closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help me to ID and value this orange monster please

Help me to ID and value this orange monster please

Hi All,

I've dug out this almost mint Seiko and I'm at a loss as to remember where I bought it or even when other than it was a good while ago.

The case back is marked 'stainless steel 7S26-0350' followed by the letters AO in an oblong box.
    It has 15 links including both end links plus a flip out extension link.
    It's unmarked. I remember wearing it only once.
    I do have the box and papers as I bought it new but can't find them ATM. The box may contain more links ?

I'm going to put it up for sale but I would really like some advice as to which version and generation it is, it's model number and it's approximate value (assume no box and papers)
    There seems to be a massive range of different sale prices on the completed auctions on eBay which I usually use as a guide.

Thanks in anticipation.

Last edited by london lad; 6th April 2017 at 16:43.

The 7S26 is the movement, which makes it a Mark 1. It should have rectangular hour markers, and the 7S26 is non-hacking, automatic only (doesn't hand-wind).

Other than that, is there a serial number on the case back? I can't remember when the first generation Monster came out, but it was only replaced two or three years ago.

All of which probably doesn't tell you anything that you don't already know. Sorry.

I would probably pay £100-£150 for one of these depending on condition, but as you say prices can vary a lot. I think it would do better on eBay than on here, where it's a fairly common-or-garden item and everybody who wants one probably already has one.

Woops forgot the photos!

It is non hacking and has no manual wind. serial number is 6747XX

Thank you both.

SKX781 I think

I'd agree with the above post £100ish

Im "monster-less" at the moment!

Ive had a black a blue and an orange one before though!

Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    SKX781 I think

I'd agree with the above post £100ish

Ah that looks like it. Thank you all

Master
    Yep, I sold an SKX781K1 on here a while back for £95. I actually prefer it to the later hacking model, the crown is chunkier and the bigger gnurls match the bezel aesthetic better.

The SKX781 is from July 2006, the first digit is the year, the second the month ( they had discontinued it before 2016 ;) )

I have a 2012 one, and I think as long as it runs well, the value is £140-150 on the original bracelet. On Z20 rubber about £90-95.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by helidoc; 6th April 2017 at 18:51.

It's a Seiko Monster.

If I remember correctly, that used to be mine.

I sold you it late 2013 for, if I remember, £65.

Really!! Good god my brains going. Doesn't ring any bells but it would explain why I can't remember where I bought it. I was starting to think I had bought it overseas on holiday. I only remember ever owning one so if I did buy one from you this is it! Did it have a box ?

Quote Originally Posted by london lad View Post
    Really!! Good god my brains going. Doesn't ring any bells but it would explain why I can't remember where I bought it. I was starting to think I had bought it overseas on holiday. I only remember ever owning one so if I did buy one from you this is it! Did it have a box ?
    Yes, boxes, cushion, tags etc.

I'll give you your £65 back for it so you haven't lost out.....

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    the value is £140-150 on the original bracelet.
    I quite agree, and if you manage to find the box and papers you could get closer to £200, the good Gen 1s are in demand. A bit like with the SKX007 and SKX009, prices seemed to have crepped up in the last 1-2 years. These watches used to be such a bargain, now they feel a bit more like they are priced where they should be.
    The gen 1 is my favourite in terms of design compared to the later versions - although the handwinding and hack are a nice additions on the gen2 with the 4R36 movement.

Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    The gen 1 is my favourite in terms of design compared to the later versions - although the handwinding and hack are a nice additions on the gen2 with the 4R36 movement.
    Same for me, so I've a Gen1 dial & hands with a Gen2 movement

Nice Ed, best of both world!

Master
    Prices on the Orange Gen 1 Monster have crept up to the £200 mark, and now difficult to find for sale, £100 back in the day, but doubt you'll see one even close to that price now.

The original monster has increased in price in Japan. I have receipts for the black and orange ones I bought new in Tokyo in 2012 for ¥14,700 each, on bracelet. About £120 then and now. Today, NIB examples (if you can find them) are on offer for ¥100,000+

Years ago I wrote that the Monster was the only truly original dive watch created in the last twenty years, and to get one while you can.

Of course, I ignored my own advice and sold mine (at least one on here I think). Then I bought them all over again. Then sold them. I'm back with one original Monster (black dial), plus one of the new 6R15 ones now. If I'm not an incurable idiot, I'll keep these. More meanderings on this subject on my infrequent blog http://porlm.com/watches/seiko-monsters/

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post

Years ago I wrote that the Monster was the only truly original dive watch created in the last twenty years, and to get one while you can.
    I agree (maybe Sinn U1 too), and mine aren't going anywhere

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by helidoc; 7th April 2017 at 08:29.

The original black was what got me into the hobby, I did my PADI in the early 2000s and one of the other students was wearing one, did some Googling and found the forums. ( my first TZ username was 'new scuba' in fact) Thanks Seiko, thanks a lot.
    Cheers..
    Jase