closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone came to my house with intent to burgle yesterday

Someone came to my house with intent to burgle yesterday

Some scrot came to the house with ill intent and I got a video of him and his mates car in the background. Trouble is I cannot make out the car lurking in the back as it is blurred out. Does anyone here have the ability to look at the video to see if they can identify the car? Thanks in advance.

Craftsman
    Can you post a still shot of it?

Hello

Report it to the Police asap and speak with your neighbours so they are aware.

If there is a Spotted page on Facebook for your area mention it on there and give a description of the vehicle and occupants.

I hope they don't come back.

Regards,

Ben

You need one of those "enhance" buttons from the movies!

Did they try to open anything or were they just snooping around?

Post the vid up, lot of car nuts here so am sure someone will be able to id the make.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Some scrot came to the house with ill intent and I got a video of him and his mates car in the background. Trouble is I cannot make out the car lurking in the back as it is blurred out. Does anyone here have the ability to look at the video to see if they can identify the car? Thanks in advance.
    Where are you located? The police should have a technical team who can use what you've got images wise.

Definitely tell the Police. I'd also put up lots of CCTV signs.

Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    You need one of those "enhance" buttons from the movies!

Did they try to open anything or were they just snooping around?

Apprentice
    Definitely report to the Police - they will search for other CCTV footage in your area

The police were not that interested. They came but said no crime committed. I can email the video to anyone that can help enhance it. I will have to do the detective work myself, they told me to ask the neighbours myself.

I am not sure if they thought the house was empty and I am not sure what they wanted. I have an S8 and golf r on the drive so maybe they wanted one of those.

When I answered the door he span some shit about having a puncture. I quickly shut the door and could see him running off to the waiting car.

Banned
    I bet they are after one of the cars, probably going to break in for the keys.

It wasn't that frikkin' pesky brother in law of yours was it ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    The police were not that interested. They came but said no crime committed. I can email the video to anyone that can help enhance it. I will have to do the detective work myself, they told me to ask the neighbours myself.

I am not sure if they thought the house was empty and I am not sure what they wanted. I have an S8 and golf r on the drive so maybe they wanted one of those.

When I answered the door he span some shit about having a puncture. I quickly shut the door and could see him running off to the waiting car.
    Up here in Scotland there has a very significant upturn in burglaries to domestic premises for the purpose of stealing cars and would suggest thats what they were after.

Police are toiling if not overwhelmed completely to deal with the large number of these crimes. They are committed by organised crime groups and police are unable to take the fight to them for many reasons, not least the criticism of focusing their finite resources on such things. Hence, the crime type proliferates. And intelligence is no longer used appropriately.

Sadly OP your experience is common now across the uk!

That's worrying. I've had similar in my last place....couple of fat kids on a motorbike, one comes to the front door, I answer it and like you he made up something about having the wrong house, but was looking for someone that has a golf GTI so he guessed it was my house. It was clearly bullshit, and he was making it up as he said it, the fact he mentioned the car suggested to me that was the real purpose of the visit.

I got his reg and checked it online and it hadn't been taxed for 6 years....I phoned it through and they said they'd look for them.

Additional security lights were added on top of the new alarm and I bought a disclok....Never had a problem afterwards.

https://motornuts.co.uk/disklok-smal...povList=727081

I was wondering if to leave the keys down stairs. If they come in while we are sleeping at least they won't come upstairs. The house is alarmed at night to all downstairs rooms.

They're probably after the Golf R. If you're on any car forums you've probably seen posts about thefts and attempted thefts. I read a post similar to this only yesterday on a BMW forum.

There are various trains of thought, but personally I would just leave the keys somewhere downstairs. Not on view from the front door, but somewhere they can be got at if they break in.

I shall await the internet warriors telling me that's a silly thing to do, but I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to get into any kind of violent confrontation for a car that's insured - especially if I've just woken up.

I hope it was a one off OP, might be worth investing in a front security light if you don't have one already!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post
    They're probably after the Golf R. If you're on any car forums you've probably seen posts about thefts and attempted thefts. I read a post similar to this only yesterday on a BMW forum.

There are various trains of thought, but personally I would just leave the keys somewhere downstairs. Not on view from the front door, but somewhere they can be got at if they break in.

I shall await the internet warriors telling me that's a silly thing to do, but I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to get into any kind of violent confrontation for a car that's insured - especially if I've just woken up.

I hope it was a one off OP, might be worth investing in a front security light if you don't have one already!
    No arguments from me, an entirely sensible approach. I think I've said the same on here before.

I've got second hand experience of too many people being killed or suffering life changing injuries trying to protect a car.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I reckon I've got a good chance of getting the car. If you don't want to post the video on here, PM me and I'll give you my email address.

This page here is from a few months ago. Plenty of chatter about Golf R cars being targeted:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...t=1629890&i=60

Feel like a sitting target right now just waiting to get done over and with kids in the house I have no idea what to do other than to leave the keys at the bottom of the stairs. I hate the fact I can do nothing. It just accept what is likely to happen and being powerless to stop it happening because of the sodding laws of the land. Very frustrating.

My brother and I caught one in the act back in the 1990's stealing stuff from my washing line and had broken into the garden shed.

Poor bugger...

A neighbour caught a drug addict who broke into his shed and stole a large tin of white paint and two large boxes of washing powder.
    He didn't need to be Sherlock Holmes, the berk had opened the tin of paint in the shed and spilt some on the floor, just followed the white footprints to the bus stop up the road where the druggie was sitting on the boxes of Daz having a smoke, covered in white paint.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    I bet they are after one of the cars, probably going to break in for the keys.
    It does sound like this. A mate of mine had his S3 stollen from his driveway whilst they were asleep upstairs. They broke in, rummaged around until they found the key, then took the car. Nothing else was taken except a bottle of wine.

The car was recovered a few days later - after it had been wrapped around a tree following a high speed chase!

Feel like a sitting target right now just waiting to get done over and with kids in the house I have no idea what to do other than to leave the keys at the bottom of the stairs. I hate the fact I can do nothing. It just accept what is likely to happen and being powerless to stop it happening because of the sodding laws of the land. Very frustrating.
    Is there no where else you can leave the car for a bit? At work? Such a shame you have to even consider this, but it is what it is.

I felt pretty vulnerable at one point and ended up with a panic alarm and police monitored house alarm. Also security lights and a new porch door. I still don't feel great, but what can you do? After reading the posts on that link I left earlier, I won't get a wink of sleep tonight. Not so bothered about myself but my young son and partner who also live here.

I wish you the very best, and I'm sure everything will be fine.

Master
    Re: leaving your keys.

Metal can be replaced, lives can't.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Master

Just make sure you have good gap insurance!

Leave the keys in the back of the door I have always done this and will continue to do so.

I think you may not be insured if you do this.

Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    Just make sure you have good gap insurance!

Leave the keys in the back of the door I have always done this and will continue to do so.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Master
    I think you may not be insured if you do this.
    As long as it's locked you are.

And I would give them half hour head start as I wouldn't want the car back.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    where are you? if your in south london I will come over now with my ban hammer, and yes Im serious.

Seriously?

Hide your keys.

Report this and show the video to the Police.

If you do not have notices stating they are being recorded then post them - fit motion sensor outside lights if you do not have them.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Seriously?

If you do not have notices stating they are being recorded then post them - fit motion sensor outside lights if you do not have them.
    and if you are in London and if you need a spark to fit these, give me a shout, I will get them fitted as a matter of urgency for you, light that place up like the surface of the sun, they are like vampires thiefs, they hate the light

Craftsman
    Leave the keys half way up the stairs. That way if something does happen you have the slight comfort that they were coming to waken you to get them but (hopefully) didn't need to but you also know you haven't gifted them by leaving them on the hall table.

Have you considered getting rid of the Golf? A bit extreme, I know, but what price peace of mind?

Master
    Can you cover it with a heavy-duty car cover or something similar? Anything to make it more awkward to get into. Motion-sensing lights (very bright ones too!) sound like a good idea.

Can you park the two cars such that they block one another in?

Master
    I don't know how effective they are but what about purchasing a wheel clamp that is easily visible? May act as a further deterrent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    I don't know how effective they are but what about purchasing a wheel clamp that is easily visible? May act as a further deterrent.
    Just don't do what most people do and put the keys for it on the same bunch as the car key!!

This page here is from a few months ago. Plenty of chatter about Golf R cars being targeted:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...t=1629890&i=60
    What a great thread!
    Dominating the stairs.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by el marinero View Post
    What a great thread!
    Dominating the stairs.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yeah I read the whole thing from start to finish last night, made me laugh.

That said, I was on the phone to the locksmith at 9am this morning, my window guy at 9:10 and a CCTV installer at 9:30. To say it's made me a little more paranoid would be an understatement.

Craftsman
    we were burgled last year amongst the haul they took my wifes e350 keys insurance was a joke and only covered £500 of the £2500 bill (car had to be recoded parts came from germany car hire etc)oh and my premium went up to boot

Yeah I read the whole thing from start to finish last night, made me laugh.

That said, I was on the phone to the locksmith at 9am this morning, my window guy at 9:10 and a CCTV installer at 9:30. To say it's made me a little more paranoid would be an understatement.
    In my safe room now.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Have you considered getting rid of the Golf? A bit extreme, I know, but what price peace of mind?
    Or maybe digging a hole in your garden and burying yourself in it?

M.

I sympathise OP, we went away to visit my parents for one night last summer - left two cars on the driveway and someone decided to force a side window with a crowbar. Thankfully as soon as they got a limb through the window the house alarm triggered and they scarpered.

I live in the middle of nowhere so by the time a neighbour bothered to see what activated the alarm the person was long gone. The neighbour suspected it was a false alarm anyhow so didn't bother to call me until it had gone off for the third time the following day.

As a result I've installed various deterrents including LED floodlights on PIR sensors around the house and HD CCTV cameras that I can view from my phone/iPad. Hopefully seeing these and the small cctv signs will make any would-be burglar have second thoughts.

As said above, post a still of the car and one of us car nerds can probably identify it.

Master
    Years ago we were getting ready for an early night, still light outside, when I heard a repeated metallic sound that caused me to look out to the drive. After a few seconds a man dressed entirely in black, including balaclava, stood up from behind my 205gti with some bolt cutters and no milk tray. He proceeded to walk away as if nothing had happened.
    I've not owned a sports car since. I have grown up though :).
    In all seriousness, choose keys readily visible if they get inside, choose video recording, choose security lights and Blackpool illuminations, choose the hassle of an insurance claim if you have a desirable motor over confronting a low life nutter with little to lose, choose to remember they're opportunist scum and knowing you've done what you can and they can have it providing they leave you and your family alone. Choose to sell it if it bothers you too much like I did and get something less sporty, you shouldn't have to but fighting reality never ends well. Keep perspective as they'll probably not come back but recognise you can't really influence what idiots decide to do. Choose peace of mind and reliability. Choose middle age mundanity. Choose a Nissan Micra.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Years back you could buy these via an add in the MCN. I thought these were then banned as people were using rock salt cartridges and even shot cartridges.

Blog Entries
    Don't want to sound all 'Tony Martin ' and condone killing or hurting people and this is the reality we are in but it's a near damn disgrace to be facing the prospect that people have to consider 'gifting' their possessions out for the burglar like Father Christmas and his mince pie, carrot and milk .

Up here we're I live the local paper are always advising people to be diligent and keep keys out of view from phishing with hooks and sticks so forth -

But now the idea that some Garbage may turn on pan of water on to scauld us or drag us from beds - I mean what point is enough enough and in the words of Michael Douglas in falling down
    "I'm just standing up for my rights "

An Englishmans home is his castle.

Not any more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Also we had an attempted burglary a year or so ago on my mother in laws house which is cojoined to ours at about 6am in morning -they were booting the bottom square panel through on a upvc back door -
    My wife was up and running after them before I knew what was happening (ill advised I know but she gave no warning) - the rats ran after damaging the door - as the police said if they want something no amount of security will stop them - I disagree-

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Don't want to sound all 'Tony Martin ' and condone killing or hurting people and this is the reality we are in but it's a near damn disgrace to be facing the prospect that people have to consider 'gifting' their possessions out for the burglar like Father Christmas and his mince pie, carrot and milk .

Up here we're I live the local paper are always advising people to be diligent and keep keys out of view from phishing with hooks and sticks so forth -

But now the idea that some Garbage may turn on pan of water on to scauld us or drag us from beds - I mean what point is enough enough and in the words of Michael Douglas in falling down
    "I'm just standing up for my rights "

An Englishmans home is his castle.

Not any more

People often deride the USA but many states there have Castle Law which basically means if anybody invades your home space - watch out!

Personally I feel that intruders should lose all rights the moment they enter someones property.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    People often deride the USA but many states there have Castle Law which basically means if anybody invades your home space - watch out!

Personally I feel that intruders should lose all rights the moment they enter someones property.
    Dangerous game that stance and provides all sorts of opportunities to knock off the neighbour who hacks you off.

The courts need to be harsher therefore there is a deterrent as well as the custody hotels as it seems that if sent away, we now send the criminals to Butlins.

Unfortunately I'm a light sleeper and quiet often jump out of bed in my birthday suit at least twice a month ready to take on the world. In all honestly if I come across someone I'll be screaming like a little girl and would be running away in the opposite direction.

B

Grand Master
    Unless I could garage the car overnight I wouldn't own anything that attracts this sort of attention. It shouldn' t have to be like this but we have to face reality.

Paul