closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: After a couple of years on TZUK, I've finally given in to temptation and made my most

After a couple of years on TZUK, I've finally given in to temptation and made my most

Expensive purchase...

MX5 arrives this weekend.
    Last edited by Gyp; 16th January 2017 at 19:27.

Master
    Tell us more......please.

The TZ-UK pass around MX-5 says hi

I'll bet yours is a lot younger

Great stuff! Do get some pictures posted asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've fancied one for ages, and seeing as it's the missus birthday this week, I've bought myself one as a surprise present for her.

I've looked at specs and reviews again and again trying to decide if I should get one, and if so, deciding on which version/engine/spec to go for and was stuck in analysis paralysis.

Then, one of the most fastidious ladies at work mentioned she was selling hers and that kind of forced the issue...

It's a totally mint 4 year old metallic grey 2.0 Sport Tech Coupe with 12,000 miles on the clock.

I probably paid a little more than I should, but at least this saves me from more procrastination.

The missus might have mentioned over dinner last night that she'd made her mind up and decided she really wanted an Audi A1, but I'm sure she'll get over it. And if not, I bought her a bicycle at the weekend so that'll have to do.

Assuming she manages to drive it ok, I'll have to get her current convertible up on SC ready for summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Assuming she manages to drive it ok, I'll have to get her current convertible up on SC ready for summer.
    Oooh, and what is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Coops365 View Post
    Oooh, and what is that?
    A beautiful blend of Italian styling and Japanese manufacturing..

Oh, hang on, it's the other way round; a nightmare blend of Japanese styling and Italian manufacturing 😁

Mitsubishi Colt CZC. Not the most stylish or sophisticated convertible, but it's fine for dirt cheap top down summer motoring.

Master
    Expensive purchase...

MX5 arrives this weekend.
    I though it was a watch. I did wonder why it was in G&D.
    Beautiful car, enjoy!

Master
    ...................."she'd made her mind up and decided she really wanted an Audi A1"..........................

And you bought her a Mazda MX5? Good luck with that then lol

Love an MX5. Have owned a couple of MK1 (pop-up headlight) models in the past, a yellow 1.8 J-Ltd II - and a black 1.6 (underpowered, unfortunaltely). I'd have another in a heartbeat. Enjoy that car. 👍

Sent from my HTC One dual sim using TZ-UK mobile app

I've fancied one for ages, and seeing as it's the missus birthday this week, I've bought myself one as a surprise present for her.
    I like your style.

Pics when available please (the car that is).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Just me really looking forward to Gyp's Dear Wife comments in the next few weeks?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by docd View Post
    The TZ-UK pass around MX-5 says hi

I'll bet yours is a lot younger
    Yes the current one is, in fact it was an early Xmas pressie from the missus. The new 1.5 Sports Nav is hoot......but then any MX5 is. But I do miss the electric hood, the manual hood is quicker but awkward and nowhere near as impressive to pedestrians .

Women do not 'get over' things.

Here's how it goes:
    You spend ages trying to convince your wife that the MX5 is better than the Audi. Your wife remains unconvinced.
    You become an apologist for any 'perceived' faults of the MX5 during the (brief) ownership period. This takes up a lot of your time. You get very defensive about the MX5. You begin to hate the MX5.
    One of the 'perceived' faults is that it's not an Audi. There is no way to resolve this without getting the Audi.
    You eventually sell the MX5 and buy the Audi. You think that this will resolve the matter, but you are *never* fully trusted on these matters ever again.

Better keep the receipt my friend.

Master
    Bought this for the wife six years ago and she loves it.

I have tried to upgrade it many times but if i did she would cut off my balls.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post

Did your wife choose it pre-purchase?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    Did your wife choose it pre-purchase?
    I suppose that was the difference,she wanted an MX5 but left the choice to me and i thought the girly blue and electric hard top the best choice.

Just to add she hates the new Mk 4 MX5 and describes it as too manly in looks.

What a few of us are trying to say, Gyp, is: save yourself the hassle and the many 'Dear Wife' letters and get her the Audi.
    You can then enjoy your MX5 without any risk of her destroying it.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    ...................."she'd made her mind up and decided she really wanted an Audi A1"..........................
    Could be worse. My sister in law wanted a white UP and got a black Jag XK

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    Women do not 'get over' things.

Here's how it goes:
    You spend ages trying to convince your wife that the MX5 is better than the Audi. Your wife remains unconvinced.
    You become an apologist for any 'perceived' faults of the MX5 during the (brief) ownership period. This takes up a lot of your time. You get very defensive about the MX5. You begin to hate the MX5.
    One of the 'perceived' faults is that it's not an Audi. There is no way to resolve this without getting the Audi.
    You eventually sell the MX5 and buy the Audi. You think that this will resolve the matter, but you are *never* fully trusted on these matters ever again.

Better keep the receipt my friend.
    ^^ This. Good work. Enjoy the MX5 you bought for yourself. 😉

They are lovely cars though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    What a few of us are trying to say, Gyp, is: save yourself the hassle and the many 'Dear Wife' letters and get her the Audi.
    You can then enjoy your MX5 without any risk of her destroying it.
    If push comes to shove, I'll get her to drive my Yeti though I'd rather she didn't.

Thinking about it, I'd rather she didn't drive the MX5 either.

Perhaps I can just persuade her to cycle everywhere (she rarely goes more than a mile and a half anyway) and I'll drive the cars...

*thinks*

I know her sister would like an MX5...

I suppose that was the difference,she wanted an MX5 but left the choice to me and i thought the girly blue and electric hard top the best choice.
    To be fair, she has vacillated betwixt MX5 (including this one despite never having seen it), Panda 4x4 and A1 for a while, so it's not available entirely left field choice.

Bearing in mind her very short commute, whatever she drives needs to be different enough to the Yeti that we'd want to drive it at weekends to stop it seizing up, and the A1 just isn't that different.

Just to add she hates the new Mk 4 MX5 and describes it as too manly in looks.
    She (OK both of us) went all weak at the knees at the Fiat 124 Spyder launch in Amalfi last summer so I'm sure the Mazda stands a chance of acceptance.

My main genuine concern is whether she'll be able to get in and out and drive it comfortably with her slightly dodgy back and trapped nerve. She's never been willing to drive any car before we've bought it anyway (insisting on getting used to it on her own in a quiet and measured way) so this would be a risk whatever I'd bought.

But the MX5 does feel like I'd be pushing that a little...

^^^^^^^^

You may be lucky. My 80 year old mum, all five foot nothing of her, finds it easier to get in and out of my MK2 than my not quite six foot 60 year old brother in law.

Enjoy the new motor and worry about the wife later

There are vey few things that you can spend a lot of money on without some regret. An MX5 is one of them. You will never drive it without pleasure.

*thinks*

I know her sister would like an MX5...

Trade in the wife?

Forgot to mention that when I took it for a spin I suggested popping the roof down.

The owner reached for the manual.

4 years they've had it and never put the roof down!

(I followed the visual clues on the buttons and had it down before they had found the page)

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I like your style.

Pics when available please (the car that is).

R

Master

Welcome to the club but does your wife like her new Audi A1...

She's not seen it yet.

I suspect I've found my first problem - condensation. A quick Google suggests a scuttle leak.

Fun fun fun

:-)

I've noticed that the reg numbers MX05 COW and MX05 MOO are available, but I don't think I'm brave enough

Master
    She's not seen it yet.

I suspect I've found my first problem - condensation. A quick Google suggests a scuttle leak.

Fun fun fun
    If it's the rear window with condensation don't worry as that's quite normal at this time of year.

If not search MX5 forums as it's normally the drain holes and very very rarely it's the scuttle panel.

Have a good look inside under the seats and in the boot and if no sign of water then it could just be normal condensation as due to the design of the car you get a bit more at this time of year than say in a normal car.

Mark

If it's the rear window with condensation don't worry as that's quite normal at this time of year.

If not search MX5 forums as it's normally the drain holes and very very rarely it's the scuttle panel.

Have a good look inside under the seats and in the boot and if no sign of water then it could just be normal condensation as due to the design of the car you get a bit more at this time of year than say in a normal car.

Mark
    Cheers, Mark.

One thing I didn't notice before buying was a couple of dribble marks on the plastic at the side of the passenger foot well - first thoughts were drink spillage, but it seems like leaks on the scuttle grommets are a possibility. Just to be sure, I've ordered up replacements along with a trombone brush from MX5parts - about £15 all in delivered. It won't do any harm to replace/seal anyway

And for now I've got the dehumidifier drying out the inside just to be sure

Master

Technically the red one belongs to the missus, tother is mine. Both are completely different yet each are great fun.

To be fair, she has vacillated betwixt MX5 (including this one despite never having seen it), Panda 4x4 and A1 for a while, so it's not available entirely left field choice.

Bearing in mind her very short commute, whatever she drives needs to be different enough to the Yeti that we'd want to drive it at weekends to stop it seizing up, and the A1 just isn't that different.

She (OK both of us) went all weak at the knees at the Fiat 124 Spyder launch in Amalfi last summer so I'm sure the Mazda stands a chance of acceptance.

My main genuine concern is whether she'll be able to get in and out and drive it comfortably with her slightly dodgy back and trapped nerve. She's never been willing to drive any car before we've bought it anyway (insisting on getting used to it on her own in a quiet and measured way) so this would be a risk whatever I'd bought.

But the MX5 does feel like I'd be pushing that a little...
    Spider please, its not German, ours is now on the drive and so much more class than a MX( photo taken in Rapallo last year.

Spider needs to be Abarth...

Having seen one up close, they're just a bit too '80's bachelor's bedroom for my liking.

Craftsman
    Nice choice! Love to have a weekend car!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

To noisy and obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by frogspawn View Post
    To noisy and obvious.
    Is there such a thing? I seem to remember all 3 presenters from TG thought it was better than the best MX5. Probably not for Mrs Gyp, admittedly.

Journeyman
    Nice roadster

A friend that loves cars used to have one and I took it for a test drive, it was great fun.

Smile

Is there such a thing? I seem to remember all 3 presenters from TG thought it was better than the best MX5. Probably not for Mrs Gyp, admittedly.
    Having driven both, the Abarth is great fun but not suited for the wonderful roads around our county, would be a good track day car but somewhat expensive for that, the 124 spider is more relaxed and better on the roads around Kent. I know which one I'd like to cross the Alps in though. And Mrs Frogspawn loves the Lusso so that was settled before i got the chance to argue
    ;-)

Master
    I've had a few over the years and I've just decided to get another as a second car now the kids are a bit older. I am however surprised by how rare good/unmodified MK1's are now a days! I've got a viewing lined up for the weekend after missing out on what seemed like a minter last week. Fingers crossed I'll be in the club very soon

Definitely not for Mr Gyp's wallet!

Where are your man maths?

Where are your man maths?
    I've made alternative plans for the weekends...

Now you're talking. Good man. RS or RT... I'd take either but good on you to have both.

Now you're talking. Good man. RS or RT... I'd take either but good on you to have both.
    Unfortunately, circumstances dictate that I'm probably going to have to slim the bikes down to just the R1200R and the airheads will have to find new homes.

I've probably got someone interested in the R65RS who I know will give it a full nut and bolt restoration, but if you'd be interested in a 1989 Met Police surveillance spec R80RT mono, let me know.

The police cancelled the order so never took delivery, so I've had it since 1989 :-)

As the bike wasn't intended to be identified as a police bike, the only actual changes were the uprated voltage regulator and semi floating disks. Whoop!