closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which daily wearer that looks like Datejust

Journeyman

Which daily wearer that looks like Datejust

Hi all

I'm looking for a watch that I can wear daily that looks like the Datejust and has a good mechanism. I can't quite afford the real deal but as a bit of a stop gap I would appreciate any pointers. I've looked at Steinhart which seem to really do Sub type watches rather than the more dressy Datejust.

The Seiko SNXJ89 looks quite good but doesn't seem that this available in the UK new.

Would be grateful for any pointers

Thanks

Master
    You haven't mentioned a budget which isn't going to help! If you can get most of the way there the Omega Globemaster looks great. If you're talking about sub 1K then how about the Seiko Cocktail time? If you want Swiss, then Longines have a number of nice dressy watches like the Conquest Heritage.

Journeyman
    Apologies for not mentioning the budget. Ideally would like to spend below £500 if possible, looking for something that isn't too expensive as I plan getting a Rolex or Omega due course

Check out Certina, they do a nice one.

Journeyman
    Any chance of a link or the specific model you recommend?

Have a look at this thread, quite a few options including some nice Seikos:
    Datejustalike........

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...9&share_type=t

Journeyman
    Is something like Seiko SNXG47K (or variations such as SNXS73) on Amazon UK not close enough or are you looking for something a bit better with the fluted bezel?
    Solar options SNE032P1/SNE031P1 may possibly give a similar feel to a Datejust...not sure.
    If budget Seiko appeals then as well as Amazon, "Yorkshire watches" or its sister site "Timemasteruk" may have something you like.

Seiko SARB035

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerMad View Post
    Is something like Seiko SNXG47K (or variations such as SNXS73) on Amazon UK not close enough or are you looking for something a bit better with the fluted bezel?
    Solar options SNE032P1/SNE031P1 may possibly give a similar feel to a Datejust...not sure.
    If budget Seiko appeals then as well as Amazon, "Yorkshire watches" or its sister site "Timemasteruk" may have something you like.
    I guess I'm just looking for something that's maybe a bit more premium and sturdy, although, admittedly I've not ever handled any of the models above hence not sure how they handle and feel

Master
    Tudor have models which are pretty much Datejusts with different branding. You might find some examples within your budget.

Craftsman
    Over budget but not a downward step: sbgx063. That's what I would get. About a 5th of a DJ. Love these.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../SBGX063-1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This might help:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...t-look-a-likes

The most common, in my opinion, are probably the Sandoz and they seem to come up quite regularly (on Ebay, that is, not SC).

Journeyman
    What does everyone think about Hamilton? From my reading Seiko Sarb35/33 and Hamilton watches seem to be very well regarded in the sub £500 price category

Quote Originally Posted by Aleem View Post
    What does everyone think about Hamilton? From my reading Seiko Sarb35/33 and Hamilton watches seem to be very well regarded in the sub £500 price category
    ll

Hamilton are a fantastic brand, one of my favourite brands in fact. Superb quality at prices normal people can afford.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    ll

Hamilton are a fantastic brand, one of my favourite brands in fact. Superb quality at prices normal people can afford.
    I'm not familiar with the Hamilton brand at all, do you have any recommendations on the model to have in a sub £500 category?

Tissot visodate ?

Master
    Bulova do a really nice one. No idea on their availability or pricing mind. I just know it's rather nice looking!

Craftsman
    I know there are mixed feelings about them . . . And you have to wait for the monthly fire sale . . . But Christopher Ward have a few nice looking dress watches.

They also have various coloured dials depending on your preference.

R

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Bulova do a really nice one. No idea on their availability or pricing mind. I just know it's rather nice looking!
    This is what I was about to say.

I've got a day date. Has an eta 2834-2 movement

They do a date only version too. They are very similar visually to the Rolex and seem to be growing into a respected piece these days (well, maybe not from the Rolex owners) the case on the Bulova is a bit more square but they look and feel really nice on the wrist.

Only trouble is really nice examples are a lot of money now.

I think it's the closest thing you could get visually to a datejust to be honest and with an eta, fits the bill.

I suspect the price is the other side of half a grand, but Hamilton does seem a brand available at a wide range of prices, so maybe.... Anyway, the day date caught my eye the other day. Black date wheel, black day wheel, mmm

Case is 40mm, lug to lug a bit under 50mm
    Last edited by Der Amf; 14th February 2017 at 10:16.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    This is what I was about to say.

I've got a day date. Has an eta 2834-2 movement

They do a date only version too. They are very similar visually to the Rolex and seem to be growing into a respected piece these days (well, maybe not from the Rolex owners) the case on the Bulova is a bit more square but they look and feel really nice on the wrist.

Only trouble is really nice examples are a lot of money now.

I think it's the closest thing you could get visually to a datejust to be honest and with an eta, fits the bill.
    This sounds very promising. I'm not at all familiar with the brand, can one buy new or are these vintage? Quick Google search doesn't seem to show much available in the UK

Seiko Sarb033, Seiko sary057 or other similar Seiko from the presage line.

You can also try some Orient Models, e.g. CER1P004D or EV0J003W

or

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    Personally I might go for something that has its own identity and look. There are plenty terrific watches at all price points. Rather enjoy something for what it is than always look a it and remember what it isnt!

The watch I am wearing today is worth 100 times less than the one i wore yesterday yet I am enjoying it in its own way :)
    Any personal favorites that you can share as I'm fairly open minded, I guess I'm looking for a dressier watch but does not need to be a Datejust homage necessarily.

Master

This sounds very promising. I'm not at all familiar with the brand, can one buy new or are these vintage? Quick Google search doesn't seem to show much available in the UK
    One's I'm referring to are going to be used only Aleem.

I think they're pretty cool and keep a look out for others myself.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I suspect the price is the other side of half a grand, but Hamilton does seem a brand available at a wide range of prices, so maybe.... Anyway, the day date caught my eye the other day. Black date wheel, black day wheel, mmm

Case is 40mm, lug to lug a bit under 50mm
    great looking watch, I'm a real sucker for black dials

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    One's I'm referring to are going to be used only Aleem.

I think they're pretty cool and keep a look out for others myself.

Quick question, how come they are only available used and not new?

Master
    I might be wrong but I thought they were only made from 1970 and up to the early 90's.

I'm sure someone knowledgable on the subject will confirm.

There's no reason why you couldn't get one in nice condition, have it serviced and it should be reliable for many years having the ETA movement.

Hi all

I'm looking for a watch that I can wear daily that looks like the Datejust and has a good mechanism. I can't quite afford the real deal but as a bit of a stop gap I would appreciate any pointers. I've looked at Steinhart which seem to really do Sub type watches rather than the more dressy Datejust.

The Seiko SNXJ89 looks quite good but doesn't seem that this available in the UK new.

Would be grateful for any pointers

Thanks
    Any personal favorites that you can share as I'm fairly open minded, I guess I'm looking for a dressier watch but does not need to be a Datejust homage necessarily.

Now I am confused.I thought the whole point of the thread was to identify a Datejust Homage ?

I suppose it depends on whether you take "looks like" to mean as close a replication as possible, or just something in the same vein.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Carrying on the Bulova theme, there's a much earlier version with the lovely ALACD movement, solid water resistance and a solid gold bezel. They clean up a treat and at 38mm are closer to a modern size:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1970-BULOV...QAAOSw65FXqSmZ

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1969-MENS-...EAAOSw5cNYZtsQ

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulova-Wat...YAAOSw~AVYoKda

Although in your situation I'd personally go for either a Certina DS1 or put a bit of effort into finding a nice automatic Omega Geneve, either of which I think is solidly in the same ballpark as the Rolex.

I suppose it depends on whether you take "looks like" to mean as close a replication as possible, or just something in the same vein.

What's the difference ?

Journeyman
    To clarify, I do like the Datejust and it appeals to my taste but I am flexible and willing to consider other options

UHR from Germany made this DateJust for a while - you may be able to find one if you like it on the 2nd hand market. Nice quality for not much money and had a ETA 2824 inside. But those Bulova DD's do look rather attractive!

Craftsman

Which daily wearer that looks like Datejust

The Hamilton Day Date Auto is much classier than the the Bulova and has more of its own character imho. Here's a white face one. If you want a Datejust clone then just wait and buy the real thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tswatch66; 15th February 2017 at 18:31.

^^^ That's lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    ^^^ That's lovely.
    Certainly is!

Craftsman

Steinhart

Gets a thumbs up from me, I bought their GMT look-a-like last year and am very pleased with it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    Gets a thumbs up from me, I bought their GMT look-a-like last year and am very pleased with it.

My phone is being too slow to try look it up but do Steinhart do a DJ-alike? That is very very lovely - where did you get it from? Direct, Chronomaster, other?

Craftsman

I got it

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    My phone is being too slow to try look it up but do Steinhart do a DJ-alike? That is very very lovely - where did you get it from? Direct, Chronomaster, other?
    Direct from Steinhart, not sure exactly what you're after but take a look at the link, good luck with your search.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    Direct from Steinhart, not sure exactly what you're after but take a look at the link, good luck with your search.
    OP is after a date just style watch. Personally I would love a black ceramic ocean 1 GMT

Craftsman
    I'm not sure they do a DJ type model but they do have a nice range.

Quote Originally Posted by tswatch66 View Post
    The Hamilton Day Date Auto is much classier than the the Bulova and has more of its own character imho. Here's a white face one. If you want a Datejust clone then just wait and buy the real thing.

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...2565151-hm-787

In the Jura sale sir, £510 sir, would sir like it gift wrapped sir? Says silver dial rather than white. HTH

ETA ML option in a couple of dial colour variations for £405 (not sure if a good price as they seem to crop up on Secretsales etc at heavy discount).
    https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...-watch-ml-1019
    Last edited by Chicken Pox; 18th February 2017 at 17:00.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...2565151-hm-787

In the Jura sale sir, £510 sir, would sir like it gift wrapped sir? Says silver dial rather than white. HTH

ETA ML option in a couple of dial colour variations for £405 (not sure if a good price as they seem to crop up on Secretsales etc at heavy discount).
    https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...-watch-ml-1019
    Good spot sir!

Blog Entries
    Seiko sary 057
    Like a sarb033 but bit bigger