closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Talk to me about the Rolex Yachtmaster Rhodium Dial

Craftsman

Talk to me about the Rolex Yachtmaster Rhodium Dial

Hey all,

As some will have noted, I've not been having much joy with picking up a Rolex that "moves me". My Seadweller purchase from Watchmaster didn't go so well, and I'm still on achingly long waiting lists for the BLNR. 1st world problems hey!

So after a little trip with the other half to Worcester the other weekend I Eagle-eyed a 40mm Yachtmaster Rhodium dial in the window of an AD and was fairly smitten. Not enough that it became a "must have" straight away, and unfortunately I was in too much of a hurry (Due to parking running out no less!) to go in and have a try on. I'm not a fan of the platinum or blue dialled variants, but this one does seem a little bit special. Full price £8500 RRP.

So for you owners out there, and to the throng of course, what are your thoughts?

- The first thing that springs to mind is that I have caught wind that they do lose a lot of value. "Commercial suicide" was a term used by one member somewhere. I've never actually flipped any of my watches before but knowing that the resale isn't there might make me hold out for a different model. Iconic Watches has one for £8k - would you buy at that, or wait for others at lower prices?

- Another point on pricing, it seems that this is both a Sports Rolex but has an element of Precious Metal. Any joy on getting discount from an AD on this model? Did I happen upon this watch in the window somewhat randomly (IE is it rare) or is stock fairly abundant?

- Would you buy one as your "first" Rolex. Now a lot of people would say "Buy what you like!" and you'd be right of course, but it does seem that most buyers I've come across have bought this model after having a Sub/GMT et al. first.

- Would you entertain the 37mm version over the 40mm if you had smaller wrists?

Finally, gratuitous picture from the Internets so that everyone can have a look at what we're dealing with here:

Thanks all!

Michael.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I briefly owned the platinum dial 40mm variant and it was a thing of beauty. The main problem for me and my aging eyes was I couldn't read it in some lights because there wasn't sufficient contrast between hands and face. It looks as though the contrast is greater on this variant (though pics can be deceptive) and if that's the case, it is a functional thing of beauty!

ATB

Jon

PS I bought and sold via the Forum - I wouldn't have paid full price as the depreciation would have been steep
    Last edited by JonRA; 18th April 2017 at 17:21.

Try another brand maybe - there are many and they may have something that better suits you. Unless you're just trying to make yourself like a model of rolex so you can have the brand displayed on your wrist...

Master
    How small is your wrist? I wear 40mm Rolex references on a sub-6.5 inch wrist.

The YM doesn't hold value super well, but it's not terrible either. However, resale on the smaller version definitely would be bad. It's essentially a women's watch, and women don't generally want to buy used watches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Try another brand maybe - there are many and they may have something that better suits you. Unless you're just trying to make yourself like a model of rolex so you can have the brand displayed on your wrist...
    I went through the usual cycle of Rolex enthusiasm. Hated them at first, owned lots of other brands, started to build an appreciation for them, and now love the look of them. My Omega's and other watches will still get ample wear, and wearing a Rolex just because of the name isn't really my thing.

It is worth making the point though that the YM doesn't half the heritage of a lot of other models. Probably why the resale values aren't as strong. It's about weighing up heritage (And the fact that every man and his dog has a Sub or a GMT) vs nice to be different, and wearing something that you don't have that nagging feeling that you should have bought something else.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    How small is your wrist? I wear 40mm Rolex references on a sub-6.5 inch wrist.

The YM doesn't hold value super well, but it's not terrible either. However, resale on the smaller version definitely would be bad. It's essentially a women's watch, and women don't generally want to buy used watches.
    Interesting point. I'm around 6.5 and my 42mm Speedy is at about my limit. Just interesting that this model is offered in 37mm but most other sports models aren't.

Master
    A ridiculous beautiful model, o actually prefer this one over the blue. BUT as you and others alluded to, it doesn't keep value as well so if you were to sell it might be painful unless you get it at the right price or second hand. I don't think there are many pre owned about. I have never seen this in the wild, so watch and Rolex guys would give u plenty of respect if you went for this over the mainstream

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    Interesting point. I'm around 6.5 and my 42mm Speedy is at about my limit. Just interesting that this model is offered in 37mm but most other sports models aren't.
    Funny enough, I'm wearing my Speedy Pro today which is also the largest watch I could possibly wear (I guess, that and my similarly sized 2500PO 42mm).

The YM is offered in a 37mm size because the line isn't a strong seller, and they want to sell it to women to generate demand. Rolex watches, especially rotating bezel models, tend to wear small because the dial isn't large. I expect that the 37mm would wear tiny compared to your Speedy. The Speedy has a large dial for it's size. I think you'd be perfectly fine with the 40mm YM.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post

PS I bought and sold via the Forum - I wouldn't have paid full price as the depreciation would have been steep
    Cheers Jon. I might sleep on this and have a think and put a WTB on the SC. The trouble is, knowing my luck, I'd get a call for a BLNR an hour after the sale lol. I'd still be happy with the YM, but would certainly make me question as to whether I should have waited! Depends on the price of the YM I suppose.

Craftsman
    Funny enough, I'm wearing my Speedy Pro today which is also the largest watch I could possibly wear (I guess, that and my similarly sized 2500PO 42mm).

The YM is offered in a 37mm size because the line isn't a strong seller, and they want to sell it to women to generate demand. Rolex watches, especially rotating bezel models, tend to wear small because the dial isn't large. I expect that the 37mm would wear tiny compared to your Speedy. The Speedy has a large dial for it's size. I think you'd be perfectly fine with the 40mm YM.
    You've got me convinced - that's the 37mm option out. Thank you :)

Master
    Smart choice.

Master
    I had a TT YM with white dial many years ago which I will always regret selling. Gorgeous and versatile watch and you would enjoy it I am sure.

Master
    It's not as nice looking as the earlier Pt dial imho.

As to resale and value retention, personally I couldn't care less. I didn't get into luxury watches to then worry about the financial implications, it ruins the joys of owning such an item.

Craftsman
    I've got one , bought just before the price rise .

I ordered one which came almost immediately, I put a Panerai in as px which realised me more than I thought it was worth , but no discount on the watch .

I usually wear a non date sub during the day for work .

I've got a Blnr which is getting no wrist time at all , a white faced Daytona which is getting very little wrist time , the one I'm wearing the most is the Yachtmaster

When the blue YM came out I tried one on and was left unimpressed to be honest , I do regret not buying a Platinum YM about ten years ago , but the Rhodium dial model is far better than both of them imho.

Make of that what you will.
    Last edited by Buster73; 18th April 2017 at 18:34.

Grand Master
    I`ve always liked the Yachtmaster but there's no way I`d entertain owning one. That bezel is trouble waiting to happen, it's all too easy to get it dinged and marked and after that it'll never be the same again. I like watches that can be refinished readily, or watches with bezel inserts that can be replaced for sensible money if they get damaged. This one fails on both counts.

I`ve seen a few sad older examples and they can get quite scruffy. Getting the case finished is no problem, it's that bezel that's the issue.

I`d think v. carefully before spending on one.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`ve always liked the Yachtmaster but there's no way I`d entertain owning one. That bezel is trouble waiting to happen, it's all too easy to get it dinged and marked and after that it'll never be the same again. I like watches that can be refinished readily, or watches with bezel inserts that can be replaced for sensible money if they get damaged. This one fails on both counts.

I`ve seen a few sad older examples and they can get quite scruffy. Getting the case finished is no problem, it's that bezel that's the issue.

I`d think v. carefully before spending on one.

Paul
    I've seen a pictorial showing how one of the highly respected USA independent service shops (I think it was ABC watch werks) refinish that bezel. The results were remarkably good. They used a combination of polishing, and sand blasting using various masked patterns and different media types. I'm sure it was a lot of work, but it looked good.

Apprentice
    Gotta say I love that, I like the subtle differences in tones across the face, case and bezel and the blue highlights for contrast.

If you like it, it looks good on, and you want to own a watch for enjoyment alone then go for it!

Hell I'd buy yours a few years down the line if you tired of it, so there must be a market out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen a pictorial showing how one of the highly respected USA independent service shops (I think it was ABC watch werks) refinish that bezel. The results were remarkably good. They used a combination of polishing, and sand blasting using various masked patterns and different media types. I'm sure it was a lot of work, but it looked good.
    Expensive Im guessing - but at least there are options...

...how much is a new platinum insert anyone?

Edit:- My initial lazy internet search showed a couple of £600/650 cited costs on various forums - and, naturally, this involves the lads at rolex keeping the original.

Refurbishment is also available within reason too apparently - to a decent standard.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 18th April 2017 at 20:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post

When the blue YM came out I tried one on and was left unimpressed to be honest , I do regret not buying a Platinum YM about ten years ago , but the Rhodium dial model is far better than both of them imho.
    Intersting I tried both the rhodium dial and blue dial on a few weeks ago. I was far more taken with the blue dial, I just felt it was more special. That being said I don't think I could bring myself to buy either new, second hand however might be a different matter.

Craftsman
    A friend of mine bought one shortly after they were released, not a model I was familiar with or had handled previously and I was hugely impressed. The dial is a thing of beauty and on a hot summers day reflected the light and looked amazing. I think it's one of those watches that is not done any justice in pictures and will really change your opinion once it's on the wrist. I have too many Rolex already and need to diversify into other brands otherwise I'd have one in a heartbeat.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyR View Post
    Intersting I tried both the rhodium dial and blue dial on a few weeks ago. I was far more taken with the blue dial, I just felt it was more special. That being said I don't think I could bring myself to buy either new, second hand however might be a different matter.
    My wife wanted me to buy the blue one but I wasn't convinced, I'd always liked the pictures of the Rhodium model and when I tried it on I was 95% there , the rest was the price to change which we got there eventually.

The upcoming price increase helped me pull the trigger quickly, saved £900 iirc , saying that I'm not really that interested in potential increase or decrease in value as I bought it to wear .

The Blnr I'm losing the love for , so I might move that on if I see another watch I fancy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Expensive Im guessing - but at least there are options...

...how much is a new platinum insert anyone?
    This was a few years ago, about 7 years ago iirc I was quoted £750.00 for the insert by RSC, or they could try a refinish with service for £650.00, with no guarantee to look like new on the bezel. It came back like new.

A full bezel was £1400.00, as the outer is Pt too

Craftsman
    I have had a platinum dial version but despite my best efforts (sold one and then bought another 6 months later) could not grow to love it.

I like the Rhodium but I don't think I like the baby blue minute hand.

Master
    Refinishing the bezel is not a problem if you have a bead-blaster, and some training. Its usually included in service price.

You need to get it on your wrist!

I had one, found it looked great in the AD and in my hand but out and about on the wrist it looked washed out against my skin tone.

It's a great watch and if it does suit you then go for it, I'm put off by the bulkier cases Subs/GMTs now since owning the SDc and Daytona so much prefer the sleaker case profile of the YM and how it sits on the wirst. Not a fan of blue but the baby blue on the dial didn't really bother me would of preferred red.

Just wish they had done the insert like the RG YM and fitted a matte ceramic one, as I feel a black insert would stop it from looking washed out on the wrist.

Price wise I picked one up from an AD with discount so would look to get one below retail but getting AD discounts is very hard, maybe have a look at grey dealers, but this is a mute point if you are certain on this model as resale doesn't matter if you are keeping it.

Looks great next to my 116500

But just on the wrist found it didn't pop
    Last edited by pitbull666; 19th April 2017 at 08:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Refinishing the bezel is not a problem if you have a bead-blaster, and some training. Its usually included in service price.
    That's good to know, they must have seen me coming then, as I was charged extra when I over polished mine to shiny and smooth. But, as said earlier they did a fantastic job of bringing it back to as it should be. The only reason I sold it was that it wasn't getting much wrist time and the funds came in handy at the time.

Do I regret selling it? No, but it is leading me down the path of getting another one at some point.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    You need to get it on your wrist!

I had one, found it looked great in the AD and in my hand but out and about on the wrist it looked washed out against my skin tone.

It's a great watch and if it does suit you then go for it, I'm put off by the bulkier cases Subs/GMTs now since owning the SDc and Daytona so much prefer the sleaker case profile of the YM and how it sits on the wirst. Not a fan of blue but the baby blue on the dial didn't really bother me would of preferred red.

Just wish they had done the insert like the RG YM and fitted a matte ceramic one, as I feel a black insert would stop it from looking washed out on the wrist.

Price wise I picked one up from an AD with discount so would look to get one below retail but getting AD discounts is very hard, maybe have a look at grey dealers, but this is a mute point if you are certain on this model as resale doesn't matter if you are keeping it.
    Great advice, thanks for this!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Agreed.....but what happens when the bezel picks up a moderate ding that's too deep to completely take out? That's the point I`m making, I've done enough refinishing to know what can and can`t be done and there comes a point where the damage can`t be removed. Personally, I don`t like wearing a watch on an everyday basis that can`t be sorted if it does get a knock; I`m v. careful with my watches but shit does happen, and it happens when you don`t expect it. If it was a cheap watch I wouldn`t worry, or if it was one I could refinish I wouldn`t worry, but for me the enjoyment of the watch would be spoiled by the concern that it could pick up very costly damage easily. There are watches in this price range that I`d own and wear, but this isn`t one of them despite the fact that I do like it.

Some folks would spend the money and wear it without worrying about damaging it......I wouldn`t and for that reason I see it as a flawed design.

Paul

I've never understood what people do to ding their watches so badly. In all the years of wearing watches I've never ever dented or dinged one so badly it's ruined the watch. I've worn Rolex and AP shooting, doing construction, cycling, swimming and all the usual stuff we do in daily and adventurous life.

Some people would have you believe Rolex breeds their own chickens, collect the eggs and then crush the eggshells to make the Yacht-Master bezel. I'm on my fourth Yacht-Master and yes it has two teeny marks on the platinum. One from where one of my twins hit the watch with a metal toy Land Rover and the other when I took a double bed to the dump on my own and somehow it got the watch when I flipped it into the large skip. I admit, that made me really tense but got home, checked it and there was another teeny mark on the bezel. Nothing to worry about or spoil the watch.

I also own the Yacht-Master II and have been wearing the Yacht-Master constantly since last October, so two small marks are fully acceptable. The other watch hasn't had a look in since. I would say the Yacht-Master is the most comfy watch I've ever owned.

What does mark is the polished part of the clasp but that doesn't just apply to the Yacht-Master.

Grand Master
    I've had watches in to refinish and I`ve been amazed at the damage people can inflict in the most inaccessible places. God knows how they do it, but some folks seem to be able to batter watches without trying. Some folks are just downright clumsy, whilst others insist on wearing their prized watch to do all manner of practical jobs.

It's the daft things that cause damage, the ones you don`t anticipate. If I was taking stuff to the local tip I wouldn`t wear a decent watch, but I`ve still managed to mark watches doing the most innocuous tasks. Lugging a bloody wheelchair into the car boot is one I recall, I somehow caught the lug of my watch (Aqua Terra) and ended up repolishing it myself. Only a minor scratch but it needed attention, but it could've been worse.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Some folks would spend the money and wear it without worrying about damaging it......I wouldn`t and for that reason I see it as a flawed design.

Paul
    Most people dont care if their watch picks up dings or scratches. They were made to be used.

The only way to keep your watch pristine is A. Never wear it at all, or B. Buy two, one to rock and one to stock.

I recently serviced a white gold submariner that looked like it'd been to Aleppo... new bezel insert, crystal, polish, and it was back to 96% like new. Owner didnt care one bit about any small remnants of dings or deeper scratches.... Most customers are like this, it's only forum types and "collectors" who cry themselves to sleep over a small nick or scratch on their precious second hand steel watch...