closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are Omega becoming the new Tag?

Are Omega becoming the new Tag?

I've been pondering this for a short while :albino:

I think Omega are fast becoming the new Tag, you know... when people aspire to own a status symbol, but can't quite afford the "proper" status symbols eg, Rolex etc, but can get together a grand and need something that the masses will recognise :lol:

flame suit on and waiting for the heat to arrive :P

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com

Re: Are Omega becoming the new Tag?

I don't necessarily think that they are becoming the new TAG, it's more a case of TAG realigning itself in the market, almost becoming the new Omega.

TAG seem to have improved their QC, and with some handsome new and aspirational models, and a move away from what was once a predominently quartz range, they seem to be having some success.

A few years ago, I wouldn't really have wanted any of the watches in the TAG range, but there are one or two that might tempt me.

Watches for most people are either a necessity, or a purchase driven by what they perceive to be fashionable. Those who are not WIS or watch aware will buy the one that attracts them most, which is still, at least I'm pretty certain is still, Omega, because of their reputation and history. They once would probably have bought TAG, because of the price advantage, but now that TAG has started to trade on quality again rather than fashion, their prices have risen to Omega level, and potential buyers faced with the choice of similar models at similar prices have started to go for Omega instead.

I remember back in the 90's when everybody aspired to a Tag F1, it was a status symbol to have a TAG on your wrist whilst you went down your local Ritzys night club :shock: stinking of Kouros aftershave, with your girlfriend called Tracey

Now that people generally earn more, they want status symbols that match their earnings and seem to go for Omegas, they can't quite afford the next step up of Rolex, Breitling, IWC etc... but still want a watch to flash around down the pub, a watch that makes them look king ding-a-ling for being able to spend a few hundred (maybe even over the magical 1k mark, bigger bragging rights if they hit the "thousands" bracket) on a watch

I would happily wear a watch that cost a few pounds, it's not the price that attracts me 100% to a watch (although, if i'm being honest, the price usually does has something to do with it... i'll admit to liking status symbols, most people do, but you'd be hard pressed to find people willing to be honest about it like me...especially on internet forums) .... i just can't get past the watch brands that are bought by poor people who've managed to coble together some money for their one big status symbol and shove it under the nose of everybody who'll look at it, and these people tend to go for Omegas these days

Slightly OT, why dont Tag Heuer drop the "Tag".....plain "Heuer" has far more kudos in my opinion, TH always brings to mind the cheap looking offerings from the 80/90's
    I sent my early 80's Heuer 2000 desk diver away many moons ago for a battery change & re-seal, they called me and asked if I'd like a new Tag Heuer dial fitted for free....I politely declined

I dont think that Omega need to reinvent there past to give themselves a future , I am getting so so tired of retro tag's :evil: why not spend a few quid extra and buy an original heuer?????

Take and old seamaster 300 and the shape of the modern seamaster/ planet ocean it still has the same classic case design.
    My personal favorite is the speedmaster virtually unchanged for 50 years apart from a movement change 30 years ago. :lol:

I just wish that omega would refrane from 007 limited editions 8)

It's odd that it wasn't that long ago there was a thread entitled is Omega becoming the new Rolex?

I think the new batch of Omegas are almost as expensive as the Breitlings, Rolexs

I think this Topic is about 2-3 years out of date because before the Planet ocean and the new Coaxial range you could get a SMP Quartz or Auto for £800 or £1000 respectively which is Tag Money. Omega have moved on and upwards.

I myself after initially lusted after Omega, Rolex, Breitling watches, but now after owning/wearing them realise that most people don't give a monkey's chuff what you have on you wrist and the rest think its a Fake

I have moved over to more WIS appreiciated watches such a Sinn, Tutima, Marcello C, IWC, Temption, UTS, etc. watches that Joe public don't really have any appreciation of, but the wearer does! which to me is the important thing :albino:

Master

Other than the Aquagraph, we really cannot compare TAG product line to Omega's.

Craftsman

I have a newish Tag Heuer and its a rather nice watch.....

I do not think Tag and Omega will ever “meet on the level” so to speak.

Omega has come out with some really good watches in the last few years. Some of their watches have Piguet Movements in them.

I do not think Tag will ever put anything of that quality in their watches.

Prior to the merger of Tag and Heuer, Heuer held a high place in “ranking”. It was the first watch the US used on an EVA Mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janus
    Yes. :D

john
    Every watch a story.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Yes. :D

john

Well, now that John has officially decreed Omega the new "Tag"...I will be posting my NIB with all the stickers, seals, paperwork, documentation, and numbers NASA Issue Speedy Pro on the sales forum...

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Vargas
    Well, now that John has officially decreed Omega the new "Tag"...I will be posting my NIB with all the stickers, seals, paperwork, documentation, and numbers NASA Issue Speedy Pro on the sales forum...
    Well, if you're not going to wear it... ;)

Omega's PR is a bit heavy-handed, IMHO. Bit like Tag's.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master

Omega has come out with some really good watches in the last few years. Some of their watches have Piguet Movements in them.

I should hope not - that Piquet chrono has a bit of a duff reputation...

Tag's calibre 360 is a fine example of the watchmaker's art. And isn't the calibre 36 basically an El Primero?

I honestly can't think of a single 'modern' Omega I'd buy. Though there are several watches in the TAG lineup that I could.

Older Omegas were wonderful inspirational designs, modern Omegas simply don't inspire. Oh, and they're over priced for what they are.

I'll get my coat........................
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I like Tag's.. I have four,
    I like Omega's.. I have three..
    I don't like Rolex's.. So i've only got one..(inherited)

If i like a watch, I'll wear it, whether its 2K or 20 quid.
    I don't get this brand snobbery.
    I wear a TAG because i like it, not because I can't afford an Omeaga..
    I wear an Omega because I like it, not because I can't afford a Rolex..
    I wear the Rolex in honour and memory of my Dad,

If we were all the same...etc etc..

i couldn't wear a £20 watch... it would make me feel cheap, It's one step away from shopping in ASDA :shock:

I paid £20 for a G10..
    ... and I shop at ASDA :lol:

i couldn't wear a £20 watch... it would make me feel cheap, It's one step away from shopping in ASDA :shock:
    Ha. Unless your local supermarket is Fortnum then Asda's prices are quite dear enough these days!

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall
    I paid £20 for a G10..
    ... and I shop at ASDA :lol:
    :cry: it doesn't have to be this way.....

Anyone can pay silly large amounts for watches.

It's getting them cheap where the skill lies. :wink:

Nothing wrong with a G10 or Asda IMO.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall
    I like Tag's.. I have four,
    I like Omega's.. I have three..
    I don't like Rolex's.. So i've only got one..(inherited)

If i like a watch, I'll wear it, whether its 2K or 20 quid.
    I don't get this brand snobbery.
    I wear a TAG because i like it, not because I can't afford an Omeaga..
    I wear an Omega because I like it, not because I can't afford a Rolex..
    I wear the Rolex in honour and memory of my Dad,

If we were all the same...etc etc..
    well said that man.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com

Prior to the merger of Tag and Heuer, Heuer held a high place in “ranking”. It was the first watch the US used on an EVA Mission.
    Really??

How about the El Primero??

[quote=doug darter]
    Quote Originally Posted by "John Vargas":208f31ok

Really??

How about the El Primero??[/quote:208f31ok]

Touché...you got me on that one, I did not even know they put an El Primero movement in.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Craftsman

[quote=John Vargas][quote="doug darter":3dnhc3eq]
    Quote Originally Posted by "John Vargas":3dnhc3eq

Really??

How about the El Primero??[/quote:3dnhc3eq]

Touché...you got me on that one, I did not even know they put an El Primero movement in.

Thanks for setting me straight.
    [/quote:3dnhc3eq]

Rumor has it that Tag recently made a purchase of a large lot of watch parts from Seiko to be fitted into a new line of 100% Swiss Made watches. Along the lines of the Seagull movements (and watches) Made in Germany we recently read about here.

This is an interesting topic. I bought my first "expensive" watch because I loved the look of it. It happened to be an Omega Seamaster Pro. Before I knew anything about watches my impression was that Tag's were expensive watches.

These days I think Omega is trying to get on the same playing field as Rolex. I don't think they will get there. If there was a league Table they would be behind Patek, Rolex, Panerai etc but ahead of Tag.

At the end of the day you have to wear/buy what makes you happy. I agree with the earlier comment about half the general public who don't care what watch you have and the other half think think they are fakes anyway :lol:

Brand-wise, IMHO, no.

I think TAG Heuer is a young, sporty brand - and in the 90's just about the most faked watch on the planet. Far more people asked me if my F1 Tag was fake, than has ever asked the same of any Rolex I've ever owned!!!

Omega, on the other hand, has a slightly more 'serious' image with a wide range of dress and sporty styles, and a greater 'heritage' than TAG. If anything I think Omega's new higher prices distance it further from Tag than say 5 years ago.

As a flipper, there's another point to make too.

Rolex hold their price very well - buy one today, keep it 10 years, you'll probably get back what you paid for it

Omega - you'll get a few hundred quid

Tag? maybe £100 - I'm not saying I agree, but that's what the market seems to think!!!

Blog Entries

No.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

According to an interview I read with the CEO of Omega, Omega have their sights set on becoming the next Rolex. If you look at Omega's marketing, it's not too far off from where Rolex was about 20-30 years ago. I suppose we can look forward to less tool, more bling, and continuous price hikes from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Anyone can pay silly large amounts for watches.

It's getting them cheap where the skill lies. :wink:

Nothing wrong with a G10 or Asda IMO.

£12 :)

F.T.F.A.

The way of the clouds.

Be different. Don't wear anything that is being advertised!

john
    Every watch a story.

Blog Entries

The way of the clouds.

john
    Go with the flow.......my son. :D

Cheers,

daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Journeyman

In my 40+ years of watch buying/collecting. I have had models from both T/H and Omega.

Both, IMHO are everyday wear items, there is little "upmarket" about either brand, infact apart from some technolgy bought-in from Mr Daniels.Omega are mired in the past with,say, the Speedie Pro, which while "adequate" is not an outstanding performer with a "jumpy" chrono second hand.
    At least T/H have tried to progress a little (whether good or bad is up to you)!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by orwell
    At least T/H have tried to progress a little (whether good or bad is up to you)!
    They take the movements from Zenith and brand them as their own. Where is the progress?

This watch can be wound in both directions and I don't see TH ever making one close to it.

Grand Master

No!

Well said John Wall - although I own several Omega, Breitling, etc I wear what I like & not what others like .. or think are status symbols.
    /vince ..

Master

Quote Originally Posted by adrian
    They take the movements from Zenith and brand them as their own. Where is the progress?
    Whilst shopping for a chrono (and driving myself and my wife crazy with my OCD like 'research') and leaning towards a Speedy Pro I had a play with one of these Tags in an AD...

I was pretty impressed. I thought it was beautifully finished and had a very nice bracelet. But, on the other hand it was, er, £2995. :shock: Plus once I got it moving I realised it was basically unusable as a chrono; I'm sure you could get used to it eventually, but I had to think for a split second about what the dials were registering. Plus they only have a totaliser up to 30 mins which like the McQueen Monaco which is a bit weak. So, I guess you could say Tag are innovating, but i'm not sure it is innovating or just doing something different for the sake of it. Is that what avant-garde means? :?

But, as I said, it was well made and if we are talking fit and finish I thought it was every bit as good as the comparatively prices Broad Arrow Speedmasters with the co-axial movements. IMHO I thought the Tag Grand Carreras had a nicer finish, though obviously an arguably less refined movement.

So, my sum contribution to this discussion is what exactly? :lol:

Actually I have thought of something. Couldn't one argue that in the odd case certain Omega's are better value? The Speedy pro is £1675 with Hesalite, no date and bags of character and heritage (ok, arguable heritage, nice character - works for me!). The Tag Monaco (McQueen) is plexiglass, has a date, auto movement (if rather 'vanilla'), arguable heritage and nice character, and has an RRP that is 500 more. Am I missing something?

Ultimately, I don't see how anyone can disagree with what John Wall said. If we are realistic, in a world in which Eddie produces what he does for the price he does it's slightly irrational to justify the cost of many of the 'posh' swiss names, just get what you like and post pics on here!

Master

Interesting reply, thank you. The Grand Carrera and the Mercedes Benz are the latest at TH but I think none of them can compare with this one :D

john
    I'll keep to my Damaskos and Precistas, then. :)

Interesting reply, thank you. The Grand Carrera and the Mercedes Benz are the latest at TH but I think none of them can compare with this one :D

If you like a lot of trouble with your watches. :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master

You're right. I mean, no-one else does that, do they *cough*Piquet*cough* ;)

T/H has certainly pushed the design boat out quite a bit, which certain competitors definitely haven't. Most of their new output is not to my taste, nor I suspect to the conservative mainstream's taste either. But its build quality is a match for anything else in the price range, IMHO (although I still reckon Breitling's bracelets take some beating). If I was Tag looking to go upmarket without increasing its already high prices, I'd merely delete most of the quartz divers and various multicoloured quartzes. And take a close look at economies of scale - if Longines can do a very well-built automatic diver with a premium-ish name for ~£500 before taxes, so can Tag.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ichaice
    These days I think Omega is trying to get on the same playing field as Rolex. I don't think they will get there. If there was a league Table they would be behind Patek, Rolex, Panerai etc but ahead of Tag.
    How did Panerai get there?? :)

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    By Demand dear sir. Check out their prices and the lack of a discount at their ADs :cry:

Vesper Lynd: Rolex?
    James Bond: Omega.
    Vesper Lynd: Beautiful. Now, having just met you, I wouldn't go as far as calling you a cold-hearted bastard...
    James Bond: No, of course not.
    :twisted:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    You're right. I mean, no-one else does that, do they *cough*Piquet*cough* ;)
    :lol: :lol: Point taken, but something with Schumacher's name on it is a no-go for me. :lol: :lol:

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    By Demand dear sir. Check out their prices and the lack of a discount at their ADs :cry:
    Ah, I see, you're only looking at price - well, Omega is catching up :roll: