closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bulova Moonwatch on Amazon

Journeyman

Bulova Moonwatch on Amazon

I don't know what the stock level is like, but they are up on Amazon for £276 right now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BWO0NG8/

These tend to be desirable here, last couple on the SC went very fast for more. Can't justify it myself right now, Christmas drained the funds, but I thought someone here could take advantage.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Pretty good. The strap version was £275 on Black Friday deal

Master
    I had one of these before but sold it when I needed to free up some cash. Luckily now I'm a bit better off and just placed an order for one. Supposed to get here tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up

Master
    I scooped one up from the Canadian site on Boxing Day for $449 which is $300 less than RRP. It is on my wrist right now and I'm very happy with it

I ordered one and sent it back, felt it was too big and I have reasonable 7.25" wrists but prefer up to 42mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slightly cheaper now too, £271.45 from Amazon themselves not a 3rd party seller.

Master
    I fancy one of these but am a bit worried about the 45mm size. Suppose i can always just send it back if it's massive.

Thanks for posting the deal.

It is large but I felt the lugs are quite short and curved so was OK on my slim wrist. It was for my son who is the same size as me and he is quite happy with it.

Still on Bulova but I ordered the Military for £95. My Moonwatch is only a second out since I bought it a few months ago and that is because of the time change at new year. Amazing watches for the money.

Master
    I do like mine (on the bracelet) but I'm unable to remove it (the bracelet) just to try somthing else
    I've been using a couple Spring bar tools but with no joy

I don't need another watch...

M

Mmmm, sticky toffee pudding ale, lovely stuff(although not up there with their bananabread beer).

Fantastic watch for little money, at this price its surely a no brainer for anyone on the fence?

Bargain of the year so far.

Soundood was looking for one of these in the black Friday deals but missed out. My phone won't let me msg him, can someone give him a shout and let him know?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I picked a strap version for £275 on black Friday. It is a an absolute bargain at that price.
    History, presence, fascinating dial construction and a modern/vintage feel that's hard to quantify but easy to live with.

The position of the lug holes on the strap version make it much more versatile than the bracelet version.

My advice to those that are dithering is don't. It's going to be a classic.

Master
    Order placed. Took the opportunity to sing up for my free month of Prime so I get it tomorrow and i can start watching the Grand Tour tonight since the boss is out. Also had a wee one off staff discount code to use so got another 10% off.

Master
    If 42mm I'd be on this like a tramp on chips. One day they'll make watches for skinny wrists again.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    I picked a strap version for £275 on black Friday. It is a an absolute bargain at that price.
    History, presence, fascinating dial construction and a modern/vintage feel that's hard to quantify but easy to live with.

The position of the lug holes on the strap version make it much more versatile than the bracelet version.

My advice to those that are dithering is don't. It's going to be a classic.
    I bought the bracelet version on Black Friday for £299. Unfortunately I couldn't get the bracelet to fit. It was either too tight or too loose. I'm tempted to go for the strap version now though

Master
    It seems a strange decision to have the lug holes different on the strap and bracelet version. I normally go for bracelet versions of watches as its much easier to source a strap but with this one i've read that the hole position on the bracelet version is close to the watch it's difficult to fit any other type of strap.

Master
    They don't appear to be 'that' close

Master
    Blog Entries
    I couldn't get mine off either. I didn't try that hard though

Do I need it? Absolutely not.

Did I buy it? Of course.

Such is the way...

I really like these. Just not keen on quartz. Forgive my laziness/ ignorance is there an auto version at all?

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    I really like these. Just not keen on quartz. Forgive my laziness/ ignorance is there an auto version at all?
    Given its origin it's hard to see how anything other than quartz would do in this one.
    However the new high rate Bulova quartz is a very different beast. All the advantages of quartz and in use as smooth as an automatic.
    Last edited by raysablade; 6th January 2017 at 14:10.

The new high rate Bulova quartz is a very different beast. All the advantages of quartz and in use as smooth as an automatic.
    Thanks for that, did some browsing whilst at work, & that sounds interesting. Tempt now!

Master
    Thanks for that, did some browsing whilst at work, & that sounds interesting. Tempt now!
    Now how local re you to me?

A quick question for the bracelet owners of this watch... did it also come with the velcro strap?.. or is that only available with the leather strapped one?

Craftsman
    Wonder why it is on such a downhill slide pricewise. Checking on CamelCamel it appears that the price is dropping daily. Cheapest it has ever been but could it go lower? Bizarre. Gonna snatch one now though, just in case.
    Thanks for the heads up OP.

Master
    The bracelet version only comes with the bracelet.

The leather strap version comes with the mock NASA velcro strap with the mission date on it, the spring bar tool and the wee apollo 15 booklet (the bracelet version might also get the booklet).

When first released the rumour was that Bulova were only going to release 1500 of the ones with the extra strap. I believe Bulova officially said it would be a limited run but the watch wouldn't be a limited edition. Yeah, I have no idea what that means either and I suspect they are over 1500 with that strap version now.

Master
    The bracelet version does come with a booklet

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    The bracelet version only comes with the bracelet.

The leather strap version comes with the mock NASA velcro strap with the mission date on it, the spring bar tool and the wee apollo 15 booklet (the bracelet version might also get the booklet).

When first released the rumour was that Bulova were only going to release 1500 of the ones with the extra strap. I believe Bulova officially said it would be a limited run but the watch wouldn't be a limited edition. Yeah, I have no idea what that means either and I suspect they are over 1500 with that strap version now.
    Cheers - thanks for clarifying that. Stupid I know.. but being born in 1971... I'm teetering on the edge of a 1 click buy!

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Now how local re you to me?
    Hi Lewie,

I'm based in Tunbridge Wells.

Master
    Hi Lewie,

I'm based in Tunbridge Wells.
    Bit too far - I'm on the coast in Folkestone

Given its origin it's hard to see how anything other than quartz would do in this one.
    Was the original quartz then? I'd assumed it was hand wound like the speedy. A quick google search didn't turn up anything on what type of movement the original one used.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Was the original quartz then? I'd assumed it was hand wound like the speedy. A quick google search didn't turn up anything on what type of movement the original one used.
    yes it was quartz

The Bulova 88510/01 that Dave Scott wore on the lunar surface was most certainly not quartz.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    The Bulova 88510/01 that Dave Scott wore on the lunar surface was most certainly not quartz.
    would be interesting to get a definitive answer.

The booklet with the moon watch states that "the tuning fork movement was used in all instrument panel clocks and timekeeping mechanisms on 46 NASA missions."

Plus he wore it in 1971 and "the Auccutron was Bulovas 1st electronic watch introduced around 1960 and was a ground breaking high performance quartz movement" - more quotes from the booklet.
    Last edited by adesmith; 6th January 2017 at 17:06.

http://www.fratellowatches.com/frate...ut-dave-scott/

Pretty sure it's NOT a quartz.

The odd thing is that I can't (and nor can many others, judging from searches) find any other references to a Bulova 88510... or anything that LOOKS like the watch he wore, in period.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 6th January 2017 at 17:16.

Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    would be interesting to get a definitive answer.

The booklet with the moon watch states that "the tuning fork movement was used in all instrument panel clocks and timekeeping mechanisms on 46 NASA missions."

Plus he wore it in 1971 and "the Auccutron was Bulovas 1st electronic watch introduced around 1960 and was a ground breaking high performance quartz movement" - more quotes from the booklet.
    I was skim reading.. but there's no mention of the movement at all in the auction brochure: https://issuu.com/rrauction/docs/463-bulova

It's a lovely watch but I felt it was a little too big for my wrists so sent it back :(

Thanks for posting about it though, I wouldnt have known about the price otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by AsifG View Post
    It's a lovely watch but I felt it was a little too big for my wrists so sent it back :(

Thanks for posting about it though, I wouldnt have known about the price otherwise
    This suggests it was a prototype, possibly made for the same NASA trial (or a possible later one) that the Speedmaster won.

http://nypost.com/2015/11/05/this-1-...t-to-the-moon/

So, we can assume that the original WASN'T Quartz (or probably tuning fork, although that's not impossible if it was made for a later retrial that didn't happen) and that the current watch is a homage (much the same as the Snorkel II is to the original Deep Sea tuning fork watches).

In that light, the decline in price, currently, isn't as surprising as some seem to think.

It's a nice watch for the money, though, regardless of its backstory, which is certainly not as robust as the Omega's.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    This suggests it was a prototype, possibly made for the same NASA trial (or a possible later one) that the Speedmaster won.

http://nypost.com/2015/11/05/this-1-...t-to-the-moon/

So, we can assume that the original WASN'T Quartz (or probably tuning fork, although that's not impossible if it was made for a later retrial that didn't happen) and that the current watch is a homage (much the same as the Snorkel II is to the original Deep Sea tuning fork watches).

In that light, the decline in price, currently, isn't as surprising as some seem to think.

It's a nice watch for the money, though, regardless of its backstory, which is certainly not as robust as the Omega's.

M.
    if the instruments were quartz and they had tuning fork watches out, why wouldn't the original be a tuning fork as well?

if the instruments were quartz and they had tuning fork watches out, why wouldn't the original be a tuning fork as well?
    It could be, but my thinking was that if it was designed to the same spec as the Speedmaster it would HAVE to be a handwound mechanical.

Facts seem thin on the ground!

M.

PS Didn't someone say the timing for the instruments was 'tuning fork', rather than quartz?
    Last edited by snowman; 6th January 2017 at 18:04.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    It could be, but my thinking was that if it was designed to the same spec as the Speedmaster it would HAVE to be a handwound mechanical.

Facts seem thin on the ground!

M.

PS Didn't someone say the timing for the instruments was 'tuning fork', rather than quartz?
    Its got "I believe" on the end.. so is just hearsay.. but: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/any-...l#post36683138

The Bulova timers built into the spacecraft and payloads (not wristwatches) were all Accutron-based. However, the personal wristwatch that Dave Scott wore on Apollo 15 (the one this replica is based on) was a Valjoux 7733 (I believe) chronograph cased by Bulova. It was a prototype that never was actually released by Bulova....

Bulova owned Universal Genève at the time, and had a line under that brand named "Space Compax" with reference number 885104/01 and a Valjoux 72 mechanical movement.

Dave Scott's unique Bulova has reference number 885104/01 (source: RR Auction Catalogue).

It seems apparent that Bulova based the Apollo 15 prototype on a UG "Space Compax" with Bulova dial (taking some obvious design cues from the Omega Speedmaster) and modified case and side pushers. The Valjoux 72 supports this layout and type of sub-dial:

I don't think that there were any Bulova quartz movements of the era with this particular chronograph layout. References to the quartz movements used by NASA are smoke and mirrors to make the 'reissue' of the wristwatch appear more authentic.

So was Scott's the only moon watch made or did they sell them to the public as a tuning fork movement back in the 70's?

So was Scott's the only moon watch made or did they sell them to the public as a tuning fork movement back in the 70's?
    It was a one off. For a long time Scott mistakenly identified the watch that he had worn on the moon as a Waltham.

The 214HN tuning fork Accutron Astronaut watch was commercially available, and officially issued to all pilots of the USAF X-15 experimental rocket-powered aircraft program. It developed a loyal following amongst astronauts and made many voyages into space as did the numerous Accutron panel mounted instrument timers and clocks.

I thought the one off Bulova moonwatch was an Accutron with a Dubois Depraz chronograph module, much like the Omega f300 Speedsonic. Admittedly my Speedsonic has a different layout and I don't know a lot about Dubois Depraz, but I believe they make a number of different modules with different layouts. Seems odd that Bulova would make a moonwatch and not use a tuning fork movement, given its apparent popularity with the astronauts at the time and the fact that DD modules would have been as readily available to them as to Omega, off the shelf.

It's hard to tell, but from this side view, it does look as though the pushers are out of line with the crown, which suggests the use of an add-on chrono module rather than an integrated chrono such as the Valjoux 72:

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...D2CA69C48F6550

That said, the offset is far more pronounced on my Speedsonic, but that might just be because it has a relatively small crown and round pushers. I believe the Bulova also has quite a large case (45mm or so), so the offset might actually be larger than it looks from this angle.

Master
    If these are proving difficult to sell then hopefully they'll reflect on making it too big! If only they'd checked with the forum first....

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    I thought the one off Bulova moonwatch was an Accutron with a Dubois Depraz chronograph module, much like the Omega f300 Speedsonic. Admittedly my Speedsonic has a different layout and I don't know a lot about Dubois Depraz, but I believe they make a number of different modules with different layouts. Seems odd that Bulova would make a moonwatch and not use a tuning fork movement, given its apparent popularity with the astronauts at the time and the fact that DD modules would have been as readily available to them as to Omega, off the shelf.

It's hard to tell, but from this side view, it does look as though the pushers are out of line with the crown, which suggests the use of an add-on chrono module rather than an integrated chrono such as the Valjoux 72:

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...D2CA69C48F6550

That said, the offset is far more pronounced on my Speedsonic, but that might just be because it has a relatively small crown and round pushers. I believe the Bulova also has quite a large case (45mm or so), so the offset might actually be larger than it looks from this angle.

Dave Scott's watch has been fairly widely discussed and documented, and an almost identical V72 Universal Genève prototype was auctioned in 1994.

http://wornandwound.com/bulova-used-...get-one-today/

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...peedy-however-

https://omegaforums.net/attachments/...55-png.161534/

There's a little review up on WUS with a pic of Scott's original watch: http://www.watchuseek.com/review-bulova-moon-watch/