closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Nomos Lambda 39

Craftsman

My Nomos Lambda 39

This is a very special watch in my opinion, and I'm delighted and lucky to own it. The general consensus (on forums!) seems to be that it's overpriced, but I wanted a gold dress watch, 38-40mm, simple and elegant but also a bit more interesting than the standard Calatrava look, and honestly think this piece represents decent value compared to the competition (even at retail price, and I paid nowhere near that!). I'm also a huge Nomos fan, so the chance to own their flagship watch means a lot to me. In person it's a stunning piece in my opinion, understated yet special (and rare - I'm pretty certain I'll never see another one!). The finishing quality is fantastic too, and I enjoy looking at the front and back of the watch equally!

Master
    Very nice! Clean.

Are you a photographer by any chance? The pictures of this and the JLC are out of this world!

benwoodroffe
    Absolutely lovely watch, great pics

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Very nice! Clean.

Are you a photographer by any chance? The pictures of this and the JLC are out of this world!
    Nice of you to say, but no I definitely wouldn't call myself "a photographer", I do enjoy taking pictures though! The macros are taken with an iPhone and cheap macros attachment.

You don't post often, but when you do...

Beautiful watch, and indeed not a run of the mill choice.

Cheers,
    Christian

Master
    Blog Entries
    Stunning watch and pics. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGarton View Post
    The macros are taken with an iPhone and cheap macros attachment.
    Very nice watches and photos. I would never have thought those were from an iPhone.

Master
    That's fantastic.
    The blue one was on my want list for ages, still is but I'm in the poor house for a while.

Don't think I've ever seen pics of an actual watch other than the marketing photos!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    That's fantastic.
    The blue one was on my want list for ages, still is but I'm in the poor house for a while.

Don't think I've ever seen pics of an actual watch other than the marketing photos!
    Yes there's hardly any about, I've found one other chap on a forum who had one. A shame really, it deserves a lot more attention in my opinion.

That´s a beautiful thing, congratulations.

Craftsman
    Stunning watch and great pics with an iPhone!

Beautiful, elegant, well balanced dial and very nice photos. Good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

very nice again....and not many straps as nice as those Cordovan ones from Nomos...

Journeyman
    Incredible again Andy - how about a post all about photography from you please!!!!

What a lovely lovely watch.

I'm sure I've read there are only two watch makers that make these and there are subtle differences between each of their outputs, meaning you can tell who made your watch.

It certainly looks lovely, but I bet it isn't cheap.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    It certainly looks lovely, but I bet it isn't cheap.
    Not cheap, but you don't need to pay full retail either ... for me it was a relative bargain compared to the other pieces I was looking at (ALS etc).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    What a lovely lovely watch.

I'm sure I've read there are only two watch makers that make these and there are subtle differences between each of their outputs, meaning you can tell who made your watch.
    I'd love to read more about that if you can possibly remember where you read it, or can find it - I've not been able to find much information beyond the original rather lightweight press reviews. I did find that the hand engraved writing shown in the picture below says "Made with Love in Glashutte" (in German) though - I love the fact the text is a bit uneven and even messy, human, not machine!

Master
    It is a very lovely watch, but it was a brave purchase . Nomis is has no presence in the more expensive end of the market, which is perhaps not it's natural home.
    So, a gamble, but you have a gorgeous watch which should give a lot of pleasure. I especially like the blue-faced version. I think Nomos are making some of the best-looking watches on the market. My partner has a grey-faced version of the Tangente , which has aged very well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    It is a very lovely watch, but it was a brave purchase . Nomis is has no presence in the more expensive end of the market, which is perhaps not it's natural home.
    So, a gamble, but you have a gorgeous watch which should give a lot of pleasure. I especially like the blue-faced version. I think Nomos are making some of the best-looking watches on the market. My partner has a grey-faced version of the Tangente , which has aged very well.
    I understand what you're saying, but it was no gamble for me, since I don't intend to sell it (I know, everybody says that). I got what I consider great value - it's an investment in smiles!

That's a fantastic watch with exemplary attention to detail and craftsmanship. For me, it's far preferable to a run-of-the-mill Calatrava.

I think it offers far better value for money than one, too — but then again, I don't see the appeal of entry-level Pateks that are very much mass-produced yet pretend not to be.

I'd love to read more about that if you can possibly remember where you read it, or can find it - I've not been able to find much information beyond the original rather lightweight press reviews. I did find that the hand engraved writing shown in the picture below says "Made with Love in Glashutte" (in German) though - I love the fact the text is a bit uneven and even messy, human, not machine!
    I'm sure it was just on Hodinkee or ABTW, or something along those lines. I'm sure it gave much more detail, but i'll try and have a look.

Craftsman
    Thanks, don't worry then - I probably read it but didn't take it in, those kind of superficial press-releases-disguised-as-reviews articles bore me usually!

Initially, on viewing the thread, I was dismissive of the watch. But then I started to have a closer look and my view changed.

The finish is exquisite and the movement looks stunning.

Congratulations :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Initially, on viewing the thread, I was dismissive of the watch. But then I started to have a closer look and my view changed.

The finish is exquisite and the movement looks stunning.

Congratulations :)
    Cheers, these photos really aren't my best - the light was moving between intense sun and completely flat, and I messed up the post-processing too. It is a spectacular watch in reality, on a par with my Duometre in terms of finish and appeal (if not complications of course).

Really beautiful watch, but a lot more expensive than I would have thought.

I thought that the Lambda was only available in a 42mm case, the 39mm is much more appropriate IMO.

For me, probably the best looking watch Nomos make, though the Zurichs and Orions run it close. Lovely stuff, and fair play to you for going slightly off piste with your choice.

Stunning watch and photos... it really puts me in mind of the finest pocket watches made centuries ago. Its a perfect mix of heritage and modernism!

Master
    Blog Entries
    That's beautiful- those slim hands are wonderful

Craftsman
    Absolutely stunning Mr.

And the photos are amazing

Craftsman
    Lovely!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Not my cup of tea but a beautiful looking thing none the less. Still can't believe you took pics of that quality with an iphone. Mine are rubbish!

You're clearly delighted with your choice and that's all that matters, big money or not.

My Nomos Lambda 39

I love this watch. First time I visited the Nomos site I thought 'oooh - that's the one.' Then, obviously, I saw the price!

Just one of many examples of my unerring ability to desire the most expensive offering from pretty much any manufacturer at first sight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I understand what you're saying, but it was no gamble for me, since I don't intend to sell it (I know, everybody says that). I got what I consider great value - it's an investment in smiles!
    This is very much my approach. I buy a watch because I want it. If resale is poor....then keep it. A fine watch is always a fine watch. Age doesn't change that.