closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grovana brand

Grovana brand

Does anyone know anything about the pedigree/quality of the Grovana brand? I like the look of their Coral Reef dive watch but want to know if they are respected, or basically, any good.

I notice that both Steinhart (http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index...14&Sel_ID=9#14) and Robert-Uhren (http://www.watchesandwinders.de/prod...9fb56206f09b2b) make an almost identical looking watch. What's the catch?

Cheers,
    Jon

Warning Rolex fans, heresy in this post!

I don't know about any 'catch', but here's my take on the Grovana Coral Reef II. I like it. I bought one from a UK seller a while back, when the exchange rate was still almost reasonable.

IMO, it's what the Rolex Sub should have become by now. It's bigger, more legible and with a less verbose dial. Construction quality is very good. At one point I had an LV and the Grovana. The LV is gone (though I did like the Maxi dial), the Grovana is still around:

In my world, the Maxi dial markers on a Grovana-sized dial/watch would be choice!

I've been tempted by them as well (especially the red bezel one that Nalu has), as I found that I wanted something a bit bigger than the Marcello C Nettuno 3 I had, but a bit smaller than the Tridente. The Grovana splits the difference nicely.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

As far as I know the Steinhart (Robert, same thing) Ocean and GMT Ocean are made by Grovana - hence the similarity. I have heard good things about them, don't have one myself, but my Steinhart B-Uhr is excellent.

i've not seen the Grovana but there was an interesting review of one not long ago on WUS by a forum regular. it was actually rather revealing and not necessarily in a good way though the review did give the watch a 'passing' grade.

might want to use their search function and read it.

Re: Grovana brand

:)
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Grovana's is more like an OEM compnay, thier man bread and butter is Revue-Thommon since 2002.

I have had a Grovana Corel Reef for about 18 months and I think its superb value for money

Without sounding like a sales advert, its got good build quality, excellent bracelet, thick sapphire crystal, eta movement and a 42mm case.

In the reviews I have read it compares favourably to a Sub and cost a little over £200 - whats stopping you

Lee

Journeyman

Have a look at this, all great until the QC issues raised recently. I googled cos I was interested.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=145147

It just looks like yet ANOTHER rolex wannabe

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by dogpuf
    I have had a Grovana Corel Reef for about 18 months and I think its superb value for money

Without sounding like a sales advert, its got good build quality, excellent bracelet, thick sapphire crystal, eta movement and a 42mm case.

In the reviews I have read it compares favourably to a Sub and cost a little over £200 - whats stopping you

Lee
    Lee - I hope you are right as I've just picked up one of these LNIB for a snip! - I had a Seamaster a while ago & tbh the timekeeping was poor so I flipped it for a similar looking O&W which keeps much better time at a fraction of the price ... Paul ;)

Cheap as chips from Germany...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Swiss-Made-Grovan ... p1638.m122

Don't know how to condense the link, sorry.

I would be interested to hear from a current owner about the quality of these. Maybe worth getting and wearing before splashing out on a ROLEX only to flip it shortly after.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JC180

I would be interested to hear from a current owner about the quality of these. Maybe worth getting and wearing before splashing out on a ROLEX only to flip it shortly after.
    The person who made the comment rather undermined his post by listing the existence of a Sellita movement amongst his "negatives". Nothing wrong with Sellita's 2824 clone.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I've put my money where my mouth is and invested in this Grovana/Steinhart GMT

Eta movement
    Thick Sapphire crystal
    Quality Case and bracelet with screw links

Makes for an excellent 'Swiss' watch for Seiko money

How much is a Rolex GMT or an Omega SMP GMT ?

Lee

Don't use the URL tags, just post the link without them.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman

That's a great price you found there until I noticed they want $50 postage to the UK :shock: - Furtunately the almost new one I picked up is coming RMSD from UK for six quid!
    Paul ;)

Eta movement
    Thick Sapphire crystal

Lee
    You don't mind wearing a Rolex wannabe then? All these never heard of companies that knock out Rolex look-a-likes are just about as bad as companies that make fake Rolexs. If you can't afford the real thing, why not just buy a fake Rolex? that way, at least more people will actually think you've got one, wearing a rolex look-a-like isn't going to fool some people and they'll just think "there goes a person who desperately wants a Rolex but can't afford one"

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janus

Eta movement
    Thick Sapphire crystal

Lee
    You don't mind wearing a Rolex wannabe then? All these never heard of companies that knock out Rolex look-a-likes are just about as bad as companies that make fake Rolexs. If you can't afford the real thing, why not just buy a fake Rolex? that way, at least more people will actually think you've got one, wearing a rolex look-a-like isn't going to fool some people and they'll just think "there goes a person who desperately wants a Rolex but can't afford one"
    Firstly athough these watches are copying the style of a Rolex/Omega SMP they aren't Rolex wannabes in my opinion. One of the most important consideration for me is that this watch has a 42mm case and therefore suits my wrist. I have owned all the popular rolex watches i.e. Explorer 2, GMT Master 2, Submariner, etc. but at 40mm they are too small for my wrist. I tried to like them but £2K to £3K is too much to have in a watch that doesn't suit.

Secondly, I am lucky to be in the position to afford to buy any watch I want and regularly have several thousands invested but I find that the dearer brands exist to massage the egos of the wearers and as I have stated in previous posts, I believe that most people don't give a monkeys chuff what watch you wear no matter what a Rolex owner thinks. Also in the real world of fashion, celebrities and money, there are far more desirable watches and they all tend to be big.

Since joining this forum a short while ago my taste in watches has changed completely and I have stopped lusting after Rolex, Breitling, Panerai, Omega and I have started to appreiciate smaller brands like Marcello C, Fortis, Tutima, Sinn which is great because they are just as well made and are better value for money.

You stick to your Rolex and I'll enjoy my 'cheaper' watches

Lee

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janus
    You don't mind wearing a Rolex wannabe then?
    I guess he doesn't !
    All these never heard of companies that knock out Rolex look-a-likes are just about as bad as companies that make fake Rolexs.
    Interesting opinion. Economically and ethically questionable, but interesting nevertheless :)

I purchased a new 39 mm. Steinhart Ocean 1 a few months ago from steinhartwatches.de. The price was $370 including shipping to the U.S. The price has gone up a little since then.

I'm very satisfied. It keeps good time (+4 seconds/day), finish is good, it's solid and very comfortable. A very good value I think.

David

So, let me ask you this question then…what if a person doesn’t want a Rolex, or doesn’t like Rolex…and actually likes this particular name brand of watch? Personally, I think the watch is kind of cool looking, as would make a great watch to play with and mod.

Second thing is who are you to judge? Some people may not be able to afford a Rolex, and this to them is their grail as it gives them satisfaction.

I know I have seen lots of Rolex looks a likes, and I never once though to myself, there goes a guy with a Rolex replica, or there goes someone who cannot afford a Rolex, but bought this instead. If that is your outlook on life, it is pretty sad, and it shows you have to do a lot more maturing to do, because unless you are in that persons mind, you do not know what they are thinking.

You missing the boat here, the great thing about watches, is there is a watch out that for everyone…regardless of financial status.

Which brings me to this point…if you going to talk about watches, and you do not know the brands, or the manufacturers…Google them. You will learn something.

There is a difference between making something similar to something, and then all our counterfeiting it. You see the watches listed above can be purchased through dealers, and are not hidden in alleys.

Another thing you must consider…why insult someone else because of their choice, of watch or anything else for that matter? If it makes that person happy, then so be it…let them be happy, and enjoy what you have.

I am pretty sure that if someone came up to you, wearing a 30K BB Fifty-Fathoms, and said, wow, all you can afford is a Rolex S-D, you wouldn’t be to happy.

It sounds like your using your SD to boost your ego; this is the wrong place to do that. If you feel that need for the ohh’s and ahh’s there are plenty of Rolex Forums to go to. This is a general discussion watch forum, where we talk about every watch, watch brand, watchmaker.

I see you have a lot to learn about watches, and manners. Here is a little watch lesson, the less you spend on a watch the more you get…now I know you are asking how. Here is a simple explanation…

Patek 5002 Series $1,500,000.00 US, plus…mechanical watch that has no water resistance. Yes, it will tell you the day-date, the moonphase, the hour, and a few other things, but not to many places, you can wear it…

Suunto X Series, $200.00. Literally a watch computer that will do all of the above, then it has a GPS Function, it will do calculations for you, distance time, air around you give you the weather, it will basically do everything except brush you teeth. In addition, talk to your computer…

SHARP Atomic Watch $15.00. Deadly accurate anywhere in the world, within 1/110th of a second accurate, will do all the Patek do, more accurate, and is a compass as well.

Just because a watch cost less doesn’t mean it is any less of a watch. SINN for example, Precista, Fortis, and many other watch companies literally give you super high end, well built watches at an incredible price. The value for money on them is unbelievable.

In the end, everyone has the right to choose the watch of their liking…if you do not like it, that is your prerogative, and it is also your issue. It doesn’t give you the right to insult someone else, or their choice.

Here Here

Craftsman

I like super ''ACCURATE AND CHEAP ' atomic, and 60'S classic milsubs. I TOO appreciate an inhouse movement is more expensive. Knurling styles intrigue me and i am happy without a timing bezel also. Personaly i find the thing i'm looking for i haven't found yet either. Seriously was tempted by the zeno 300sel though and if rolex didnt have gold applied indices i might have one, esp. if there was still a tudor version. I find i VERY feel aloft to the mere 'high st. sheep', apart from the longines legend i doubt they'll have a SINGLE watchco , prs , sinn or mkii i'm interested in.
    For what they are grovana offer the look and feel of other asian sub styles like sandoz(topend) to Kronos(bottom end) et al but with the comforting 'swiss' sounding name and hq po box pretensions without being a fake(DARKSIDE). I like the no brand 2836'ers but have not handled one(?), 150m wr? A major annoyance i had with a kronos and i've heaard of grovana is the pip falling out but if you retrieve it super glue maybe. Thats why i dont like timing bezels sometimes. ANYWAY WHY NOT!, O&W GOT THEIR SUB,INVICTA & ORIENT I'D SAY THE GROOVY grovana's aLLRight in 2824 form anyway. SUPER! WEHE :blackeye: :bounce: :lol: :shock: :roll: :o :evil: :mrgreen: :drunken: E!

Craftsman

Hugh Janus - I guess as the thread about you suggests you are just here to wind people up (& bravo for that) but in respect of the above comment I hope your tongue is firmly in your cheek (!) - Some people like the look of a Sub or SM but thanks to fora like this realise you can have that look from many respectable watch companies without the ludicrous Rolex or Omega pricetag - Not everyone aspires to have people look at their watch & think "wow that guy's wearing a Rolex" - Indeed how many "normal" people even notice your watch? - Only us watch fanatics I'd bet? - Just my 2p worth ... Paul ;)

Well said John V and Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB
    Very well said John.

My attitudes are certainly changing since I joined this forum.

As a teenager sitting in David Lloyds's jacuzzi seeing all the Tag's (and being an F1 fan) made me lust after them, I wanted my father in law to treat me to one (he's a jeweller) but the tight sod bought me a citizen eco drive. I wore that and a swatch Irony for 5 years until I caught the bug, joined the forum and bought an Oris Classic pointer date, Hamilton X-Wind, a couple of Seiko's & a Casio Oceanus Manta . Yes its a casio but its all you ever need in a watch with titanium 9mm case AR sapphire, atomic accuracy, very nice legible dial and very smart as both dress and tool (ish) watch.

The point I am making is, rather than just lust after the SD's of this world, I am appreciating the 'lesser' watches that I own. I cannot yet afford to spend 1000's on a watch (26 with wife 2 kids and huge mortgage) but when I do it probably won't be for the brand name. I really enjoy wearing my Hamilton and Casio almost daily and my Oris with a suit and honestly at the moment it is all that I need. Yes I adore beautifully balanced and decorated movements and Glashutte and Dornbluth make me go weak, but that is due to the quality and engineering rather than the name.

So thank you TZ UK for realigning my warped aspirations, It has made me appreciate watches without looking straight for the brand.

Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB
    Very well said John.

My attitudes are certainly changing since I joined this forum.

As a teenager sitting in David Lloyds's jacuzzi seeing all the Tag's (and being an F1 fan) made me lust after them, I wanted my father in law to treat me to one (he's a jeweller) but the tight sod bought me a citizen eco drive. I wore that and a swatch Irony for 5 years until I caught the bug, joined the forum and bought an Oris Classic pointer date, Hamilton X-Wind, a couple of Seiko's & a Casio Oceanus Manta . Yes its a casio but its all you ever need in a watch with titanium 9mm case AR sapphire, atomic accuracy, very nice legible dial and very smart as both dress and tool (ish) watch.

The point I am making is, rather than just lust after the SD's of this world, I am appreciating the 'lesser' watches that I own. I cannot yet afford to spend 1000's on a watch (26 with wife 2 kids and huge mortgage) but when I do it probably won't be for the brand name. I really enjoy wearing my Hamilton and Casio almost daily and my Oris with a suit and honestly at the moment it is all that I need. Yes I adore beautifully balanced and decorated movements and Glashutte and Dornbluth make me go weak, but that is due to the quality and engineering rather than the name.

So thank you TZ UK for realigning my warped aspirations, It has made me appreciate watches without looking straight for the brand.

Jacob
    Very well put Jacob

Unfortunately I still had red mist in my eyes when typing my reply to this anus. :x

I am starting to think the majority of Rolex owners are like the majority of BMW owners - they think they are better than others because of their material possessions :(

Lee

Very well put Jacob

Unfortunately I still had red mist in my eyes when typing my reply to this anus. :x
    And so you should have Lee, he was way out of order, I happen to know you have good taste in watches.

I am starting to think the majority of Rolex owners are like the majority of BMW owners - they think they are better than others because of their material possessions :(
    Ooooh I wouldn't go there Lee :shock:

There are a lot of Rolex owners on this forum who may well be offended by that :D :albino:

Lee
    Don't start that old crap.

Inverted snobbery is still snobbery.

There are plenty of Rolex owners on this forum and owners I know who are of the finest kind.

You like your Rolex look-a-like fair enough but don't start lashing out at Rolex owners because you get in an argument. :roll:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C

Lee

There are plenty of Rolex owners on this forum and owners I know who are of the finest kind.

You like your Rolex look-a-like fair enough but don't start lashing out at Rolex owners because you get in an argument. :roll:
    Oh dear don't say I didn't warn you :cry: :blackeye: :blackeye:

Craftsman

I have a weird notion. Let's return to the original jist of this post. The rest of you can feck off to the bear pit for a tangle.

Now as for the Grovana. I have enough for a rolex (even with the wife and 2 kids) However, I also have a conscience and realise I could buy a grovana and a summer hol for the family, or I could own a rolex, which would look almost entirely out of place with the rest of my happy life. As for people noticing it, it would more likely be 'have I hit it off something yet?'

These grovana look particularly nice! Anyone have any other opinions than whetheror not they offend the sensibilities of some rolex owners. I have a great Alpha sub clone.Looks the part, wears well, very very accurate, with a hacking and windable movement as well. However, I would not take it near a pool cause of the supposed 30m rating. So, the notion of a 300m rated sapphire crystal sub wearalike (i prefer this term as i am aiming for a comfortable watch, not to fool the rest of the world into thinking its something its not) appeals to me greatly.

I would therefore appreciate any further comments in a positive or negative light on the watch itself, not the pedigree, history or the attempted associations. Just whether it works or not and will it survive a 7 and a 3 year old knocking it off a wall.

Cheers :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by macbigyin
    I have enough for a rolex
    Having 'enough' for one and affording one is an entirely different matter.

I have enough for a Rolex too it's only I cannot afford one, i.e. the money would be put to better use or needed elsewhere.

Afford definition:

To be able to do, manage, or bear without serious consequence or adverse effect, to be able to meet the expense of; have or be able to spare the price of.

So you see...

Thomas Reid

I have enough for a Rolex too it's only I cannot afford one, i.e. the money would be put to better use or needed elsewhere.

Afford definition:

To be able to do, manage, or bear without serious consequence or adverse effect, to be able to meet the expense of; have or be able to spare the price of.

So you see...
    That, in blue, can't be quite right. As one might have zillions extra, and there be better use for it. I think it is the "serious consequences or adverse effect" in the definition that's key. So, for example, say, hypothetically of course, that I have 4 -5 thousand in my watch fund, but think there is a better use for it, perhaps buying tools, and other bits. But since it is in a watch fund, which, presumably, is in some way "extra" money, I might be said to be able to afford (a cheapish) one.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier

Afford definition:

So you see...
    That, in blue, can't be quite right. As one might have zillions extra, and there be better use for it. I think it is the "serious consequences or adverse effect" in the definition that's key. So, for example, say, hypothetically of course, that I have 4 -5 thousand in my watch fund, but think there is a better use for it, perhaps buying tools, and other bits. But since it is in a watch fund, which, presumably, is in some way "extra" money, I might be said to be able to afford (a cheapish) one.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Well said Bob, in that case I suppose the question is the following;

Will forgoing the summer holiday lead to serious consequences or have an adverse affect in some way?

Depending on the answer, our friend from Belfast can or cannot afford a Rolex.

I for one cannot buy a rolex unless I sell one of my cars, stop paying school fees uninsure the cars stop letting my wife shop for clothes, etc etc. All you will agree (especially the latter :shock: :shock: ) will have serious consequences.

Learn to do what your wife does...

STASH MONEY! LOL!

Seriosuly, anyone can afford a Rolex, if they save for it, and it would not take too long, the question truly boils down to, do you want one or not.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Vargas
    Learn to do what your wife does...

STASH MONEY! LOL!

Seriosuly, anyone can afford a Rolex, if they save for it, and it would not take too long, the question truly boils down to, do you want one or not.

Regards,

John
    Of course I want one, the problem is however twofold:

1) The wife will not allow me to 'waste' money on an expensive watch

2) I cannot save at the moment, final year university, large mortgage, 2 cars etc etc. Maybe once I have qualified and let things settle down, at the moment priority is paying the bills :mrgreen:

P.s. Have you seen the cost of things over here??

House cost me $550,000
    Cars $35,000
    Annual insurance $3000
    Fuel $2.30 litre
    Gas and eletricity $4,400 p.a.
    Local tax $3000

Etc.... you get the gist.

It is the same everywhere! I know how it is. Our dollar is so weak, that is take three dollars to do what one dollar did last year.

When you finish school, and get into a better financial situation, then you start to save. My advice is never charge a watch!

You will get there one day!

John

When you finish school
    University :wink:

My advice is never charge a watch!
    Don't know what that means? :roll: :?

Blog Entries

[quote=JC180]
    When you finish school
    University :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by "John Vargas":ravhmfrg
    My advice is never charge a watch!
    Don't know what that means? :roll: :?[/quote:ravhmfrg]

......put it on credit.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C

Lee

Agreed - with a dose of unpleasant self-righteousness to boot.

Just use your wife's "escape fund", she'll probably never need it. :lol:

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

the cat is really amongst the pidgeons here :lol:

I'm not saying that if a person can't afford a Rolex they're some kind of low life.... not at all, what I'm saying is that buying a Rolex-a-like (fake in my book) and then trying to kid on to everybody (including yourself) that it's what you actually wanted anyway, is just plain daft :?

why not buy a Fake Rolex if you want the look?

Master

I don't think you have listened at all. Watch size is a tricky issue. If some guy wants a 42mm or larger sub but Rolex don't make it then it is fine IMHO to buy something from someone else that does the job. For me I have small wrists and I hate wearing anything uncomfortable so I wear a 40mm or whatever PRS-14 on a genuine Omega bracelet because the Omega bracelets are fantastically comfortable (and it looks gr8).

Watch designs are so generic you almost can't get away from something looking like something else? Am I a fake for wearing a watch that is very obviously styled after an old SM300? Are the PRS-20 Italian owners fakes for having something obviously Paneriash?

Something like a SD would probably suit me down to the ground but I doubt I will ever buy one because the attitudes associated with this brand, some of which we have sadly seen in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Just use your wife's "escape fund", she'll probably never need it. :lol:

Eddie
    Don't know about John, but my wifes 'escape fund' is all of £50, wouldn't get her a cab to the airport let alone a Rolex for me! she does have my credit cards though :shock: :shock:

Sorry University! Here in the US we regard any educational faculty as school...it is easier!

See here in the several variations of higher education. We have Technical Institutes, Institute of Technology, Technical Schools, Trade Schools, Art Schools of higher learning, higher schools of the arts…then you have Community College that will only give you an Associate’s Degree, then a College, and the highest degree you can earn at a College is a Bachelor’s. Then you have your standard University that only can offer you a Masters Degree as the highest degree that you can earn. Then you have the second version of University, there you can earn you J.D., Ph.D., and continue with Post Graduate studies.

Now, you see why we and I just say when you finish school! LOL!

Grand Master

Sorry University! Here in the US we regard any educational faculty as school...it is easier!
    The term "school" is infrequently used in the UK for specific higher education institutions: drama school, business school for example. Explaining to people that it's possible to go to school right after graduating from university, for those familiar with the concept of higher education, can occasionally take a little time :D

Master
    Blog Entries

Does the Grovana date magnifier work??

I had a Marcello Tridente and never felt happy about the magnifier, seemed to have little effect. The Rolex cyclops does do the job well - I've heard it is x2.5 whereas non-Rolex seem to be x1.5 - never actually measured it myself.