closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Acrylamide

Acrylamide

The latest bit of advice from the Food Standards Agency (link) concerns consumption of Acrylamide...and how to avoid it. BBClink:

...Acrylamide is produced when starchy foods are roasted, fried or grilled for too long at high temperatures.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) recommends carefully following cooking instructions and avoiding browning.

However, Cancer Research UK said the link was not proven in humans.

The FSA also says potatoes and parsnips should not be kept in the fridge...

So, grilling, coffee, toast, chips...the list goes on...are up for consideration. So:

We have been told...but I don't think I'll be doing much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    So it seems...thanks. I hadn't previously heard about it but did find plenty on the net that's quite recent (last few years). If the FSA's campaign is simply an update on UK health advice, then I'll have to blame the BBC for blowing the issue out of proportion by not reporting it as such.

Remember last year they claimed one slice of crispy bacon gave you the same chance of cancer as a fag? Very quickly they back-tracked and this is the first we've heard of it since. Cancer UK say it's unproven. Even the scientist on Today on R4 this morning had to backtrack a bit when challenged that their recommended colour toast was no more than warm bread.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    It's all a load of gents dangly bits.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    It's all a load of gents dangly bits.
    This!

Even if true, just add it to every other food that'll kill you....which is pretty much all of them.

A man's gotta eat!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    This!

Even if true, just add it to every other food that'll kill you....which is pretty much all of them.

A man's gotta eat!
    bang on!!

How/why this has been reported as though it is new 'news' baffles me, there are identical reports going back a decade, at least.
    I suspect this is generated by the (European) hotel industry which seems incapable of making toasters that produce anything between untoasted and burnt to a crisp ;)
    Last edited by Stanford; 23rd January 2017 at 18:23.

We were always told burnt toast was carcinogenic - never liked it burnt anway !

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    We were always told burnt toast was carcinogenic - never liked it burnt anway !
    Particularly the crust ! Uuuugh...

It is pretty simple really. Don't ingest burnt stuff, be it potatoes, toast or steak. Instead of dredging up old news, the likes of the BBC should keep banging on about how fast food, low exercise and not eating enough fruit and vegetables is turning the vast majority of the population into ill fatties.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    It's not burnt...it's either 'caramelised','cajun','barbecue' or 'shut up its meant to look like that'

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    It is pretty simple really. Don't ingest burnt stuff, be it potatoes, toast or steak. Instead of dredging up old news, the likes of the BBC should keep banging on about how fast food, low exercise and not eating enough fruit and vegetables is turning the vast majority of the population into ill fatties.
    They do, constantly. It's tiresome. If we don't know it now we never will.

Master
    Lots of foods might kill you.

You will definitely die if you eat no food at all though...