closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Airport security (warning, this post contains images that some may find upsetting(!))

Craftsman

Airport security (warning, this post contains images that some may find upsetting(!))

This happened a couple of years ago, but a conversation in the office just reminded me about it and I thought I would share in case it helps someone avoid a similar issue.

My husband and I were travelling through a generic London airport a few years ago. In the normal way, at security, when asked, we removed watches / jewellery etc. At the time my husband was wearing his late father's GMT - a watch that has a huge amount of sentimental value to him. When he took the watch off he carefully placed it on top of his jumper in the tray.

On the other side of the x ray machines, our trays appeared and my husband picked up his bag and jumper....then heard a smash. This was what he picked up off the floor:

(Apologies for the blurry photo - my hands were shaking at the time!)

The watch had been moved by the security staff from its position on top of the jumper and had been tucked inside it. As a result my husband did not see it until it was too late.

At this point I went into full lawyer mode, complained heavily, took a statement and obtained a full admission of liability from the airport. The security team could not explain why they moved the watch. The watch then had to spend a week being carefully carried upside down to ensure that the shards of glass did not do too much damage to the dial.

The happy ending is that the airport paid for a full service and repair with Rolex so the watch was back in one piece before too long.

I have no idea whether it is common practice for watches / jewellery to be moved by security staff at airports, but it may be something to look out for.

That's an upsetting picture indeed!! I think we'll be needing an "after" shot - just to restore the nerves!

Craftsman
    I recently went through Manc airport and was told I could leave my watch on, so either this has happened so many times the cost incurred has brought on a change of policy or this security fella just saw/appreciated my watch and was kind/thoughtful enough to let me leave it on.

...funny how the metal detector didn't set off when I walked through with it on???

Ouch! As a frequent traveller, airport security is the bane of my life - I posted a thread on the subject myself a few months ago. I'd be curious to know at which of the London airports this happened.

I now travel with a clamshell-style watch case in my briefcase and put my watch in it, and then back in my briefcase, before going through security. The case was £15 I think, sourced on Amazon. Money well spent.

Craftsman
    OUCH!! I'm amazed the airport coughed up, good result.

I'm rarely asked to remove my watch when going through airport security, I usually just walk through with it on even if they do ask, never set the alarm off yet.

The taking the watch of seems very random to me - have been asked a couple of times .
    Recently did 4 flights ( 2 journeys with connection) .
    Didn't take my watch off once - kept my shoes on 1/4 but bags were searched 3/4 times.
    I much prefer to keep my watch on - even if it shows up in the body scanner it is pretty obvious what it is .

Master
    I always take off my watch but I either put it inside my bag or in my jacket's pocket.
    This way I don't have any fear of it dropping or most importantly if the tray makes it at the end before me I don't have Althea anxiety that an eagled eyed not extremely honest fellow traveller might nick it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put my watch in an empty pocket in my jacket, discreetly, just before removing said jacket to put it in the tray

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I put my watch in an empty pocket in my jacket, discreetly, just before removing said jacket to put it in the tray
    same here but in the past I have also had watches moved to a "safer" location in the tray by security - it was a genuine attempt to help but could have had similar consequences to the OP. That said I decided a while ago that expensive watches didnt like flying so usually I travel with a Seiko 7548 these days
    Keith

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    OUCH!! I'm amazed the airport coughed up, good result.
    You're not the only one.

Master
    I make sure I'm devoid of metal and just wear my watch (either an AP ROO with bracelet or a 116610) through - yet to encounter a scanner that doesn't agree with it.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    I find the best thing to do is wear a breitling aerospace for two reasons.
    1. It doesn't set off the metal detector, with it being titanium.
    2. They assume you're a pilot too. The only problem is you may find yourself shuffled to the jump-seat on a Dreamliner!

Master
    I tend to wear a beater when flying for this very reason.

I'm sure I miss out on the odd flight upgrade every now and again, but I will cope.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    I tend to wear a beater when flying for this very reason.

I'm sure I miss out on the odd flight upgrade every now and again, but I will cope.
    Exactly right. Precious stay in their Peli until arrival at destination.

I tend to wear either a G-Shock when travelling or take off my watch and put it in my jacket or bag.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I find the best thing to do is wear a breitling aerospace for two reasons.
    1. It doesn't set off the metal detector, with it being titanium.
    2. They assume you're a pilot too. The only problem is you may find yourself shuffled to the jump-seat on a Dreamliner!
    A pilot you say. Hmmm. Going to NYC next month. Do you think if I wear my B1 on my other wrist they would let me fly the thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    I always take off my watch but I either put it inside my bag or in my jacket's pocket.
    This way I don't have any fear of it dropping or most importantly if the tray makes it at the end before me I don't have Althea anxiety that an eagled eyed not extremely honest fellow traveller might nick it...

Its not just your fellow travellers, SWMBO narrowly avoided having her watch pilfered by the security staff - at Barcelona airport.

Mine goes into an inner zipped pocket of my carry on bag and I watch it's progress through the scanner like a hawk.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by trainspanner View Post
    I recently went through Manc airport and was told I could leave my watch on, so either this has happened so many times the cost incurred has brought on a change of policy or this security fella just saw/appreciated my watch and was kind/thoughtful enough to let me leave it on.

...funny how the metal detector didn't set off when I walked through with it on???
    many of the arches only beep when a large amount of metal is detected, but still alert by a flashing LED on the 'other side' of the arch in the relevant area (i.e. By your left wrist, the guard will observe this and act accordingly.

If you ever been through an airport security before, you know exactly what to expect. Just put your watch somewhere safe, and the whole process will be a breeze, for you and for your fellow human beings who are entasked with your security.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Exactly right. Precious stay in their Peli until arrival at destination.
    We are in complete agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Ouch! As a frequent traveller, airport security is the bane of my life - I posted a thread on the subject myself a few months ago. I'd be curious to know at which of the London airports this happened.

I now travel with a clamshell-style watch case in my briefcase and put my watch in it, and then back in my briefcase, before going through security. The case was £15 I think, sourced on Amazon. Money well spent.
    I do the same; load my carry on with a Bremont brand watch roll containing any watches or jewellery I plan to take and pop my watch I'm wearing that day in it after I park the car. It goes back on my wrist after I pass through.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    If you ever been through an airport security before, you know exactly what to expect. Just put your watch somewhere safe, and the whole process will be a breeze, for you and for your fellow human beings who are entasked with your security.
    I thought this was common sense? I'm surprised the airport didn't tell the OP to do one.

Blog Entries
    I simply decline to take it off and nobody has argued back...

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I find the best thing to do is wear a breitling aerospace...
    1. It doesn't set off the metal detector, with it being titanium
    Didn't realise the whole thing was titanium - presumably the detector wouldn't pick up traces of other metals in the movement even if there were any.

That would of ruined my holiday, to be fair to the airport they did a grand job.

Craftsman
    You don't need to take off your watch for airport security.
    But when you walk through the metal detectors you should clasp your hands in front of you. You won't set off the detectors this way.

The problem is your watch passes so close to the sensors because of your arms being by your side. I was advised about the method I use after a quiet word with one of the security guys at East Midlands Airport.

Master
    I can't find it via a quick search, but I could have sworn I remember a horror story on here a while back from someone who put his Nautilus in his shoes, only to see it flying through the air the other side of the scanner as one of the security guys vigorously relocated his shoes from one tray to another.

Journeyman
    The settings on the scanners can be adjusted to detect very very low levels of metals including implants etc but are generally set at a moderate level to not detect small amounts such as underwires in bras etc or they would go off every few minutes. It also depends on the watch a large steel watch like a diver is more likely to set one off than a titanium watch, also the metal density effects the scanner, gold etc. I saw a guy suggest that his insurers said he can't remove the watch to which the security replied that their insurers say he can't fly, he removed his watch.

Having flown a lot these guys are doing a difficult job and protecting us all. They can also spoil your day in some special ways, take the guys who was drunk and obstructive at 0600 not complying with security requests. His day was spoiled by 0700.

Yes there are opportunists everywhere, personally leave the valuables at home as they are also more difficult secure in your hotel/apartment on holiday and you will drop your guard more on holiday than in general. Be vigilant and keep your eye on everything going in and out of the security screening area as the very thought that it is high security makes people less diligent.

Be safe and use common sense.

To the OP accidents do happen and it was good of the airport to resolve the matter. They are insured as well.

Craftsman
    Im surprised to some extent the airport paid up though really did they have a leg to stand on?

Unfortunately for me i go the whole shebang at airport security having tanned skin and looking like a turkish bloke haha
    I know its their job to do it so make my life easier by pretty much conducting my own strip search! Haha i remove everything prior that can go off and put it in my jacket pocket. 😊

One time as i was putting my watch back on the security bloke even called me over to listen to it ticking! Dont ask why...

The only problem i have is especially US customs with a guilty until proven innocent policy and even unbuttoning their small arms holsters! Haha talk about OTT!
    Off topic anyway

Glad all was sorted out for you guys!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    I thought this was common sense? I'm surprised the airport didn't tell the OP to do one.
    Me too. Surely no one puts a valuable watch on top of their clothing, in full view of the general public?

I wouldn't be surprised if they have a disclaimer somewhere that says look after your valuables, don't let them out of your sight and we aren't responsible for loss or damage etc

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    The settings on the scanners can be adjusted to detect very very low levels of metals including implants etc but are generally set at a moderate level to not detect small amounts such as underwires in bras etc or they would go off every few minutes. It also depends on the watch a large steel watch like a diver is more likely to set one off than a titanium watch, also the metal density effects the scanner, gold etc. I saw a guy suggest that his insurers said he can't remove the watch to which the security replied that their insurers say he can't fly, he removed his watch.

Having flown a lot these guys are doing a difficult job and protecting us all. They can also spoil your day in some special ways, take the guys who was drunk and obstructive at 0600 not complying with security requests. His day was spoiled by 0700.

Yes there are opportunists everywhere, personally leave the valuables at home as they are also more difficult secure in your hotel/apartment on holiday and you will drop your guard more on holiday than in general. Be vigilant and keep your eye on everything going in and out of the security screening area as the very thought that it is high security makes people less diligent.

Be safe and use common sense.

To the OP accidents do happen and it was good of the airport to resolve the matter. They are insured as well.
    Well done. That gets my "sanctimonious post of the week" award.

Journeyman
    Well done. That gets my "sanctimonious post of the week" award.
    Sorry, wasn't meant to be at all, simply not in my nature.

Personally, I either keep it on or place it inside my cabin luggage in a zip up pocket. Never had an issue for years.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Sorry, wasn't meant to be at all, simply not in my nature.
    Do they do a "difficult" job? It's essentially unskilled and I would guess minimum wage level, so unlikely to demand much in the way of technical skills or training.

Is it a necessary job? Of course, although any suggestion that airport security pays much more than lip service to public safety is probably a bit naive.

Of course the travelling public should not make their job more difficult. But without the travelling public their job wouldn't exist- a point they ought to remember if ever tempted to try to apply their own interpretation of rules and guidelines in any way antagonistic to the public they are paid to serve.

Journeyman
    Horrible! Was he not allowed to keep it on, it's not that chunky. I would understand a Royal Oak coming off!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post

Good points sir. I'll bear this in mind for my next trip.

My watch goes in my jacket pocket or in my laptop bag - before security

Security staff just don't think things through, and then get sh1tty when you dig your heels in.

"Remove your laptop from your bag, please sir" when you are standing in line - not at the desk yet.

"I'll take it out when I'm at the desk, rather than fumble with it here."

Or when I am placing it in the tray, and the official - starts to take it from me.....

"What are you doing? I'm capable of placing it in the tray, without you handling it, with the possibility of fumbling!"

Or the female security who tried to scam a bottle of perfume from a "slightly slow" tourist, who didn't have the perfume in a plastic bag.........

Grrrrrrrr!

A

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Me too. Surely no one puts a valuable watch on top of their clothing, in full view of the general public?

I wouldn't be surprised if they have a disclaimer somewhere that says look after your valuables, don't let them out of your sight and we aren't responsible for loss or damage etc
    No way in hell would I do that, it is just begging for trouble!

Journeyman
    Do they do a "difficult" job? It's essentially unskilled and I would guess minimum wage level, so unlikely to demand much in the way of technical skills or training.

Is it a necessary job? Of course, although any suggestion that airport security pays much more than lip service to public safety is probably a bit naive.

Of course the travelling public should not make their job more difficult. But without the travelling public their job wouldn't exist- a point they ought to remember if ever tempted to try to apply their own interpretation of rules and guidelines in any way antagonistic to the public they are paid to serve.
    Really? I think your best line is "public they are paid to serve".

Is it a requirement to take it off? I genuinely don't know. I keep mine on and no one has ever said anything that I can recall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Just buy an Oakley watch vault case or similar. Put your watch inside before you reach security and place it inside a bag or inside jacket pocket. No point wearing it and then potentially locking horns with the security staff if you're told to remove it. Flying is stressful enough.

Really? I think your best line is "public they are paid to serve".
    Thank you for the compliment. I thought your best line was "underwires in bras".

I fly a lot. I simply put all valuables (watch,wallet etc.) in a closed (zipped or buttoned) inner pocket on my jacket, which then goes through the x-ray machine.

Master
    I am surprised they entertained your complaint. Sounds like a pretty silly place to put it really, their job is to inspect stuff and you should reasonably expect that things may be displaced if this is they do look at it closely. I would have shrugged and told you to stow it more safely next time.

I've never taken off my watch, nor have been asked to. It has never set off an alarm. My wallet seems to do that a lot?? If asked too remove it I would put it thro' as a single item in huge tray!!

Craftsman
    Thank you for all the comments.

For those who have said it was a stupid thing to do - I quite agree! However, hindsight is a wonderful thing and airports aren't known for bringing out rational and sensible behaviour in even the best of us.

As many have commented, I am not sure removing watches is a standard request. This was the first and only time either of us had been asked to remove a watch. If we had been asked previously no doubt we would have had the watch tucked away safely before we got to security.

As to whether the airport should have paid up - all I can say is that I am glad they did!

A simple mistake to make......

As always - plenty of people ready to "lump it in to you" for making it..........

Pleased you had a successful resolution with the airport security company.

Al