closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 72 of 166 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast
Results 3,551 to 3,600 of 8267

Thread: What do you drive?

Master

I picked this up t'other day and am really enjoying it. feels like a lot of car for not too much money.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post

I picked this up t'other day and am really enjoying it. feels like a lot of car for not too much money.
    Great choice! Petrol or diesel? (I think the bonnet vent suggests the latter?)

Put some winter tyres on it and enjoy the snow.

Master
    good spot, it is the diesel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Tube....

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Great choice! Petrol or diesel? (I think the bonnet vent suggests the latter?)

Put some winter tyres on it and enjoy the snow.
    What snow?

Journeyman
    My current cars,

Took this today & was told it should be ready for June

Mercedes 250SL Pagoda

Quote Originally Posted by eternalife View Post
    My current cars,

There seems to be a number of Evora owners on this forum! I approve (and am jealous!)

Master

Quite possibly one of the coolest cars in the world.

It would be great to see any updates and specs for the rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by PDE View Post

Mercedes 250SL Pagoda

Quote Originally Posted by PDE View Post

Mercedes 250SL Pagoda

😳😳😳

Please keep us updated
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    There seems to be a number of Evora owners on this forum! I approve (and am jealous!)
    Thanks, had it for about 18 months now, and certainly enjoy driving it (when there is less salt on the road that is!)
    Just gone from the latest page back to page 60, Supercars, powerful cars, rally cars, very clean (and rare) classics and boats! This forum never ceases to amaze me!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Please keep us updated
    This was from a couple of months ago -

Another from today, just need to finalise the colour choice this week

I will add my latest acquisition

Since selling my Volvo 760 I have been after a big barge with a V engine and recent discussion on here and elsewhere has pointed me in the direction of Japanese models. So.........

1998 Nissan Maxima QX

Lovely V6 3 litre engine

Mechanically its spot on (111K and FSH) - lovely and smooth with a nice growl when you out your foot down. 20mpg or less with 'spirited' driving but you cant have everything. Serviced in November but I have it booked in with my usual guy for a full service next week just to be on the safe side.

A couple of bodywork issues - minor crease to front wing and rear door, a couple of dings in the bonnet and a few other places and the rear bumper is slightly adrift. Fortunately a friend of a friend runs a body shop and its looking like a morning or afternoon will see everything back in shape.

The usual minor electrical issues that I'm working through at my leisure - just need to sort out the cruise control and aftermarket alarm now.

All for £1K

Bangernomics in action

...and certainly enjoy driving it (when there is less salt on the road that is!)
    I wouldn't let a little cold weather get in your way of enjoying it:

And any salt obviously won't have the same effect as on a steel car. GRP and aluminium can't rust.

Journeyman
    For the evora owners, this youtbe channel will show your car in all its guts and glory:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...tnwtU6LfLGHS_m

The chap buys a write off and rebuilds it from the ground up. It's great to see the engineering under the skin and you will not get anymore in depth than this.

I am only about half way through it all (no spoilers please, )

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    I wouldn't let a little cold weather get in your way of enjoying it:

And any salt obviously won't have the same effect as on a steel car. GRP and aluminium can't rust.
    Lovely Car ;) is it your only car? used daily?
    The problem with cold weather is it makes my car cover fuse itself on the car :D
    I probably take it out once a week, partly due to the fact the GTi (with DSG) is so much easier getting around in London traffic - and as for salt, annoying to clean!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post

It won't rust. But it will corrode. Salt breaks down the passive oxide layer that normally protects Aluminium alloys.

Precious metals, such gold, do not corrode under "household conditions", others, such as iron or aluminium do. Rusting of iron is a typical example. Here, the corroded surface often is very porous and the corrosion carries on until the whole piece of metal is turned to rust (oxidized).

In the case of aluminium, the initial corrosive layer is very tight and serves as a protection for the rest of the aluminium. Such a very thin and transparent protection layer often is artificially applied.

Now comes the table salt, which is sodium chloride (NaCl). Sodium chloride is hygroscopic, it "attracts" the water. It is also very soluble in water.
    When it dissolves, sodium Na+ & chloride Cl−
    ions are formed.

The chloride ions attach and move into the protective oxide layer of the aluminium and finally induce the corrosion of the aluminium metal.
    For a more scientific, in-depth explanation of this corrosive processes known as pitting, you might want to have a look at undergrad corrosion text books.

z

Sent from a phone using this app TZ-UK app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by scooobydont View Post
    For the evora owners, this youtbe channel will show your car in all its guts and glory:

The chap buys a write off and rebuilds it from the ground up. It's great to see the engineering under the skin and you will not get anymore in depth than this.

Thanks for that! Just watched Pt 1, damn that is quite some damage! will help me get to know my car a lot better that's for sure

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    It won't rust. But it will corrode. Salt breaks down the passive oxide layer that normally protects Aluminium alloys.

For a more scientific, in-depth explanation of this corrosive processes known as pitting, you might want to have a look at undergrad corrosion text books.
    As the past owner of 4 landrovers (I mean 'proper' landrovers not chelsea cruisers) I can contest to this. However the problem is really where the alluminium is in contact with other metals lower down in the electrochemical series e.g. iron. In that case the alluminium corrodes in preference to the iron. Bulbing on the doors of landrovers is a very common issue where the door skin is in contact with the steel frame (the fix, before it starts to happen, is flood the inside of the frame with waxoyle so the steel and alluminium/steel contact area isn't exposed to water/air). ISTR there have been of reports where there's been corrosion in the alluminium chassis that lotus use where the steel bolts are used to attach things like the bulkheads.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    As the past owner of 4 landrovers (I mean 'proper' landrovers not chelsea cruisers) I can contest to this. However the problem is really where the alluminium is in contact with other metals lower down in the electrochemical series e.g. iron. In that case the alluminium corrodes in preference to the iron. Bulbing on the doors of landrovers is a very common issue where the door skin is in contact with the steel frame (the fix, before it starts to happen, is flood the inside of the frame with waxoyle so the steel and alluminium/steel contact area isn't exposed to water/air). ISTR there have been of reports where there's been corrosion in the alluminium chassis that lotus use where the steel bolts are used to attach things like the bulkheads.
    This is not happening on inexpensive vehicles is it, I have to expect this to happen on the roof of my VW California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    This is not happening on inexpensive vehicles is it, I have to expect this to happen on the roof of my VW California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had a landrover D90 where it was present after two years! I think the issues reported for Lotus has been on vehicles c. 10 years old:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=788030

Defender 110 once this has been sold

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...n-2010/6728872

Didn't Aston Martin used to use wax paper between frame and body panels, to try and avoid galvanic corrosion?

I've been battling with this over the last few days.

My S2000 is garaged and only comes out when it's not raining.

Over the last few weeks though, there have been some sunny afternoons even though there is grit on the roads. Don't really want to stop driving her until the Spring but concerned about salt corrosion. Presumably, jet washing the underside won't make any difference. I'm not so concerned about the alloys as I can get them coated but thinking of the chassis really. Does anyone have an idea of how much damage can be done / how quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I've been battling with this over the last few days.

My S2000 is garaged and only comes out when it's not raining.

Over the last few weeks though, there have been some sunny afternoons even though there is grit on the roads. Don't really want to stop driving her until the Spring but concerned about salt corrosion. Presumably, jet washing the underside won't make any difference. I'm not so concerned about the alloys as I can get them coated but thinking of the chassis really. Does anyone have an idea of how much damage can be done / how quickly?
    The lack of factory undersealing on the S2000 bothered me, so I took mine to TGM who pressure washed the underside, dried it with compressed air and then undersealed it with something a bit like black Waxoyl (like Waxoyl it doesn't harden, and will self-repair abrasion from stones and scratches). I removed the front and rear bumper assemblies and Waxoyled behind them.

I haven't driven it for a month or so, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    The lack of factory undersealing on the S2000 bothered me, so I took mine to TGM who pressure washed the underside, dried it with compressed air and then undersealed it with something a bit like black Waxoyl (like Waxoyl it doesn't harden, and will self-repair abrasion from stones and scratches). I removed the front and rear bumper assemblies and Waxoyled behind them.

I haven't driven it for a month or so, though.
    Thanks BP.

Edit: Spoke with TGM and might tee up a weekend away while getting the car resealed in the summer.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 26th January 2017 at 17:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Thanks BP.

Edit: Spoke with TGM and might tee up a weekend away while getting the car resealed in the summer.
    Waxoyling is something I used to do every two years on the landrovers. Got it off to a 'T'. Jerry can with 50/50 waxoyle/derv. Tarpaulin on the floor. Drive onto said tarpaulin. Old clothes to be thrown away afterwards. Goggles/mask. Use compressor shultz gun, the kind that takes cartridges that are then topped up from the jerry can mix. I could do the whole chassis inside and out in about an hour - add another 30 mins prep and clearing up. Often used to give the door frames another top up at the same time through pre-drilled holes. Remember to park the landrover afterwards on some scrap land whilst it drips. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Waxoyling is something I used to do every two years on the landrovers. Got it off to a 'T'. Jerry can with 50/50 waxoyle/derv. Tarpaulin on the floor. Drive onto said tarpaulin. Old clothes to be thrown away afterwards. Goggles/mask. Use compressor shultz gun, the kind that takes cartridges that are then topped up from the jerry can mix. I could do the whole chassis inside and out in about an hour - add another 30 mins prep and clearing up. Often used to give the door frames another top up at the same time through pre-drilled holes. Remember to park the landrover afterwards on some scrap land whilst it drips. ;-)
    Sounds do-able, thanks for the tips.

In reality I may get the pros to do it as they'll wire brush the chassis as well. Still, I'm tempted to give it a go...

Blog Entries
    If it's a cherished car or one you intend to keep for a few years, then definitely worth investing in some rust protection/prevention.

I've been meaning to get my 20 year old Landcruiser done for a few years and have been doing some research on this; Waxoyl is widely used, though I believe there are several better products out there now. If you are going down the DIY route you may want to look at Dinitrol as an alternative to Waxoyl.

https://www.dinitroldirect.com/

If you're going to get it done by the professionals, then Buzzweld seem to get good reviews but is more expensive than the Waxoyl/Dinitrol options.

http://www.buzzweld.co.uk/

YMMV. :-)

Lovely Car ;) is it your only car? used daily?
    The problem with cold weather is it makes my car cover fuse itself on the car :D
    I probably take it out once a week, partly due to the fact the GTi (with DSG) is so much easier getting around in London traffic - and as for salt, annoying to clean!
    Yep, I use it pretty much every day. Even when it is -5 when I need to get to work. The key is winter tyres (and heated seats). As you already know, Evoras are simply amazing cars.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Whatever ali corrosion is nothing like the rust suffered by steel cars when subjected to salt. My point was simply that any salt on the road shouldn't be a reason to not drive an Evora during the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by scooobydont View Post

Ah, good ol' 'B is for Build'. We were watching from episode 1 over on thelotusforums. Although it is often 'B is for Bodge', Chris has got a great manner in front of the camera and it is compulsive viewing. I started watching the Evora vids but have subsequently subscribed, bought one of his t-shirts and I'm now looking forward to his 'adding twin turbos to a Mustang' vids. The hours of work that he puts into his cars is outstanding.

Journeyman
    Just realised I dont have my 2.8 widebody that I bought last year on here (the back has since been lowered)

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    If it's a cherished car or one you intend to keep for a few years, then definitely worth investing in some rust protection/prevention.

I've been meaning to get my 20 year old Landcruiser done for a few years and have been doing some research on this; Waxoyl is widely used, though I believe there are several better products out there now. If you are going down the DIY route you may want to look at Dinitrol as an alternative to Waxoyl.

https://www.dinitroldirect.com/

If you're going to get it done by the professionals, then Buzzweld seem to get good reviews but is more expensive than the Waxoyl/Dinitrol options.

http://www.buzzweld.co.uk/

YMMV. :-)
    Thanks. One good tip I've been given is to get it done in summer when the car is completely dry - otherwise you'll be sealing in moisture.

Looks like I've got a couple of months to find the perfect solution (as it were).

Blog Entries
    Most of the (good) pros will steam clean and dry before applying any coatings. They will usually do the work indoors too.

If you're DIY then I would certainly recommend doing it in the Summer.

^oh... so I could get it done now then rather than wait six months. Righto.

This gal is going into it's 11th year, Japanese, but designed and built in the good old UK.... The 1.8 not the thrifty 1.4 and that with Dutch gas prices!

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Got this just before Christmas. It looks completely over the top - but I love it!

ATB

Jon

Great choice! There is a guy who has a blue one and parks next to me in the underground. Every now and again he lets it howl, and when underground you feel like you're in an air raid shelter during the blitz. Real beast!

Blog Entries
    Currently, enjoying 1 diesel and 1 petrol - cannot complain...

Cheers, Peter
    Last edited by ingenioren; 29th January 2017 at 11:53.

Very nice (although not sure about the M power number plate holders), my colleague picks up his X5 40D tomorrow.

You don't see many petrol 6 series, which engine is yours?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Very nice (although not sure about the M power number plate holders), my colleague picks up his X5 40D tomorrow.

You don't see many petrol 6 series, which engine is yours?

It has the twin turbo petrol, very smooth, with a gorgeous exhaust note, in particular in Sport+ mode, (when the entire dash changes format )

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    It has the twin turbo petrol, very smooth, with a gorgeous exhaust note, in particular in Sport+ mode, (when the entire dash changes format )
    Good choice, presumably the 650i?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    One kit car out, one kit car in.😜
    Just a lightly peppier one, at 620bhp per tonne.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    One kit car out, one kit car in.😜
    I'd love a kit car especially a caterham or Westfield but I think I'd struggle to fit in one being over 100 kg, I'm extra chubby 😂

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    I'd love a kit car especially a caterham or Westfield but I think I'd struggle to fit in one being over 100 kg, I'm extra chubby 

The benefit of being a 75kg lightweight!

Master
    One kit car out, one kit car in.
    Very nice 620 Simon, I see you went for the S and not the R, any particular reason? Still that must bite back!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Very nice 620 Simon, I see you went for the S and not the R, any particular reason? Still that must bite back!!
    Hi Paul, 90% road use in France, so a bit more relaxed than the sequential R. However, I shall need to be attentive, as you say!

^^^^^^^^^^^ 100 bhp per tonne here, new (to me) 1.6 MX5 MK2 :

I think the Caterham wins all of the top trumps categories except maybe colour

Cheers
    Chris

Master
    Hi Paul, 90% road use in France, so a bit more relaxed than the sequential R. However, I shall need to be attentive, as you say!
    Hi Simon, Wow what a road car, and you've even got comfy S type seats, much more comfy than my tilletts!
    Enjoy that, looks awesome in that colour to, all the best Paul.

Master
    The benefit of being a 75kg lightweight!
    What did you have before?

Master
    Bought this at the start of January. Wafts me about in comfort with reasonable economy and at least a chance of not causing me a walletectomy from blown turbos or clogged DPF's.