closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Royal Oak Offshore

Journeyman

Royal Oak Offshore

Good morning, I currently own a Sub Ceramic , my aspirational next watch is a Royal Oak Offshore.
    Wondering if those who have/had both would care to comment ?
    The ROO is circa 3x cost of the sub.
    TIA

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Akajak View Post
    Good morning, I currently own a Sub Ceramic , my aspirational next watch is a Royal Oak Offshore.
    Wondering if those who have/had both would care to comment ?
    The ROO is circa 3x cost of the sub.
    TIA
    Hi, which one are you thinking of going for? There are various offshores, i personally have the Royal Oak Offshore Diver, but there are 42mm Chronograph ROO, 44mm ROO etc. I personally love my diver and I have owned the SUBC, GMTC, etc and for me, the ROO Diver is just superior in every single way. 3 x the cost? its more like 3-5ŁK over...

Journeyman
    Thanks it was the 26170 ST chrono about 6 years old; Watchfinder has it priced at Ł12310 so about twice and a bit more than sub

I have a Sub Ceramic and an AP Diver. Wear them both equally, TBH it all comes down to whether I fancy a rubber strap or a metal bracelet day!!

Personally I found the ROO not very comfortable on the wrist at all- for me it was too top heavy and kept sliding round on my wrist- I'd keep your dollar and stick with the Rolex.....

Journeyman
    Thanks for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    Personally I found the ROO not very comfortable on the wrist at all- for me it was too top heavy and kept sliding round on my wrist- I'd keep your dollar and stick with the Rolex.....
    I found the ROO uncomfortable on the metal bracelet but on the rubber it fits perfectly and I hardly notice it.

The other watches I wear are bigger though.

OP the only way to know is to try one on ;-)

Journeyman
    Yup, sensible idea

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    I found the ROO uncomfortable on the metal bracelet but on the rubber it fits perfectly and I hardly notice it.

The other watches I wear are bigger though.

OP the only way to know is to try one on ;-)
    Agree on the rubber its just so comfortable i literally wear it all day without any fatigue and i have thin wrists and this is a heavy watch!

Also note that the Chronograph is a modular NON inhouse configuration in case that bothers you at this price point.

For me it bothers me so the chrono is out of the question.

Journeyman
    Didn't know that; thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Agree on the rubber its just so comfortable i literally wear it all day without any fatigue and i have thin wrists and this is a heavy watch!

Also note that the Chronograph is a modular NON inhouse configuration in case that bothers you at this price point.

For me it bothers me so the chrono is out of the question.
    Plus the dial looks fussy to me on the chronos. Mega Tappiserie AND sub dials??

One or the other IMO.

No judgement on quality or the style of either watch but in those photos they do look a little too big. Need to be 2mm smaller IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    No judgement on quality or the style of either watch but in those photos they do look a little too big. Need to be 2mm smaller IMHO.
    Yes, the AP looks like something you might have to wear around the ankle.

in those photos they do look a little too big. Need to be 2mm smaller IMHO.
    It's just an accidentally forced perspective. Judging a watch's size from one single photo taken that close up is risky.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    It's just an accidentally forced perspective. Judging a watch's size from one single photo taken that close up is risky.
    I think can live with that level of risk in my life .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using TZ-UK mobile app

I think can live with that level of risk in my life .

Sent from my ONEPLUSONEISTWO using TZ-UK mobile app
    "Risky" was a polite substitute for the word I initially intented

Master
    AP Diver with bracelet is very comfortable imho.
    And it looks great!

Journeyman
    Looks like the ROO has recently been updated including chrono movement
    Three years ago Audemars Piguet gave its bestselling sports chronograph a major overhaul with an in-house movement as well as ceramic buttons and crown. Now a quartet of new models unveiled at SIHH 2017 joins the second generation Royal Oak Offshore Chronograph line-up, including a heavyweight version with a platinum case and bracelet.

The basic models are in stainless steel, starting with the blue on black (ref. 26470ST.OO.A028CR.01). This has a black dial with dark blue chronograph registers, matched with a dark blue chapter ring and alligator strap.
    The new Offshore Chronographs are available from Audemars Piguet retailers and boutiques, with Swiss francs priced excluding taxes as follows.

Steel and black ref. 26470ST.OO.A028CR.01 – SFr23,500

Steel and brown ref. 26470ST.OO.A820CR.01 – SFr24,000

18k yellow gold ref. 26470BA.OO.1000BA.01 – SFr78,000

950 platinum ref. 26470PT.OO.1000PT.01 – SFr122,000

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Akajak View Post
    Looks like the ROO has recently been updated including chrono movement
    Three years ago Audemars Piguet gave its bestselling sports chronograph a major overhaul with an in-house movement as well as ceramic buttons and crown. Now a quartet of new models unveiled at SIHH 2017 joins the second generation Royal Oak Offshore Chronograph line-up, including a heavyweight version with a platinum case and bracelet.

The basic models are in stainless steel, starting with the blue on black (ref. 26470ST.OO.A028CR.01). This has a black dial with dark blue chronograph registers, matched with a dark blue chapter ring and alligator strap.
    The new Offshore Chronographs are available from Audemars Piguet retailers and boutiques, with Swiss francs priced excluding taxes as follows.

Steel and black ref. 26470ST.OO.A028CR.01 – SFr23,500

Steel and brown ref. 26470ST.OO.A820CR.01 – SFr24,000

18k yellow gold ref. 26470BA.OO.1000BA.01 – SFr78,000

950 platinum ref. 26470PT.OO.1000PT.01 – SFr122,000
    Its NOT an inhouse chronograph. It is an inhouse automatic movement with a Dubois-Depraz chrono module, just like the ones the ETA uses.

I have both (both are very comfortable IMHO) but in all honesty if you want a watch to wear daily i would pick the Rolex, as much as i love AP they scratch easily and that might become a problem!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Its NOT an inhouse chronograph. It is an inhouse automatic movement with a Dubois-Depraz chrono module, just like the ones the ETA uses.
    Thanks for clarification

Master
    I have a Rolex 116610 (ceramic sub) and an AP Offshore, but one of the older 38mm models - I wrote about it here.

I'm a big Rolex fan and love my Sub to bits. However if it came down to it the Offshore is the one I'd save. I think it feels head and shoulders above the Sub, really just a beautiful piece of engineering. The bracelet in particular is just awe-inspiring.

I'm personally not a fan of the new 42mm+ Offshores - for anyone with wrists under 7" they look slightly ridiculous. I wish I could love them as I've wanted a black themes for ages, and am in love with how they look on others, but having tried one on again and again I just can't pull it off.

Master
    I'm a big fan of the ROOs, esp the 44s which are a class apart imho. They don't wear much bigger than the 42s and if you have a 7 inch wrist you can wear either. As for close up pics distorting, yes they do, the lugs of this fall within my wrist edges in real life.

Last edited by aksing; 22nd February 2017 at 03:49.

Master
    Another ROO Diver owner here, with regards to how comfortable it is, I wear mine on a sharkskin strap, I find it more comfortable than my old IWC Aquatimer 3290 and a bit less top heavy than the Omega PO 8500. It is a scratch magnet though so I choose my occasion to wear it carefully.

Also check with your insurers how they feel about single items over Ł15k, mine were a nightmare and getting it covered added 3-400 to my policy, thats big a chunk every year.