closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rolex owners: are you rich and/or retired?

1) Getting by.
    2) Retired at age 56.

I'm not sure what 'rich' is, but I don't know anyone who would describe themselves as such, no matter how much money they might have.

What is 'rich' these days anyway?

I have 4, and one of them is my daily wearer. I do OK, but am a long time off retiring I expect. I'm 45, but have 4 kids under the age of 11!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    39 and doing okay but not rich.
    If I was a billionaire, I'd still be buying Rolex but would focus on heavy vintage.

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 11th September 2017 at 02:59.

Master
    I'm retired and recently bought my first Rolex, am I rich, no just don't owe anyone anything, oh I am spending the kids inheritance though so maybe Rolex is a safe bet.

Neither.

Grand Master
    I`m 59, retired 7 years ago, definitely not rich, but 'comfortable' as my dad used to put it.

Owned a few Rolexes, still own 3, never buy them new and definitely not a fan of the forum darling current sports models. The plot was lost when the lugs got fat IMO.

Bought my first (second hand) Rolex aged 49 when prices were far more sensible.

Paul

Master
    It's funny how we define rich really.

I'm 46 own a house worth a fair bit of money, without a mortgage and also own enough properties to give me an income of 25k to 30k per annum after wear and tear and maintenance, so yes I could just about retire. Or I could downsize buy a couple of investments properties outright and still find a nice home. Plus sell my stake in my company and with all that I'd have a pretty good lifestyle. However . . . . . .

I have two boys aged 18 and 16 in private schools which is expensive, the oldest will be off to University soon which will cost more, l like nice cars, great holidays and more to the point, like to buy watches.

So I'm rich enough to have a great lifestyle, but not rich enough to keep it up if I retired. However . . . . .

Just over two years ago and after much discussion, my new partner wanted a baby (she's younger and no children), I agreed/relented/changed my mind. Following that a FAILED reversal operation happened, which inVolved a long hospital stay and some permanent damage. Next a long and stressful course of IVF (as that was the only way to get my swimmers out following the op) which ended with a baby Girl 7 months ago. We've had 9 boys on the trott in our family and have no girls.

Despite the stress, pain and permanent damage, the instance I saw my daughter I became the richest man I know.
    Last edited by Devonian; 17th February 2017 at 13:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    It's funny how we define rich really.

I'm 46 own a house worth a fair bit of money, without a mortgage and also own enough properties to give me an income of 25k to 30k per annum after wear and tear and maintenance, so yes I could just about retire. Or I could downsize buy a couple of investments properties outright and still find a nice home. Plus sell my stake in my company and with all that I'd have a pretty good lifestyle. However . . . . . .

I have two boys aged 18 and 16 in private schools which is expensive, the oldest will be off to University soon which will cost more, l like nice cars, great holidays and more to the point, like to buy watches.

So I'm rich enough to have a great lifestyle, but not rich enough to keep it up if I retired. However . . . . .

Just over two years ago and after much discussion, my new partner wanted a baby (she's younger and no children), I agreed/relented/changed my mind. Following that a FAILED reversal operation happened, which inVolved a long hospital stay and some permanent damage. Next a long and stressful course of IVF (as that was the only way to get my swimmers out following the op) which ended with a baby Girl 7 months ago. We've had 9 boys on the trott in our family and have no girls.

Despite the stress, pain and permanent damage, the instance I saw my daughter I became the richest man I know.
    Nice story .

Blog Entries
    I am finding my mates (average mid 60's/early 70's) - have largely Rlx prior retirement, (in particular ex airline captains....) then treat themselves to JLC (in particular Reverso...?) , VC and AP.
    For my part, sold all Rlx and APs and VC, bar one 16622 which will probably vacate soon, and now have a few AP Huitiemes, Blancpains and Omegas, and have found the new in-house Tudors fit the bill nicely.

Cheers, Peter
    Last edited by ingenioren; 17th February 2017 at 13:46.

This kind of study always makes me laugh. It's a typical case of sample bias.

This is not a sample representative of Rolex owners - it is a sample of Rolex owners who own a home in the UK and have elected to take contents insurance.

The fact that so many people are older and retired simply reflects that many customers bought their house long ago when it was affordable. Young people struggle to buy homes in London and therefore generally don't take contents insurance

Apprentice
    I think many people buy what they like regardless of wealth. Take for example the guy in the pic. He is shiekh Mohammad bin Zayed al nahyan. He is the crown prince of the UAE and the actual ruler of the country. Their investment authority is the richest in the world and valued at over 1 trillion dollars. His country has almost 10 % of the worlds oil and as many of you know, it's a dictatorship.

It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say this guy is easily worth more than Bill Gates and Warren Buffet combined. I was watching him on YouTube the other day attend the world governments meeting in Dubai and being a watch nut, I paused to see what kind of watch he is wearing. This guy could easily buy a new Patek every morning, throw it out at the end of the day and keep doing that for the rest of his life and he won't even feel it.

As you can see he is wearing a Breitling Evo night mission. He probably likes the watch as I have seen him wear it quite often. To get back to the discussion, I think many buy what they like regardless of how wealthy the are. Being super rich doesn't mean you automatically have to buy a Patek or whatever. Buy what you like!!!

Master
    I bought my first and only Rolex last year because I was fed up of changing batteries in my Ebel Quartz. Nobody knows I'm wearing it as it's under a cuff all the time but I know I'm wearing it which is the idea really. Retired and comfortable I guess.

Master
    I'm not retired and I'm not rich. I'm not even what could be called financially comfortable. I am irresponsible with money and that's how I'm in the Rolex club.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Odat View Post
    As you can see he is wearing a Breitling Evo night mission. He probably likes the watch as I have seen him wear it quite often. To get back to the discussion, I think many buy what they like regardless of how wealthy the are. Being super rich doesn't mean you automatically have to buy a Patek or whatever. Buy what you like!!!
    I suspect he might have one or two other watches as well

Journeyman
    Neither! I dont believe you have to be one of those things to warrant a Rolex.

Journeyman
    I bought my first Rolex (BLNR) at 24 even though I was driving a Smart car at the time. I lived somewhere with limited parking but still, watches are what I'm most passionate about. Then got a couple more (Daytona, Sea Dweller) but sold them all to start a business. I’m now 26 and the Rolex’s are starting to appear again, currently have a hulk and am on the waiting list for ceramic Daytona, BLNR and the 50th anniversary Sea Dweller, fingers crossed for the red text!

No.
    Yes.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Got my first rolex brand new at 18. Im 32 now, hardly rich, still in the rat race. Ironically the Rolex is probably one of the cheapest watches in my collection now....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Odat View Post
    I think many people buy what they like regardless of wealth. Take for example the guy in the pic. He is shiekh Mohammad bin Zayed al nahyan. He is the crown prince of the UAE and the actual ruler of the country. Their investment authority is the richest in the world and valued at over 1 trillion dollars. His country has almost 10 % of the worlds oil and as many of you know, it's a dictatorship.

It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say this guy is easily worth more than Bill Gates and Warren Buffet combined. I was watching him on YouTube the other day attend the world governments meeting in Dubai and being a watch nut, I paused to see what kind of watch he is wearing. This guy could easily buy a new Patek every morning, throw it out at the end of the day and keep doing that for the rest of his life and he won't even feel it.

Thanks for that. "This guy could easily buy a new Patek every morning, throw it out at the end of the day and keep doing that for the rest of his life and he won't even feel it. " really puts into perspective how insanely wealthy some individuals are!!!

Journeyman
    I don't think you have to be rich/wealthy to OWN a rolex but i think you have to be well off/earning an above average salary to BUY a Rolex (assuming you pay the asking price in 1 go, not get it on credit). I think "rich" is the wrong word here as i associate rich with your Gates, Zuckerbergs, rulers of desert states etc rather than the local property baron of the Home Counties or whizz kid city trader who i'd call well off/doing alright (if they are modest).

So if you wake up one morning and decide you are going to buy a Rolex (or any 5k+ watch) today and pay for it there and then with your own money i'd say you are well off. Especially if you are late teens/early 20's like some previous posters have stated!!
    Of course some people are given or inherit a Rolex which takes me back to my first point that to OWN a Rolex, you don't have to be well off. And some people will have saved the pennies and pounds over years and years to eventually be able to buy a Rolex and these people may class themselves as "just getting by".

But for for most non watch people, someone else wearing a Rolex is rich..full stop.

Depends on your definition of rich I guess?

Most people in the UK are rich compared to the third world.

I don't consider myself rich but I do OK.

I'm not retired.
    Last edited by andy tims; 17th February 2017 at 16:54.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Middle aged and not officially retired, though restarting my consultancy work means the income is less than state pension at the moment! Currently have one but aiming for two in the very near future.

M

Master
    Rich non-WIS buys Rolex. Rich WIS starts with Rolex and then usually branches out into HH and other higher complicated brands.

Bought my first Rolex 15 months or so ago aged 51. It wasn't that I couldn't afford one previously, I'm simply not that keen on most of them and had mainly bought Omega and IWC. I wouldn't consider myself rich (in UK terms) though I'm certainly comfortable and I'm not retired.
    Last edited by Skier; 17th February 2017 at 23:50.

Master
    I'd be loaded if I could stop buying Rolex!

Nice story about Sheikh MBZAN - cool that he wears what he likes.

Master
    I am retired and 68, so I must be a dull boring average Rolex owner.

I am surprised at the survey because in all reality, owning a Rolex can hardly be described as a success symbol. If you give them and average value of say £5k, that's less than an average motorbike and no one raves about them.

First Rolex at 18 when a poor student with generous (not rich) parents.

Far from being retired, and not rich, but I'd be comfortably set if I sold my watch collection.

Recreational diver, always with a Rolex.

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    I'd be comfortably set if I sold my watch collection.

;-)
    proper LoL,

please you survived the quarry jump.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I am 67, not rich and working -retired, and have sold all my expensive watches, including Rolex/Omega etc. I'm sure Rolex would regard me as a failure lol

Craftsman
    Not rich, not retired.

1 Rolex

Craftsman

Rolex owners: are you rich and/or retired?

I am far from rich but working for Audi means I never spend a penny on a car, insurance, fuel etc. So my hard earned goes into watches. I have 6 in the house including my partners 2. I will always have a seadweller wether the collection grows or shrinks as that is my fave of all time and I am one of the few that actually dives with it. And I'm 35.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Franco81; 20th February 2017 at 22:48.

53 retired (recently) and have a Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I don't think you've thought this bit through. Where are you going to take all the super models on holiday?
    I questioned a very rich friend's father on this sort of thing once and he said 'the mere rich rent' about yachts and private jets. He classed himself as 'well off' with a net worth in the mid 8 figures. Life is bonkers when you try and put yourself in other people's position.

For the record, I'm not rich (or well off according to the above) and certainly not retired but I have 2 Rolex.

Craftsman
    Nope. Just willing to spend hard cash on things I enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I bought my first Rolex in my early 20's, on 0% finance from my local AD. I have bought many since then, and at one time I owned 26 of them. I own less than half that amount now.

I still love my Rolex watches and I own more Rolex than any other brand. I would still say Rolex is my favourite brand of watch.

Im not rich, or retired (mid 40's), I only work part time. I do however prioritise my spending on my hobbys and the things I enjoy like holidays.
    Holy F, 26? That's some mighty fine prioritisation.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Gentlemen, this isn't supposed to be a survey!
    Too late. You started it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RBear1981 View Post
    Just willing to spend hard cash on things I enjoy
    And me........

Craftsman
    Not rich or retired (though I'd happily take both) but I am PADI certified.

Journeyman
    neither

Master
    Just about to retire.....at 53, but not rich, just no-one wants old pilots.....

Had my SD since I was 19...but it only cost £270 at the time second hand!

On the hunt for a daily wearer from the same stable. My SD (by luck a DR) is a bit fragile now.

Blog Entries
    Neither, just happened to be a watch geek, now got a Rolex having fought the urge for years

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RBear1981 View Post
    Nope. Just willing to spend hard cash on things I enjoy.

This is surely the point. We are on this earth once, we take nothing with us. So enjoy what you will, while you can. Why not?

Master
    rich, retired.....or stupid.

I was sat in a meeting yesterday and I commented on a new acquaintence's nice SD.......he said "sea dweller?....No, it's a Submariner......had it for years......" I asked to have a closer look. I didn't bother saying anything......it was an SD.

Retirement.....what's that? I'll be lucky if I retire before I'm 70.....no Rolex at the moment. Too expensive now...oh the days of an SD/Sub being £3-4k..............

I'm not even close to either.

My richest friend (low-ish 9 figures, maybe) wears the most appalling watch I've ever seen. It might be by CK. Not sure.

Not rich and nowhere near retired at 50, but I work hard, don't drink, don't smoke and like watches. Currently have three Rolexes but my Deepsea Blue may be going soon as it isn't getting any wear. Will be keeping my Sub C until I croak. It is my do anything and go anywhere watch....

Chris

Journeyman
    2 Rolex

Under 30

Not rich enough

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Thanks for that. "This guy could easily buy a new Patek every morning, throw it out at the end of the day and keep doing that for the rest of his life and he won't even feel it. " really puts into perspective how insanely wealthy some individuals are!!!
    He could actually buy Patek Philippe and not miss the money- let alone buy 'a' Patek Philippe!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    He could actually buy Patek Philippe and not miss the money- let alone buy 'a' Patek Philippe!
    :-)