closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watchmaster.com problems with purchase :(

Craftsman

Watchmaster.com problems with purchase :(

I hope your Friday is going better than mine! Unfortunately work is being difficult today, and Watchmaster are messing with my "chakra".

In summary:

- Ordered "New" 2017 Sea dweller 4000 Ceramic from their website at well under list on the day of the Baselworld release
    - Pays the moneys
    - Await delivery from Berlin

So I receive an email today that my order will be delayed by two weeks (Further than the 10 days expected dispatch time already given) because the guy who placed the order on their end, ordered the watch from Rolex, rather than from stock. To be clear, I wanted a "new" 2017 model to celebrate the birth year of my boy born in January.

So they are saying that they "...depend on delivery on behalf of Rolex. However by this we can ensure that you either receive a Sea-Dweller especially made for you or one with a really short storage period after being produced". To be fair, they are giving me a fairly solid statement that I will get a watch, only delayed.

Now this makes me suspicious in a couple of ways:

- When I ordered the Sea Dweller, the particular model (As far as we are aware) had already been discontinued. How is it feasible that they ordered this from Rolex? Would Rolex not have refused the order? I would feel pretty special (And very surprised) if Rolex made an SD4K just for me, after discontinuation.
    - Therefore the other option is for them to try and hunt out a new 2017 model in someone's safe somewhere - and I would imagine that now that the model is discontinued, that if they try to buy from the market they will be selling me the watch at a loss - given that prices are now are around/above list.

So, somewhat cynically, it could be the case that the statement "depend on delivery of Rolex" is the start of a long drawn out process of delays while they scramble around to try and find me a watch. Possibly delay things so much that they push to get me to accept a refund. I might be able to get them to change the order to a BLNR, if they are prepared to drop the price to match what I paid for the SD4K but ideally I'd like to hang on to the order for the SD4K.

Place your bets now please. How do we think this will shape up? I have emailed and phoned up about the problem, but they aren't returning either. Not a great start.

M.

Craftsman
    Update is that they have read my mail about the likely circumstances and they are saying that a two week wait for an update might result in still not being able to get hold of a watch. Poosticks.

I have enquired as to whether to get a BLNR for the same money (Which would be over list) that I paid for the SD.

Gutted, feeling a bit deflated.

They want you to cancel your order and place it again at their updated price. That's my bet.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    They want you to cancel your order and place it again at their updated price. That's my bet.
    On the phone they seemed quite reasonable and honest to be fair - I wasn't pushed to get a refund on it. But yes, there's a good chance that this is true.

Basically we can all agree that it's their cock up - keen to see whether this gets resolved peacefully and Watchmaster turn out to be a good place to deal with. Things go wrong sometimes - it depends on how they deal with it.

Craftsman
    I would hold out for an SD4K for a few weeks at least - it's up to them to honour the deal and is your preferred model. You might even be able to negotiate a reduction on a watch that has been in storage
    You can switch to a batman at any time as they are still in production.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Sadly, this firm is under no meaningful obligation....they can simply return your money. Rolex stopped supplying this model months ago, and what they told you about 'ordering' one doesn't seem to make sense.
    And people say buying 'grey' is better then using a proper AD. Not to me it isn't, life is too short for this sort of run around. As you said, it ruins the day! I just can't be bothered .
    Anyway, hope you find one, a lovely watch. Stupid me sold mine a few months ago. Daft.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Sadly, this firm is under no meaningful obligation....they can simply return your money. Rolex stopped supplying this model months ago, and what they told you about 'ordering' one doesn't seem to make sense.
    And people say buying 'grey' is better then using a proper AD. Not to me it isn't, life is too short for this sort of run around. As you said, it ruins the day! I just can't be bothered .
    Anyway, hope you find one, a lovely watch. Stupid me sold mine a few months ago. Daft.
    Yes I think the trick is not get all shirty with them. It was a pleasant enough conversation. I would have preferred not to go grey, but obviously the opportunity presented itself. But yep weekend definitely ruined - first world problems! More information to come on Monday hopefully.

Poor experience. Hopefully they right their wrong and it works out for you. Sounds fishy re ordering the new one.

They should have been on top of what was happening in the market, it being discontinued and the rumour of a new model. They advertised and sold the model to you despite baselworld and I would hold them to account.

Master
    Some people don't like Watchmaster.com because they think the company uses misleading comparison prices (well above actual RRP or market values) as inducements to convince unwary clients to buy. Have a look at these four and see if you agree :

Haywood

Master
    Above is very dodgy practice, I wouldn't trust this type of person, ain't they got no used cars to clock and flog?

Not familiar with them so just had a quick look at their website and saw this:

https://www.watchmaster.com/en/omega...ode=SQ7JBTN278

Not the most expensive watch but if a dealer is happy to sell a watch with an "aftermarket" (FAKE) bezel and in their blurb shout: Authenticity CERTIFIED.... either they or dishonest or don't know what they are doing.
    What do they lubricate with during 'service'? WD40?

Either way, the kind of outfit I would avoid.

Craftsman
    I wasn't impressed by them at all and didn't use them in the end preferring to see what I was buying.

Was after a polar 16570 and they had (and still have) three listed, but when you changed the date to look at each the photos stayed the same.

I was told the photo of a dial marked "Swiss" was from 2003 and that the watch from 2013 mysteriously couldn't be photographed as it was in the safe.

This was all after several email threads and phone calls.

I hope the OP's issues are resolved.

Just for some balance I have bought and sold several watches from Watchmaster over the last 18 months and been generally very pleased with the service. Appreciate OP is not having the best experience and I hope it gets resolved but overall they are a decent outfit in my experience

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by matts View Post
    I wasn't impressed by them at all and didn't use them in the end preferring to see what I was buying.

Was after a polar 16570 and they had (and still have) three listed, but when you changed the date to look at each the photos stayed the same.

I was told the photo of a dial marked "Swiss" was from 2003 and that the watch from 2013 mysteriously couldn't be photographed as it was in the safe.

This was all after several email threads and phone calls.

I hope the OP's issues are resolved.
    I messaged them about the same thing for a 16570, they were telling me that the pics are from the actual watches, so I told them that the pics don't change when I change the date options of the watch, subsequently they changed the scenario that is financially impossible to take a photo of all the watches they have.. so I ditched them and cant be bothered visiting their website again.

As for the SD, my advice is to wait a bit longer since you 've paid them, it might worth the effort.

Good luck,
    Evangelos

Craftsman
    Thanks to everyone who responded so far. I will take the advice to push for the SD4Kc and wait the two weeks as indeed, it is still my preferred option and that's what I paid for. I have emailed them so will see what they come back with. You never know, they might come up with the goods!

Craftsman

Angry I'm dealing with them on a problem too!

Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    Thanks to everyone who responded so far. I will take the advice to push for the SD4Kc and wait the two weeks as indeed, it is still my preferred option and that's what I paid for. I have emailed them so will see what they come back with. You never know, they might come up with the goods!
    If they send you anything, make sure you get what you ordered!

I bought what was guaranteed to me to be a UK AD supplied (with box and papers and some plastics still attached) "Mint" 2016 Sea Dweller........ Anyway, I was quite annoyed when an Italian supplied & papers watch arrived fitted with a completely wrong ceramic bezel (from a Submariner not a Sea Dweller). To be fair, they are being courteous and acknowledge their errors and are dealing with the problem, but at time of writing the issue is not resolved. I hope to report a happy outcome soon.
    Last edited by tom waring; 4th April 2017 at 12:04.

Craftsman
    Sadly, i've had this done to me in the past - place an order, prices go sky high, my order canceled as "its cannot be fulfilled" then the same site has them in stock at well over RRP.

Poor poor sales tactics!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyRoses View Post
    Sadly, i've had this done to me in the past - place an order, prices go sky high, my order canceled as "its cannot be fulfilled" then the same site has them in stock at well over RRP.

Poor poor sales tactics!
    Was this with www.watchmaster.com ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Was this with www.watchmaster.com ?
    Another watch site :/

Master
    Deal only with people you can trust, not the cheapest. The sheer hassle described in this thread tells its own story. A reliable dealer is your key asset . Same with most expensive consumer goods.
    There are no 'free' lunches.
    Incidentally, just bought my first watch from Sales Corner, great experience.
    Last edited by paskinner; 4th April 2017 at 14:06.

Craftsman
    So the news is in...and it's not good. No Sea Dweller to be received. Grrr.

Have notified them about my request for the BLNR, but depending on what they do on price this might be a non-starter.

In summary, not good from watchmaster.com - buy with care.

Craftsman
    Sorry to hear about that. Still working with them on my issue. Will keep you posted.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post
    Sorry to hear about that. Still working with them on my issue. Will keep you posted.

Cheers, keep us up to date. Will let everyone know what happens with the BLNR.

Craftsman
    So their response was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by watchmaster.com

Dear Michael,

Thank you for the pleasant call we had this afternoon.

Unfortunately the news are not getting better. I talked to my pricing team and am facing the problem, that both watches you ordered are so highly demanded due to being out produced or due to lower production.
    The same applies to the 116710 BLNR. This one is already so lowed price that the margin mainly covers the shipping cost from the concessionaire and to the customer.

I do not have to explain you this but I would really like you to understand that my hands are tied though I would like to offer you more discount.
    The only discount I can give you now is 30 GBP, therefore at a final price of 7630 GBP. This fact I can moderate with a watch winder I would like to offer you on top.

I regret very much that I cannot tell you better news.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Have a good night, Michael.
    £30 discount?!

So the response I have put together is all together more direct, but I'm tempted not to give them the offer of a refund because they will then just break out of the contract and that'll be that.

Having said that, the issues Tom Waring was having means it probably would be sensible to get my money back ASAP!

Lesson learnt?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Lesson learnt?
    Not helpful. Move along please.

Not helpful. Move along please.
    But he has a point. Are you going to let them keep your money until they find something for you in a few weeks/months/years? It isn't going to happen.

Get out now and don't look back

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    But he has a point. Are you going to let them keep your money until they find something for you in a few weeks/months/years? It isn't going to happen.

Get out now and don't look back
    Well I agree with your more eloquent response - my email to them is of these lines already and have decided to get out.

I took his response to be a dig at those who try to use grey end up being stung, and this frankly shouldn't be the case. We are consumers who have a right to a certain level of professionalism. If this wasn't his point, then more than two words would have been a better contribution.

Master
    Some other unhappy customers : https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=449579

Is this the same Watchmaster ? https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/...s-E1158721.htm ...revealing comments, perhaps.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 5th April 2017 at 00:17.

Craftsman
    Some other unhappy customers : https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=449579

Is this the same Watchmaster ? https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/...s-E1158721.htm ...revealing comments, perhaps.
    Thanks - I'll be adding my comments on their too.

And yes - same company logo. However I try to ignore glass door as it just tends to be full of angry people haha.
    Last edited by mjgerrard; 5th April 2017 at 00:24.

The very fact they don't supply pictures of the actual watches you'd be buying is highly suspect for a start. Get your money back and move on.

Craftsman
    I can understand the OPs frustration, I would very disappointed!! Their response is an insult.
    I would also pull my money out asap and keep an eye on their website to see if the watch pops up in the near future.
    All in all it sounds like this is a dealer to stay away from.

Some people don't like Watchmaster.com because they think the company uses misleading comparison prices (well above actual RRP or market values) as inducements to convince unwary clients to buy. Have a look at these four and see if you agree :Haywood
    Meh, If you're buying a £6k watch I would hope that people would be doing their research first!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Meh, If you're buying a £6k watch I would hope that people would be doing their research first!
    Meh, as someone who daily sees the over-priced rubbish that the majority have bought precisely because they haven't done any research, you might judge misleading price statements as the Advertising Standards Authority, the NAJ, the NPA and I do.

H

Craftsman
    I am sorry about that, their email is annoying, I was always thinking that they are dodgy and unfortunately it seems that I am confirmed. The 30GBP discount shouts: 'take your money back', I reckon these people try to annoy you, cant explain it otherwise am afraid.. and maybe this is what you should do since they re not planning to fulfill any contract with you plus it costs 0 to them to just keep your money until you ll decide to withdraw.

The only good point is that you let us know so we 'll try avoid them in the future.

Sorry once again.

Evangelos

Craftsman
    So I requested a refund and sent a bit of a shirty email about the experience and the low ball offer on the BLNR. I then received a rather mardy phone call from one of the head executives about how the BLNR is in demand and the £30 is the best they can do and they won't make a loss on it. Given the problems they have had here, it was just a bit silly really. But either way we ended the call on happy notes, and my refund will be processed.

The Glass door comments about "Run by investors" are seemingly true - the investors were mentioned multiple times on the call and how they would not be able to adjust the pricing on the other model. Profit it seems, comes before all else, including customer service and reputation.

So I will chalk this one for experience, and hopefully others will too.

Journeyman
    Looks like it's very hard these days to find a watch outfit with a strong customer focus.
    Money is coming in so easely

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidermonkey View Post
    Looks like it's very hard these days to find a watch outfit with a strong customer focus.
    Money is coming in so easely
    Especially seen as now I have £7k burning a hole in my pocket. Well, if I ever see the money from the refund anyway. This is the bit I hope they get right.

Craftsman

Angry My battle continues.......

I bought a 2016 Sea Dweller from them - as previously mentioned earlier in this Thread.

They sent a lovely watch - except it was fitted with a Submariner bezel! Plus it was an Italian supplied piece not the UK AD supplied piece they promised me when I bought it..................

Still negotiating a remedy.

Craftsman
    Keeping a keen eye on your posts Tom - I will put a £ on that they refund you.

Apprentice
    If it's any consolation I received mine today from watchbuyersuk. Perfect condition for 6500GBP. June 2015. Still got a years warranty remaining.

Craftsman
    Keeping a keen eye on your posts Tom - I will put a £ on that they refund you.
    Hopefully there's a simple solution: They've already acknowledged their need to order a new bezel. So, let them. All they have to do is order a new bezel from Rolex Germany and send it on to me. Then I can get it swapped over here by Rolex St. James's and then I will send the wrong bezel back to Watchmaster. Simples! Or so it should be...... Should be no need for Watchmaster to touch it again. I'm not interested in being messed about and for them to take it back to re-sell my watch at a much higher price.
    If they won't sort it out that way then there's definitely something fishy going on. Stolen/or some other issue they're scared of? Either way, 10 mins at Rolex St. James's will show up any other issues.
    You would think they would be uber-keen to sort it out.....

Apprentice
    Hopefully there's a simple solution: They've already acknowledged their need to order a new bezel. So, let them. All they have to do is order a new bezel from Rolex Germany and send it on to me. Then I can get it swapped over here by Rolex St. James's and then I will send the wrong bezel back to Watchmaster. Simples! Or so it should be...... Should be no need for Watchmaster to touch it again. I'm not interested in being messed about and for them to take it back to re-sell my watch at a much higher price.
    If they won't sort it out that way then there's definitely something fishy going on. Stolen/or some other issue they're scared of? Either way, 10 mins at Rolex St. James's will show up any other issues.

Ordering a new bezel without the old one will be a no go.

Master

I'd be surprised of an RSC would swap an incorrect bezel out for the right one, and then let you walk out with the old one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Ordering a new bezel without the old one will be a no go.
    Well our German friends have got a real problem then! Mine has a SubC bezel on it so it renders the 'old for new' equation pretty impossible!
    Rolex here are happy to supply me a bezel. I've talked through the situation with them. It's obviously at retail punter price so the Germans should (theoretically) get one cheaper over there.
    Hassle I didn't need, though!

Craftsman

Watchmaster.com problems with purchase :(

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    I'd be surprised of an RSC would swap an incorrect bezel out for the right one, and then let you walk out with the old one.
    If it is a genuine Rolex Subc bezel and just a sloppy workshop error by the sellers, there's no problem. If it is a fake Subc bezel then yes - probably a big problem! Getting interesting!

Last edited by tom waring; 5th April 2017 at 19:10.

Master
    If it is a genuine Rolex Subc bezel and just a sloppy workshop error by the sellers, there's no problem. If it is a fake Subc bezel then yes - probably a big problem! Getting interesting!

Another potential wrinkle. There were a very small number of two tone black dial Rolex Subs that escaped the factory with gold filled SD bezels! I've seen only one for sale, so they're incredibly rare but they are out there and authentic. Yours could have been a legitimate error by Rolex.

Apprentice
    Well our German friends have got a real problem then! Mine has a SubC bezel on it so it renders the 'old for new' equation pretty impossible!
    Rolex here are happy to supply me a bezel. I've talked through the situation with them. It's obviously at retail punter price so the Germans should (theoretically) get one cheaper over there.
    Hassle I didn't need, though!

Who is "Rolex here"? West Malling or St James'?
    I'm surprised.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Another potential wrinkle. There were a very small number of two tone black dial Rolex Subs that escaped the factory with gold filled SD bezels! I've seen only one for sale, so they're incredibly rare but they are out there and authentic. Yours could have been a legitimate error by Rolex.
    Yuk.
    Last edited by Airborne; 5th April 2017 at 19:23.