closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prince2; thoughts?

Journeyman

Prince2; thoughts?

I've just secured a promotion at work, but it's an analytical role and I'd like to move into a more project-management based role in the future.

I’m thinking of completing Prince2 as it seems affordable and (I think) quite well respected.

Other people have mentioned six-sigma but this seems to be more for practising project managers etc.

Any thoughts on Prince2 are definitely very welcome!

Master
    Prince 2 seems the the standard in the Uk.
    I did PMI as I was sponsored at work by a US organisation.
    Are there no courses that your work can offer on project management?
    If you can get onto a course paid for by work, and let them know that you want to move into project management, maybe they can get you into a junior role or PMO role get to a feel for the type of work.
    My formal certifications didn't start until I had several years experience (and PMi state you must have this experience befor doing their course), but the courses from work, and the experience to really helped get me going

I would do it. It's the standard PM methodology and more desired in this country at least, than others. The other ones are a bit more glam or bit more involved or just easy to read up on in half an hour i.e Agile, which is hardly a 'methodology' at all!

If your workplace are paying for you to attend a course, it'll be about three days and it's pretty straightforward. Foundation level is a doddle and passable with a couple of hours revision, the Practitioner level a little bit harder but still the whole thing - course and exams - will be done and dusted in a work week. It's all mostly common sense. Make sure you do the Practitioner level or the thing is not worth the paper it's written on IMO.
    The exam is open book IIRC. You'll consume it all, egest it all over the paper and then forget it within a couple of days.

I was told that Prince is the Public Sector methodology of choice and will definitely make a CV more attractive. Apparently Heathrow T5 was built on Prince methodology although I can't be sure of this.

Let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by scarto; 24th March 2014 at 00:50.

Looks good on your CV and companies like you to have Prince2 because thats the methodolgy they follow ... then you start working there and find its a mish mash of Prince2 and in reality to follow it strictly is burdensome and focuses too much on governence and not enough on turn around delivery.

YMMV

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    I would do it. It's the standard PM methodology and more desired in this country at least, than others. The other ones are a bit more glam or bit more involved or just easy to read up on in half an hour i.e Agile, which is hardly a 'methodology' at all!

If your workplace are paying for you to attend a course, it'll be about three days and it's pretty straightforward. Foundation level is a doddle and passable with a couple of hours revision, the Practitioner level a little bit harder but still the whole thing - course and exams - will be done and dusted in a work week. It's all mostly common sense. Make sure you do the Practitioner level or the thing is not worth the paper it's written on IMO.
    The exam is open book IIRC. You'll consume it all, egest it all over the paper and then forget it within a couple of days.

I was told that Prince is the Public Sector methodology of choice and will definitely make a CV more attractive. Apparently Heathrow T5 was built on Prince methodology although I can't be sure of this.

Let us know how you get on.
    Full support to above , i train people in Lean methodologies, within Councils and NHS Prince 2 was the project mgt tool of choice. Also private sector companies use it.

You say your promotion takes you into an analytical role, Turning to Six Sixma , unless you are in a problem solving role with lots of Reliable data i would tread carefully. Six sigma is a data based problem solving tool, i use elements of it every week

On option is to stand back and honestly say, given this role, how does my current skill set match up? Are there gaps, based on the honest analysis see whats out there that adresses these points. It might not actuallt be 6 Sigma or P2!

Both look good on your CV Only if you can say " i used P2 to XYZ " and show improvements schedule adherance or cost savings
    Last edited by higham5; 24th March 2014 at 08:30.

Journeyman
    Thanks all. I will push ahead with P2, I'm paying for it myself but it's not too expensive and I think in an age where everyone has a degree in my line or work it may help to differentiate myself from the next applicant; if only marginally.

I took the Prince 2 training, but never followed it up with the exam/cert as I was not a project manager. It did (and does) help understand the challenges and drivers of a project and if Prince 2 is used in your org, then it will no doubt help you participate in projects.

All that said - some years after doing the training I was unfortunate enough to be part of a project run by a freshly qualified (but otherwise experienced) PM. The project had very high demands, very short time-scales and a hugely profitable and high profile deliverable. After about two days the PM was dismissed midway through recounting the risk log and the new mandate was 'talk less about doing work, and do the work'.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Highly recommended.

As is 6 Sigma (although just the introduction - not the full Black Belt crap).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I haven't understood any of this thread.
    I wonder what they are talking about?
    Thank god I can retire soon.
    Happy days.

Craftsman
    As above Prince2 is the accepted PM methodology in the Public sector (Lean is very popular at the moment for other issues).

The full course can be completed in a week and I would recommend attending if the terminology is new together with pre reading the book.

Exams need to be retaken every 5 years to maintain your status.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I haven't understood any of this thread.
    I wonder what they are talking about?
    Thank god I can retire soon.
    Happy days.
    Neither have I and engineering/project management is my background.

Just goes to show what a 20 year sabbatical can do!

Our RAF station has been "leaned" and it has been an unmitigated failure. Each section has been leaned independently and is as efficient as it can be (allegedly). Right up to the point where someone actually wants something and the system fails. With something as reactive and fluid as the military (and of course with no "product"), I'm not sure lean works unless it is done properly (rather than half-cocked by muppets, as is the case with the military).

Sorry, rant over... By all accounts APMP is also a good qual in this field. I'm leaving the military in the next 18 months and will be completing this and probably P2 as well.

Master
    If you are building the channel tunnel, arranging tube rail renewal or building the shard I'm sure it's brilliant for anything else it's a p.i.t.a. and just gets in the way of actually getting on with the job.

Master
    The most valuable part of P2 is defining your project, and preferably at the beginning!

The rest of it flows from there, but I'm amazed by how many large projects don't have even basic definitions of what the project is supposed to achieve.

There might be a lot of P2 Practitioners out there, but I don't see much evidence of them actually using it....

That might be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective!

I'm doing the PRINCE2 Foundation exam tomorrow morning and the Practitioner exam on Monday.

I'm not a Project Manager but I work in an environment where most change is managed through PRINCE2 (or similar methodologies) so it's useful to be able to understand how it (should) work.

It might be worthwhile doing the course rather than self-learning, as much of the learning is about understanding the jargon, and it's also useful to understand what is meant (in PRINCE2 terms) by various phrases - they don't always have the same meaning as colloquial English.

One of the strengths of PRINCE2 is that it can be tailored to any given environment, so those people who have found it be be overly onerous may have been at the mercy of practitioners who didn't really understand it.

Must go and finish my revision now ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    If you are building the channel tunnel, arranging tube rail renewal or building the shard I'm sure it's brilliant for anything else it's a p.i.t.a. and just gets in the way of actually getting on with the job.
    Completely agree with this. If it is as easy as it sounds though, might be worth doing just to understand the jargon and talk the language, even though I an not a project manager.

PRINCE2 is a project management framework. Six Sigma is a quality management / process improvement framework. They are quite different things. Personally, I don't believe either has significant value in themselves, but understanding them is a good idea to get a big picture of management processes. It's also worthwhile looking at things like failed project post mortems to understand why many of the principles exist and, importantly, why they are not applicable in many cases. Of the two, six sigma probably has the most intrinsic value because most project management methodology is a combination of voodoo and bureaucracy, whereas quality management actually has some solid foundations.

Putting aside intrinsic practical value, the real value is more likely in having the qualification in order to show to potential employers. In that case what matters more is the kind of job you're interested in. PRINCE2 tends to be considered valuable across whole teams (not just the PM) in the UK public sector, which is where it originated. Outside of that, it's perhaps useful if you want to be a PM (although many prefer PMBOK as it is more pragmatic and less prescriptive; they have about equal standing AKAIK although preferences will of course vary between companies and sectors). Six Sigma is more likely to be valuable if you are moving into QA or more senior management, since it is more process-oriented and less project-oriented.

You might also find if you are primarily doing software that something like Scrum is more valuable, but again it largely depends which industry you are in. That said I find "qualified Scrum Master" somewhat ironic whenever I see it on a CV, as it goes against the core principles of Scrum. It's just one in a long line of well-meaning processes to have been subverted by bureaucrats and HR departments that demand qualifications over experience.

Personally I'm qualified in none of them, but have read a lot about all of them and try to keep up with new ones as they come out, like Kanban. Ignoring on-paper qualifications, this gives me the best all-round view of lots of tools that can each be used on a per-project basis depending on things like the team, the client, constraints, etc. Just knowing a methodology does not in itself make you a PM. Even the most prescriptive of frameworks is still just a set if guidelines and templates that need to be adapted appropriately, at which point it's essential to understand how and when they should be used, or avoided. Whether this approach would work for you, I cannot say, but I think it's a good idea to do it anyway if you intend to manage actual projects. One of the core principles of the agile movement that is often overlooked, but applicable in all cases is "people over processes" or perhaps more accurately: adapt your processes to fit the people and not the other way around.

PRINCE2 probably has the worst reputation for being used as a blunt instrument by inexperienced PMs, resulting in a lot of project failures. That's one reason why it often doesn't carry a lot of weight outside the public sector, although a good PM is clearly a good PM even if PRINCE2 is the only thing they do. I've met PMs on all sides of this one.

My recommendation would be to buy a cheap introductory book on project management that is process-agnostic or covers a few of them. Read that to understand what is common to all of them and what differences each one emphasises, and go from there.

Interesting read thanks. Would you recommend a particular book?

This thread gets even more incomprehensible.

In my business I value experience over (most) qualifications.
    Qualifications are generally easily gained. Experience takes a lot longer.

Journeyman
    Thanks again for the further replies.

As mentioned, it's not necessarily something that I will utilise all the time but it could help differentiate me from the next candidate when I look for my next role.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    PRINCE2 is a project management framework. Six Sigma is a quality management / process improvement framework. They are quite different things. Personally, I don't believe either has significant value in themselves, but understanding them is a good idea to get a big picture of management processes. It's also worthwhile looking at things like failed project post mortems to understand why many of the principles exist and, importantly, why they are not applicable in many cases. Of the two, six sigma probably has the most intrinsic value because most project management methodology is a combination of voodoo and bureaucracy, whereas quality management actually has some solid foundations.

Putting aside intrinsic practical value, the real value is more likely in having the qualification in order to show to potential employers. In that case what matters more is the kind of job you're interested in. PRINCE2 tends to be considered valuable across whole teams (not just the PM) in the UK public sector, which is where it originated. Outside of that, it's perhaps useful if you want to be a PM (although many prefer PMBOK as it is more pragmatic and less prescriptive; they have about equal standing AKAIK although preferences will of course vary between companies and sectors). Six Sigma is more likely to be valuable if you are moving into QA or more senior management, since it is more process-oriented and less project-oriented.

You might also find if you are primarily doing software that something like Scrum is more valuable, but again it largely depends which industry you are in. That said I find "qualified Scrum Master" somewhat ironic whenever I see it on a CV, as it goes against the core principles of Scrum. It's just one in a long line of well-meaning processes to have been subverted by bureaucrats and HR departments that demand qualifications over experience.

Personally I'm qualified in none of them, but have read a lot about all of them and try to keep up with new ones as they come out, like Kanban. Ignoring on-paper qualifications, this gives me the best all-round view of lots of tools that can each be used on a per-project basis depending on things like the team, the client, constraints, etc. Just knowing a methodology does not in itself make you a PM. Even the most prescriptive of frameworks is still just a set if guidelines and templates that need to be adapted appropriately, at which point it's essential to understand how and when they should be used, or avoided. Whether this approach would work for you, I cannot say, but I think it's a good idea to do it anyway if you intend to manage actual projects. One of the core principles of the agile movement that is often overlooked, but applicable in all cases is "people over processes" or perhaps more accurately: adapt your processes to fit the people and not the other way around.

PRINCE2 probably has the worst reputation for being used as a blunt instrument by inexperienced PMs, resulting in a lot of project failures. That's one reason why it often doesn't carry a lot of weight outside the public sector, although a good PM is clearly a good PM even if PRINCE2 is the only thing they do. I've met PMs on all sides of this one.

My recommendation would be to buy a cheap introductory book on project management that is process-agnostic or covers a few of them. Read that to understand what is common to all of them and what differences each one emphasises, and go from there.
    ^^^^^^
    This, all day long.
    I've been a PM for 12 years and this is spot on

I now begin to understand why English is stated to be one of the most difficult languages to learn
    We have converted it into a morass of jargon IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Spk View Post
    Thanks again for the further replies.

As mentioned, it's not necessarily something that I will utilise all the time but it could help differentiate me from the next candidate when I look for my next role.

I've done the practitioner level course ...... I do think it helps differentiate from others when applying for jobs and some job ads I've seen also state it as a desirable .

Still never used it in anger though !!!!

Master
    That is just the HR disease as highlighted above. If you ever have to deal with Requirements Management a lot of companies will specify you must be proficient with DOORS forgetting that it is nothing but a tool to help do a job. Its like asking a highly accomplished sculptor if they have a level 5 certificate in safe chisel usage, more or less meaningless skills requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by steviefleming View Post
    I've done the practitioner level course ...... I do think it helps differentiate from others when applying for jobs and some job ads I've seen also state it as a desirable .

Still never used it in anger though !!!!
    Exactly. This is a classic example of a qualification that seems to be desirable on paper - and I've seen it frequently on Job ads.

However it practically has no real use.

I'd say it's somewhat useful for someone who is new to Project Management/Business Analysis - less than a year's practical experience - in that it wraps some flesh around the bones of what you are doing day to day and gives context.

For something that can be achieved in a week, you've not got anything to lose, especially if your workplace are paying for it.

I will be starting Prince2 via work, although I am not a project manager (or even a manager) and not really involved in projects! However, for developmental purposes I thought it would be valuable.

Has anyone recently completed Prince2 and would be grateful for any hints and tips for course/exams.

With all due respect to people working in this world (and in this thread), I agree with the other posters saying that it's completely and utterly incomprehensible to the outsider. (Googled some if this, and was even more confused).

In a lot of ways, the corporate world seems to have gone utterly mad. I am involved (peripherally) with a large high-street name, and their ability to make a total and utter balls-up of much of what they do never ceases to amaze me. I realise most of their projects are going to be complicated, but if people are trying to communicate in this kind of uneccessary doublespeak, then it certainly explains much of the chaos. It makes legal-speak look positively unambiguous.

It's beyond parody imo. Common sense made difficult- to the nth degree.

(Apologies for impinging on what may be an otherwise serious thread - or an episode of Brass Eye).
    Last edited by robcat; 20th April 2017 at 19:58.

Whatever you do... make sure you don't lose sight of common sense and the application of experience to situations. PRINCE2 has much common sense to its methods - I've been using it for many years.

SCRUM/Agile? Run. Run for the hills.... Think "Stepford Wives" crossed with the cult religion of your choice. I would happily punch my boss in the face if I weren't to be sacked for it. His application of Scrum to everything is rapidly ruining our office. Hateful.

I have started reading the manual and at this early stage it is mind boggling. I have slowed the pace down and started making notes which has helped with information rentention and understanding.

A previous post mentioned application by the lightest touch which I think would work in my workplace as opposed to the full A-Z application.

Master
    I have been trained in it and used in a fair few projects from systems implementation to factory builds. As mentioned before if you use it with a bit of common sense and you have some projet experience then it all comes together and really helps.
    It also really pays off when there are a lot you trained and understanding what it is all about then everyone works in the same way and uses the same language etc.
    Get yourself trained on it as it will certainly not do any harm and most likely will make you more effective !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I have started reading the manual and at this early stage it is mind boggling. I have slowed the pace down and started making notes which has helped with information rentention and understanding.

A previous post mentioned application by the lightest touch which I think would work in my workplace as opposed to the full A-Z application.
    Prince2 is like any tool the more you use it, the better you get with it, and the more you realise you can use it for other applications, and the more you will be able to pick and choose which bits work in which situations.
    They key is to start putting in the time that mastery of any tool/sport/hobby requires.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    After about two days the PM was dismissed midway through recounting the risk log and the new mandate was 'talk less about doing work, and do the work'.
    Found tis amusing my parted company with our new, highly paid Head of Installations and Training recently for those very reasons. She tied the Project Management Team up in spreadsheets, form filling and box ticking, so much so that the customers installs and training weren't getting done and the revenue wasn't coming in.

But having it on your CV can do you no harm.

Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    But having it on your CV can do you no harm.
    Perhaps if you are in that game.

On the whole it's b@ll@cks along with SAP and it's ilk.

Insisted on by those who have had to jump through similar hoops but it adds little value but creates major obfuscations.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    P2 methodology isn't bollox on its own, it's just so often used inappropriately and for business as usual when it's meant for projects.

It is however just that, a methodology, and only as good as the people using it.

APM qualifications are becoming more sought after, as they test your ability to manage projects appropriately.

I've noticed Project Controler roles are on the up too, so best bone up on MS Project or P6, and look into earned value management.

It's a merry go round!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

Insisted on by those who have had to jump through similar hoops but it adds little value but creates major obfuscations.
    Don't disagree with that at all, half the places that insist on Prince in the person specification never ever use it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    P2 methodology isn't bollox on its own, it's just so often used inappropriately and for business as usual when it's meant for projects.

It is however just that, a methodology, and only as good as the people using it.

APM qualifications are becoming more sought after, as they test your ability to manage projects appropriately.

I've noticed Project Controler roles are on the up too, so best bone up on MS Project or P6, and look into earned value management.

It's a merry go round!
    1+.

I completed APM as the business were pushing people into it. Seems to be preferred at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

I have not worked with any project management 'specialists' who used Prince but I have worked with a lot of them who apply whatever methodology extends the scope and duration of the project (to their financial advantage) that they were supposed to manage.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I have not worked with any project management 'specialists' who used Prince but I have worked with a lot of them who apply whatever methodology extends the scope and duration of the project (to their financial advantage) that they were supposed to manage.
    That reminds me of one of my favourite Demotivators:

https://despair.com/collections/demo...cts/consulting

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    PRINCE2 has much common sense to its methods - I've been using it for many years.

SCRUM/Agile? Run. Run for the hills....
    This times a thousand.

I first got Prince2 qualified over a decade ago and have recertified twice. Elements of it are used in every organisation I've been in over that time period - possibly as I have largely been in one sector (Financial Services). It's a really good way of logically ordering the processes in your head, even if your company uses different terms for deliverables or stages/phases.

Very useful - probably essential - on your CV if you're doing contract Financial Services IT PMing.

Half-baked buzzword-chasing "Semi-Scrum" or "Agile-Like" internal processes are the bane of my existence.

Journeyman
    This is an interesting thread, and some of the comments have made me laugh. To the OP nothing wrong with taking Prince2 PMP etc shows desire and initiative. I'm in Engineering consultancy and have worked for a few company's all of which have had their slightly different way of delivering large complex projects, and none of them have used a 'standardised' method. Best advice I've given to people wanting to get into Project Management is this - find a PM in your organisation that is flat out and ask him if you can lend a hand. You'll pick up a huge amount from that. After that you'll be off and running. People will recognise the PM actives you've done more than the qualification. Also no ones going to give you PM position once you've done some training, someone might give you a PM position if you've been working on a project assisting the PM.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    P2 has been used in all the companies I have worked in and there is some good advice on this thread. It can be very useful. And a lot of it seems like just common sense. But it's a great way to remember to do things, and have a standard approach to work, so nothing gets forgotten. Also very true that you can't blindly follow every aspect of it, as that won't work. So P2 and some common sense is a good approach to use.

Grand Master
    Weirdly i haven't seen Prince2 in a few years now, as a government department you'd think we would use it, but we moved to other tools long ago.

As for any of the tools, that is all they are, a tool, you need a qualified team who have the resource and clear terms of reference for what they're job is within the project. I rarely see that occurring well.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I will be starting Prince2 via work, although I am not a project manager (or even a manager) and not really involved in projects! However, for developmental purposes I thought it would be valuable.

Has anyone recently completed Prince2 and would be grateful for any hints and tips for course/exams.
    I've done the 5 day PRINCE2 course this week, (Tuesday to this morning).
    I'd like to think I'm reasonably intelligent and have been involved in PM activities for quite a few years within HP.
    I did however find it a fairly taxing experience.
    Without wishing to overly put you off - I'm not sure I'd fancy tackling it without some previous project delivery experience to fall back on.
    There is an awful lot of information to assimilate in a very short space of time.
    The Foundation exam is a pretty straightforward multiple choice paper of 75 questions in an hour. It basically just tests your understanding of the key Themes/Processes/Principles.
    The Practitioner paper, (done this morning), is an altogether different animal - 2.5 hours, 80 questions, "open book".
    The tone of this exam is entirely different insofar as it is testing your ability to apply PRINCE2 to a scenario. The questions are very cleverly constructed and in many cases seek to actively mislead, (IMHO). There are only a handful of what you would say are standard "multiple choice" questions, with the vast majority being a combination of matching/conditional and addition/deletion/replacement questions that can see many combinations of choice options to a single question. Some are structured in such a way that you have to get multiple correct choices to gain a single mark. Although "open book", the questions are more about implementation of the methodology and so the "answer" isn't simply there to be found in the book - it's difficult to explain, but I have to say it's a very skilfully thought through questioning strategy.

I won't find out for a couple of weeks how I have actually done - but I am far from certain that I did enough to pass. We shall see!

Having now been through it - I would suggest lots of pre-course study, (don't book the course too late to give yourself prep time), and spend time getting accustomed to the Practitioner level questions as they are complexly structured and are liberally sprinkled with red herrings!

Best of luck with it!

Rich

Banned
    Blog Entries
    yep loved his return, one of my favorites,

I work in this area. What you tend to find is that it's a requirement for the cv when applying for new roles, but once in the role it won't help much at all and experience is more valuable. If you are going to do a certification then you have prince2 or apmp to choose from. Personally there isn't much practical difference, but prince2 is a bit more process driven and apmp is a bit 'softer'.
    If you can get your company to pay for it I'd recommend doing it for the day you write your cv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having retired I can say with complete confidence after a career in project management that PRINCE2 is utter rubbish. It may help in large software development but I very much doubt that given some of the disasters that have occurred when using it as a planning and control tool.
    It is not a replacement for common sense and hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Having retired I can say with complete confidence after a career in project management that PRINCE2 is utter rubbish. It may help in large software development but I very much doubt that given some of the disasters that have occurred when using it as a planning and control tool.
    It is not a replacement for common sense and hard work.
    Quite right.
    It is nevertheless a filter for Contracting jobs in my market sector.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    PRINCE2 probably has the worst reputation for being used as a blunt instrument by inexperienced PMs, ..., although a good PM is clearly a good PM even if PRINCE2 is the only thing they do...

This!
    PRINCE2 can be heavy on the paperwork and process, which gets on the way (=delay) of actually getting things done. Most organisations take the bits of it they need and rebrand it. APMP is generic and uses the same principles. All the PMs I have worked with have been PRINCE2 practitioners but the best ones take the bits they need to get the job done. The worst ones just apply it all by rote as a tedious process.

Hello

Dear all,

I am a civil servant and likely to have to do Prince2 or something called APMP.

Any advantages/disadvantages with either please.

Kind regards,

Ben

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Dear all,

I am a civil servant and likely to have to do Prince2 or something called APMP.

Any advantages/disadvantages with either please.

Kind regards,

Ben
    What's your job Ben, and how do you expect to be involved in projects - running as a PM, project team member or assessing delivery and looking at benefits realisation?