closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite Basel 2017 releases?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Fair enough. That Hodinkee article is gushing to the point of sycophancy over a decidedly average looking watch. It has been suggested that this indicates that there will be Hodinkee Omega LE at some point this year hence their pushing of the brand despite the watch in question's obvious shortcomings.
    Good point, i agree on both points. It's a super averag watch which to me isn't VFM at all and 2) hodinkee will have something limited that's for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blancpain mil spec diver for me

Master
    Now the dust has settled, it's the Nomos Club 38 Campus Nacht that has emerged as the one new release I could actually buy. In theory it's the cheap starter watch for the kids but it's far too classy for that. The Cali dial will be marmite for some, but it's really grown on me, it's stylish but quirky and not too serious. You don't get their new movement to admire through a display back but the price makes it very tempting. And there's always the slightly more grown up 37mm Club Neomatik Atlantik if the lug length, solid case back, Cali dial and movement are an issue, though it is twice the price.

The other stand-outs for me are the Longines VHP movement, but not the watch itself, and the GS rebranding which on balance does improve the look. Their reissue looks good but I can't see it happening at that price. Not a great year for Omega for me, the Speedy Tuesday was more exciting than the Basel releases, and not so exciting at Rolex unless the Skydweller is your thing. Overall the Nomos is unexpected winner for me.

Joking aside, it's probably this new AT for me:

In a very unrealistic world... the Patel 5320G is just amazing. Love everything about it!

I also really like the Blancpain triubute to mil-spec.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Now the dust has settled, it's the Nomos Club 38 Campus Nacht that has emerged as the one new release I could actually buy. In theory it's the cheap starter watch for the kids but it's far too classy for that. The Cali dial will be marmite for some, but it's really grown on me, it's stylish but quirky and not too serious. You don't get their new movement to admire through a display back but the price makes it very tempting. And there's always the slightly more grown up 37mm Club Neomatik Atlantik if the lug length, solid case back, Cali dial and movement are an issue, though it is twice the price.

The other stand-outs for me are the Longines VHP movement, but not the watch itself, and the GS rebranding which on balance does improve the look. Their reissue looks good but I can't see it happening at that price. Not a great year for Omega for me, the Speedy Tuesday was more exciting than the Basel releases, and not so exciting at Rolex unless the Skydweller is your thing. Overall the Nomos is unexpected winner for me.
    I normally like Nomos' offerings but that top one with the Roman numerals and standard number combination looks a bit of a dog's dinner !

On topic, from Basel, the only watch I probably will buy is the Tudor BB Chrono with the in-house movement that most others seem to dislike. It is ok value at RRP but will wait a bit to see if prices go down.

Blog Entries
    I hope to get a few real-world pictures tomorrow when I get to Basel. May not be able to get too close to the big brands though.

Martyn

One of the more understated new Rolex out this year looks very nice, 41mm DateJust with grey dial, smooth bezel and jubilee...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gc52 View Post
    I normally like Nomos' offerings but that top one with the Roman numerals and standard number combination looks a bit of a dog's dinner !

On topic, from Basel, the only watch I probably will buy is the Tudor BB Chrono with the in-house movement that most others seem to dislike. It is ok value at RRP but will wait a bit to see if prices go down.
    Well I did say the Cali dial would be a marmite feature but having looked at the RRP (£1100 vs e.g. £2850 for a Minimatik Nachtblau), I've decided I really like it!

Ps Forgot an honourable mention for the Tudor BB steel, and the DJ in the previous post does look nice, but I still think 41mm is excessive for a DJ personally.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    One of the more understated new Rolex out this year looks very nice, 41mm DateJust with grey dial, smooth bezel and jubilee...

I went to have a look at how the dial options relate to the others for the DJ41 - there aren't as many combinations available as you might think. In fact each of the five dial options - ignoring the gem-set dials - has one, set bezel/bracelet combination:

Rhodium - Smooth bezel, Jubilee bracelet
    Black - Smooth bezel, Oyster bracelet
    White - Smooth bezel, Oyster bracelet
    Silver - Fluted bezel, Jubilee bracelet
    Blue - Fluted bezel, Oyster bracelet

Nothing we is not impressed.
    Old was better for me.

Master
    It seems the new Longines Record was released without anyone really noticing, perhaps it's too simple and classic to make a fuss about. Nonetheless I've been wondering out loud for a while why it's so hard to find an affordable Calatrava alternative from a reasonably presentable brand, there's always something that puts you off. But I can't find much to dislike about this one. Apart from the brown strap, but that's easily fixed. The best bit is that they appear to be available in a range of sizes including 38.5mm and 40mm. I'm stunned to see a brand realising that there is a difference between those two sizes, and indeed it really might make all the difference as for some a 40mm can just be that step too far, especially in a dress watch. It adds to the wave of 38mm-ish releases that's one of the more pleasing features of Baselworld this year. I don't know if it will set pulses racing to be honest, but it's rare to get these things right. Now how about putting their VHP movement in this case?!

Journeyman
    Having little to spend on watches, the Nomos club campus range jumped out at me too, glad I'm not the only one to notice them. Reservations about the inverted california dial aside, I think it's a good watch at an entry price level and I have emailed them to see whether a sapphire caseback is an option on this model, as it is for other 38mm clubs.

The neomatik is obviously more desirable in terms of dial and movement but I cannot justify over double the price of the campus at this point in time.
    Last edited by faken; 29th March 2017 at 23:56.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by faken View Post
    Having little to spend on watches, the Nomos club campus range jumped out at me too, glad I'm not the only one to notice them. Reservations about the inverted california dial aside, I think it's a good watch at an entry price level and I have emailed them to see whether a sapphire caseback is an option on this model, as it is for other 38mm clubs.

The neomatik is obviously more desirable in terms of dial and movement but I cannot justify over double the price of the campus at this point in time.
    Great, do report back on what you find out. I'd be surprised if they'd fit a display back as then it would be far too good a deal! A Nomos at this price is extremely tempting, and it's a far from dull one too, leaving aside the movement and based on the style alone, I'd pick it over some of the pricier models. Though it is in part the display back that sells a Nomos, turning over that apparently simple Bauhaus watch and seeing the exquisitely decorated movement on the reverse.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 30th March 2017 at 10:12.

Beat Haldimann has just brought out stainless steel versions of his H11 and H12 (2 and 3 handers). For me these are the stars of Baselworld - though not cheap! http://quillandpad.com/2017/03/29/be...-wristwatches/

Last edited by WatchIng; 30th March 2017 at 10:21.

Master
    I was was viewing the 'Watchuseek' blog and they criticised the steel Skydweller as Rolex letting-down their wealthier customers, who bought PM Skydwellers and now find the model offered to a far wider audience. Their argument was that the result was to slowly undermine Rolex as a higher end brand , because upper-end buyers would not trust them.
    That hadn't occurred to me, but is there some truth in it? And am I alone in finding the Skydweller an over-sized unattractive watch? I like the Moonphase...although very costly...and the simple 41mm Date-Just Which is lovely._
    Best...the simple 'classic',Grand Seikos. True class, although the dive watches are too big and too costly for my taste. And the Moser.....worth drooling over.
    Last edited by paskinner; 30th March 2017 at 10:41.

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    Very keen on this, silver panda dial, WG, and on oysterflex.

Yes that is very nice.

Master

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Ah the B&Rs - great sizes (there's that 38.5mm again for the basic one). The diver looks really attractive, though 100m seems pretty modest for a diver, even my Aqua Terra Quartz can handle 150m. I guess most divers are worn for fashion but there's no need to rub our noses in it!

I want this. It's perfect.

Craftsman
    Well I did say the Cali dial would be a marmite feature but having looked at the RRP (£1100 vs e.g. £2850 for a Minimatik Nachtblau), I've decided I really like it!

Ps Forgot an honourable mention for the Tudor BB steel, and the DJ in the previous post does look nice, but I still think 41mm is excessive for a DJ personally.
    Too true - I LOVE the Cali dial..... very tempted by this or the bright red club.

I actually like the Blue Sky-Dweller

Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    Beat Haldimann has just brought out stainless steel versions of his H11 and H12 (2 and 3 handers). For me these are the stars of Baselworld - though not cheap! http://quillandpad.com/2017/03/29/be...-wristwatches/

Perfection.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    I want this. It's perfect.

Magical - love it

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Perfection.

Agreed - this is my favourite of the show, just pipping the one above

Master
    These have been pretty poorly received in a lot of threads I have seen but the non limited edition version of the new Railmaster really appeals to me, particularly the silver dial version!

https://monochrome-watches.com/omega...ld-2017-price/

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    I like that one, but I'd like it a lot more of the date wheels matched the dial. It's too jarring as is.
    I'm with you.

Like the whole look off the dial.

Apprentice

I think that's quite something, in an understated sort of way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    These have been pretty poorly received in a lot of threads I have seen but the non limited edition version of the new Railmaster really appeals to me, particularly the silver dial version!

I have to agree.
    I wasn't sure when i first saw it, but that silver dialled version is lovely

I know the diameter is 40mm, but has anyone seen a thickness for this? Solid caseback might be indicative of an attempt to make it thin, taking advantage of the lack of applied indices on the dial.

That piece linked to is bizarre, it talks about the large dial, when the front-on view is not undominated by the combination of the bezel and rehaut.

Totally agree, this silver dial RM grabbed my attention and this is the best picture of it I've seen - Interesting dial and a fully brushed bracelet - love it. Think the disappointment others have shown is they wanted basically the old RM with the new movement and not something this different. Have a feeling this will be a lot more popular once people get to try them in person.

Have to say I do also like the new white dialled AT.

the texture of the dial, i.e. Vertical striping looks very nice but the printed numbers looks plain and the vintage aged lume looks 'naff'!

much prefer the previous version with thicker white lume

Apprentice
    I do like new 41mm Datejust with new movement (can't imagine yet, how does it wear on wrist, but I think not worse then my Milgauss). Also new Railmaster with gray dial is beautiful, but no way I'm going to pay 5000 usd/eur etc for so called entry level Omega, with printed dialand no screw down crown. That's a complete madness or new reality, that Railmaster will cost 5000.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UKWatchGuy View Post
    the texture of the dial, i.e. Vertical striping looks very nice but the printed numbers looks plain and the vintage aged lume looks 'naff'!

much prefer the previous version with thicker white lume
    Agreed, I'm afraid to me that looks like three different quite nice watches fighting over the same dial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thorec View Post

Missed this one... very nice. Elegant in fact.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thorec View Post

A beautiful looking watch. Love the shape of the hands.
    I was not aware of these before looking at Jocke's Basel report.

Journeyman
    Great, do report back on what you find out. I'd be surprised if they'd fit a display back as then it would be far too good a deal! A Nomos at this price is extremely tempting, and it's a far from dull one too, leaving aside the movement and based on the style alone, I'd pick it over some of the pricier models. Though it is in part the display back that sells a Nomos, turning over that apparently simple Bauhaus watch and seeing the exquisitely decorated movement on the reverse.
    Itsguy I saw you mention the next step up is the minimatik at £2850 but I would say it is in fact another new release, the club neomatik found here for £2350, so not such a big jump vs the possible price of the campus with caseback (~£1300):

http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watche...stal-back.html

Here's the response on the availability of a club campus with caseback for anyone interested:

Dear ...

Your inquiry is quite timely. Due to popular demand, it has very recently been decided to offer the Club Campus with a sapphire display back as well (it was originally intended to be available only with a stainless steel back).

The wheels are now turning, and should have this variant visible online any day now, at which point one could place a pre-order. We are currently estimating/anticipating the delivery time to for the Club Campus with display back to be two or three weeks. When they appear online however, you will see a more concrete delivery time listed.

Greetings from the NOMOS Store
    Last edited by faken; 31st March 2017 at 13:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by faken View Post
    Here's the response on the availability of a club campus with caseback for anyone interested:

Dear ...
    Thanks for reporting back, that's excellent news. And yes, the next step up is indeed £2350 and very nice too, though that is more that twice the price of the Campus. A sapphire case back could be the clincher, provided I can cope with the lug length - let's see how much they ask for it as an option.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    A beautiful looking watch. Love the shape of the hands.
    I was not aware of these before looking at Jocke's Basel report.
    A real beauty. I love the bubble-style crystal, but it's possible even better from the back:

After reading all the Basel reports, the one watch I like that falls in my price range is this from Monta:

I sent them an email about it and they are working on a bracelet for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The blue skydweller is certainly one of the best releases.
    The other one that is really growing on me is the Konstantin Chaykin Joker. Then I found out the price, and got even more interested !
    I was expecting a lot more than €6,990 tbh!!!
    Ok it's an ETA movement and a 'fun' piece but the amount of creativity in the design/execution I think is superb. Along with that it's a 99 piece limited edition means you are not going to see many people with one :)

http://watchesbysjx.com/2017/03/russ...kin-joker.html

Craftsman
    For me it's the pp 5170p. That model with the blue sunburst dial and the diamond markers just looks awesome. Now just have to find the means of getting it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs up for the 5170P from me too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I was was viewing the 'Watchuseek' blog and they criticised the steel Skydweller as Rolex letting-down their wealthier customers, who bought PM Skydwellers and now find the model offered to a far wider audience. Their argument was that the result was to slowly undermine Rolex as a higher end brand , because upper-end buyers would not trust them.
    That hadn't occurred to me, but is there some truth in it?
    It's funny you say that because that's what I thought immediately. Doesn't bother me as I quite like the blue but if I already had one I'm not sure I'd be happy with these new offerings.

You could say though it's kind of like the way the world is going with many brands - BMW, Mercedes and Audi for example have all all bought up smaller and lower cost cars over the last decade. Has it affected their branding? Not sure, not for me. Sales have rocketed though.

This though is why I cannot see a Pepsi GMT at any time in the near future due to the BLRO sales and owners. Wo8ld be far too similar, far more than these sky dwellers.

Your favourite Basel 2017 releases?

Whilst I really like Tudor as a brand/concept, I think they've lost direction a bit of late, especially this year at Basel. Disappointed to see nothing more for the North Flag range (I like the current watch other than the yellow highlight colour, and think a GMT/24hr complication would be nice). The chronograph was a missed opportunity regarding design, hopefully the movement will find its way into the Heritage Chrono, which I love other than for the tiny date window.

Now the SS Daytona has the ceramic bezel in order to differentiate itself from what I'm about to suggest, I think all Tudor needed to do was to do a re-issue/new version of the Big Block chronographs, without the cyclops. This would a) have looked much better b) have avoided use of the 'Black Bay' name/identity, as that should be specifically for divers watches, which this Chrono doesn't really strike me as.

Maybe they will do another reference of it which takes my fancy more.

The Black Bay Date looks nice enough in fairness, but the gold and steel version didn't convince.

I actually quite like two-tone, I think both TT and yellow gold in general is 'coming back' and I understand that the very reason behind Tudor's existence is to provide a less expensive watch than a Rolex, but I think that if they can't use solid gold within the price bracket they want for Tudor, they shouldn't use any gold. There's something rather unsatisfactory and impermanent about gold capping/plating etc.

The Black Bay 41 looks awful IMO, but I think the 36 doesn't look great either. I'd much rather they give the Ranger the new movement and a nice 36-38mm case option instead.

I think there's been enough said about the other brands tbh, although it was odd to see them discontinue the 40mm Seadweller, but I have gone on about that in another thread and don't want to sound like a broken record...

ETA: all that and I haven't actually said what my favourite at Basel was... I love the new Skydweller (and especially the new price) but think it's probably too big for me, so I'll go with the really nice new non-LE Railmaster, which should be quite good value, as long as it doesn't wear too big.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 1st April 2017 at 10:30.

Your favourite Basel 2017 releases?

Double post

Covering the cheaper end of the spectrum

Junghans Meister pilot chrono

Hamilton Ventura

Seiko Cocktail time

Also shouts out to the Hamilton Intramatic chrono, silver Sinn 356.

Enjoyed some of the other offerings including a lot of the Omega output, the new Autiva, Frederique Constant Flyback chrono, some of the new Longines but most of those aren't the cheaper end of the spectrum!

oh, knew I'd missed something - the new Oris options and the new Alpina startimer pilot watch (at less than a grand)

Journeyman
    My favourites this year were perhaps the Grand Seiko "reissues" and the new Nomos Club Neomatiks. That the Grand Seikos were absolutely mesmerizing was nothing new to me, as I've been ogling their offerings before and even owned a couple in the past. The Clubs were a stranger thing, though. In the past, I've really liked some other offerings from Nomos, namely the Metro, Minimatik, the new Tetra... but never the Club, which has seemed kind of "chubby" and unattractive. All of the sudden, the new Clubs with new colour schemes seem really lovely in their fun, eccentric way. Nothing has changed with their case shapes, or even size to that matter, but nonetheless they seem so fresh and interesting now! I don't know what has hit me :D

Am strongly considering buying this model.

The Club Campus is my favourite Basel release as well. I'm no fan of display casebacks, nor of the extra case height, so I ordered the standard 36mm yesterday.