closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Finally got a Speedy Pro! (And too many pictures.)

Craftsman

Finally got a Speedy Pro! (And too many pictures.)

I can't believe I waited this long, what a cracking watch. I bought the new 005 (hesalite) model, which I know some say is expensive, and partly paying for a useless box, but I got it at a very good price from a non-authorised dealer (I can live without the AD £500+ cup of tea!), and the box of goodies does add a bit to the experience. I do think this watch is good value regardless, compared to most other luxury watches anyway. I'm really pleased I went for the hesalite version - the dial is surprisingly clear as a result, although I don't really notice the often talked about "attractive" distortion (which seems about the same as a sapphire box crystal to me). It's well built and nicely finished, fits me beautifully in my opinion and is super comfortable as a result, and so far at least keeps really good time (+5 s/d).

Craftsman
    Great watch and some great photos. I love my Speedy Pro.

Master
    Could do with a few more pics, really :-)

Superb acquisition, you have excellent taste sir. As I've commented here http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...al-Speedy-Pro-) your watch is now crying out for some vintage style leather. The Speedmaster looks so good on these kind of straps, I bet you'll have bought a bucket full of them in a month's time.

Wear it and love it, congrats.

Master
    Hi Andy

Congrats on your purchase of a class watch. Some really nice photos, particularly the macros. Seems like it is pushing all the right buttons.

Regards

Gary

Craftsman

Finally got a Speedy Pro! (And too many pictures.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Could do with a few more pics, really :-)

Superb acquisition, you have excellent taste sir. As I've commented here http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...al-Speedy-Pro-) your watch is now crying out for some vintage style leather. The Speedmaster looks so good on these kind of straps, I bet you'll have bought a bucket full of them in a month's time.

Wear it and love it, congrats.
    Thanks - quite right about the straps, it is a watch I'll have a lot of fun with in that respect. I'm surprised how much I like it on the bracelet (which is near identical to my Grand Seiko bracelets, who copied who?!?) for now though.
    Last edited by BlueIn2Red; 3rd February 2017 at 13:29.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A lovely watch and really good pics. Enjoy :)

ATB

Jon

Journeyman
    Congratulations! Some great macro shots, I reckon the speedy is probably one of the most versatile watches. Looks good on straps, bracelets, natos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyGarton View Post
    Thanks - quite right about the straps, it is a watch I'll have a lot of fun with in that respect. I'm surprised how much I like it on the bracelet (which is near identical to my Grand Seiko bracelet, who copied who?!?) for now though.
    That bracelet design was introduced in late 1996 (with push pins originally) so that may give you something to go on in working out who copied whom.

Craftsman
    Just got the same a few days ago and Im still excited as on day 1 :) Congratulations and wear it in good health :)

Congratulations on your new Speedy.

I noted the differences in the dial between your new model and mine, which is a 77 serial number and from 2007. Omega have clearly upgraded the dials on the new Speedies as your excellent shots show. Your dial is much more "Rolexy" with sharper printing, a glossier finish, smoother and without the concentric rings in the sub dials - forgive the dust on my example below.

I saw one in Laings this morning and loved everything about it except the RRP!

Craftsman
    Amazing photography. I have had several versions of Speedmaster now but not the original black dial, yet. Your photo's make me want to go and buy one.

Nice one, the hesalite model is the one I'd choose if I ever get one.

No direct face-on photos without reflections? (o;

A classic, glad you got yourself one.

Best watch I've ever bought! Congrats!

Craftsman
    Love it!!!

i think my ideal would be a lovely early 90s / late 80s trit dial version!! love the new box, but then I'm a sucker to those sorts of things!!!

P.s. - nice pics

Lovely watch and superb photographs.

Chris

Master
    I think the Classic Speedie pro is the version to have. And, heresy, to my eyes it looks distinctly better than a Daytona. Neater and better spaced....perhaps because of the extra 2mm. Not as well-built. Or water resistant, but what a great watch by any standard.
    If Omega want a really serious special edition...how about re-introducing the old 321 movement.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    No direct face-on photos without reflections? (o;
    The reflections are for artistic effect ... or poor/lazy technique!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I think the Classic Speedie pro is the version to have. And, heresy, to my eyes it looks distinctly better than a Daytona. Neater and better spaced....perhaps because of the extra 2mm. Not as well-built. Or water resistant, but what a great watch by any standard.
    Agreed, although I love my Daytona as well. I have the white dial/steel bezel, so that and the Speedy make a fantastic pair in my opinion.

For 99% of the time, a Speedy is all the watch you'll ever need. You just have to buy lots of straps, as you already know.

Nice photos.

Cracking photos; I finally bought a speedy last summer, mine is a 1968 Cal321 and its a very special piece IMO, worth every penny.
    Keith

Master
    You done the right thing by buying that one.

Mick

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    Cracking photos; I finally bought a speedy last summer, mine is a 1968 Cal321 and its a very special piece IMO, worth every penny.
    Keith
    Just a shame you couldn't afford a new one!

argh why can't they make sure the etched logo is the right way up? I think I would have to ask the AD to look at all of their speedies to find a straight logo :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    argh why can't they make sure the etched logo is the right way up? I think I would have to ask the AD to look at all of their speedies to find a straight logo :)
    Is it really worth an "argh"?!? I have mild OCD, but I reckon I can deal with something I can't see!

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    smoother and without the concentric rings in the sub dials.
    I noticed that. I liked the rings, so it's a shame that bit of dial detail has gone.

Journeyman
    What is hesalite, and what's the difference with the older models? Ta.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I noticed that. I liked the rings, so it's a shame that bit of dial detail has gone.
    Me too, hadn't been aware of that before. While they were at it, it may have been a good idea to correct the fraction seconds marks to match the beat rate of the 1861 too.

Think I'd want those subdial rings though.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You done the right thing by buying that one.

Mick
    He certainly did, a cracker

Just a shame you couldn't afford a new one!
    Yep but I wanted the original buyer to absorb the depreciation.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    This has actually been discussed internally by Omega as I was having a chat with someone about this. They have made a conscious decision to not address this when the watch is put together but they will ensure it is aligned if you ask them when it goes in for work (and if you pop into a boutique with an onsite watch maker they will almost certainly adjust it for you while you wait). I guess at the higher Omega price points this attention to detail may be addressed at the factory stage.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by midgetda View Post
    This has actually been discussed internally by Omega as I was having a chat with someone about this. They have made a conscious decision to not address this when the watch is put together but they will ensure it is aligned if you ask them when it goes in for work (and if you pop into a boutique with an onsite watch maker they will almost certainly adjust it for you while you wait). I guess at the higher Omega price points this attention to detail may be addressed at the factory stage.
    Mine was serviced around 2 years ago and the hesalite was replaced. They got it spot on. I would guess it will depend on the OCD of the person servicing it because I didn't ask for it and the original one was slightly off. But it never bothered me

Great photos of a stunning watch its made me miss my old one evern more enjoy

Master
    Agreed, although I love my Daytona as well. I have the white dial/steel bezel, so that and the Speedy make a fantastic pair in my opinion.
    Agreed. I recently sold my 116520 black dial Daytona, partly because it was a lot of cash to have tied up in one watch, partly because I'm partial to vintage and it looked too new, and partly because it was not easy to read. And now with funds freed up, it's time to go hunting for a 1969 Speedie.

Quote Originally Posted by IMMY77 View Post
    What is hesalite, and what's the difference with the older models? Ta.
    Hesalite is Omega's fancy name for Plastic/acrylic. Each version of the 'moonwatch', of which there are many, has subtle differences. From the print, applied logos, case backs, depth of subdials, bracelets, and ofcourse movement.

Craftsman
    Great photos and a truly stunning watch. The only thing I dislike about threads like these is they can have a tendency to make me reach for my wallet. Think i'm going to have to pick one of these up in the very near future.

Master
    Stunning photos and watch, I will have one one day, congratulations buyer.

Great watch, I keep trying these on but can't decide between this and a base Panerai (I know, very different watches!).

With seeing this one and the one earlier in the week with the various straps I think my decision has been made.

Ross

For me it's the classic chrono and would be the only watch I'd consider if I could splash the RRP on a watch. I'll have one one day and, until then, I'll continue to love my Bulova version:

Untitled by David Douglas

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigstam View Post
    Great watch, I keep trying these on but can't decide between this and a base Panerai (I know, very different watches!).
    Tough choice, I actually bought my first Panerai recently as well:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...adiomir-PAM210

... it's a great watch also, I couldn't choose between it and the Speedy. You'll be delighted with either I'm sure.

Master
    Lovely story in image form. Love the watch have owned 6 in various designs and years ...... do own one now but seriously miss it.

Fantastic photos. I really can't think of a reason not to have one of these!

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Fantastic photos. I really can't think of a reason not to have one of these!
    I can think of about 3340 reasons

I would mention at this point that i may have regrets about when back in `02 i plumped for the triple-date instead of going with my original intent of buying the Speedy Pro (rrp£1440 at the time), but it`s too painful..

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    That must have been the ones!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    2600 if you look carefully enough!

Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    Keith
    If you don't mind me asking where did u purchase from? And what kind of £?

I would love one, but don't think I can afford

Such a great watch. That's definitely one of the great chronos.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribena36 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking where did u purchase from? And what kind of £
    I'd love to know too as I'm in the market for a new one. It's been too long since I had one in the collection!

Craftsman
    Amazing pics. I have my hesalite Speedy Pro on now (a reward for 25 years of hard(ish) labour at my work).