closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko SKX009

Seiko SKX009

Just bought this for my son from Sales corner (thanks Greg) and fitted a Super Oyster I picked up from Amazon. I couldn't resist trying it on! For very little outlay, I think it looks quite good. It's the "J" model too...

Master
    Awesome! I haven't got access to the SC yet but can't wait to see some bargains.

How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DWK View Post
    Just bought this for my son from Sales corner (thanks Greg) and fitted a Super Oyster I picked up from Amazon. I couldn't resist trying it on! For very little outlay, I think it looks quite good. It's the "J" model too...

There is something indefinably wonderful about that model. Such a classic. Hope your son gets great pleasure from it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Definitely a classic and a very versatile watch too, lucky son...

As much as I love the rattly and uber comfy Seiko Jubilee the super oyster definitely raises the SKX's up a few notches.

Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    As much as I love the rattly and uber comfy Seiko Jubilee the super oyster definitely raises the SKX's up a few notches.
    Yes. I can also recommend Watchadoo for anyone looking for a quality aftermarket bracelet

Banned
    I cannot recommend this watch enough , absolutely unrivalled in its price category and the super oyster upgrades it even further

Stunning watch for its cost and nice combo! Enjoy it in good health (you and your son)

Great watch that has a place in everyone's collection. Look great on any strap particularly the oyster.
    Was my into into the world of auto watches. Enjoy!! :)

Craftsman
    That's a very nice purchase. Bet your sons's over the moon.

Pound for pound, I think the 007/009 is the best value for money watch on the planet.

I think my 007 looks its best and most distinctive on the (slightly uncomfortable) Seiko rubber.

Craftsman
    Did I get a dud? Bought one brand new. I found the crown really fiddly and hard to screw back in. The bezel tight and hard to turn. Nice looking watch though.

I've had maybe 6 of these in various guises and modifications.

Ultimately, I found the underside of the crown guard uncomfortable on anything other than a NATO (and I'm pretty much over those).

Having said that, it doesn't stop me having a 009 in the collection, albeit unworn since purchased 10 months ago!

Master
    009 is my most worn watch, love it. But I've also modded mine with a DD IR saphire, new bezel insert and a solid president bracelet.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Croftrock View Post
    Yes. I can also recommend Watchadoo for anyone looking for a quality aftermarket bracelet

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    The SKX009 is one of my favorite watches, I had 3 of those, currently have only two. And of course I have a SKX007.

However, I must admit that i would like to see an improved version with the 4R36 movement. And a better stock bracelet.

Journeyman
    A great watch indeed. I am thinking about thinning my collection but my skx is not part of the plan.

Craftsman
    I cannot see myself not having an SKX in my collection. Currently got one waiting for a SRP777 dial and hands (I'm a lume junkie). Got another with a new Dagaz superdome just back from waterproof testing. Got one I'm doing as a Omega Spectre mod with yobokies parts. And got a new SKX171 waiting for inpiration (will probably put a NH36 in it and a sapphire). New years resolution - limit myself to only one or two SKX and sell the rest.

It's an illness

Seiko SKX's are just brilliant VFM watches
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Very nice. Had one modded to planet monster spec, no idea why I sold it on.

Journeyman
    Love my 009. I've modded it with a 4R36 and domed sapphire. I was going to get a Strapcode super jubilee but I had the opportunity to handle one in person and didn't really think the bracelet itself was worth the upgrade. I may get a coin edge bezel soon. If I could find anybody who made a ceramic version of the original pepsi bezel insert, I'd probably have that in it by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Did I get a dud? Bought one brand new. I found the crown really fiddly and hard to screw back in. The bezel tight and hard to turn. Nice looking watch though.
    They're cheap, mass-produced watches that are made to within certain QC tolerances that Seiko deems acceptable, which means there is always some variation between examples. Same reason for the "J is better than K" myth that has been perpetuated on the internet for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    I had one of these and I found the crown to be absolutely terrible. I loved the watch as a whole but the crown just felt flimsy, does anyone know if the "New Turtle" models feel more robust? Thinking about trying on of those (sorry for ot)

Master
    Great watch and a very lucky son. Not sure why I ever sold my 007.

Great watch. He'll love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Croftrock View Post

I hope your son appeeciates the quality watch you got for him - also thanks for tip on bracelets, should come in handy, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by drury View Post
    I had one of these and I found the crown to be absolutely terrible. I loved the watch as a whole but the crown just felt flimsy, does anyone know if the "New Turtle" models feel more robust? Thinking about trying on of those (sorry for ot)
    Although I've had 6/7 SKX's and never had any problems with any of them the answer is yes, the new turtle feels much more solid and robust in just about all areas.

Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    Although I've had 6/7 SKX's and never had any problems with any of them the answer is yes, the new turtle feels much more solid and robust in just about all areas.
    Good to know! That might just be the next purchase in terms of holiday / beach watch - Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by drury View Post
    Good to know! That might just be the next purchase in terms of holiday / beach watch - Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I recently bought an SRP777 and didn't wear my Speedmaster for nearly 3 weeks and only wore my BLNR when wearing a suit for work. Great watch, will definitely be my holiday watch together with one of my gshocks.

I haven't had or handled an SKX but can assure you the SRP feels very well made and is solid. I think the lollipop lume on the second hand is on he wrong end but it's a minor detail.

Master
    Not such a bargain anymore. Aside from any special deals, the current price of the SKX007J/009J at Yorkshire Watches is £259!
    Last edited by UKMike; 30th January 2017 at 12:44.

Master
    I do love the SKX, but personally I prefer the Orient Mako as a budget auto diver... (dons flameproof suit)

Just my view, mind!

Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    The SKX009 is one of my favorite watches, I had 3 of those, currently have only two. And of course I have a SKX007.

However, I must admit that i would like to see an improved version with the 4R36 movement. And a better stock bracelet.
    I loved my 009 when I owned it - particularly on a good quality after-market Oyster bracelet (I find Z22 rubber fiendishly uncomfortable and the standard jubilee too rattly). I sold all my Seikos some years ago to fund my first Breitling.

The comment above is why I now own a turtle re-issue PADI! It's like a 009 on steroids...

Simon