closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Longines VHP quartz

Longines VHP quartz

What do you think to the new Longines VHP (very high precision) quartz watch range?

https://www.longines.com/novelties/conquest-vhp

Must admit, I do like the new crown guards and the blue face is lovely. No word on prices yet..

Master
    I bought a VHP quartz back in the early 1990s when I knew next to nothing about watches. The main reason I bought it was because it was half price (£475 down from £950 as I recall). I was in Sunderland at the time to meet up with a girlfriend.
    It turned out to be an inspired purchase. Phenomenally accurate, of course, and quite stylish too. It was a gunmetal and gold plated colour, on a bracelet.
    Pleased to find that Longines are resurrecting the VHP range after all these years, though the crown looks odd.

I agree about the crown guards. Otherwise it looks a bit like the last generation conquest, but with 50m wr down from 300m.

Is it a precidrive movement?

Quote Originally Posted by ej86 View Post
    I agree with OP about the crown guards. Otherwise it looks a bit like the last generation conquest, but with 50m wr down from 300m.

Is it a precidrive movement?

Impressive specs but disappointing water resistance. I suppose it's a consequence of the smart crown but the look is too sporty for a 50m WR.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

The movement in this is like the Citizen Chronomaster - very accurate, with a hidden perpetual calendar function.

Hopefully in time they'll put it in a smaller case with less sporty design, as well.

A bit of history and then the watches:

Edit: See end of link for:

Price and availability

The Conquest V.H.P. will be available starting summer 2017, with prices in Swiss francs and Singapore dollars as follows:

Three-hands 41mm – SFr950 or S$1510
    Three-hands 43mm – SFr990 or S$1570

Chronograph 42mm – SFr1550 or S$2460
    Chronograph 44mm – SFr1590 or SS$2530
    Last edited by PickleB; 11th March 2017 at 16:21.

Master
    Finally! I've been waiting for years for a watch with these specs. +/-5 seconds per year, 5 year battery life, perpetual calendar, kind of the Grail of quartz watches. At last a decent Swiss brand is making an effort with quartz. Grand Seiko have been caught napping it seems.

In the looks department though, ok but not heart stopping unfortunately. A choice of two case sizes, both too big unless they've counted the crown guard, at 41 and 44mm. The dials could be classier too. Come on Longines, let's see that movement in a 38mm case and raid the back catalogue for a better dial, something like the Rolex oyster perpetual 39, and you've got a game changing classic on your hands here.

I like it. They seem quite tempting for a decent brand.

Master
    Good news - based on this feature they will be revealing more models at Baselworld. These sizes are aimed at the USA market where larger watches are needed due to their fondness for high fructose corn syrup. Fingers crossed for some more European sized offerings with less garish colour combinations.

Also it sounds like the movement was developed with ETA so perhaps we'll see other brands offering similar choices for the first time in decades. With prices of autos having gone insane of late, it would be good to see a wider selection of high accuracy quartz perpetuals in this price bracket - that is, if other brands dare to offer cheaper watches with such high specs, without intentionally compromising the appearance. I doubt Omega would!
    Last edited by Itsguy; 11th March 2017 at 22:40.

I recall reading that Longines' reputation for high accuracy, especially in conjunction with sporting events, has remained part of their brand awareness, despite the many years, so it makes sense that they're the brand Swatch have selected for this movement.

Journeyman
    I do wonder why so many new watches look like Rolex homages. E.g. Omega globe master and this longines? Oyster bracelets and explorer dials

Oh well, I'm in the minority again - I hate the crown guard!

I like the white 41mm, definitely one for me to consider

In terms of case, crown and bracelet proportions I am reminded of certain Seiko Brightz Phoenix models, now discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Finally! I've been waiting for years for a watch with these specs. +/-5 seconds per year, 5 year battery life, perpetual calendar, kind of the Grail of quartz watches. At last a decent Swiss brand is making an effort with quartz. Grand Seiko have been caught napping it seems.
    Collectively this forum has a blind spot (not you though Itsguy) - Citizen Chronomaster CTQ57- models with the A660 movement.

Quote Originally Posted by messym View Post
    I like the white 41mm, definitely one for me to consider
    Make that 'silvered'...according to the review at post #7.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Collectively this forum has a blind spot (not you though Itsguy) - Citizen Chronomaster CTQ57- models with the A660 movement.
    Yes, I'm aware of it, but to be brutally honest I've been waiting for these specs in a package I actually want. Still waiting! But it seems to be getting warmer.

Looks good, but I wish they'd stop using that annoying crown shape. It's the only thing I really dislike about my Hydroconquest and this one looks identical. Very uncomfortable to use.

Craftsman
    I love it. I'd prefer it at around 36mm though. I'll wait to see if there will be one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spacing on the VHP looks wrong - look at the full-stops.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Spacing on the VHP looks wrong - look at the full-stops.
    And the inability to spell metre would get my goat very quickly too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    A bit of history and then the watches:

*nerd* the UltraQuartz they show has a "ticking" seconds hand, so not the original movement which had a smooth sweeping hand *nerd*. You'd imagine Longines would have an original of the species in their possession? The press shots of their both their vintage movements are rusty with it. Seems a bit sloppy?