closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where would I get a fair price?

Craftsman

Where would I get a fair price?

I want to sell my Zenith El Primero 36,000 to fund another purchase. I am in no particular hurry to sell and I want a fair price - and do not expect a 'full' one (although it would be nice!). As I see it, my options are:

1) eBay - but fees are high
    2) SC - I don't have enough posts
    3) watchfinder - their offer they gave me is on the very low side of life, but I will let it go for that money if I have to

What other avenues should I consider to selling the watch for a fair price? I have deliberately excluded full details of the watch as I do not want to be accused of 'stealth selling'...

You'll probably still be accused due to mentioning the watch model, which is largely irrelevant to the question.
    Beyond what you've already thought of I don't think there is many other decent suggestions that would net you more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I want to sell my Zenith El Primero 36,000 to fund another purchase. I am in no particular hurry to sell and I want a fair price - and do not expect a 'full' one (although it would be nice!). As I see it, my options are:

1) eBay - but fees are high
    2) SC - I don't have enough posts
    3) watchfinder - their offer they gave me is on the very low side of life, but I will let it go for that money if I have to

What other avenues should I consider to selling the watch for a fair price? I have deliberately excluded full details of the watch as I do not want to be accused of 'stealth selling'...
    The advice here tends to be if in no hurry, stick around and contribute to the forum, and then eventually you'll be able to use the SC.

I'd avoid eBay with high value stuff as seller protection isn't alleged to be what it might be.

If buying the new piece from a store you can try and trade in there.

Do Watchfinder have the watch you're after and was their quote for a px or straight sale?
    My last couple of trades with them have been part exchange and I've achieved the same trade in value on my watches as I would have achieved selling on SC.

Im sure someone who knows better will chip in, but Watchfinder seem reasonable to sell to, and there isn't much of a difference between them and SC. Buying is a very different matter....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently had a few quotes from watchfinder and I found them ok, like already said their values were not a million miles from what I would ask on SC

Craftsman
    I was in exactly the same position as you about 6 ~9 months ago.

Watch finders offer was between 1/3rd and 1/2 the eventual price I got, absolutely low ball, which basically means they didn't want it.

I sold mine on Chrono24 but it did take 4 months.

Master
    eBay do have promotional offers from time to time with much lower fees (their fees are outrageous now).
    Gumtree has a few watches on although there's an amazing amount of fakes freely advertised which always strikes me as odd.
    Got any pms yet? ;).

Master
    Chronext offer a commission based sale if you are in no rush, as you say.

Master
    EBay fees should be free to list if you're a private seller, £0.26 to list at a buy it now price if you're a business seller, and final commission of 10% but this reaches a max of £50 even if the watch is a few k.

Quote Originally Posted by Evanssprky View Post
    EBay fees should be free to list if you're a private seller, £0.26 to list at a buy it now price if you're a business seller, and final commission of 10% but this reaches a max of £50 even if the watch is a few k.
    I think the cap now is £250

Master
    I've seen a few jewellers that will sell for commission - could work will if it sells at the 'shop window price'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    I've seen a few jewellers that will sell for commission - could work will if it sells at the 'shop window price'.
    This. I've done this previously and got more than I was asking in SC.

Hi, I have had some success at bumping up the offer price made by WatchFinder, but I would recommend actually ringing up and speaking to someone. Emails tend to be ignored on the basis you may just cave in and accept their low offer!

Craftsman
    If you're dead set against eBay and you know the watch you want to purchase I'd do as others have suggested and see if they would accept a p/x.

Well the sales post is out there now so im sure the inbox's will come soon lol. I recently sold a sarb 033 through shpock it did take a while to sell, i had interest from abroad but it was 8 weeks before i had a FTF with the buyer.

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by antojohno View Post
    Well the sales post is out there now so im sure the inbox's will come soon lol. I recently sold a sarb 033 through shpock it did take a while to sell, i had interest from abroad but it was 8 weeks before i had a FTF with the buyer.
    First time I've heard of anyone using Shpock and for a watch no less! I wouldn't have even thought to go there.

To be honest it was a random idea when my neice was talking about it, so she put it on there and then on her account.
    I wasnt keen with the idea of selling on ebay (no access post in SC) and i wasn't in any rush to sell the watch really.
    The buyer seemed to know his stuff, it was a brief exchange but he mentioned the fact it was japanese domestic market only and knew steinhart when i mentioned replacing the sarb with one. I half expected to see it on here. :)

Journeyman
    I'm going with chronext for the commission sale, they suggested a very fair price, although that's an option I'd only suggest if you're in no rush to sell it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    First time I've heard of anyone using Shpock and for a watch no less! I wouldn't have even thought to go there.
    Never even heard of shpock! Must be getting old:-)

Craftsman
    Thought about a commission sale, but apparently they ship the watch off to Germany? What happens if the company goes under or if they are robbed again? I expect they are insured, etc, but it makes me feel uncomfortable giving somebody my watch until it is sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodofaggins View Post
    I'm going with chronext for the commission sale, they suggested a very fair price, although that's an option I'd only suggest if you're in no rush to sell it.

Journeyman
    Thought about a commission sale, but apparently they ship the watch off to Germany? What happens if the company goes under or if they are robbed again? I expect they are insured, etc, but it makes me feel uncomfortable giving somebody my watch until it is sold.
    Yes, mine was shipped off to Germany for awhile for their watchmaker's inspection, but they remained contactable throughout that duration and it's now up on their website. You could consider dropping them an email voicing your concerns and see what they say?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim63 View Post
    Hi, I have had some success at bumping up the offer price made by WatchFinder, but I would recommend actually ringing up and speaking to someone. Emails tend to be ignored on the basis yaou may just cave in and accept their low offer!

Tried asking them to bump up the offer this afternoon, they promptly but politely declined.

I am seriously considering hanging on to it...
    Last edited by Indio; 14th March 2017 at 06:31.

Never even heard of shpock! Must be getting old:-)
    I hadn't until my niece mentioned it, i still wouldnt know where to start as the only time i layed eyes on it was when she first uploaded the pictures of the watch.

Tried asking them to bump up the offer this afternoon, they promptly but politely declined.

I am seriously considering hanging on to it...
    I would hang on, enjoy the forum and the watch for a bit longer and decide what you really want to replace it with, before you know it you will be able to list it here and possibly trade it for what you want

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think the cap now is £250
    Still £50. Sold my aqua terra last Sunday for £1100, and £50 was the fee.