tell me that that's quite nice too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    A jar of Cropwell spread generously on crackers with a handful of grapes.....you cannot lose!!
    Agreed although they must be chilled. Just finished some oatcakes with Crowdie & Black Pepper and the grapes just refresh the flavour every time.

Doesn't what you lot say, blue cheeses are evil.

Used to hate it, love it now. Nice bit of damsen cheese jelly spread on water biscuits, stilton liberally crumbled on top, lovely.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I love it. But then again blue cheeses are heaven for me.

The sockier the better.

Important to avoid stilton that has been shrink wrapped. If you can find a deli (or better still a proper cheesemongers) that sells off the truckle, the taste is beyond compare.

Also worth seeking out stichelton - the "original" stiton that apparently theyre not allowed to call stilton - uses unpasteurised milk

http://www.stichelton.co.uk/background.html

I'm new to cheese, only really started eating it this year but Christmas has been my year of cheese I have so much that people bought me it's crazy. My wife bought a selection from www.cheesesociety.co.uk and it's been nice to try them.

I had a Stilton a few months back and I just couldn't get past the smell/taste all I could think of was the elephant house at my local zoo. What is it that reminds me of damp straw?

Really enjoying the smoked variety of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    Also worth seeking out stichelton - the "original" stiton that apparently theyre not allowed to call stilton - uses unpasteurised milk

Indeed - Stichelton is what I normally go for. Unfortunately I couldn't get any in Dublin before Christmas so we had to do with a lump of Cashel Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    Important to avoid stilton that has been shrink wrapped. If you can find a deli (or better still a proper cheesemongers) that sells off the truckle, the taste is beyond compare.

Everyday is a school day, a mate of mine lives in Worksop, great excuse for a gtg.

Master
    One of the very few things that will make me instantly throw up! I get that the acquired tastes are the best etc but honestly, it just tastes like a bag of bum holes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    I just don't get it.

How can anyone say it's a nice cheese, it's bloody vile.
    Parmesan always smells like vomit to me, but presumably not to others or they wouldn't eat it. Would they?

Anyway, i like a nice bit of Stilton or most other cheeses, but Parmesan isn't for me.

I didn't always like stilton (or the idea, probably), but now I'm rarely without some.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 2nd January 2017 at 13:14.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Banned
    I like stilton.

Anyone tried this...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

Blog Entries
    Sorry pal not with you on this one.

This morning I even grilled a mix of Stilton and Shropshire Blue on toast. If you had wandered down the lane you would have likely had the wiff out of the extractor. Lovely 🤗

Craftsman
    I do like a good stilton but a favourite is to melt stilton over avocado on toast - heavenly!

had a Stichelton v Colston Bassett clash of the titans on Christmas Day at the in-laws. Stichelton was the unanimous winner.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I love cheese.....pretty much all of it. I must have eaten the weight of a small child in cheese over Christmas including some nice Stilton.

The only exceptions are goats cheese (but only because it doesn't like me,much as I like it) and cheese with 'things' in it. I cannot be doing with cheese with fruit/nuts/marmite etc added to it.

Journeyman
    Especially as a sauce for some type of noodles/spaghetti or macaroni it is sublime. How dare you say it is vile?! You must eat it piecemeal.

Quote Originally Posted by gunman View Post
    I have discovered that not all Stiltons are equal! I actually really love it, however, this year my MIL decided she'd buy me one and I'm not sure where she got it (perhaps from a toxic waste disposal site) but it was vile! Tasted like a cross between melted plastic and detergent so went straight into the waste food bin!
    So true!
    The missus got some from M&S this Christmas and it was awful, dry and lacking in flavour - apparently this can be a result of freezing.
    I don't recall what the label was because it was chucked out very quickly, but it wasn't from a source I recognised.
    Fortunately we had some Saint Agur to fall back on :)

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    The only exceptions are goats cheese (but only because it doesn't like me,much as I like it) and cheese with 'things' in it. I cannot be doing with cheese with fruit/nuts/marmite etc added to it.
    I'm with you on that; just because you can doesn't mean that you should. Where do you stand on Windsor Red?

I like a lot of strong cheeses including Stilton but I'm no connoisseur.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I'm with you on that; just because you can doesn't mean that you should. Where do you stand on Windsor Red?
    Sorry CB,I'm afraid that it comes within my 'don't add stuff to cheese' rule. If I want a glass of red,or a drop of port,with a nice cheddar,then it should come in a glass.

Perl Las is well worth trying if you can find it. Welsh blue that's strong and creamy. Replaced Stilton / Stitchelton this Christmas on my board (which also included a Brillat-Saverin, truffled brie, Westcombe Cheddar, Sakura No-Ha sheeps' milk cheese and 30m Comte).

This thread has just reminded me of the manky Camembert I have festering/stinking out the garage (missus won't have it in the house)....... if I can throw this cold and taste something again it will get eaten!

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    This thread has just reminded me of the manky Camembert I have festering/stinking out the garage (missus won't have it in the house)....... if I can throw this cold and taste something again it will get eaten!
    Preferably before it eats you, or a household pet.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.