closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Expanding a jumper

Craftsman

Expanding a jumper

Hello,

I'd like to ask if there is a possibility of expanding my machine-washable merino jumper? I don't know if I got bigger of the jumper shrunk, but it certainly doesn't fit like it did when I bought it not so long ago (wore it even less).
    Maybe it sounds to be a stupid question, but tought if it can shrink it may also somehow expand?
    Thanks

PMSL...
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Jancik View Post
    Hello,

I'd like to ask if there is a possibility of expanding my machine-washable merino jumper? I don't know if I got bigger of the jumper shrunk, but it certainly doesn't fit like it did when I bought it not so long ago (wore it even less).
    Maybe it sounds to be a stupid question, but tought if it can shrink it may also somehow expand?
    Thanks
    Send it to me....I'll expand it for you

You've ruined it. Sorry. Wool is wool which is why there's a wool setting on that machine most TZ-UKer's haven't heard of, the washing machine. Sorry. You could try a very, very light iron and lay it flat on a rug to stretch if it will.

Soak the jumper thoroughly in cold water, attach one side of it to a fixed concrete/metal post and attach the other side to the back of a car. Pull away slowly until you can feel resistance. Apply the handbrake. Leave to stand for 30 minutes and hey presto… a bigger jumper

Master
    There are a bunch of methods on the internet.

My experience, they don't work. Had to send the lot to the charity shop. Cheap washing machiness are cheap for a reason :(

Stick it on the SC (there is a bull market atm for second-hand mans clothes, bar Medium or Small sizes, naturally) and buy a new one? Even better if it has some sort of patina, ppl will bite your hand off..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Evidently hair conditioner can relax wool fibres so maybe give that a go??

How about going on an 800 calorie a day diet until you have shrunk enough to ensure a perfect fit?

If you inadvertently lose too much weight simply put the jumper in the washing machine on a boil wash in order to reduce it in size to your new compact dimensions.

As I wear a lot of Merino, no, sorry, there's no way back.

This won't sound manly, but merino is a doddle as long as you wash it at 30, use non-bio detergent, and dry it flat. My ex-housekeeper destroyed a base layer by hanging it up wet, it stretched to buggery. Maybe that answers your question

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    How about going on an 800 calorie a day diet until you have shrunk enough to ensure a perfect fit?

If you inadvertently lose too much weight simply put the jumper in the washing machine on a boil wash in order to reduce it in size to your new compact dimensions.
    ...and repeat until you match the jumper size

I collect items like Guernseys and Arran jumpers and would never ever wash them in a machine. I always wash them by hand, with some almond oil in the final rinse and that way my Merino ones keep that nice springy softness for years and never shrink.

Never let a woman loose on decent jumpers either, unless they knit and then they may have some respect for real wool..

Ha!

I see what you did there

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

Craftsman
    Well, I'm glad I made your day, gentlemen :-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    As I wear a lot of Merino, no, sorry, there's no way back.

This won't sound manly, but merino is a doddle as long as you wash it at 30, use non-bio detergent, and dry it flat. My ex-housekeeper destroyed a base layer by hanging it up wet, it stretched to buggery. Maybe that answers your question

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Worth a try before handing it over to the nearest charity shop

Urgh, this has just happened to me too after I forgot about the wool setting on the machine and washed on delicate instead. Silly mistake. After I realised my mistake I tried to stretch it out whilst still wet, helped a little but didn't quite work still far too small.

I did come across a blog post about this service for £29 by Cashmere Care Service, they do merino wool as well and can stretch your jumper. If your jumper is valuable/a favourite it might be worth giving it a go. I'll try a couple of other bits of internet advice first and if that doesn't work I'll probably give them a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Ha!

I see what you did there
    +1
    Like your work, M.