closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stock and Shares ISA's.

Stock and Shares ISA's.

I know this has been discussed previously, however I was wondering whether any one had any recommendations, HL always seems to get good reviews however I was wondering whether there are any others (Nutmeg?) worth looking at.

The objective is to drop £20K in a fund and then give it my son in 10 years (as a reminder to leave home)

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Sorry nothing to add as I'm in the same predicament. Currently have a Cash ISA, and want to add this tax year's allowance to it, but investigating alternatives and one that caught my eye was MoneyFarm;

https://www.moneyfarm.com/uk/isa/

due to it's managed approach as I wouldn't know what to invest in!

Does anyone have any experience of them?

Just commenced with Old Mutual Wealth on advice from an advisor (obviously!). Too early to comment of course by a previous one returned about 7% annual.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I know this has been discussed previously, however I was wondering whether any one had any recommendations, HL always seems to get good reviews however I was wondering whether there are any others (Nutmeg?) worth looking at.

The objective is to drop £20K in a fund and then give it my son in 10 years (as a reminder to leave home)
    I'm sure you've considered dropping it on a BNIB Nautilus or 6263 Daytona. Would probably yield high returns also!

Moved to these guys a couple of years ago. Been happy with the service and fees

http://www.iweb-sharedealing.co.uk/s...aling-home.asp

Master
    Cost-wise, the 'Telegraph' publishes these comparisons quite regularly:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing...to-buy-an-isa/

HL are very good, but expensive, and their marketing team is relentless... I like BestInvest, particularly for their research, though they are also quite dear (I haggled them down).

Blog Entries
    - the charges on tracker funds are less than managed funds so consider that in any equations - crystal balls would be handy as well. Stock markets in for one helava ride I reckon though. Time for a re-adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by Spidermonkey View Post
    I'm sure you've considered dropping it on a BNIB Nautilus or 6263 Daytona. Would probably yield high returns also!
    I have thought about it - lots of times, however you only reap the dividend IF you actually sell it.

And thats the rub, hence looking for something with no emotional attachment

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    I'm still using HL for both my ISA and SIPP. Keep saying I'll move due to the 0.45% fee but the ease of use coupled with my laziness is costing me a few hundred quid a year!

I was gong through the same last week. Followed moneysavingexperts advice and used cavendish to open a fidelity U.K. Index Tracker fund. Very low charges. A bit later I put a lump sum into a S&P us index tracker

Followed warren buffets advice to his wife of putting all his assets into index tracker as they pretty much always out perform managed funds when you take into account the charges.

I just don't have the time , knowledge or inclination to do individual shares myself.

fidelity are very good as they have loads of products and you can compare funds with fancy graphs and stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff chaps, what sort of returns are you currently getting?

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    http://www.fiveraday.co.uk/about/

interesting proposition with reasonable charges

As I'm only a couple of weeks in a bit pointless at the moment!

I also use FundingCircle and am getting about 6-7% at the moment. Its very easy to set up and their iphone app is great.
    If you are not sure it basically crowd lending where you lend from £20-£60 to businesses. They are credit rated on risk so you can chose where to put your money. Returns are higher on higher risk but more chance of faulting. But seeing as you are only exposed to a small amount across a lot of companes the odd fault isnt bad and part of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Good stuff chaps, what sort of returns are you currently getting?

For tracker funds I rather like Vanguard LifeStrategy and take the bond / equity mix that best meets your risk profile.

For P2P Lending ... personally I think that will be the next "mis-selling" scandal and look up Turkey Investments

If I were at the start of my investing life I'd definitely use a robo-advisor, like Nutmeg, as my core savings vehicle, either in SIPP or ISA. I had a quick look at it last night, and if you choose the (slightly costlier) active management option you will get some element of rebalancing, which means you can pretty much forget about it. It's also possible to invest for particular life events, which could be handy. Risk level 6 or 7 looked very sensible to me for a younger punter and the funds chosen looked nice and low cost. The only real downside I could see was that charges are relatively high when the invested sum is small.

Otherwise, a monthly investment in a worldwide tracker ETF (with an income orientation, but acc units) and possibly one of the retirement dated ones, and/or the Blackrock Consensus product would be my choice if I were starting out now. As others have said, diversification and low charges are the way to go. Personally I'd give peer-to-peer a wide berth - and I do - but I know nothing, as they say....

Master
    I have an ISA with HL, split across a few of their multi-manager funds and it returned 13% growth last year. Can't remember the fees, maybe £20?

Been using HL for years.

No interest in trackers, I like specific managers and have followed a few over time with very good results.

Giles Hargreave of Marlborough has been solid for a good while now. Richard Pease (Crux) is another. Everybody seems to be crowding into Woodford but I think he's lost it TBH.

To make proper money you have to have plenty of time, and the interest, to study markets.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    I use HL purely because the website seemed so much easier to use, this was 4 years ago though.

Unless your putting in large sums of money (£100K +), the difference in fee's are much of a muchness as far as i remember and just pick for ease of use.

I opened a nutmeg account a couple of week ago as they were doing a £200 cashback offer. Nice and easy to use and setup, easy to choose a risk profile and the app seems pretty good. I've used HL in the past but nutmeg seems easier to use in my opinion.