closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I like big watches, but........

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com

I like big watches, but........

......I think this is going a bit too far :shock:

This is size for size's sake. I don't think there is any pretence of styling here. The brief seems to have been make it big, and make it with what you can find in the parts bin.

I have a feeling that ther must be a washing machine somewhere in the factory that doesn't work any more, The drum mount and front door have been cannibalised :D

I know that there are people out there who like these, and fair enough, I like watches that others don't, but am I missing something?

Grand Master
    Umm, what the hell is it .. looks way too big/uncomfortable to be of any use, except maybe as a wall clock. Just stupid ..
    /vince ..

It's a 'Welder'. I believe it's the same company that was responsible for the 'U-Boat' series.

http://www.welder-watch.com/

Ouch... that looks painful to wear!?!

Stupid stupid stupid IMO

Plain ugly. Nothing else.

Almost EUR 500 for a Miyota???? Are they mad?
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Quote Originally Posted by doug darter
    It's a 'Welder'.
    Looks like you'd need to be a welder to wear that monstrosity :?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    But where is rear exhibition glass ?

....may look like : :D

Master

Re: I like big watches, but........

......I think this is going a bit too far :shock:
    Me too...:D

Master
    i knda like the look of some of the watches on the site but think that circa £350 for a miyota movement is a bit cheeky, i would however pay about £100-£200, but even then i would not be that tempted by them.
    perhaps it is just me but they look cheap!
    Something from a market stall.

Thomas Reid
    There might be the idea that being bigger warrants being more expensive, as well. When, with watches, it is just the reverse, it seems to me. ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    There might be the idea that being bigger warrants being more expensive, as well. When, with watches, it is just the reverse, it seems to me. ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob
    It used to be so pre-1970s ...

john
    Every watch a story.

That looks so stupid..........actually, like the Bell & Ross ones that a few seem so keen on, it looks like it's been unscrewed directly from the dash of a car, bodged onto a strap and sold as a watch............

Master
    Even in the 70's and 80's a premium was placed on a smaller, ior indeed thinner wahtc, the latter expecially in regard to quartz technology and development(s).

I'm much in preference of the watches that are not so bulky. When doing anything rather useful, they can become rather an impediment to the hand, and an imbalance. However, what with diving, they may act helpfully as a ballast, perhaps ;)

There are times certainly for larger watches, in relation to visibility-though this does not require them to be necc. bulkier, though perhaps 'bigger'.

Best wishes,

AP :)

Do you know that feeling you get when halfway through reading a post you realised it's from Mr A.Pottinger ...

:shock:

You don't want to stop because now and again he comes up with some good and knowledgeable points but most of the time you don?t know whether it?s safe to expose your early morning brain to any further circular angularity.

john

PS Ignore me today. I am menopausal. :D
    Every watch a story.

Master
    'Circular angularity' What, pray, does that mean? :lol:

The middle para. has a sense of humour about it :wink: you may try it some time, perhaps! :lol:

Dive watches were always rather large due to technical considerations, however that has for the most part come to pass, and now it seems more of a fashion than an engineering neccessity, though the added use of it as ballast may help ;)

I forsee that watches smaller in size, and crucially, in bulk (the two are quite different) will come back into fashion. Perhaps there is only so much bling most can take?

Best wishes,

AP:)

PS Your occasional patronizing tone is as lovable as it is amusing, as is it's opportunism ;)

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Pottinger

I forsee that watches smaller in size, and crucially, in bulk (the two are quite different) will come back into fashion. Perhaps there is only so much bling most can take?
    I see relatively large watches in the future, but more that are mostly dial. (Or perhaps that's just my future.) Big industrial looking cases don't have legs, I think.

Best wishes,
    Bob

I just think it's farking ugly.

I don't know how the markets can be judged overall. Some markets will want bigger watches while others will want smaller. For example, Italy wants different watches from France let alone when the span is continents.

Watches like the JLC Master Compressors which to me look ridiculously large and hardly ever seen in Europe ... in Hong Hong and China they are considered the upper class Rolex of today.

I like to think that at least in Europe watches will stay at a reasonable size.

But there will be exceptions. I saw one of these recently ... way too big, especially for the size of the strap ... and even tho classed as 42mm, that's for the whole length of nearly 50mm.

john
    Every watch a story.

It's a 'Welder'. I believe it's the same company that was responsible for the 'U-Boat' series.

http://www.welder-watch.com/
    Bell & Ross wanna-be's?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Dooohh

I don't think that you would be allowed to board a plane wearing that :shock:

Journeyman

Re: I like big watches, but........

I like the shape of these watches, like the Bell&Ross br0 but I think maybe a 40mm would be about the right size for me.

Regards....gary

Craftsman

At least in my case...........

The move toward ever larger watches is really a move toward easier readability. As my eyes no longer focus close up, I end up having to read the dial from about a klick away (or arm's length), and since I use my watches in both the light and complete dark, I need them readable at all times. I'm getting the B-1 as my first expensive quartz for the combination of backlight and readable chrono in the dark, and I've stopped buying watches like the Rolex Daytona, or most traditional chronos smaller than a Breitling Super Avenger or Omega Planet Ocean (which I won't buy because of Eddie's troubles with Omega). Just can't see the subdials anymore.

Bigger is better, and I predict will remain the trend. Something around 43 to 44 mm, mostly dial, will become the norm. I even expect Rolex to move up from the 40 mm maxi-dial on my GMT. Or at least I hope they do. A 43 mm Seadweller with maxi-dial would be a terrific watch for me, and I suspect most other old codgers like me. (I'm 57, and my eyes are 77)

Grand Master

Re: At least in my case...........

Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow
    Bigger is better, and I predict will remain the trend.
    Absolutely. I mean just look at subject of this thread :D

I do exercise some caution in equating "big" with "shit", even though it's quite easy to do these days. But there's a fine line between good design for readability, and not bothering with ergonomics and just making stuff real big.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Yes, a large dial, with an aging population (Japan may be an indicator, in regard to their 'population pyramid' being like what ours in Europe shall be, if expectations are correct, in several decades time).

Large ageing popn = Large dial for visibility.

Where it may change by the same measure, is in bulk, so making the watches more portable and comfortable (they can be rather cumbersome, esp. over time). ;)

Best wishes,

AP :)

Craftsman
    Beautifully detailed though. :wink:

Craftsman
    Fugly! Bell and Ross on steroids. I guess it's strictly for the t-short kinds guy cause there's no way you're gonna get that under a long sleeved shirt cuff!

Master
    It can double as a wall clock.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad
    That looks so stupid..........actually, like the Bell & Ross ones that a few seem so keen on, it looks like it's been unscrewed directly from the dash of a car, bodged onto a strap and sold as a watch............
    Nope. A late cold-war era Russian fighter plane cockpit. :D

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    After quietly laughing to myself over people and oversize watches, I decided to embrace the concept.

What do you think?

I think you have a winner there Ken :-)

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    After quietly laughing to myself over people and oversize watches, I decided to embrace the concept.

What do you think?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That could be a great seller - but only if you put it on a genuine lizard skin strap :shock:

What irritates me most is that those sell probably much better than Eddie's creations.

What the hell is wrong?

I've had a quick look at the Welder website and am now in a position to certify that my flabber is officially gasted. It's an object lesson in the difference between fakery, homage, and imitation. It's as if Mr Welder (if such a person may be imagined) bethought himself "what large outrageous watches sell well for big money?" came up with B&R and Panny, and welded on a crown guard to a huge square watch.

Kamraj

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii

What do you think?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    Ooh, I've got to get myself one of those, but there's one thing that bothers me - as it wears a little high on the wrist, there's a risk I might tap it into something and mark the PVD finish.....tell me, how durable is the coating in day-to-day use??!! :lol:

mr1973 wrote:
    lysanderxiii wrote:

What do you think?

Ooh, I've got to get myself one of those, but there's one thing that bothers me - as it wears a little high on the wrist, there's a risk I might tap it into something and mark the PVD finish.....tell me, how durable is the coating in day-to-day use??!!
    I echo all the stated concerns ... and where's the date?

Kamraj

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamraj

I echo all the stated concerns ... and where's the date?

Kamraj
    Perhaps you have another one to match on the other wrist that just gives you the date! (and helps to balance you if you want to try walking!!)

Craftsman
    I can't understand that they are still using regular screens on the TV:s when everyone wants widescreen TV:s.

Oh sorry, it's a watch, my mistake :D