closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Made-to-measure strap for dress watch?

Master

Made-to-measure strap for dress watch?

A friend ... no, really, a friend ... has bought a Cartier 'Drive' (below). It's a lovely watch ... well, I would say that, because I told him to buy it ... but his wrist is so thin that he's had to butcher the strap.

Now, I will admit that I didn't anticipate this, so now I'm trying to find a good strap-maker who can make a replacement to measure, but Cartier quality for less-than-Cartier money.

Recommendations, please?

Who are the OEM for Cartier?
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    "Made to measure" is really unnecessary. Unless his wrist is under 6 inches (15.25cm) a standard dimension "Short" strap should be fine. I've found Hirsch to be good value for money.

Picture of the butchered strap for laughs and gags please

I made a strap at Jean Rousseau, Burlington Arcade. Costs £140 IIRC for an ostrich strap

http://www.jean-rousseau.com/en/esho...celet-chic-1/3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    A friend ... no, really, a friend ... has bought a Cartier 'Drive' (below). It's a lovely watch ... well, I would say that, because I told him to buy it ... but his wrist is so thin that he's had to butcher the strap.

Now, I will admit that I didn't anticipate this, so now I'm trying to find a good strap-maker who can make a replacement to measure, but Cartier quality for less-than-Cartier money.

Recommendations, please?

Never been a Cartier watch fan but I have to say this 'Drive' looks stunning!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan95 View Post
    Picture of the butchered strap for laughs and gags please

I made a strap at Jean Rousseau, Burlington Arcade. Costs £140 IIRC for an ostrich strap

http://www.jean-rousseau.com/en/esho...celet-chic-1/3
    I've had stuff made by them too and thought they were very good. There's also ABP in Paris. Pretty sure a quick search on the forum may turn up other names as well

Just to note - they're in the Picadillly Arcade which is south of Burlington Arcade

Has he had a quote for a Cartier replacement; I seem to remember somebody on here being surprised by the lower-than-expected price for OEM but it was doubtless a couple of years ago and the pound has dived since. Otherwise I've had very good experiences with Peter Watch Acc in Bangkok for bespoke. If he's in London he should pop in to Jean Rousseau but, when walking past them last week, I was disappointed that they didn't seem to have a sale on. If you want alligator they seem to charge £205 and they do a readymade women's length which is perhaps what is required; no need for bespoke.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Never been a Cartier watch fan but I have to say this 'Drive' looks stunning!
    It is. It's 'new Cartier'. Not just a new design, but higher-end manufacture and an in-house movement.

Mind you, it is five grand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    It is. It's 'new Cartier'. Not just a new design, but higher-end manufacture and an in-house movement.

Mind you, it is five grand.
    Indeed it is but a grand cheaper 'New on the grey'

Master
    Lovely watch!

In addition to the suggestions above, it might also be worth having a look at Camille Fournet. I have purchased a couple of straps from them and have been very happy with the end product. Not inexpensive but first class quality and service.